ACTION BRONSON - BLUE CHIPS

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Versive

Post by Versive »

When I heard Hookers at the Point I had the same reaction to the beat that many of you are having (it's just one loop, what the hell, wah), but that's really the only beat that consists exclusively of one 1-bar loop.

And overall these beats are funky as fuck, complementing his style perfectly, especially in the mixtape format. If you're going to complain about anything, why not bitch about how they left vocal mistakes all over the record? If your excuse for that is, "oh well it gives the tape a raw sound," then there's your answer for why these beats work." It's one guy chopping and looping breaks with another guy rhyming over them.

Thug Love Story 2012 is my favorite joint on here right now.

Stole my mother's car, crashed it by the Burger King
Young love but we thought it was eternity
Raw sex, never thought about paternity
but now this cunt is tryna murder me
abusing me physically and verbally
said my dick was too small, I went and got the surgery
just to show it off

:lol:

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Versive wrote:When I heard Hookers at the Point I had the same reaction to the beat that many of you are having (it's just one loop, what the hell, wah), but that's really the only beat that consists exclusively of one 1-bar loop.

And overall these beats are funky as fuck, complementing his style perfectly, especially in the mixtape format. If you're going to complain about anything, why not bitch about how they left vocal mistakes all over the record? If your excuse for that is, "oh well it gives the tape a raw sound," then there's your answer for why these beats work." It's one guy chopping and looping breaks with another guy rhyming over them.

Thug Love Story 2012 is my favorite joint on here right now.

Stole my mother's car, crashed it by the Burger King
Young love but we thought it was eternity
Raw sex, never thought about paternity
but now this cunt is tryna murder me
abusing me physically and verbally
said my dick was too small, I went and got the surgery
just to show it off

:lol:
Great song, great verse.

I like the beats fine.

I just feel like he drops too much music that is all too similar in terms of the overall aesthetic and rhyme content/styles/delivery all at once.

But like I said earlier, he is getting bigger and bigger so maybe I am the only one who hasn't started to feel those diminishing returns. (nullus)
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Blockhead wrote:Listen, I realize homeboy is not reinventing the wheel with these beats but they're enjoyable. I think they work well with A.B.'s style.
I'll never get tired of dope loops. Sure, it's the easiest thing on the planet to make but it still takes a good ear and you'd be surprised how many people can't even make these kind of beats well.
Basically, if you're hating on these beats cause of how simple they are but giving Ka's beats or Madlib's beats props, you're talking out of your ass.
Word Block and what some people are forgetting is this is a mix-tape, who gives a shit if the beats are basic loops? Shit is dope I'm loving this throwback shit and it's about time people gave the Ghost comparisons a rest, Ac B is his own animal.
Last edited by Jaz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Employee wrote:
Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:am I the only one that just wants action bronson to go away, and ghost to come back and start making more music?
No. And I'm not even in the east.
I thought you were a fan of AB Emp?

DLG

Post by DLG »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
I just feel like he drops too much music that is all too similar in terms of the overall aesthetic and rhyme content/styles/delivery all at once.
this.

Dap

Post by Dap »

someone please break down for me how he is biting ghostface's style and or way of rapping (besides the voice)

because i don't really see it

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

Dap wrote:someone please break down for me how he is biting ghostface's style and or way of rapping (besides the voice)

hes not, its just the voice

ghost would never spit shit that AB is spitting, save for references to knee length leather coats, and vice versa

i am enjoying this mixtape, tapas is my shit

i love tapas the food too

swag

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Dap wrote:someone please break down for me how he is biting ghostface's style and or way of rapping (besides the voice)

Anyone still harping on the Ghostface things as their main beef with AB is reaching, IMO.

Or maybe I just don't really hear it. The content is totally different. And a voice is just a voice, I think Earl sounds kinda like Cadence Weapon, but unless he started spitting the same as Mssrs Pemberton, not an issue for me.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Are you twelve or deaf or a deaf twelve-tear-old?

I'm not claiming biting of the lyrical caliber because I've never sat down and compared the two and Complex has yet to arrange a list for easy reference. In terms of cadence, delivery, writing style (not lyrics, technical faggots): he is indistinguishable from Ghostface unless you're accounting for his close-to-overwhelming shittiness that readily distinguishes him from Ghostface.

