Roc Marciano thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Roc Marciano thread

Post by drizzle »

to be fair, he does have the kind of fans that would pay 30$ to hear it week early and wear that as some sort of badge of exclusivity or whatever

but that's not the same thing as reacting negatively when somebody comes through with a dismissive 'this rapper you all like is actually boring and you only like him because there are no other options in this lane' post.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:bork: may have helped him buy new Rollie today, I'm sure. But ultimately, this doesn't help sales.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not paying $30 for a digital album, no matter the artist.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Spartan wrote:Not paying $30 for a digital album, no matter the artist.
I've never spent a fuckin dime on any digital music. Fuck that shit. If I'm buying music it's music I actually own and don't need a fuckin cell phone, tablet, laptop, PC, watch, etc. to listen to.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Eh, I paid. Don't care about 'exclusivity' or whatever, but I wanted to hear the album so paid $25. I am aware that it'll appear on Spotify in a few days, but I don't mind supporting an artist that I like a lot. At the end of the day, it's not a lot of money, and I just stole I, Tonya and The Death of Stalin, so these things balance themselves out.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
I've never spent a fuckin dime on any digital music. Fuck that shit. If I'm buying music it's music I actually own and don't need a fuckin cell phone, tablet, laptop, PC, watch, etc. to listen to.
Yeah, state of your fucking house though fam. Maybe you should.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Y@k Bollcox wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote:
Yeah, state of your fucking house though fam. Maybe you should.
Huh?!

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Philaflava wrote:Yet, I am sure not one of us paid $30 to hear it. Not fucking one.
I think that shit is crazy to ask that. The whole "get" was listen to it a week before anyone else? Shit, the minute that was made available to download the entire Roc Marci fan base got to listen to it free of charge.
Yeah, I don’t care that much. I’ll get it eventually. And nobody cares if someone gets an album first anymore. No adults anyway. That’s for children.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

step one wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Granted an artist doesn't have to grow or re-invent themselves continuously to be good, nothing wrong with finding your lane and getting all you can out of it. But that's how you get music that sounds samey, and Marc def has a bit of that.
that's basically what I was getting at. He's not someone that will ever surprise you. I thought it was a fairly common train of thought tbh and didn't anticipate a couple of dudes in their 40s getting all sensitive because I'd criticized their favourite rapper. Does go some way to explaining how Roc can charge so much for the download with that kind of fan base though.
First off, I'm not in my 40s. Secondly, I didn't pay for the download. Loosen up a little bit.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

step one wrote:Is this just more of the same thing he's been doing for the last 10 years?
It pretty much is. But you could say that about a lot of hip hop artists I like. Do I need to own the entire Godfather Don discography? Probably not. He's not someone I really go to looking for a surprise tbh.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

hessbz12 wrote:
step one wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Granted an artist doesn't have to grow or re-invent themselves continuously to be good, nothing wrong with finding your lane and getting all you can out of it. But that's how you get music that sounds samey, and Marc def has a bit of that.
that's basically what I was getting at. He's not someone that will ever surprise you. I thought it was a fairly common train of thought tbh and didn't anticipate a couple of dudes in their 40s getting all sensitive because I'd criticized their favourite rapper. Does go some way to explaining how Roc can charge so much for the download with that kind of fan base though.
First off, I'm not in my 40s. Secondly, I didn't pay for the download. Loosen up a little bit.
:marci: lo mismo

Verge

Post by Verge »

albums on hhb. there's a decent song with action bronson, but i cant bare to listen to that guy, just dont like him. so heres the joint with bronsons verse edited out.
https://mega.nz/#!JBAQBbDD!HcwGKmNICu0N ... Q5pO3dzwfk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

really grown to hate Bronson as a rapper honstly
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

gusty wingers wrote:really grown to hate Bronson as a rapper honstly
He was always a novelty act. Not sure why people seem to get angry over dude.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Verge wrote:albums on hhb. there's a decent song with action bronson, but i cant bare to listen to that guy, just dont like him. so heres the joint with bronsons verse edited out.
https://mega.nz/#!JBAQBbDD!HcwGKmNICu0N ... Q5pO3dzwfk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

Bronson's verse is good tho

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Dope but liking RR1 better off first couple listens.

DLG

Post by DLG »

"I coulda tried out for the olympics but I didn't" might be a top 5 roc marci line

Verge

Post by Verge »

DLG wrote:
Verge wrote:albums on hhb. there's a decent song with action bronson, but i cant bare to listen to that guy, just dont like him. so heres the joint with bronsons verse edited out.

:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

Bronson's verse is good tho
i feel ya, i wouldnt doubt it, but i tune out soon as i hear his voice. Cant fault me for that, not gonna listen to someones voice that i dont like and i know im not the only one so thats why i edited it. i thought he was funny at first even though he sounded like imitation ghost but like Clean Hobo said above, he's a novelty and the novelty wore out quick for me.

Professor Piff

Post by Professor Piff »

I bought it. I don’t care about being the first to hear it but I haven’t bought albums in years. If I buy from anybody it would be Marci. Had he ever disappointed me with ANY of his material, we’d be talking a different story.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I really hate Knowledge the Pirate...Bohemian Grove might be my favorite song if he wasn't on it. It's just annoying at this point. I like the album though, first half is better than the second to me right now, but that could change.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

unclebengi wrote:I really hate Knowledge the Pirate...Bohemian Grove might be my favorite song if he wasn't on it. It's just annoying at this point. I like the album though, first half is better than the second to me right now, but that could change.
I enjoy him. His verse on Maja League was lame, but the other verses he's given Roc over the years have been good. Particularly the two songs on Pimpire.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Philaflava wrote::bork: may have helped him buy new Rollie today, I'm sure. But ultimately, this doesn't help sales.
Maybe not, but probably helps him make more music in the future. Say 1,000 people preordered - that's between $25,000 and $30,000. Which is OK, but given that's probably 6 months work it's still not great if this is his sole means of income. I can't imagine he has a day job too, but I guess Ka is still a fireman.

How many plays on Spotify to generate the same amount of money?

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

On first listen the mix sounds exponentially better than on the last RR

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Y@k Bollox wrote:
Philaflava wrote::bork: may have helped him buy new Rollie today, I'm sure. But ultimately, this doesn't help sales.
Maybe not, but probably helps him make more music in the future. Say 1,000 people preordered - that's between $25,000 and $30,000. Which is OK, but given that's probably 6 months work it's still not great if this is his sole means of income. I can't imagine he has a day job too, but I guess Ka is still a fireman.

How many plays on Spotify to generate the same amount of money?
Not sure about Spotify but it can't be much. I think Roc makes his $ on guest verses and doing shows here and there. Ka is still a fireman because he makes like 175K a year, sick benefits and why give that up for an indie rap career? He works 3 days a week and the rest he can chill. Again, this is all speculation but my guess that 30K he made in one day is good until the physical product drops and then he pushes that.

J_Preme

Post by J_Preme »

unclebengi wrote:I really hate Knowledge the Pirate...Bohemian Grove might be my favorite song if he wasn't on it. It's just annoying at this point. I like the album though, first half is better than the second to me right now, but that could change.
I agree... i had hopes for 'em .. i mean, he ain't totally wack but next to Roc he's just -- hopeless, but that's just my opinion !

The album is nice tho (lyrically very nice) .. i dig the music and it gets monotonous at times to me but overall ..dope!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

well apparently the release strategy worked well for him so what do we know

https://djbooth.net/features/2018-03-06 ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with this in mind I hope he doesn't put it on streaming sites or anywhere else where it can be bought cheaper, basically doesn't do anything that undermines the exclusivity of direct sales from his site
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Um, I can pony up $20-30 or, pocket my loot, and get the album for free seventy-two hours per your genius plan?

LOL.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Same goes for last year’s Rosebudd’s Revenge, which he sold for $20 on his website three days before releasing it on streaming platforms.
LOL.

Why is his newfangled strategy which is actually old as fucking shit being hailed as the greatest thing since Steve Jobs pubes?

You are not hustling if you are still bowing to the demands of the streaming services that you claim to be gallantly fighting.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

And if he’s going to cater directly to his core fan base, he might as well sell his album for $30 a pop than make less than 20 cents ($0.19, to be exact—and that’s on Tidal) each time someone streams it all the way through. It’s simple math.
"Financially rape and pillage your true fan base in the limited window of time you have. Once there are none left from which to charge the same exorbitant prices that you yourself are complaining about in the form of streaming royalties, release it on all streaming platforms."

LOL.

:fail:

Desperate money grabs do not equal long-term hustling...LOL.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

also anybody can make hip hop beats... not slighting what roc does because his ear for samples and gritty chops is truly impressive, but the reason dre can basically hum a beat, have it made, and get the bulk to all of the credit for it, is because of mixing and mastering... one of the true toughest things to do in music, and something that is essentially impossible to fake... you can either spend years learning how to properly do it or you will pay to have it done... or your music will sound like rocs
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on