Masta Ace & MF Doom Collabo Album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

vinylpops

Masta Ace & MF Doom Collabo Album

Post by vinylpops »

On Wednesday September 14, Brooklyn, New York emcee Masta Ace confirmed, via Twitter, that his collaboration album with MF DOOM is complete. Ace noted that he ג€œhanded inג€ the project, although label and release date information is still pending.

The project is said to be called MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne, playing off of both veteran emceesג€™ names. Earlier this year, reports indicated that the collaboration features productions from DOOM and rhymes from Ace, as the pair leaked ג€œPBS,ג€ which reportedly will not be included on the album.

UPDATE: Masta Ace confirmed today, via Twitter, that MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne is planned for November release.

UPDATE #2: Masta Ace revealed on Twitter that the beats on MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne are from MF DOOMג€˜s Special Herbs series. Between 2001 and 2005, DOOM released 10 volumes of Special Herbs on numerous labels, including High Times Records, Nature Sounds Records, Shaman Work Records, Female Fun Records, and DOOMג€˜s own Metal Face Records. Some of these tracks were also used on John Robinsonג€™s 2009 album, Who Is This Man?
DivShare File - MA_Doom-PBS.mp3

^^ God this sucks.

Kind of cool, but underwhelming considering what beats Ace is using.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

what was that album that came out years ago with some kid rapping over Operation Doomsday beats?

edit: found it. operation tuesday.

http://www.discogs.com/Kid-Kaos-Present ... se/1398698
Last edited by sleazy_j on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

This is embarrassingly bad.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Don't why they won't use new Beats for this.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

ardamus wrote:Don't why they won't use new Beats for this.
probably because doom didn't want to give them. the fact that he didn't even bother emailing them a verse or soemthing to feature on this speaks volumes
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

DOOM is either seriously on drugs, bottomed out on his alcoholism or has reached a state of laziness and creative entrophy from which he will never emerge. The downward spiral is obvious. He is seemingly incapable of making a beat or an album that is more than 30 minutes of new material. He was always out for the dough but something very strange has been going on since the doomposter shit started. No projects get finished, he seems only tangetially involved in his own career.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Wow. That song is terrible. Sounds like a SoulSeek mash-up circa 2004.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:DOOM is either seriously on drugs, bottomed out on his alcoholism or has reached a state of laziness and creative entrophy from which he will never emerge. The downward spiral is obvious. He is seemingly incapable of making a beat or an album that is more than 30 minutes of new material. He was always out for the dough but something very strange has been going on since the doomposter shit started. No projects get finished, he seems only tangetially involved in his own career.
yea something isn't right here...whats really up with doom these days?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Masta Ace is a joke.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I have no interest in peeping this, but when I saw the thread title, I knew it would have Special Herbs beats. :lol:

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

He needs to stick to teaching football at the high school.

arson_daily

Post by arson_daily »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:DOOM is either seriously on drugs, bottomed out on his alcoholism or has reached a state of laziness and creative entrophy from which he will never emerge. The downward spiral is obvious. He is seemingly incapable of making a beat or an album that is more than 30 minutes of new material. He was always out for the dough but something very strange has been going on since the doomposter shit started. No projects get finished, he seems only tangetially involved in his own career.
probably smokin crillz... but that dude always sounded like he smoked crillz anyway. never understood the undying love of him. can think of a handful of good doom songs and that's it.

supnick

Post by supnick »

doom is a shithead

Jaz
Ease Up

Re: Masta Ace & MF Doom Collabo Album

Post by Jaz »

vinylpops wrote:
On Wednesday September 14, Brooklyn, New York emcee Masta Ace confirmed, via Twitter, that his collaboration album with MF DOOM is complete. Ace noted that he ג€œhanded inג€ the project, although label and release date information is still pending.

The project is said to be called MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne, playing off of both veteran emceesג€™ names. Earlier this year, reports indicated that the collaboration features productions from DOOM and rhymes from Ace, as the pair leaked ג€œPBS,ג€ which reportedly will not be included on the album.

UPDATE: Masta Ace confirmed today, via Twitter, that MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne is planned for November release.

UPDATE #2: Masta Ace revealed on Twitter that the beats on MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne are from MF DOOMג€˜s Special Herbs series. Between 2001 and 2005, DOOM released 10 volumes of Special Herbs on numerous labels, including High Times Records, Nature Sounds Records, Shaman Work Records, Female Fun Records, and DOOMג€˜s own Metal Face Records. Some of these tracks were also used on John Robinsonג€™s 2009 album, Who Is This Man?
DivShare File - MA_Doom-PBS.mp3

^^ God this sucks.

