Roc Marciano thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

hellriser

Re: Roc Marciano thread

Post by hellriser »

Philaflava wrote:On the first listen, I can tell the production will be the biggest gripe for me. I prefer listening to Roc than any other rapper doing this shit. His voice is just more appealing than say WSG, Conway or anyone doing this kinda style (I use that term loosely). The difference is, those cats I mentioned have a dope ear for beats and have no problem working with others. Roc seems to keep to himself. His first album was his best and he handled all of the production. The 2nd album, production was almost equally as great with cuts like Death Parade, We Ill, Deeper but you also had help from ALC, Q-Tip, Ray West and a few others. I was not a fan of Marci Beaucoup and now this seems kinda uninspired. Not much digging here. It’s almost too simplistic for me.

I got no probs with the rhymes, but I wish the beats came rougher.

agree , tbh i like flygod more , production as a whole but marciano is better than wsg of course

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

i agree with those that have said its a solid album but not as good as his first two. His rapping is on point, as always, but a handful of tracks, mostly in the middle of the album, suffer from a lack of drums and/or an annoying sample getting too repetitive. I also think he mixes his vocals too low compared to the beat in terms of clarity, but I think he prefers that stylistically.

overall its good to have a new album from roc marc but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the mastering on the version I've heard seems kinda shitty, I'm wondering if that's part of the negative reactions I've seen

maybe the itunes/spotify version might sound better

it's a shame because this has some of his best writing to date, tons of great one liners... but sometimes they're physically hard to make out
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Versive

Post by Versive »

drizzle wrote: this has some of his best writing to date
The only thing I've agreed with so far.
"Gunsense" is my shit.

DLG

Post by DLG »

yep, there's a line worth rewinding like every 5 seconds on this.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Loving this. Pig knuckles and burkina faso are my favorite beats but i like most of them on here. The verses are all excellent

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

I'm really digging this. It's not Reloaded, but I don't find that as a bad thing. Yea, the lyrics are crazy. I downloaded it on iTunes and traveled for work this week, so I was able to listen to it all the way through a couple times so far. It's different than Reloaded, but I really like it. As someone already said, it's just nice getting new Roc material.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

history >

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Has anyone heard if the physical CD will be available on Amazon? I saw on his site you can preorder the CD from Fat Beats, I was just curious on Amazon.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Nevermind, I saw where the physical CD isn't going to be released until May :owens:

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Been through it a few times now, and overall pretty satisfied. His solo discography goes in this order in my opinion.

Reloaded
Marcberg
Pimpire Strikes Back
Rosebudd's Revenge
Marci Becoup

The first two are classics in my opinion and Pimpire is probably my favorite mixtape of all time.
drizzle wrote:the mastering on the version I've heard seems kinda shitty, I'm wondering if that's part of the negative reactions I've seen
This is my main complaint. Same shit with Becoup. I'm not sure if he's doing this intentional or not but either way, that's the only thing I dislike about this. Have no complaint about him being uninspired or anything to that degree. I think the album is well thought out and overall really creative, just the mastering continues to be an issue.
Philaflava wrote:history >
Correct.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

"Gunsense" sounds like shit and should have been deleted from the LP. Amateur shit...

Word to what Phila said...

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

IMHO this album gets better and better after every listen. I haven't listened to it in the car yet, but I think it sounds best in earphones. This album is way more "pimpish" than Reloaded. The beats are perfect for Roc. Still wish it was mastered a little better and that some of the beats didn't over take Roc's voice, but this is a great album.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

"Better know" is like his version of a camp lo song.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

^^ it's definitely the fastest and most precarious cadence he has ever used, it sounds like he's running at full speed while trying hard not to loose his balance.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Professor Piff

Post by Professor Piff »

Marksmen is bananas! Roc's albums always grow on me. Lyrics start to take over the beats. I agree w/ mastering of this album.. the only killer.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

^ Yeah that Marksmen beat is insane, love the grainy soulful texture to it. That spiraling guitar or whatever is so emotive. Animoss produced something special on that. Lyrics from Ka and Roc only enhance it.

This album is good, if not very good, but it falls short of being great. The final 5 tracks are average imo.

I love how Roc manipulated the sample on Killing Time at the end by chopping and speeding it up. You don't usually hear shit like that, precisely the type of original dope shit I appreciate.

Oh and yeah the mastering is kind of shitty. Much better in the headphones. I can barely hear the vocals on a couple of tracks when I'm playing it in the car. Roc is spitting his usual OG pimp shit. Nothing new, but he does it in an incredibly clever fashion.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Really starting to grow on me. Still not on the level of the other two, but this is a great album.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Another loosie. Some french producer.

DLG

Post by DLG »

that's hard.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Got an e-mail from their Roc's mailing list saying Rosebudds Revenge Pt. 2 was coming out soon. Hard to take that seriously, but still.

Dap

Post by Dap »

played Reloaded front to back on a drive home today

100 percent classic album. at first i never thought it would top marcberg for me, but i think it has.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Man, the mix and master make this a borderline-intolerable listen, as heads have been saying. Ruined that metal clergy track

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Dap wrote:played Reloaded front to back on a drive home today

100 percent classic album. at first i never thought it would top marcberg for me, but i think it has.
Not one for dropping the word "classic" around so liberally like some folk, but Marcberg and Reloaded are are definitely up there for me.

Off the top of my head, Marciano is the only solo rapper I can think of to have dropped two back-to-back classics since Ice Cube.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Spartan wrote:
Dap wrote:played Reloaded front to back on a drive home today

Not one for dropping the word "classic" around so liberally like some folk, but Marcberg and Reloaded are are definitely up there for me.

Off the top of my head, Marciano is the only solo rapper I can think of to have dropped two back-to-back classics since Ice Cube.
:sherlock:

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

https://soundcloud.com/hardtimesrecords/sets/therman-munsin-sabbath-album

Haven't listened to this but album by local dude Thermin Munson. Albums entirely produced by Roc. Doubt he gave him any of his best beats, but always worth hearing 10-12 new Roc instrumentals.

DLG

Post by DLG »

beats sound good, raps no

Dap

Post by Dap »

drizzle wrote:^^ it's definitely the fastest and most precarious cadence he has ever used, it sounds like he's running at full speed while trying hard not to loose his balance.

yeah it's really refreshing to hear him speed it up for once IMO