i self devine (thread)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

silence wrote:
unclebengi wrote:I don't know, I Self never comes wack or anything, but I'm surprised at people saying they like this 2nd one better than the first. Not only do I like the beats on the first one a lot better, but there's better concepts and a lot of personally revealing songs. Mecca's such a dope song to end with too.

So I guess I'm not really disparaging this new one, just surprised how good the first "mixtape" was. I liked it so much it probably set my expectations a little too high for the rest.
I don't know which people you are talking about, but it seems like I am the only one that actually said I *might* like this one better.

That said, I can see how someone would like the first one or second better, but in reality both are high quality. I get surprised when one is obviously better than another, but that just isn't the case here.I don't really see how it would be surprising that someone would feel one way or another.
Yeah I guess it was just you, again, not hating on the 2nd, I just liked the first one quite a bit better and was a little surprised at the board's consistent reaction to both. I probably listened to the 1st one 10 times in the first week I had it and I've barely listened to the 2nd one twice.

I guess I liked the LA theme of the first one and it seemed like more of an album than a mixtape, the second one seemed like a good collection of songs, but wasn't nearly as focused or cohesive as the first IMO.

silence

Post by silence »

unclebengi wrote:
silence wrote:
unclebengi wrote:I don't know, I Self never comes wack or anything, but I'm surprised at people saying they like this 2nd one better than the first. Not only do I like the beats on the first one a lot better, but there's better concepts and a lot of personally revealing songs. Mecca's such a dope song to end with too.

So I guess I'm not really disparaging this new one, just surprised how good the first "mixtape" was. I liked it so much it probably set my expectations a little too high for the rest.
I don't know which people you are talking about, but it seems like I am the only one that actually said I *might* like this one better.

That said, I can see how someone would like the first one or second better, but in reality both are high quality. I get surprised when one is obviously better than another, but that just isn't the case here.I don't really see how it would be surprising that someone would feel one way or another.
Yeah I guess it was just you, again, not hating on the 2nd, I just liked the first one quite a bit better and was a little surprised at the board's consistent reaction to both. I probably listened to the 1st one 10 times in the first week I had it and I've barely listened to the 2nd one twice.

I guess I liked the LA theme of the first one and it seemed like more of an album than a mixtape, the second one seemed like a good collection of songs, but wasn't nearly as focused or cohesive as the first IMO.

If you liked the 1st one, try giving the second one a little more chance. i immediately like it.... Maybe it has to grow on you, but to me, I like the beats a lot. Liked the concepts on the songs too. I been bumpin both consistently.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

New mixtape dropped- http://bit.ly/ISDReports

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRTeEnL9wis?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRTeEnL9wis?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

zombie

Post by zombie »

this new one is much better than the other two.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

man, i can't even tell which one is my fav. yet. i think in general i'm just amped he's putting a ton of shit thats consistent.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

yeah i def dont think one is better than the other, they are all so far equally really good and filled to the brim with knowledge to marinate into your soul
Last edited by Neuro on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

think i'm gonna put this on random once i get back in the gym and run again. might have to see how these measure up with the micronauts projects, semi-official, and self destruction.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

SHIT IS NICE.

david111

Post by david111 »

i like this new one the best too

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

These have all been great. Looking forward to the LP.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XbXXnkkrNMI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XbXXnkkrNMI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
new sick ass vid.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

I love I Self Devine. I'm givin' him much shine on my blog. It's too bad the vast majority of the population doesn't give a fuck about my blog. I'm trying to make him a millionaire so he can do even more good for this world as far as making it a decent place to be alive and shit like dat der.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Album's up for preorder- http://rhymesayers.com/iselfdevine

1. Intro
2. Hold On
3. Cycles
4. Power
5. The Origin Of Urban Crisis
6. Conditioned
7. Living Under Siege
8. Exist To Remain
9. Cold Anger (Know Ya Rights)
10. Stuck
11. To Be Needed
12. The World As It Is
13. As It Can Be
14. Self Awareness Part 1, 2, & 3
In The Sound of Low Class Amerika, you can feel the passion I Self Devine delivers on topics of community, class and social injustice in America as he spits truths to inspire the masses. The album is both a narrative for the current state of the world and a telling history as to how we arrived here. I Self Devine's truly unique voice and style create a sense of urgency and call to action while leading and equipping the listener with the tools necessary to act and dissent. Production from Jake One, Vitamin D, Medium Zach, Benzilla, DJ Todda, King Karnov, and Proh Mic drives the entire album, as well a guest feature from RSE labelmate Brother Ali.. It comes in strong and never slows or wavers as it takes to the listeners ear and marches them to the end. This is an album that ultimately solidifies I Self's position as a leader -- not only in his own social community but that of the music community.
I guess if you preorder the album it gives you a link for the 4th and final mixtape. Comes in CD or vinyl and has a deluxe package w/ a t-shirt. Dude has been putting in work.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

