Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Magneto

The Roots - Undun Official Thread

Post by Magneto »

"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

roots always reach out to guys like this. love it.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Dope as expected.

Info on the upcoming concept album:
This morning The Roots officially announced the December 6th release of their new LP undun on Island Def Jam. A sort of novel in audio form, undun is ג€œan existential re-telling of the short life of one Redford Stephens (1974-1999).ג€ In some ways the culmination of the play between street legal rap and high art that has always characterized The Rootsג€™ music the record explores ג€œthe intersection of free will and prescribed destiny as it plays out on the corner,ג€ beginning with Redfordג€™s death and moving backwards in time to deconstruct all that has led to his (and our own) coming ג€œundun.ג€ Or as The Rootsג€™ drummer and spokesman Ahmir ג€œ?uestloveג€ Thompson puts it:

ג€œAt this point in our career weג€™d like for our work to have a unifying theme, and an experiential quality. Weג€™ve been intentionally making our albums shorter in length so that they can be experienced as a continuous work. The music is band-oriented with an eye on the moody cinematic. As a DJ, I am the King of playlists, but I donג€™t want our albums to feel like a playlist or a mixtape for that matter. We want to tell stories that work within the album format and we want the stories to be nuanced and useful to people. Undun is the story of this kid who becomes criminal, but he wasnג€™t born criminal. Heג€™s not the nouveau exotic primitive bug-eyed gunrunner like Tupacג€™s character Bishop in Juiceג€¦ heג€™s actually thoughtful and is neither victim nor hero. Just some kid who begins to order his world in a way that makes the most sense to him at a given momentג€¦ At the end of the dayג€¦ isnג€™t that what we all do?ג€

See our accompanying post to catch the World Premiere of the first leak ג€œMake Myג€ featuring Big K.R.I.T. ג€Make Myג€ hits iTunes November 1st and The Roots will be playing New Yorkג€™s Highline Ballroom on Nov. 29th-30th and again on Dec. 5th to launch the album with a bang. Get the full tracklist after the jump and stay tuned for more!

TRACKLISTING:
1. Sleep
2. Make My
3. One Time
4. Kool On
5. The Jump
6. Stomp
7. Lighthouse
8. I Remember
9. Tip The Scale
10. Redford

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I'm gonna hold off on listening. I want to hear the album in it's entirety when it is released as it is a concept album. Can't wait, though.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

dope, definitely wish there was more rapping though

david111

Post by david111 »

Philaflava wrote:roots always reach out to guys like this. love it.
krit was like tailor-made to fit into a roots tracklist.

starks

Post by starks »

this shit was amazing until black thought started in.

how many times is he going to write the same verse?

zombie

Post by zombie »

pradadon wrote:I'm gonna hold off on listening. I want to hear the album in it's entirety when it is released as it is a concept album. Can't wait, though.
i broke down and listened.

really good

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

GOATS.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

undun is an existential re-telling of the short life of one Redford Stephens (1974-1999). Through the use of emotives and Redfordג€™s internal dialogues the album seeks to illustrate the intersection of free will and prescribed destiny as it plays out ג€˜on the cornerג€™. Utilizing a reverse narrative arc, the album begins as the listener finds Redford disorientedג€“postmortemג€“and attempting to make sense of his former life. As he moves through its pivotal moments he begins to deconstruct all that has led to his (and our own) coming undun.
1. Sleep
2. Make My f. Big K.R.I.T.
3. One Time
4. Kool On
5. The Jump
6. Stomp
7. Lighthouse
8. I Remember
9. Tip The Scale
10. Redford

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

its very good music, basically. no shock.

but i swear the Roots don't want to blow up.

they just want to stay where they are.

which is kind of a shame.

oh well.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

and damn near every one of the Roots' albums is a concept album of some sort. WTF they talkin bout, LOLz

always with the cuteness.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

starks wrote:this shit was amazing until black thought started in.

how many times is he going to write the same verse?
not convinced you actually listened to the lyrics

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:its very good music, basically. no shock.

oh well.
Why should they "blow up" when they are one of the most respected acts in Hip-Hop and in American music, when it comes to their discography and live show?

I don't think any of their members are going to bed hungry.

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

The Roots blew up a long time ago.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

oh well.
Yeah, what are you even suggesting they do? You call this "very good music," but they just want to stay where they are. What kind of music would they need to make to "blow up?" I'm pretty sure most people respect the fact that they're making very good music after 20 years. That's way more than can be said about most.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

im convinced bender still has it out for black thought since he shunned him back when he was peddling his demo to rappers.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

^^^ very optimistic usage of 'was' in this sentence
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Hair of the Dog wrote:

oh well.
Yeah, what are you even suggesting they do? You call this "very good music," but they just want to stay where they are. What kind of music would they need to make to "blow up?" I'm pretty sure most people respect the fact that they're making very good music after 20 years. That's way more than can be said about most.
they can "take a risk" and, uh, i dunno... make a song with Jay-Z. Make a song with Nas. Make a song with fuckin Kreayshawn for all I care. Just don't do something so SAFE. They take these baby steps in creativity and I am not hating, I have seen them in concert more than anyone in the world. I'm not some outsider know-not who is just bitching.

