the Ka thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: the Ka thread

Post by Employee »

unclebengi wrote:go listen to Opski Chan
Go find Ka, drop to your pre-bruised knees, and suck him off until he nuts hot, gooey philosphicz in your gaping front hole.

FanBois like yourself are the worst of the ilk because you perceive criticism of your favorite artist as a criticism of yourself.

You're wack and that's your fault, Library Rap Bitch.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Employee wrote:
Go find Ka, drop to your pre-bruised knees, and suck him off until he nuts hot, gooey philosphicz in your gaping front hole.

FanBois like yourself are the worst of the ilk because you perceive criticism of your favorite artist as a criticism of yourself.

My rap fandom don't fit in a box. Sorry. you must have been saving that insult for one of the dinosaurs round here.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

unclebengi wrote:
Employee wrote:

My rap fandom don't fit in a box. Sorry. you must have been saving that insult for one of the dinosaurs round here.
"don't fit in a box." - Please, Library Rap Bitch, you're as predictable as SYMantiks preaching to people about Black Star in 1998.

You're not next-level and you never will be; you're basic, Library Rap Bitch.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

You're an idiot and you jock 90% of the shit I champion around here.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Yes: you're the algorithm of my musical life, Library Rap Bitch.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Finding Ka boring was a hot take when Thun was doing it in 2012.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

KA is an acquired taste. I get that. I think he's awesome and a meticulous writer who's verses get better with every listen but you can't fault someone who finds him boring. At a glance, his music is boring. it requires attention.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Blockhead wrote:KA is an acquired taste. I get that. I think he's awesome and a meticulous writer who's verses get better with every listen but you can't fault someone who finds him boring. At a glance, his music is boring. it requires attention.
After paying close attention with zero distractions... he’s definitely boring.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Clean Hobo wrote:
Blockhead wrote:KA is an acquired taste. I get that. I think he's awesome and a meticulous writer who's verses get better with every listen but you can't fault someone who finds him boring. At a glance, his music is boring. it requires attention.
Well, You and emp can have a nice discussion about it then, huh?

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Blockhead wrote:
Clean Hobo wrote:
We tried. It was boring.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

Ka is good for winter listening

I'm looking foward to sitting with this new album in about 3 months

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Cant stand KA's lame whisper style rapping. And fuck this no drums bullshit. Wack album.

Love Animoss and Arch Druids production when it has drums.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

WiCkEd22 wrote:Cant stand KA's lame whisper style rapping. And fuck this no drums bullshit. Wack album.
:copy: / :leon:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Clean Hobo wrote:
I get that you have to play the diplomacy card lest you are 86'd from his list of future producers, but his rapping, his literal delivery of his written raps, possesses none of the qualities one expects from a rapper: emotion, charisma, energy, presence etc. Ka(utism) lacks each of those discernible skills and it's glaringly obvious. Even the writing is bland; there are already enough cats on Roc Cock hoping desperately to catch the next cresting wave of "gritty minimalism."

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

the Wicked co-sign, AKA the kiss of bad taste

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Couldn't be any worse than dap from your blog.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Employee wrote:Couldn't be any worse than dap from your blog.
I ain't blogged in years, but no, Wicked has the worst taste in rap of any human on planet earth

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

glad to see wicked is still around and hasn't changed

is ACthePD still around? I was on soundcloud recently and he was arguing with some artist on there about hiffhoff

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
Clean Hobo wrote:
I get that you have to play the diplomacy card lest you are 86'd from his list of future producers, but his rapping, his literal delivery of his written raps, possesses none of the qualities one expects from a rapper: emotion, charisma, energy, presence etc. Ka(utism) lacks each of those discernible skills and it's glaringly obvious. Even the writing is bland; there are already enough cats on Roc Cock hoping desperately to catch the next cresting wave of "gritty minimalism."
I literally started my point with "KA is an acquired taste". He raps quietly. His beats have no drums. OF COURSE that's not gonna be a lot of peoples bag.
I like him. you don't. We alllll get it. That's how this all works.
IMO,
He makes perfect music for walking around NYC in the winter. I understand that this may be a foreign vibe to some of you (same as "listening to music in your car" is a foreign vibe to me) but , trust me, it's a thing.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

