Young Thug Is Majestic

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

sleazy_j

Re: Young Thug Is Majestic

Post by sleazy_j »

Young Thug on reddit almost three years ago

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/g ... signing_a/

Q: Within 30 seconds of you rapping how often do you mention bitches, clubs, expensive cars and booze?
A: nothing in the first 30 seconds, everyone knows you want to wait until the 45 second mark..dick. And I've never mentioned an expensive car in anything, for what it's worth. No, valid question. I make a product for a certain audience and I'm good at it. Supply and demand, simple economics. I don't do this because I love the attention, I do this because I have a certain skill set that now allows me to get paid without the threat of doing federal time.

Q:What's your view on music piracy?
A:Piracy is good for underground artists, thanks to google people search the fuck out of songs to find the original artist. You end up getting more exposure as a indie artist. At this point I'm just happy my music is getting out. My management hate the shit though and now that music is the product they see piracy as money out of our pockets. I focus on music, I let them stress legalities and royolaties.

Q:How old are you and what crimes have you committed?
A:19, I sold weed and pills until a year ago.

senorhaha

Post by senorhaha »

anyone who thinks thug is gay, is gay

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Still skeptical despite really enjoying Stoner, YRN, and Some More. All I hear is ear worms and shitty rapping (although he says some funny shit sometimes). Doesn't seem sustainable.

Wish "Danny Glover" had a more robust beat too, like Stoner. These 808 records won't age well.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Wish "Danny Glover" had a more robust beat too, like Stoner. These 808 records won't age well.
I agree. My hope for Thugger is the same as for Chief Keef, which is that they both go full weirdo and embrace strange sounding music, especially with their production. Going forward their careers are gonna be much more interesting if they have a bunch of shit that sounds more like "Danny Glover" or "Citgo," rather than "Stoner" or "Don't Like."

PEACE

senorhaha

Post by senorhaha »

shitty rapping? GTFOH YOUNG THUG THE STYLE MESSIAH

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Don't know how to feel about the reported cash money signing. Although a thug and mystikal collabo would be about as good as it gets.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

If true that would literally be the only combination on the roster worth any interest. Not looking forward to seeing him tacked on Wayne throwaways. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll do an album with Wes Borland.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Paris Hilton.

seagrams hotsauce

:lol:

DLG

Post by DLG »

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Tape with Gucci and tape with Quan should bothe be dope. I'll give him credit for not sacrificing quality as he blows up

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Can't wait for a proper version of "eww". Dat beat is sinister

senorhaha

Post by senorhaha »

so thug proved hes the best rapper ever again today right? mikah listening with his jaw drop, young thug style messiah sorry spoon

seagrams hotsauce

This type of situation — an artist signing a production deal, then joining up with a major label — is not uncommon, and usually wouldn’t be an issue, if the original deal-holder was able to negotiate the terms of the new deal. But by implying he was a free agent when he signed with APG, Young Thug essentially forced an unintended partnership between APG and Gucci Mane, without either party’s consent. “Gucci Mane was supposed to negotiate what label Thug would have ended up on, but that didn’t happen,” Jordan said.
It didn’t help that Gucci Mane and Atlantic already had a particularly sticky relationship. Gucci Mane was once signed to Atlantic as a solo act, and his boutique imprint 1017 Brick Squad was distributed by Atlantic. But after his September 2013 breakdown, during which he insulted Atlantic on Twitter, Gucci reportedly was dropped from Atlantic. (The relationship of Gucci Mane’s 1017 label to Atlantic is now unclear — one label rep told Billboard that 1017 Brick Squad is still an Atlantic imprint; another reached by BuzzFeed said “1017 is not a part of Atlantic.” It’s possible that 1017 Brick Squad is operated independently but somehow backed by Atlantic’s parent company, Warner Music Group — perhaps via the Warner-owned distribution arm Alternative Distribution Alliance.)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/naomizeichner/y ... label-deal

Whole thing is worth a read. Situation is very fucked up.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

thanks. more info than i would've expected from a buzzfeed article

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

that girl must really like new rap.

there's a sentence in there claiming kevin gates has been secretly signed for a few years. no surprise, really. also the talks of labels making rappers release EPs on iTunes but also released as mixtapes for authenticity.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Rapping! Sweet lord bask in the Glory. Mmmmmmmm. Uuuugggghhhhh.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Zuse's tape got some good shit too
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i like this joint

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Wow

PEACE

stems

Post by stems »

Crazy jawn. Crazy Buzzfeed article. Didn't know they were capable of that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^ it's not a product of 'them', it's a product of one writer who also writes (or has written in the past) for other relatively more respectable rap publications

stems

Post by stems »

New Media is outta control!

Fuzzy Logic

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

the new track is so fking bonkers. he is on a crazy run right now

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

sorry if that came off snappish, wasn't intended as such

a lot of rap writers just bounce around from site to site these days, or pitch freelance pieces to anybody that won't delete their email. so the idea of a rap publication/blog/whatever having a unified 'voice' shared by all contributors is slowly dying out

Nahright used to just post random new commercial shit and ny mixtape rappers, but now they have a guy doing indepth posts on old yo mtv raps episodes that are as good as Troy's stuff. Pitchfork has the worst rep for rap coverage, but there are contributors there who give high marks to legitimately good new rap. Complex is known for dumb lists but have some people doing smart long-form writeups (IDL contributes there now occasionally)... etc etc etc

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

drizzle wrote:sorry if that came off snappish, wasn't intended as such

a lot of rap writers just bounce around from site to site these days, or pitch freelance pieces to anybody that won't delete their email. so the idea of a rap publication/blog/whatever having a unified 'voice' shared by all contributors is slowly dying out

Nahright used to just post random new commercial shit and ny mixtape rappers, but now they have a guy doing indepth posts on old yo mtv raps episodes that are as good as Troy's stuff. Pitchfork has the worst rep for rap coverage, but there are contributors there who give high marks to legitimately good new rap. Complex is known for dumb lists but have some people doing smart long-form writeups (IDL contributes there now occasionally)... etc etc etc
I'm not too keen on pitchfork either, but what are your thoughts on Craig Jenkins?

PEACE

stems

Post by stems »

Yeah, that's just the new model. Click-bait sites make the money; magazines are dead.

But if "47 pictures of kittens" subsidize this level of reporting, I guess I could live with that.