Big K.R.I.T.? that's it for The Roots 2011's experimentation and newness? as a Roots fan: GTFOH, I want more. And sure, he does a good verse, but nothing that is world changing and essential listening.

I don't see how "UNDUN" is any more of a concept album than "Illadelph Halflife" or "Phrenology" was. These guys just play it TOO safe. That's why they are NOT Outkast, even though they may actually be technically more talented and skilled than Andre and Big Boi...

...they don't have ONE song on the level of 'Bombs Over Baghdad'.

I've been waiting since 1992 for them to surprise me. Still waiting.
Philaflava wrote:im convinced bender still has it out for black thought since he shunned him back when he was peddling his demo to rappers.
:roll: no.

it's the music business. you don't just fucking tread water.

Outkast, remember them? do you remember how with each album, they took risks? grew and changed? experimented? expanded?

um, yeah. I don't think I would say the exact same about the Roots.

they are good musicians, but they STAY preaching to the converted. and that shit is kinda weak after... 4 albums.

they haven't taken a REAL risk to me since they put a drum and bass outro on 'You Got Me' in 1999.

and lo and behold, what was their highest selling album to date? 'Things Fall Apart'.

:killacam:

and Jason, can you STOP being such a fucking wack dude with your sideways accusations of my personal life?

I've seen the Roots in concert 19 times. How am I a hater? ninja, please.

Guun

Post by Guun »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
they can "take a risk" and, uh, i dunno... make a song with Jay-Z. Make a song with Nas. Make a song with fuckin Kreayshawn for all I care. Just don't do something so SAFE.
A song with Jay-Z or Nas would be the definition of SAFE. how is making a 10 track pretty complex concept album SAFE.. you're buggin.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

bender has a point, although the idea of doing a song with nas or jay doesn't seem to lend itself to creative experimentation. neither of those guys are likely to be taking chances at thsi point, and are not likely to bother with anything that doesn't have hit potential. so while a song with either of them will give the roots a much bigger shot at a legitimate hit record, in terms of creative advancement it isn't promising.

the larger point he was making is valid though. this is good, but it sounds exactly like you would think it sounds. it's exactly what the fans expect at this point, that's what makes it safe . it would've been cool if they tried to follow the logic of the collaboration deeper. they haven't worked with southern rappers too much, and the southern style krit takes inspiration from really benefits from live insturmentation. they didn't really take advantage of those factors.

the outcast comparison is fairly valid too. the roots have shown a fraction of progression that outcast attempted, in twice the time. they're a very talented band, there's a million directions they can take, but they keep polishing the same thing over and over. eventually it's gonna gently morph into some adult contemporary jazz shit and fans wont even notice because most who have followed the band from the old days are already edging on being the target demographic for adult contemporary.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

shits dope but the chorus doesn't compliment it imo

zombie

Post by zombie »

mindbender is the most retarded person i've come into contact with on the internet.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

drizzle wrote:bender has a point, although the idea of doing a song with nas or jay doesn't seem to lend itself to creative experimentation. neither of those guys are likely to be taking chances at thsi point, and are not likely to bother with anything that doesn't have hit potential. so while a song with either of them will give the roots a much bigger shot at a legitimate hit record, in terms of creative advancement it isn't promising.

the larger point he was making is valid though. this is good, but it sounds exactly like you would think it sounds. it's exactly what the fans expect at this point, that's what makes it safe . it would've been cool if they tried to follow the logic of the collaboration deeper. they haven't worked with southern rappers too much, and the southern style krit takes inspiration from really benefits from live insturmentation. they didn't really take advantage of those factors.

the outcast comparison is fairly valid too. the roots have shown a fraction of progression that outcast attempted, in twice the time. they're a very talented band, there's a million directions they can take, but they keep polishing the same thing over and over. eventually it's gonna gently morph into some adult contemporary jazz shit and fans wont even notice because most who have followed the band from the old days are already edging on being the target demographic for adult contemporary.
thank you.

the last thing Outkast did sold EIGHT MILLION copies. 'Speakerboxxx/Love Below'. Those guys were like "fuck it, we're wylin out. take it or leave it." the world took it to the next plateau.
Andre 3000 farts on a record, and everyone loses their mind. Dude stays doing whatever the fuck he wants, and is duly rewarded for it.
Black Thought is barely recognizable as the face of the Roots. When's the last time he took a risk, musically?