Kind of cool, but underwhelming considering what beats Ace is using.
can't see how it's classed as a collab album with no Doom verses and just Ace over old Doom beats?, that just sounds like a mix-tape to me...this PBS was pretty average....also why not Master Doom as the name?

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

Disappointing.

I think Ace still has it, but this should really be a mixtape.

DOOM burnt himself out to quick with the herculean output he had years ago. Kinda sad.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

The ILLatino wrote:
DOOM burnt himself out to quick with the herculean output he had years ago.
Maybe he's building up for another avalanche of material.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

vinylpops wrote:
The ILLatino wrote:
DOOM burnt himself out to quick with the herculean output he had years ago.
Maybe he's building up for another avalanche of material.
I kind of doubt it...where the hell is Madvill 2?...it has been promised for years now.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

it's a godamned shame.
Nets 2022

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I doubt it, too. The last time around it was a monumental comeback. Does DOOM have another one in him? I wouldn't bet on it.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

The ILLatino wrote:I doubt it, too. The last time around it was a monumental comeback. Does DOOM have another one in him? I wouldn't bet on it.
the last time around was a result of a sort of grieving process though right? what is it now?

why do some of the most creative people have to have such fucked up tendencies
Nets 2022

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

lol fuckin idiots

:doom:

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Saw DOOM play at the ATP thing with Company Flow a few months back. It actually wasn't that bad a set by his standards. For the last track (after announcing that Amy Winehouse had died) he got that girl onstage who sang the chorus on the track he did on the Gorillaz album. He announced that he'd be producing a record for her.

The guy has made at least 5 brilliant albums. Wouldn't be mad if he never did anything else. Who else in hip hop, from 20 years ago, is still doing something half interesting? Not many people.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

arson_daily wrote:
probably smokin crillz... but that dude always sounded like he smoked crillz anyway. never understood the undying love of him. can think of a handful of good doom songs and that's it.
He's one of the top ten rappers of all time, so that's your loss.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Saw DOOM play at the ATP thing with Company Flow a few months back. It actually wasn't that bad a set by his standards. For the last track (after announcing that Amy Winehouse had died) he got that girl onstage who sang the chorus on the track he did on the Gorillaz album. He announced that he'd be producing a record for her.

The guy has made at least 5 brilliant albums. Wouldn't be mad if he never did anything else. Who else in hip hop, from 20 years ago, is still doing something half interesting? Not many people.
No matter what, DOOM is one of the best to ever do it. His discography is up there with the GOAT's and he was able to do it at a high level for longer than most. That said, I would rather he just quit the game than stick around doing some ol' bullshit, which is the only way to classify the majority of his output in the last few years.

arson_daily

Post by arson_daily »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
arson_daily wrote:
He's one of the top ten rappers of all time, so that's your loss.
eh. not really my loss. i've definitely listened to pretty much everything he's made and i attempted for years to see why people love him so much. i've liked some of doomsday and viktor vaughn, maybe madvillainy... and even those, he just sounds like the laziest crackhead rapper ever. i can think of a lot more rappers that deserve to be top ten than that guy. i don't think his production is even that good either honestly. guess he's just not my thing.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Ace is dope as fuck. DOOM is a wack gimmick and an okay producer. The fact that Ace is spittin' over the Special Herbs shit really is underwhelming. Also, that PBS song is god awful. I'm not anticipating this in the least.

arson_daily

Post by arson_daily »

KITFUNK wrote:Ace is dope as fuck. DOOM is a wack gimmick and an okay producer. The fact that Ace is spittin' over the Special Herbs shit really is underwhelming. Also, that PBS song is god awful. I'm not anticipating this in the least.
word, this is basically how i feel.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

KITFUNK wrote:Ace is dope as fuck. DOOM is a wack gimmick and an okay producer. The fact that Ace is spittin' over the Special Herbs shit really is underwhelming. Also, that PBS song is god awful. I'm not anticipating this in the least.
how exactly is DOOM a gimmick?

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

Jaz wrote:
I understand (somewhat) if you don't like the dude, but a gimmick? Strange territory, there.

I still think DOOM is awesome. Madvillainy is an amazing album.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Jaz wrote:
He pretends to be a supervillian. Need I go on?