General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Roc Marciano thread

Post by Philaflava »

Employee wrote:
Philaflava wrote:^^ looks like trade show booth swag
Ummm...that's literally a basket of all the things you talk about everyday.

I don't fuck with bics. I don't shoot dice. I don't play cards. I don't have any need for a fanny pack and I only use a metal shoe horn. All of which are things I have never discussed on here, let alone daily. You don't even have a batting average on this.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:
Employee wrote:
Philaflava wrote:^^ looks like trade show booth swag
Ummm...that's literally a basket of all the things you talk about everyday.

I don't fuck with bics. I don't shoot dice. I don't play cards. I don't have any need for a fanny pack and I only use a metal shoe horn. All of which are things I have never discussed on here, let alone daily. You don't even have a batting average on this.
Looks like Roc Marciano's style, flavor, and SWAG levels are above your pay grade.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Employee wrote:
drizzle wrote:curious about reactions now that things have settled a bit

has this grown on anybody? gotten better or worse with repeat listens?
I'm fond of it.

The cameos I could live without: Action Bronson, Freeway, and The Alchemist.

What I don't get are the cats crying about these Marci verses? Are you guys serious? If you are, you must be very soft like terrycloth.
the general sense I got was that people were mostly beefing with the cameos, not Marci's own contributions. that was my take as well. his performance here is about par for the course with the good random loosies he drops (which is slightly below his proper album material).

like if i could get an edit that's all Roc's verses and retains Boldy's and Ka's verses and removes everything else, i'd be pretty happy
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:
Employee wrote:
drizzle wrote:curious about reactions now that things have settled a bit

has this grown on anybody? gotten better or worse with repeat listens?
I'm fond of it.

The cameos I could live without: Action Bronson, Freeway, and The Alchemist.

What I don't get are the cats crying about these Marci verses? Are you guys serious? If you are, you must be very soft like terrycloth.
the general sense I got was that people were mostly beefing with the cameos, not Marci's own contributions. that was my take as well. his performance here is about par for the course with the good random loosies he drops (which is slightly below his proper album material).

like if i could get an edit that's all Roc's verses and retains Boldy's and Ka's verses and removes everything else, i'd be pretty happy
I totally get nobody being hyped for a fuckin' Knowledge The Pirate guest spot, but I'm of the opinion that hearing Marci next to others, although not appealing on first suggestion, is a cool change of pace for the dude (nh @ "cool change of pace for the dude"). I said in my review that obviously a Marci solo shit would be way effin' cooler, but he decided to do features.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The beats are also luxurious cream sauces; really been chubbing on the beats.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Employee wrote: I'm of the opinion that hearing Marci next to others, although not appealing on first suggestion, is a cool change of pace for the dude
It's not that this idea is bad, it's the choice of guests is what really fails him here imo.

He didn't consider it from the pov of 'who actually sounds good rapping next to me'. He just called up all his rap friends. And some of the guys are either waaaaay out of their depth here, or just don't fit well on the same track with him. Some of them seem to phone in verses too, or maybe they just sound dull alongside him.

If every guest he had here had the same chemistry with him as Ka, I think this all would've went over much better.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:It's not that this idea is bad, it's the choice of guests is what really fails him here imo.
I don't think any roster Marci handpicked would have satisfied his core constituency (o/k/a The Glossian Faction); aesthetically or otherwise.
drizzle wrote:He didn't consider it from the pov of 'who actually sounds good rapping next to me'.
You really don't think he put a decent amount of thought into who would or wouldn't be featured? That seems highly unlikely.
drizzle wrote:He just called up all his rap friends.
So he's, not surprisingly, like every other rapper in the history of rap in that regard.
drizzle wrote:And some of the guys are either waaaaay out of their depth here, or just don't fit well on the same track with him. Some of them seem to phone in verses too, or maybe they just sound dull alongside him.
That's kind of my thought regarding why people wouldn't be digging the cameos.
drizzle wrote:If every guest he had here had the same chemistry with him as Ka, I think this all would've went over much better.
Obviously.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

a once former poster with knowledge told me this was strictly caking off the budget and submitted loosies.
the guest spots were probably all free and the beats were leftovers or experiential shits. if he had not given us marcberg or reloaded then maybe the outcome would have been diff.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:a once former poster with knowledge told me this was strictly caking off the budget and submitted loosies.
the guest spots were probably all free and the beats were leftovers or experiential shits. if he had not given us marcberg or reloaded then maybe the outcome would have been diff.
:larry:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Employee wrote:
drizzle wrote:He didn't consider it from the pov of 'who actually sounds good rapping next to me'.
You really don't think he put a decent amount of thought into who would or wouldn't be featured? That seems highly unlikely.
drizzle wrote:He just called up all his rap friends.
So he's, not surprisingly, like every other rapper in the history of rap in that regard.
it's hard to say what goes through an artists mind and guess their intentions. maybe you're right and he really does believe that him and Mathew Raggazino make a great combination that the fans need to hear. but there seems to be at least some partial element of what I meant re: friends and what gloss posted - these are just the verses he had on hand or could easily get without too much fuss.

honestly I'm kinda hoping it was the latter. 'cause the former means Evidence and Alchemist and Raggz might show up on his next proper solo too.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I'm just an outsider now, bro; not even in the loop as I do not have someone on the inside.

My speculation: baseless; my opinion: tasteless.

#1luv

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

agallah ft roc

works better than i expected, better than some things on the album at least. for some reason i expected the cookie monster voice

http://www.audiomack.com/song/agallah-d ... e-of-glory

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

drizzle wrote:agallah ft roc
for some reason i expected the cookie monster voice
:lol:
song is a definite keeper. not sure where i've heard that sample before but i know i have

and :rofl: at the marci beaucoup gentleman's kit.

The album didn't have as many bangers as usual but on the 6 songs I kept Roc def goes hard ( :pause: ). I actually fuck with the Freeway and Cormega joints.

Kace

Post by Kace »

Employee wrote:The beats are also luxurious cream sauces; really been chubbing on the beats.
:pause:
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

Kace wrote:
Employee wrote:The beats are also luxurious cream sauces; really been chubbing on the beats.
:lol: emp lo lo you're usually pretty good at NH'ing your posts, what happened here?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Piff Tannen wrote:
Kace wrote:
:lol: emp lo lo you're usually pretty good at NH'ing your posts, what happened here?
Thought the terminology utilized was self-explanatory (and it looks like I was correct because you both caught it).

I often "chub" to things; I'm chubbing to Reloadedright now.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Philaflava wrote:We must be listening to different albums. For a guy who is so critical of most music, you sure gave this a rave review. If this album is as good as you say it is (and it isn't), then you must place Marcberg up there with Ready To Die.
You prefer Marcberg to Reloaded?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme wrote:
Philaflava wrote:We must be listening to different albums. For a guy who is so critical of most music, you sure gave this a rave review. If this album is as good as you say it is (and it isn't), then you must place Marcberg up there with Ready To Die.
You prefer Marcberg to Reloaded?
I think so. It's not that far apart but I'd give the slight edge to Marcberg.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Combo7 wrote:Yacht rap cypher complete

http://www.manbitesdogrecords.com/produ ... oup-bundle
ROC MARCIANO - MARCI BEAUCOUP GENTLEMANS KIT
$50.00

Man Bites Dog Records is pleased to announce the Limited edition Marci Beaucoup Gentleman’s Kit designed by Roc Marciano. Conceived to celebrate the release of the “Marci Beaucoup” album, the exquisitely designed kit features special editions of Roc’s toiletry bag, money clip, pen, flask, shoehorn, dice and playing cards. Only 200 limited edition Gentleman’s Kits will be available that include a numbered gentleman’s card personally signed by the artist, Roc Marciano.
An NY cat who doesn't give you three dice... SMH.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Philaflava wrote:I only use a metal shoe horn.
:smugkid:

But, yeah, that package is extremely poor.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

From his twitter, looks like me might be collabing with Apollo Brown. Could be very dope based off what I heard on the Brown Album with Ghost.

SpecialAFFEX

Post by SpecialAFFEX »

Marci Beaucoup is dope.

The Pimpire is better.

I listen to Reloaded way more than Ready TO Die.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Kace

Post by Kace »

The trend of artists like Tech N9ne, CZARFACE and Yo Gotti populating the weekly SoundScan report serve as examples of independent success stories.
:rofl: Czarface is a rapper? What idiot wrote this?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Was listening to an old Juggaknots playlist and forgot they basically already rocked over the "We Ill" beat, don't know if anyone had pointed this out, but it made me smile. Roc's version is better, but if it were 3 Brewin verses instead of a verse from all 3 Juggs it might be a different story.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Genius.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

probably the worst beat i've heard all year

DLG

Post by DLG »

I like the beat, but freeway and knowledge sound like shit over it.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yeah, surprised they made a video for this one. I guess Roc is just a big Freeway fan, or maybe he's even thinking of signing him to MBD, but that verse is one of the worst I've ever heard from him.