if the Roots last 3 albums sounded as vastly creative and bold as 'Do You Want More?!??!!?' and 'Illadelph Halflife', I'd have no argument. Those records are bold and colorful and have countless examples of forward thinking hip hop artistry. The Roots have done nothing if not polished the same pearl for the last few years. How does this new song not sound like a remix to something off 'How I Got Over'? The mood of the song is the damn near exact same. And it's not bad... I'm just not compelled to go listen to it as many times as I wanted to listen to 'Swept Away'.

matter of fact, listen to that, and tell me that song isn't better than MOST of the shit the Roots dropped in the last 4 years.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1G8WmG6lLow?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1G8WmG6lLow?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

AND this would make a WAAAY better radio single than this new song. PLUS it's not some sellout bullshit.

and when the Roots DO collaborate with someone, they should make it a celebration... they had Saigon get down, but... something was missing, cause not many people cared.

maybe they need to make a song with Drake, ha ha.
Guun wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
they can "take a risk" and, uh, i dunno... make a song with Jay-Z. Make a song with Nas. Make a song with fuckin Kreayshawn for all I care. Just don't do something so SAFE.
A song with Jay-Z or Nas would be the definition of SAFE. how is making a 10 track pretty complex concept album SAFE.. you're buggin.
nah, I say Jay-Z because they've all been friends for fuckin 10 years and shit... and STILL have never made music together.

Why can't the Roots make some kind of awesome anthem featuring Jay-Z and Kanye West and Black Thought and ?uestlove, and make their biggest song ever? They are such insuluar, close-knit jazz eccentrics that they just don't want to do that... even though they could take the idea and take it beyond what people would expect... or they could just give the people what they fucking want once in a while, and make something that the radio can play. When's the last time the Roots did that? I don't mean make some wannabe Lex Luger 2011 shit, but just something that kinda sorta fits in with the culture as it is today... it's not impossible. They used to do more... most of their new stuff is moody and murky and eclectic and... distant.

and a song with Nas would hopefully be epic, and they do a 'We Major' or a 'Clones', which had the best Dice Raw verse of almost all time on it, and is still a record that has impact when it is played.

the Roots make the quietest loud statements now. they just slide under the radar all the time to me... and i say this cause i love them.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

The last thing Outkast did was Idlewild and that shit was wack.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:The last thing Outkast did was Idlewild and that shit was wack.
:lol:

nah, that was technically a soundtrack to the Idlewild movie, and they fucked up by trying to strike twice in the same spot and kind of do 'speakerboxxx/love below' again and split up the album but they weren't as focused

plus that shit had some good songs on it.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_aZx9s-mmfg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_aZx9s-mmfg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

FUCK THE WORLD, THIS OWNS

Big Boi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> most of the rap world

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Maybe if you sent Black Thought "Brokeback Gangsta" he might get creatively inspired.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

vinylpops wrote:Maybe if you sent Black Thought "Brokeback Gangsta" he might get creatively inspired.
:killacam:

oh, ok

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

hey news flash, the roots are not outkast. they will never be.

that said, they're a band who continues to produce music yearly and at a high level. despite not being as "good" as outkast, has outkast done that?

their risks are not nearly the same, one is a half-a-homo top 5 emcee and the other is big boi. the roots are a drummer, bassist, keyboardist, tuba and black thought.

and bender always goes to great lengths to say shit about them the same way he says shit about The Game. anyone who has ever dismissed bender in an interview or maybe a meeting after a concert he hates.

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

i didn't listen to the song.

keep in mind, the roots have been around since about the same time, and this is their 13th album... outkast is going on what...6? half the joints they put out on speakerboxxx/love below were gay as shit or shitty as shit. Much easier to spend 3/4 years on an album and make some weird shit changing your style quite a bit than it is to put out an album (practically) every year, and go from rap and jazz shit to we-have-all-been-fucking-erykah-badu.

Also, just based on what it seems like their work ethic is, the roots probably have a good amount of songs in the vault. They probably have some "different sounding" shit they've done (silent treatment, lazy afternoon, dat skat, shit like that for example), but chances are they put out the stuff they ENJOY the most. If you were in their position, wouldn't you be putting out the stuff you have the most fun recording, and performing, bender? they're at a point in their career where they can make what they want, and put out what they want, because they have no need to worry about what people, like for instance, bender, want. Why? do they need the money? no..they have fallon for that anyways. they get paid about 100G's a show (this was 3 years ago)... Maybe they don't want jay z on their shit? he'd probably phone his verse in and it'd suck anyway. nowadays, i'd take a verse from black thought over a verse from jay EASILY.

Outkast probably have a much smaller amount (of unreleased songs), evidently based on the frequency we see andre put shit out. as for big boi, who cares? they tend to be extremely hit or miss.