Is Flav An Embarrassment To Hip Hop?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Homer Simpson

Is Flav An Embarrassment To Hip Hop?

Post by Homer Simpson »

I'm having a discussion with a person on another forum who's equating Flav to a horribly toolish artist from another genre.
So instead of arguing with dude and acting like I'm speaking for the hip hop community I was hoping I could get your guys' opinion.
...my take is that Flav is a goofball for sure and he has made some questionable career choices outside of music but I just don't see that tarnishing his legacy in hip hop.
Last edited by Homer Simpson on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

:naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf:

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbfgYFig2Fw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbfgYFig2Fw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

FUCK ALL THAT DUMB SHIT

Flavor Flav is a legendary personality

people these days probably can't appreciate the awesome 1-2 combo that was Chuck D and Flavor Flav in the late 80's

I'm glad dude stayed true to his essence instead of becoming some born again Christian in his 40's or leaving hip hop and going into politics or some dumb shit

the worst thing he did was Brigette Nielsen. but cmon, anyone who has seen Beverly Hills Cop would have probably done the same... including me :rofl:

:bow: to William Drayton
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Statikmatik

Post by Statikmatik »

Life would be nothing with out characters. FLAV4LIFE

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

one of the realest and coolest dudes i've ever met. O.G. and a legend. diddy on the other hand...

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Moolah wrote:<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbfgYFig2Fw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbfgYFig2Fw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
sad i clicked play on this. could have been much happier not knowing of its existence.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Saw him a few years back in a Las Vegas mall. He looked really dishevelled and out of it.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Spartan wrote:Saw him a few years back in a Las Vegas mall. He looked really dishevelled and out of it.
Shopping for clocks that size can take a lot out of a man.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

he was a good hype man. after he started doing flavour of love & appearing on comedy network etc i felt his antics dectracted from PE's legacy. like to somebody unfamiliar with their music is seems like that's what the group's about. can't blame him for being himself tho.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

If you've ever seen a Public Enemy live performance, then you realize how stupid of a question that is...

This guys owns the stage. The definition of a hype-man. A legend.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:he was a good hype man. after he started doing flavour of love & appearing on comedy network etc i felt his antics dectracted from PE's legacy. like to somebody unfamiliar with their music is seems like that's what the group's about. can't blame him for being himself tho.
:lol: :bork:

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

I'm reading his book at the moment, and it's a painful read. He's clearly not all there, most probably due to the copious amounts of drugs he took.

PE are incredible live, and Flav certainly is a great entertainer, but all that Flava Of Love nonsense does nothing strengthen his legacy.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I just looked up his book on amazon. Some great reviews.

I usually love reading celebrity autobiographies. This book does touch on Flav's reality shows such as The Surreal Life and Flavor of Love and the Comedy Central celebrity roast but that is only during the last few chapters.

This book also contains accounts of meeting other celebrities such as Michael Jackson and Charles Barkley but not in much detail. Every story is so brief and vague and punctuated with 'nawm sayin' and 'wowwwwwwwww' and 'yo Gee'.

I do not know much about Public Enemy and this book also mentions about Flav getting together with Chuck D and some other guy called Griff who beat Flav up a few times using martial arts. Is the band broken up by now?
Ordered this thru my Kindle. After download, my Kindle showed Flavor Flav Memoir in my list of books. I opened the title and it was actually "Chicken Soup for the Working Woman's Soul". I complained to Amazon, who sent me a canned response directing me to delete from Kindle and reload. I followed directions twice, and it was still Chicken Soup (ironically, when I open it, it does say "Flavor Flav" in the header of each page, but everything else is Chicken Soup).

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:If you've ever seen a Public Enemy live performance, then you realize how stupid of a question that is...

This guys owns the stage. The definition of a hype-man. A legend.
this too.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Always felt like he was a bit of a clown, but there is no question he was a great hype man if nothing else.

Statikmatik

Post by Statikmatik »

Mark 563 wrote:I'm reading his book at the moment, and it's a painful read. He's clearly not all there, most probably due to the copious amounts of drugs he took.

PE are incredible live, and Flav certainly is a great entertainer, but all that Flava Of Love nonsense does nothing strengthen his legacy.
I read that over Christmas, it's a good read.. but can be hard to follow in places. Definitely opens your eyes to what went on behind the scenes during the P.E days - Quite sad at times too

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLnINZ-cANI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLnINZ-cANI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>