Paul Barman...

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

Reggie wrote:
Naysayer wrote:
Employee wrote:
Naysayer wrote:Funny or not, dude couldn't rap. I can admit to finding him slightly amusing, but with so many other similarly humorous acts with actual ability out there, I don't see why anyone would waste time on MC Paul Barman.
How can he not rap and who is "similarly humorous" with the skill he lacks?
Listen to any of his songs. The guy clearly lacks even the most tenuous grasp of the fundamentals necessary to not suck hard at rapping. He sounds like a Weird Al parody of an indie rapper circa 1999. He has no rhythm, style, or charisma (or swag, for all you Riff Raff fans). He's literally unlistenable.

I'm not going to type out a long exhaustive list of all the skilled rappers with humorous content that I think are superior alternatives to Barman. You already know who I'm talking about. Suffice it to say that Doom, Del, J-Zone etc. are all infinitely better than this nigga. I don't get his appeal.
I'm no Paul Barman fan, but to say that he "clearly lacks even the most tenuous grasp of the fundamentals necessary to not suck hard at rapping" is ridiculous. (Italics mine to emphasize gay phrasing). He does have a grasp of the fundamentals--in fact, it could be argued that the fundamentals of rapping are all he understands, that he has no "soul" or "pizazz" or whatever the hell intangible quality it is that makes rap listenable. Paul Barman can rap, he just chooses to rhyme shit like "shooter on a spree" with "deuteronomy."
Yeah, you could argue that, but most motherfuckers not on phila wouldn't. No Prince P production equals yet another corny, netcee sounding rapper who prizes multis over little things like riding the beat and delivery. He sounds horrible. Only difference between him and Mindbender is that MB has no self-awareness and takes himself way too seriously. Both of them sound like shit.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

The song with him and Princess Superstar was funny as Hell.

self

Post by self »

philaflava once again for the win
funny thread yo

Dan

Post by Dan »

I felt honored that at one point Barman followed me on Twitter. I hooked him up with a link to DJ Premier's Tribute to Guru show, so I guess he felt he owed me a follow. He even gave me an RT on a joke I had made. Few months ago I was going through my followers and noticed Barman was no longer there. I was :owens:

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

one of my top 5 best ever

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

ok...top 10

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

mike eagle wrote:one of my top 5 best ever
Paul Barnman TOP 5 DEAD OR ALIVE. AND THAT'S REAL.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

the song on Mike Eagle's album was another amazing use of a MCPB appearance.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

All rap should be exactly to my liking. Any rap that isn't isn't rap.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Naysayer wrote:
Reggie wrote:
Naysayer wrote:
Employee wrote:
Naysayer wrote:Funny or not, dude couldn't rap. I can admit to finding him slightly amusing, but with so many other similarly humorous acts with actual ability out there, I don't see why anyone would waste time on MC Paul Barman.
How can he not rap and who is "similarly humorous" with the skill he lacks?
Listen to any of his songs. The guy clearly lacks even the most tenuous grasp of the fundamentals necessary to not suck hard at rapping. He sounds like a Weird Al parody of an indie rapper circa 1999. He has no rhythm, style, or charisma (or swag, for all you Riff Raff fans). He's literally unlistenable.

I'm not going to type out a long exhaustive list of all the skilled rappers with humorous content that I think are superior alternatives to Barman. You already know who I'm talking about. Suffice it to say that Doom, Del, J-Zone etc. are all infinitely better than this nigga. I don't get his appeal.
I'm no Paul Barman fan, but to say that he "clearly lacks even the most tenuous grasp of the fundamentals necessary to not suck hard at rapping" is ridiculous. (Italics mine to emphasize gay phrasing). He does have a grasp of the fundamentals--in fact, it could be argued that the fundamentals of rapping are all he understands, that he has no "soul" or "pizazz" or whatever the hell intangible quality it is that makes rap listenable. Paul Barman can rap, he just chooses to rhyme shit like "shooter on a spree" with "deuteronomy."
Yeah, you could argue that, but most motherfuckers not on phila wouldn't. No Prince P production equals yet another corny, netcee sounding rapper who prizes multis over little things like riding the beat and delivery. He sounds horrible. Only difference between him and Mindbender is that MB has no self-awareness and takes himself way too seriously. Both of them sound like shit.
Nah, looks like more people agree with me, bro. Keep hyperbolizin'.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Sylissez wrote:All rap should be exactly to my liking. Any rap that isn't isn't rap.
:lock:

ogie

Post by ogie »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:
mike eagle wrote:one of my top 5 best ever
Paul Barnman TOP 5 DEAD OR ALIVE. AND THAT'S REAL.
i put him between Rakim and Biggie.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

A Kid wrote:the song on Mike Eagle's album was another amazing use of a MCPB appearance.
:cheers:
kinda amped Mike did a song with him.

on the topic of this, this video was pretty dope.
<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

he would have been a good 1987 saturday night live skit mocking rap music

Fuzzy Logic

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

i rate him just before zack de la rocha

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

A Kid wrote:the song on Mike Eagle's album was another amazing use of a MCPB appearance.
Agreed. I can't take an entire album of Barman, but I love that track.

artMajor

Post by artMajor »

well, dude is unique. you will never mistake him for another and you know instantly who it is when you hear it. And sometimes he makes you think and learn...i guess thats a bad thing? dude will build a Planned Parenthood out of transparent wood :lol:

procelebritygolf

Post by procelebritygolf »

very well honed parody Blockhead - why have i never heard that before?
but on to PAUL - i'm completely biased being a good friend of his. the guy has a great mind and applied to a passion for hip hop music he's been invaluable IMO. like someone else mentioned in this thread, if he winds up hip hop purists then bring it on..heads need to take themselves and their hip hop addiction a little less seriously methinks..ha ha ALSO,answer me this cynics...WHY did PP search out MCPB, approach him and produce an EP for him? hello, PRINCE PAUL - THE stand out talent in the art form, did he make a mistake? what do YOU think....discuss

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

artMajor wrote: dude will build a Planned Parenthood out of transparent wood :lol:
:rofl:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

procelebritygolf wrote:very well honed parody Blockhead - why have i never heard that before?
Cause it was on the Party Fun action Committee album. NO ONE heard that.

procelebritygolf

^^ you shouldve taken it to the people and toured it at malls, like tiffany...i'm sure you wouldve got a massive response...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

procelebritygolf wrote:^^ you shouldve taken it to the people and toured it at malls, like tiffany...i'm sure you wouldve got a massive response...
Tell me about it.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

mike eagle wrote:Okay...top ten.
Hah, the first time I opened this thread I was expecting to see you chiming in with something like that.
Blockhead wrote:...it was on the Party Fun action Committee album. No one heard that.
I think I actually might've been one of the only people to hear it in 2003, before any of your solo material. :smugkid: Always thought Chapstick was one of the better ones as far as style parodies go.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Always liked this single:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucZ7ZqzPpRU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucZ7ZqzPpRU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Blockhead wrote:He's no MC Noel WIessman
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EGdPGcmCrA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EGdPGcmCrA?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
:lol:

This is great.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksNO7SpxEOE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksNO7SpxEOE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:owens:

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Thread is now about PFAC...

I was thinking, it'd be cool if Block did another PFAC record. But most of the popular styles nowadays are pretty much at the point of self-parody as it is. Block would have to get ultra meta with it and produce a 2xLP for Riff Raff.

procelebritygolf

god that singing on the LD joint is nasty [bad]

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2TBX4s9C4w?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2TBX4s9C4w?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"THE WAY THAT I COMMUNICATE CAN MAKE A FRICKIN' EUNUCH MATE"

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

Brougham33 wrote:
Agreed. I can't take an entire album of Barman, but I love that track.
truth i could only listen to MCPB in small doses...i still find myself bumping the skit from Dispoable Arts over and over again..shits just hilarious to me.