unclebengi wrote:Album's up for preorder- http://rhymesayers.com/iselfdevine

1. Intro
2. Hold On
3. Cycles
4. Power
6. Conditioned
7. Living Under Siege
8. Exist To Remain
10. Stuck
11. To Be Needed
12. The World As It Is
13. As It Can Be
In The Sound of Low Class Amerika, you can feel the passion I Self Devine delivers on topics of community, class and social injustice in America as he spits truths to inspire the masses. The album is both a narrative for the current state of the world and a telling history as to how we arrived here. I Self Devine's truly unique voice and style create a sense of urgency and call to action while leading and equipping the listener with the tools necessary to act and dissent. Production from Jake One, Vitamin D, Medium Zach, Benzilla, DJ Todda, King Karnov, and Proh Mic drives the entire album, as well a guest feature from RSE labelmate Brother Ali.. It comes in strong and never slows or wavers as it takes to the listeners ear and marches them to the end. This is an album that ultimately solidifies I Self's position as a leader -- not only in his own social community but that of the music community.
I guess if you preorder the album it gives you a link for the 4th and final mixtape. Comes in CD or vinyl and has a deluxe package w/ a t-shirt. Dude has been putting in work.
Easiest decision I've ever made. Copped. Love that dude. Homo? Fuck you. Support this man! Now!

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

What brand is the shirt. I'm 6'3" 185 and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with an XL or XXL. If it's gonna shrink and fade I'll go XXL. If it's good material like American Apparel then I'll go with the XL. Thanks, Sean.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Support I Self Devine. Most Important MC Today.

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

unclebengi wrote:Album's up for preorder- http://rhymesayers.com/iselfdevine

1. Intro
2. Hold On
3. Cycles
4. Power
6. Conditioned
7. Living Under Siege
8. Exist To Remain
10. Stuck
11. To Be Needed
12. The World As It Is
13. As It Can Be
Last edited by Rachel Hobozal on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

cmon man
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

drizzle wrote:cmon man

Req

Post by Req »

how did Life Vizualiza get Cleanhobo's password?
F.U. MOOLAH

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Who's more important, funny dudes.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

And Qwel isn't even in the same ballpark as I Self Devine. Not even the same sport. I Self Is brass knuckle rugby. Qwel is male ping pong in pink thongs.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Cleanhobo wrote:Who's more important, funny dudes.
Any rapper with more than a couple hundred fans?

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
Any rapper with more than a couple hundred fans?
Wow. So is Britney Spears one of the most important musicians, political figures, community activists, etc., to ever bless my radio speakers? Has she done more for this world as far as making it a better place than Boots Riley or I Self Devine or Chuck D? I mean, by your logic that would be true. She's sold more records than all of them combined. Twelve times over. Or more.

Don't be stupid, bud.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

it's not a question of who's more important, that's how you feel that's cool, your opinion is just that and you have every right to it. but starting a new thread literally right under a thread on the same topic is just annoying spam. it's not like the other thread was festering without any interest either
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Drizzle's flexing on you because he is disgusted with the lack of Space Ghost Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

And for the record: I Self Devine is perpetually overlooked for reasons that are beyond me.

Definitely dropped one of the illest albums between 2000-2010. PERIOD.

:jaz:

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

drizzle wrote:
it's not a question of who's more important, that's how you feel that's cool, your opinion is just that and you have every right to it. but starting a new thread literally right under a thread on the same topic is just annoying spam. it's not like the other thread was festering without any interest either
He's a good dude. A guy that needs our support. That thread isn't getting many hits. In fact, you might as well delete it. People didn't realize till I made my post that his new album is available for purchase on vinyl and cd and digital download and that it comes with a nice t-shirt if you place your order soon. So really, drizzle. C'mon man.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Employee wrote:And for the record: I Self Devine is perpetually overlooked for reasons that are beyond me.

Definitely dropped one of the illest albums between 2000-2010. PERIOD.

:jaz:
Couldn't agree more. And every single free mixtape he put out is awesome as well. I put more people onto I Self every day and they all love it and want to hear more. And thanks to my website/blog I'm gonna help him sell many more copies of this new album than he would have otherwise. Am I getting paid by rhymesayers? No. Why the fuck to I care so much? Because he cares about putting out a quality product. If more people did the same thing I probably wouldn't be typing this message right now.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

hobo I'm with you that he deserves more shine, but drizz made a key point here-
drizzle wrote:it's not like the other thread was festering without any interest either
There's been I Self discussion for every mixtape he's dropped this year and it's been overwhelmingly positive. The board seems a little dead today, but based on the reaction to the mixtapes to this point, there's no reason to think there won't be plenty of heads checking the thread and copping the album.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »