PF Wasted Talent

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Philaflava wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:And Phila, I think your post in response to GJ is the reason why some cats will feel some kinda way about post like these. What you're doing in that post is stating the obvious. So it can come off like clowning a dude. If the point of this was to offer constructive criticism, then give some.
Totally, but sometimes its hard to separate the two, especially if there is a long-standing history of that on PF. I've tried to be calculated in my responses so it doesn't come off as if I'm clowning for the sake of clowning. Some of my constructive criticism isn't something that can change with the help of others, rather with the artist themselves.
I don't think its your intention. So, what do you think Ardy needs to do to better his career?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:And Phila, I think your post in response to GJ is the reason why some cats will feel some kinda way about post like these. What you're doing in that post is stating the obvious. So it can come off like clowning a dude. If the point of this was to offer constructive criticism, then give some.
Totally, but sometimes its hard to separate the two, especially if there is a long-standing history of that on PF. I've tried to be calculated in my responses so it doesn't come off as if I'm clowning for the sake of clowning. Some of my constructive criticism isn't something that can change with the help of others, rather with the artist themselves.
I don't think its your intention. So, what do you think Ardy needs to do to better his career?
Less passive, more aggressive. Inject some wit in the writing. Open up more and spend the time writing more narratives.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Cash is right, if there was youtube of me punching a cop my fanbase would quadruple :lol:. And what Cash said is pretty much what I've been trying to do more.

Man, I just do what I do; you don't like it, don't listen. I put my money into my shit (for the most part) and make connects however I can. Developing my shit. Trying new shit. Keeping up with technology and how to promote better. None of that shit is easy to do when you have minimal to none on your team. Its like, a nigga don't have a Rhymesayers (waddup sean) backing him, a QN5 hitting him up, and etc. But I've connected folks to where worked out to indie deals on my own (one with Blak that does music with Joe Beats; second one is with Infinito 2017's Joe Left Records). And I'm still trying newer things.

For those who haven't heard anything new I've done. Here's two new singles I dropped from my upcoming album with C Royal called "The Glass Is Half Full Of". Full length is out on Feb. 28th. Its too passive sounding, I can't help that. I'm not going to yell crazy as fuck over smooth ass beats like these. :lol:

http://ardamus.bandcamp.com/album/im-no ... ure-single

http://ardamus.bandcamp.com/album/wishi ... -me-single

this track is from that album, too.
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bPW4oIzwGU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bPW4oIzwGU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

here's some older stuff I did
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENFSakdMiNs?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENFSakdMiNs?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Gloss, for some reason, I feel like you rarely check my shit and continually make the same assessment based on what you've heard me do on the posse cuts and some of what you have from me (I know you didn't like the Ardaplus project). You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to let you know when you're wrong. I'm far from Kweli and not even close to being on Maybach Music. But it is what it is. All I can do is do my shit until the wheels fall off regardless.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I will def check out these new tracks. Maybe you're right, I haven't heard enough new stuff to justify my assessment but I'll give a listen. :cheers:

gentlejones

Post by gentlejones »

i listened to wishin that was me and i think it is solid

infinito is very very dope, a brilliant dude

gentlejones

Post by gentlejones »

ardamus wrote:not going to yell crazy as fuck over smooth ass beats
that's what they did in new york for decades

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Philaflava wrote:What do you think Afronaut about him (Ardy)?
Honestly havent heard a lot of Ardamus' material outside of the Phila posse cuts and and one or two of the videos he posted, so Im definitely not in the spot to give a career-wide perspective.

That said, Ive liked most of what Ive heard from him. If i were to offer constructive criticism it would probably be more on some of the production he's chosen to spit over.

The reason I asked about the "punch" deal was because I wasnt sure what you meant. Like was it his lyrics need to be stronger or more edgy, did his delivery need to be more hype?..."punch" was just kinda ambiguous.

That said...we ALL are armchair A&Rs to some degree so I often wonder why Gloss gets so much heat about it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ardamus wrote:Cash is right, if there was youtube of me punching a cop my fanbase would quadruple :lol:. And what Cash said is pretty much what I've been trying to do more.

Man, I just do what I do; you don't like it, don't listen. I put my money into my shit (for the most part) and make connects however I can. Developing my shit. Trying new shit. Keeping up with technology and how to promote better. None of that shit is easy to do when you have minimal to none on your team. Its like, a nigga don't have a Rhymesayers (waddup sean) backing him, a QN5 hitting him up, and etc. But I've connected folks to where worked out to indie deals on my own (one with Blak that does music with Joe Beats; second one is with Infinito 2017's Joe Left Records). And I'm still trying newer things.

For those who haven't heard anything new I've done. Here's two new singles I dropped from my upcoming album with C Royal called "The Glass Is Half Full Of". Full length is out on Feb. 28th. Its too passive sounding, I can't help that. I'm not going to yell crazy as fuck over smooth ass beats like these. :lol:

http://ardamus.bandcamp.com/album/im-no ... ure-single

http://ardamus.bandcamp.com/album/wishi ... -me-single

this track is from that album, too.
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bPW4oIzwGU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bPW4oIzwGU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

here's some older stuff I did
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENFSakdMiNs?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENFSakdMiNs?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Gloss, for some reason, I feel like you rarely check my shit and continually make the same assessment based on what you've heard me do on the posse cuts and some of what you have from me (I know you didn't like the Ardaplus project). You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to let you know when you're wrong. I'm far from Kweli and not even close to being on Maybach Music. But it is what it is. All I can do is do my shit until the wheels fall off regardless.
Good luck, ardy and I really mean that. You've got talent, man.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

:reason:

He could have been the next Crown J

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i thought this thread was going to be about the lack of submissions for the posse cut

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the real answer though is galvy
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:
Philaflava wrote:What do you think Afronaut about him (Ardy)?
Honestly havent heard a lot of Ardamus' material outside of the Phila posse cuts and and one or two of the videos he posted, so Im definitely not in the spot to give a career-wide perspective.

That said, Ive liked most of what Ive heard from him. If i were to offer constructive criticism it would probably be more on some of the production he's chosen to spit over.

The reason I asked about the "punch" deal was because I wasnt sure what you meant. Like was it his lyrics need to be stronger or more edgy, did his delivery need to be more hype?..."punch" was just kinda ambiguous.

That said...we ALL are armchair A&Rs to some degree so I often wonder why Gloss gets so much heat about it.
That kind of milquetoast opinion is exactly what an artist of any stripe never needs. It is vague, pandering, and borderline insulting. No offense to you, 'Fro. Ardamus doesn't do anything wrong on the mic, but is it wrong to say he is boring as fuck in terms of his content and its presentation? Like in this thread Spartan will dap dude (nh) and never listen to his music again. Allow me to quote Doseone (because who the fuck else is going to): "It's not bad rap...I just do't feel it...There I said it." In my not so humble opinion that is virtually all :phila:-rappers monkey wrench. When there was a push for Big Scen here I was baffled because the dude is weak as fuck. Fundamentals down and all of the basics, but a listening experience about as enjoyable as a late-stage circumcision.

The lack of distinct styles; tackling the same subject matter in the same way; soft ass beats; metrosexuality-meets-murda; poor presentation; none of that is an incitement to listen. It also seems like not many are interested in building a strong support infrastructure or simply cannot find anyone who believes in them outside of themselves for management, booking etc.

Accessibility to a preexisting fan base also seemingly goes a long fucking way. No one can tell me a talentless, morbidly obese, extra-strength rapeface, anti-Semitic, slam poet as fashion statement like B. Dolan would be anything more than a mocked ad forgotten MySpace page without Sage's fans and their blind allegiance.

Cats posting here who have access to Slug, Mac Lethal, Blockhead and Rob Sonic are doing themselves a huge disservice by not asking some questions, publicly or via PM.

self

Post by self »

Piff Tannen wrote:i thought this thread was going to be about the lack of submissions for the posse cut
:ironmike: my bad yoo

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

drizzle wrote:the real answer though is galvy

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:That kind of milquetoast opinion is exactly what an artist of any stripe never needs. It is vague, pandering, and borderline insulting. No offense to you, 'Fro.
None taken. Im not sure what else to say when asked in the manner I was asked, though. I really cant sit up here and go in about Ardamus as an artist because I am only casually familiar with his work.

People being very opinionated about things they are very loosely familiar with is one of my pet peeves so I try to avoid doing that.

My reply was not meant to be insulting to Ardamus at all, but vagueness is something I really couldnt get around due to the given circumstances.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Moolah wrote:
drizzle wrote:the real answer though is galvy
This. can't believe he doesn't take advantage of rapping more. Dude is very skilled and hilarious.

The Afronaut wrote:
Employee wrote:That kind of milquetoast opinion is exactly what an artist of any stripe never needs. It is vague, pandering, and borderline insulting. No offense to you, 'Fro.
None taken. Im not sure what else to say when asked in the manner I was asked, though. I really cant sit up here and go in about Ardamus as an artist because I am only casually familiar with his work.

People being very opinionated about things they are very loosely familiar with is one of my pet peeves so I try to avoid doing that.

My reply was not meant to be insulting to Ardamus at all, but vagueness is something I really couldnt get around due to the given circumstances.
Its ok, Emp, I actually get what Afro was saying. Its an argument my peers have had with me. Like when I did "A Day In The Life Of Modern Day Living", some of the folks I roll with now were hyper critical of the production. Same with the Ardaplus stuff I had done. On the other hand, it got some love from different circles of people I know. Doing projects like that I was trying to (1) find myself some more and (2) challenge myself. Plus, they were in group settings in a different state of mind and different setting.

Actually, I'm not sure if I mentioned my crew FAR EXP on here. Maybe you guys will like this more. FAR EXP is Flex Mathews, Fleetwood DeVille, Ardamus, RNL, and Redhead.

Vol. 1: The Experiment
http://farexp.bandcamp.com/

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm Not The One is really cool.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

the bottom line here is BE INTERESTING.

Ardamus, in my estimation, will likely never make it past where he is now because he's not enough of an attention-whore.

He puts out downtempo bangerz like "Wishin' That Was Me" (which I really like, btw) as singles and there isn't one picture of him, or anything provocative/interesting for that matter, on his bandcamp page or any of the single/album artwork.

Not saying he's wasting his talent, but he is doing a terrible job at marketing himself to new listeners.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:the bottom line here is BE INTERESTING.

Not saying he's wasting his talent, but he is doing a terrible job at marketing himself to new listeners.
I mean, that's how I feel as a rap listener. "BE INTERESTING."

Make me as uncomfortable about being white as you possibly can. Please.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Employee wrote:Make me as uncomfortable about being white as you possibly can. Please.
:lol:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:the bottom line here is BE INTERESTING.

Ardamus, in my estimation, will likely never make it past where he is now because he's not enough of an attention-whore.

He puts out downtempo bangerz like "Wishin' That Was Me" (which I really like, btw) as singles and there isn't one picture of him, or anything provocative/interesting for that matter, on his bandcamp page or any of the single/album artwork.

Another thing that another one of my folks have gotten onto me about. I actually have more connects for getting more imaging done (thanks Piff). Trust me, I want to change all these things. It just takes a lot of fucking time to do :lol:. There was actually supposed to be a video for "I'm Not The One" but the director had some employment issues. And knowing people with 7D cams and etc., they can charge quite a bit; understandable because, people liked getting paid for their services. But from now on, I found out a way to do it cost effectively. I just need to do it right and I'll be good.

As far as being an attention-whore, on here I don't do that. Part of it I see where it gets you on here: trolled and trolled even more. Now, if that doesn't make me interesting, I don't know what to tell you. I just work, make you aware of my work, and if you like it.....support it. I always rapped to keep myself out of trouble and keep my head straight. I guess with that, I never realized I'd take it this seriously and have to keep motivating, adjusting, and changing up to find the angles of what I'd like to do. So that may be part of why I've never been a full out attention whore, so I guess makes me not interesting (to you at least).

But none the less, good feedback and it was constructive criticism. Thanks.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

You currently work a full time job in addition to rapping right Ardy? And went through grad school as I well I think?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

The Afronaut wrote:You currently work a full time job in addition to rapping right Ardy? And went through grad school as I well I think?
Lets just say that I'm employed, somewhat. :lol: Yeah, I went thru grad school.

Btw, I forgot to shoutout Spartan for the good words. Thanks homie, I appreciate that.

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

Ardamus, you sould definitely punch a cop or make a fake battle video where you karate kick someone like that guy whose name I can't remember whose not Nocando did.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

This is where having a good manager comes in. Rare for underground cats.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ardamus wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:You currently work a full time job in addition to rapping right Ardy? And went through grad school as I well I think?
Lets just say that I'm employed, somewhat. :lol: Yeah, I went thru grad school.
Okay. For me, it would be hard to level any hardcore criticism against a person who'd kept grinding throughout the process of graduate school.

If rapping can still pique your interest and you are doing reasonably well for an underground dude while simultaneously working on "real life" shit, who the fuck am I tell you to "be more" anything?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Cash Rulz wrote:This is where having a good manager comes in. Rare for underground cats.
this.

disciplined visionaries are a dying breed.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

me

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:This is where having a good manager comes in. Rare for underground cats.
this.

disciplined visionaries are a dying breed.
Trust between two humans is a dying breed.

So are open minded, ego-less artists that don't have an insane amount of trust issues. Talking to artists and offering a helping hand is like trying to hug a rape victim after the night of the incident. These guys must deal with a lot of janky people because I have never experienced such fierce skepticism, animosity, and awkwardness before in my life.

I just hope some of these dudes actually check up on these managers/pr people they end up working with and get rid of them. It's gotten 10 x worse for artists not affiliated with an established label or PR firm over the last few years from my perspective. I've seen some of the absolute worst representation, emails, and ideas come from these nobodies (from a blogger and a few other perspectives) and it only hurts the artist. It will never override talent-- good music will always get out there eventually-- but these people need to really stop hiring their cousins. IMO, this stuff is more important in this day and age where one chance might be all you have in some areas.

:didntread:

I don't see wasted talent on here as much as I do confusion, lack of execution, and lack of ideas. If I was a musician, I would feel the same way right now. Too much flux, too much to learn/do/master, and too much riding on luck most people don't have.

A lot of talent in the :phila: subterranea, though. Props to you all for even enduring this madness.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

both those videos are insanely dope man. really lookin forward to what you do over my shit (nh).