Sylvia Robinson Dead

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

vinylpops

Sylvia Robinson Dead

Post by vinylpops »

Sylvia Robinson, the producer of the Sugar Hill Gang's pioneering hip-hop single "Rapper's Delight," died this morning at the age of 75 from congestive heart failure. Robinson, a singer, musician, producer and label executive at Sugar Hill Records, began her career as half of the duo Mickey and Sylvia in the late Fifties, scoring a hit on her own in 1973 with "Pillow Talk."

Robinson masterminded "Rapper's Delight," the first-ever commercially successful hip-hop single, in 1979. In 1982, she produced another hip-hop classic, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message." That song, widely credited with bringing social consciousness to hip-hop music, was the first rap song ever added to the National Archive.
Last edited by vinylpops on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Legend in tha biz, a lot of old school rappers are silently rejoicing though.

The Afronaut

Re: Sylvia Robinson Dead

Post by The Afronaut »

vinylpops wrote:began her career as half of the duo Mickey and Sylvia in the late Fifties
Had no idea that was the same Sylvia.
Thun wrote:Legend in tha biz, a lot of old school rappers are silently rejoicing though.
Im not sure about her shady dealings and whatnot once things got going, but on the real her legendary status should not be argued by anyone. She had a vision that most (including the founders/artists of that period etc) did not see.

Anyway, RIP.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:
Im not sure about her shady dealings and whatnot once things got going, but on the real her legendary status should not be argued by anyone. She had a vision that most (including the founders/artists of that period etc) did not see.

Anyway, RIP.
Yeah. Let's brush aside the fact that she fucked over and ruined the lives of hundreds of individuals.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

Anyway, RIP.
Yeah. Let's brush aside the fact that she fucked over and ruined the lives of hundreds of individuals.
I still celebrate my nigga mj

we bangin SyLVIA all day niggas.
UBM CD COMING SOON

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:Yeah. Let's brush aside the fact that she fucked over and ruined the lives of hundreds of individuals.
Hundreds of individuals? :lol:

Name 3 people who's lives she's "ruined".

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:
Employee wrote:Yeah. Let's brush aside the fact that she fucked over and ruined the lives of hundreds of individuals.

Do your own background, faggot. LOL @ "her vision." That's usually what faggots say to mask reality.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

Do your own background, faggot. LOL @ "her vision." That's usually what faggots say to mask reality.
:lol: But you did say there were hundredS right? 3 is asking too much?

But yeah, Im definitely not going to get into a "masking reality" debate with you of all people.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:
Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

:lol: But you did say there were hundredS right? 3 is asking too much?

But yeah, Im definitely not going to get into a "masking reality" debate with you of all people.
When you financially fuck with someone who supports other people and when you do it repeatedly, you fuck up individuals and their families. I guess living at home with mom and dad, that fact of life hasn't affected you yet.

You can or can't debate whoever the fuck you want to. Suck my dick all the way back to reality if need be.

Google, faggot. Try it.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:When you financially fuck with someone who supports other people and when you do it repeatedly, you fuck up individuals and their families. I guess living at home with mom and dad, that fact of life hasn't affected you yet.

You can or can't debate whoever the fuck you want to. Suck my dick all the way back to reality if need be.

Google, faggot. Try it.
First of all, CALM DOWN.

Secondly, Sylvia Robinson was a record executive at a time where "financial fucking with someone" was standard practice. Does that make it right? No, and thats not what Im saying, Im just pointing out that her business practices were a product of the industry she was involved in and probably was a victim of during her own recording career.

What I was saying from jump is that her "vision" (having rap music on records) was something a lot of pioneers didnt think would work and did not have a lot of interest in so her "legendary" status for that alone is really indisputable.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:
Employee wrote:When you financially fuck with someone who supports other people and when you do it repeatedly, you fuck up individuals and their families. I guess living at home with mom and dad, that fact of life hasn't affected you yet.

Google, faggot. Try it.
First of all, CALM DOWN.

Secondly, Sylvia Robinson was a record executive at a time where "financial fucking with someone" was standard practice. Does that make it right? No, and thats not what Im saying, Im just pointing out that her business practices were a product of the industry she was involved in and probably was a victim of during her own recording career.

What I was saying from jump is that her "vision" (having rap music on records) was something a lot of pioneers didnt think would work and did not have a lot of interest in so her "legendary" status for that alone is really indisputable.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

R.I.P.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Teh female suge knight fuckin niggas banks up.
UBM CD COMING SOON

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:CSB
Yeah, I figured as much.

"HundredS of people" :lol:

Kace

Post by Kace »

Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

Anyway, RIP.
So? Since when has anyone acting like goody two shoes achieved anything worthwhile?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Kace wrote:
Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

Anyway, RIP.
So? Since when has anyone acting like goody two shoes achieved anything worthwhile?
Make a cogent point and then post, faggot.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:
Yeah, I figured as much.

Totes, bro! U str8 skooled meh!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i'd hit

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

hip hop is getting oficially old.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:
Yeah, I figured as much.

Totes, bro! U str8 skooled meh!

self

Post by self »

googled sylvia robinson
maybe i need to google harder
or something curious about her suge knight esque dealing with the rap rap

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

I'm with Employee.

Props to her for what she did to make history happen...

but also :bunk: for the shady corruption.

it's like yeah sure Joe Jackson provided the discipline to make Michael Jackson the superstar he became... but do we give the man props for fucking savagely beating his son? not quite.

I also heard lots of people were not happy with Sylvia's ways and schemes

aint no bidness like show bidness though i guess :sugeknight:

peace, Goddess
thanks for the memories
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

RIP

zombie

Post by zombie »

lol @ the discussions in this topic.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

This thread is full of LOLs from the post to the sigs.

RIP tho
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

RIP

I made a thread about this last year, but every Hip Hop fan should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Payback-Histo ... 0451229290

supnick

Post by supnick »

dang she was old as balls

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

i'm pretty in awe of her for writing so much of the moment's shit. amazing musician. also 'sunday'. R.I.P.
illegal mind shoe lace

Kace

Post by Kace »

Employee wrote:
Kace wrote:
Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

Anyway, RIP.
When you're successful in business you're bound to step on someone's toes eventually, that's how the game goes. Welcome to the grown mans world you bleeding heart liberal.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Kace wrote:
Employee wrote:
Kace wrote:
Employee wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

Anyway, RIP.
When you're successful in business you're bound to step on someone's toes eventually, that's how the game goes. Welcome to the grown mans world you bleeding heart liberal.
Totes, bro! Skool meee ahn dat kapitalyst shyt!