I like Ka, but it seems he's gone too far left on what I've heard so far on this album. Yea, his music was always "arty", but there was a street element to it as well. That now seems to be gone.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Employee wrote:I get that you have to play the diplomacy card lest you are 86'd from his list of future producers, but his rapping, his literal delivery of his written raps, possesses none of the qualities one expects from a rapper: emotion, charisma, energy, presence etc. Ka(utism) lacks each of those discernible skills and it's glaringly obvious. Even the writing is bland; there are already enough cats on Roc Cock hoping desperately to catch the next cresting wave of "gritty minimalism."
It's shame your terminal laziness means you'll never get round to launching that blog of yours, as it'd be good to get all these piping hot takes stored in the same place for easy access. :arrow:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Y@k Bollox wrote:
Employee wrote:I get that you have to play the diplomacy card lest you are 86'd from his list of future producers, but his rapping, his literal delivery of his written raps, possesses none of the qualities one expects from a rapper: emotion, charisma, energy, presence etc. Ka(utism) lacks each of those discernible skills and it's glaringly obvious. Even the writing is bland; there are already enough cats on Roc Cock hoping desperately to catch the next cresting wave of "gritty minimalism."
It's shame your terminal laziness means you'll never get round to launching that blog of yours, as it'd be good to get all these piping hot takes stored in the same place for easy access. :arrow:
Employee is too busy running a sprawling real estate empire from his cousin's basement to be able to start up a hip hop blog, bro.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://nypost.com/2016/08/21/fdny-vete ... as-rapper/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FDNY veteran ‘bad-mouths’ cops in double life as rapper

By Susan Edelman
August 21, 2016 | 5:46am

A Brooklyn-based FDNY captain leads a double life as a hip-hop artist whose songs are peppered with the N-word, drugs, violence and anti-cop lyrics.

“F- -k them cops and swats with night vision,” he raps under the stage name Ka in a 2013 song. “I see your traps and your plots to dead us, y’all rolling with Kojaks, n- - -a, I got Berettas.”

In his other life, the gravelly voiced rapper is Kaseem Ryan, 44, a veteran firefighter who commands Engine Co. 235 in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

But Ka, who has rapped with the Wu Tang Clan’s GZA and whose 2013 album, “The Night’s Gambit,” made The Village Voice’s year-end list of best records, has tried to hide that career for years.

“I’m living two lives, man. I’m trying to be who I am in the day and then trying to feed my soul at night with being the artist that I want to be,” Ka said in a 2015 interview, without revealing his FDNY job.

The rapper is on Twitter as @BrownsvilleKa, projecting street cred and an anti-cop image.

In 2012, he tweeted: “Name 5 different slang words we refer to police in hip hop.” Responses included: jakes, pigs, swine, fuzz and them bitches. Ka “liked” them all.

Some NYPD members were disgusted that a fellow first responder could utter such language.

“The biases he portrays through his music are indicative of what he believes or feels,” said Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association.

“As a New York City firefighter, he should be trying to bring people together rather than fracture relationships, especially in communities of color.”

Reached at his firehouse, Ryan hung up the phone.

Ka’s lyrics describe ghetto life, a world of guns, dope and despair.

“You named them hustlers, killers, fiends, ex-cons. I called them cousins, aunts, pops, moms,” he raps on 2014’s “To Hull and Back.”

The song “Mr. Officer” bemoans police brutality against black youths. “Why do you wanna see me in a coffin, sir?” he asks.

Ka says he grew up poor, with 17 people crowded into his grandparents’ Brownsville house. His current life is far less gritty.

He made $148,558 as a fire captain last year, while selling rec­ords, CDs and T-shirts on his Web site. He and his wife, Michelle Valdez, chief creative officer for an entertainment firm founded by Pharrell Williams, own a $1.25 million brownstone in Park Slope.

Few fellow FDNYers know Ryan as a rapper. “I had no idea he was doing that on the side,” one said. “He’s really not a bad guy. But he shouldn’t be bad-mouthing cops.”

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:I like Ka, but it seems he's gone too far left on what I've heard so far on this album. Yea, his music was always "arty", but there was a street element to it as well. That now seems to be gone.
Agreed on the above. Pretty disappointed with this, both with Ka and Animoss's production. Not nearly as heavy as some of the shit Arch Druids have given Roc over the years. Both this, Samurai, & Yen Lo to be honest were a little underwhelming to me. Feel like he's a little too stuck in his lane over the last few years.

Moss

Post by Moss »

Sounds fantastic to me. I don't really agree that he's "stuck". His voice/delivery/flow isn't going to change much; I think we can all agree on that. So it seems to make sense that the best he can do to give us something fresh is to take on different themes (samurai, now Greek mythology). He's still rapping about street shit, it's just embedded more deeply in metaphors. I'm liking this album more than HKTS and as much as anything else he's done.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »