Roc Marciano thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Roc Marciano thread

Post by Employee »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
Spartan wrote:Not paying $30 for a digital album, no matter the artist.
I've never spent a fuckin dime on any digital music. Fuck that shit. If I'm buying music it's music I actually own and don't need a fuckin cell phone, tablet, laptop, PC, watch, etc. to listen to.
Dude, when even Spartan and Thyck Whyte find common ground...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

LOL @ "...but this blueprint changed the game..."

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

:copy:
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

gusty wingers wrote:also anybody can make hip hop beats... not slighting what roc does because his ear for samples and gritty chops is truly impressive, but the reason dre can basically hum a beat, have it made, and get the bulk to all of the credit for it, is because of mixing and mastering... one of the true toughest things to do in music, and something that is essentially impossible to fake... you can either spend years learning how to properly do it or you will pay to have it done... or your music will sound like rocs
Right. I haven't paid for a Dr Dre produced album since 2001.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

that really makes no sense man, you have to know how to master music, get it mixed and mastered by a real professional producer or your music sounds like shit like rocs, nobody gives a fuck what you buy... dre outsells roc every single day lol and his music sounds professional, no matter how SHITTY it is, it is cleanly mastered shit... seems to me he skimps on the mastering and mixing and then pretends its "gritty oldschool" sounding...

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

gusty wingers wrote:that really makes no sense man, you have to know how to master music, get it mixed and mastered by a real professional producer or your music sounds like shit like rocs, nobody gives a fuck what you buy... dre outsells roc every single day lol and his music sounds professional, no matter how SHITTY it is, it is cleanly mastered shit
Cleanly mastered. Ed Sheeran makes cleanly mastered music. I don't understand the point you're tying to make.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Over the weekend, the legendary Long Island lyricist revealed on Twitter that his 2017 album Rosebudd’s Revenge earned him “sneaker money” from three million-plus streams. Each service offers their own payout rate for artists, but according to the latest numbers, three million streams on Tidal nets you $38,520. On Apple Music, $23,490. And on Spotify, just $11,400.

That’s considerably more than “sneaker money” for most people. Mind you, Marcberg Slim does have expensive taste in shoes.

So, in a system increasingly dominated by streaming platforms, who are generating billions of dollars for the music business but paying less than a penny per play to the actual creators, what’s an independent hustler like Roc Marciano to do? Good thing he was chopping O’s since a snot nose.

On February 27, Roc Marciano released his new album, Rosebudd’s Revenge 2: The Bitter Dose, the fifth installment in his series of grimy, intricate and extravagant kingpin chronicles. Instead of offering it up on your favorite streaming platforms, though, he’s been selling digital copies of the project exclusively on his website for $30. No streams, all sales. Just like the good old days. And it’s paying off.

“It’s been amazing. This shit is printing money. The return on investment happened in a day. I was in the black in a day. How you like them apples?” he says over the phone with a trademark sneer. Unsurprisingly, Marci isn’t willing to divulge specific figures, but rest assured he’s made more than sneaker money off Rosebudd’s Revenge 2 sales so far. “Oh, hell yeah. Easy.”
https://djbooth.net/features/2018-03-06 ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Y@k Bollox wrote:
gusty wingers wrote:that really makes no sense man, you have to know how to master music, get it mixed and mastered by a real professional producer or your music sounds like shit like rocs, nobody gives a fuck what you buy... dre outsells roc every single day lol and his music sounds professional, no matter how SHITTY it is, it is cleanly mastered shit
Cleanly mastered. Ed Sheeran makes cleanly mastered music. I don't understand the point you're tying to make.
there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the way this is mastered or mixed... it sounds UNMASTERED... nothing wrong with lo fi but it is not mixed correctly... regards to vocals, samples, and other volumes all around unevenly mixed and most likely not mastered... sounds like trash on monitor speaks
Last edited by gusty wingers on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

LOL @ "printing money."

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

there is also a significant and noticeable difference in the quality of the mixing and mastering from reloaded to here

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

gusty wingers wrote:there is also a significant and noticeable difference in the quality of the mixing and mastering from reloaded to here
After Pimpire, noticeable fall off.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Employee wrote:
And if he’s going to cater directly to his core fan base, he might as well sell his album for $30 a pop than make less than 20 cents ($0.19, to be exact—and that’s on Tidal) each time someone streams it all the way through. It’s simple math.
"Financially rape and pillage your true fan base in the limited window of time you have. Once there are none left from which to charge the same exorbitant prices that you yourself are complaining about in the form of streaming royalties, release it on all streaming platforms."

LOL.

:fail:

Desperate money grabs do not equal long-term hustling...LOL.
Exactly this. All Marci has done is split his niche audience.

The album is dope, and I'll cop the CD if he inevitably releases it (at a sensible price), but I have no regrets downloading that shit for free. Treating your fans like a bunch of mugs and hoping you'll catch a few whales in the process is a shitty hustle.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Spartan wrote:
Employee wrote:
And if he’s going to cater directly to his core fan base, he might as well sell his album for $30 a pop than make less than 20 cents ($0.19, to be exact—and that’s on Tidal) each time someone streams it all the way through. It’s simple math.
"Financially rape and pillage your true fan base in the limited window of time you have. Once there are none left from which to charge the same exorbitant prices that you yourself are complaining about in the form of streaming royalties, release it on all streaming platforms."

LOL.

:fail:

Desperate money grabs do not equal long-term hustling...LOL.
Exactly this. All Marci has done is split his niche audience.

The album is dope, and I'll cop the CD if he inevitably releases it (at a sensible price), but I have no regrets downloading that shit for free. Treating your fans like a bunch of mugs and hoping you'll catch a few whales in the process is a shitty hustle.
Love his music, but his delusions of grandeur in regards to his business prowess are Ithe-like.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

New album is good. My expectations are always high when it comes to a Roc Marci album so was a bit disappointed, but in the end it is dope. Far from a great album though. Beats aren't as gritty, although Kill You is about as gully as it gets, love that track. 67 Lobby and Bohemian Grove are also dope. His lyrics are still on the lavish gangster steez with many clever lines. I feel like RR1 had the better songs, Burkina Faso and Marksmen back to back are 10/10 tracks.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

legit questions for Roc Marci? He is doing my show next week.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Ask him about the mastering thing, I don't think anybody ever actually confronted him about this directly. It's a widely acknowledged thing among his fans, comes up every time we talk about the last album among ourselves, but is very rarely mentioned in reviews and probably never in an interview.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

im sure its a sensitive subject. vanderslice mentioned it on our show with apathy and a war broke out online. i gotta find a way to word that properly.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Philaflava wrote:i gotta find a way to word that properly.
Yeah, definitely tricky. He clearly likes an analogue fuzz to things though. I'm thinking of that 76 video that looks like it was shot on Super 8, the samples from old movies - maybe ask if it was an intentional stylistic thing?

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

I always wanted to know what the guy (sample) is saying on Marksmen. It is such an emotive and haunting sample. Clearly some old obscure soul record or other genre. Not really a question you might ask, maybe someone here can help me out, but I'd be interested nonetheless.

I try to avoid generic questions but I'd like to know if there are any producers he hasn't worked with that he wants to collab with. Lonely & Cold is one of my favorite songs ever, I'd like to see him work with Apollo Brown again.

I need to check your show. I've never really listened to any podcasts cuz I'm old and out of touch but it seems like you have some great guests.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Y@k Bollox wrote:
Yeah, definitely tricky. He clearly likes an analogue fuzz to things though. I'm thinking of that 76 video that looks like it was shot on Super 8, the samples from old movies - maybe ask if it was an intentional stylistic thing?
affecting a lofi feel and straight up terrible mixing that buries your vocals are very different things. He has plenty of older songs with that kind of fuzz that are immaculately mixed and mastered, and there are some songs on RR1 that are a stark difference to that.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

80 Features:

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q95w3tr1ncfjpq1/Featuring+Roc+Marciano.zip

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I'd avoid approaching "The Mastering Controversy" as a specific thing; if you bring it up at all. The cats who are legitimately invested in that are a niche/subset of his audience. Cats pretending it drags on his music to the point of distraction are hysterics.

Ask him to reveal sales figures and earnings from his site since he released it.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

drizzle wrote:
Y@k Bollox wrote:
affecting a lofi feel and straight up terrible mixing that buries your vocals are very different things. He has plenty of older songs with that kind of fuzz that are immaculately mixed and mastered, and there are some songs on RR1 that are a stark difference to that.
OK, well how would you pose it to him? "Why does Rosebudd's Revenge 1 sound bad?"

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

What is even being effing quantified? Some people will find shit, irrelevant shit, to nitpick over as to lend importance to their opinions. This is common among Bloggeratis who are never happy about anything. Even Extravagant Raps About Vagina & Money.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Oh and the reason RR 1 most likely sounds good on vinyl like wicked said is because the label said "hey bozo we're going to need somebody to professionally mix and master this"... Hence why they're probably fifty dollars

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Y@k Bollox wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Y@k Bollox wrote:
OK, well how would you pose it to him? "Why does Rosebudd's Revenge 1 sound bad?"
I would ask him about his recording process and why there are noticeable differences between the sound quality of his recent projects, sometimes varying hugely from song to song.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Philaflava wrote:legit questions for Roc Marci? He is doing my show next week.
Congrats man. Live or over a call?

Probably my favorite artist over the last 6 years so got a bunch.

For Marcberg & Reloaded, Joe LaPorta mastered it. Why'd you go a different direction for your subsequent projects.
What inspired the theme for Rosebudd's Revenge. Talk about Rosebudd Bitterdose and the influence on the album. Don't think anyone's brought this up to him.
Talk about how the passing of Sean Price impacted you.
Talk about the influence he's had over the past 5 years and how evident his style is on a lot of his contemporaries - Hus, Mach Hommy, WSG & Conway, Daringer, CamoFlaugeMonk
Metal Clergy/Nights With Chemist ever gonna be released?
What happened with his role at Man Bites Dog.
Hard to give up the Hall beat to WSG?
Disappointed with Marci Beacoup looking back?

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

^^ awesome post man

Joseph J. LaPorta is a Grammy Award-winning American mastering engineer at Sterling Sound, NYC. Wikipedia

Born: New York City, NY
Nominations: Grammy Award for Album of the Year, MORE
Awards: Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical

point proven... this is why his shit sounds like trash now... he had a grammy award winning producer and has knowledge the pirate or some other weed carrier doing it now... think twice before you support this mans music as he sees you as nothing more than a custy and he doesn't give a fuck how his stuff sounds in the end

https://sterling-sound.com/artist/roc-m ... iscography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Getting to the bottom of this shortly

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

I thought Marci Beaucoup was really good. I've seen some criticism of that but I thought all the beats were dope and the guest spots too.

Ask him what he thinks of Bronze Nazareth, and if he would consider collaborating with him. If those two made an album together I'm not sure my brain could process it. Two best hip hop artists from the past decade plus imo. Hard to imagine The Great Migration was 12 years ago.