I get it: cats need a new ill rapper to check out. But this is such a blatant style jack its both pathetic and confounding as to why people like The Alchemist want to fuck with him or why the average thirtysomething rap fan gets boners over listening to what are the equivalent of Ghostface reference tracks that RZA would tell him to never put out.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Employee wrote:

I'm not claiming biting of the lyrical caliber because I've never sat down and compared the two and Complex has yet to arrange a list for easy reference. In terms of cadence, delivery, writing style (not lyrics, technical faggots): he is indistinguishable from Ghostface unless you're accounting for his close-to-overwhelming shittiness that readily distinguishes him from Ghostface.

I get it: cats need a new ill rapper to check out. But this is such a blatant style jack its both pathetic and confounding as to why people like The Alchemist want to fuck with him or why the average thirtysomething rap fan gets boners over listening to what are the equivalent of Ghostface reference tracks that RZA would tell him to never put out.
yes im a deaf 12 year old. please post some verses highlighting the differences. please point out where the deliveries and cadences are the same, i need to know man.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:

yes im a deaf 12 year old. please post some verses highlighting the differences. please point out where the deliveries and cadences are the same, i need to know man.
Listen to anything he has out. That is my point. Everything he does is a blatant style jack. His whole career would be someone else's if Ghostface didn't exist.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:

Listen to anything he has out. That is my point. Everything he does is a blatant style jack. His whole career would be someone else's if Ghostface didn't exist.
he raps about different shit, he raps over different beats, and even on the song they did together, they didn't really sound the same

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:

he raps about different shit, he raps over different beats, and even on the song they did together, they didn't really sound the same
It's a simple matter of disagreement. In my estimation there is nothing remotely appealing about AB as a rapper: he is a style biter. Should I care about that at my age? No. Do I? Yes.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote: Are you twelve or deaf or a deaf twelve-tear-old?

It's a simple matter of disagreement. In my estimation there is nothing remotely appealing about AB as a rapper: he is a style biter. Should I care about that at my age? No. Do I? Yes.
in my estimation, every rapper to come out in the last 10 years can probably be called a style biter. nothing new under the sun when it comes to what people rap about and how they do it. the only difference has been people rapping over "non-traditional" sounding beats ala danny brown

if you are good at rapping, and aren't a blatant fraud, i can usually enjoy the shit

just my opinion

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:
Dap wrote: yes im a deaf 12 year old. please post some verses highlighting the differences. please point out where the deliveries and cadences are the same, i need to know man.
in my estimation, every rapper to come out in the last 10 years can probably be called a style biter. nothing new under the sun when it comes to what people rap about and how they do it. the only difference has been people rapping over "non-traditional" sounding beats ala danny brown

if you are good at rapping, and aren't a blatant fraud, i can usually enjoy the shit

just my opinion
"Non-traditional sounding beats" have kind of been happening since like 1985. Obviously every rapper is influenced by an assortment of rappers or one rapper they listen to religiously. I expect to hear that kind of shit manifest itself. AB might as well have locked himself in a room from the time he emerged from the womb until his late-teens while only being exposed to Ghostface songs, though.

He's like a goiter that sprouted arms and legs, rolled off of Ghost's neck (nh), and found a few bloggers who liked him.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote:
Dap wrote:
Employee wrote: Listen to anything he has out. That is my point. Everything he does is a blatant style jack. His whole career would be someone else's if Ghostface didn't exist.

just my opinion
"Non-traditional sounding beats" have kind of been happening since like 1985. Obviously every rapper is influenced by an assortment of rappers or one rapper they listen to religiously. I expect to hear that kind of shit manifest itself. AB might as well have locked himself in a room from the time he emerged from the womb until his late-teens while only being exposed to Ghostface songs, though.

He's like a goiter that sprouted arms and legs, rolled off of Ghost's neck (nh), and found a few bloggers who liked him.
i guess i should have specified "non traditional sounding beats" as "techno/euroish mixed with 808's and shit" and the new "sampling ambient music" wave

and realistically, what rappers do you listen to these days that are fresh to you (nh)? i like quite a few of the new rappers, but i wouldn't say any of them are doing something new under the sun. in 2012, i'm fine with that as long as the music is entertaining

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PY-yTaW9vdY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PY-yTaW9vdY?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

the ghost voice was my biggest complaint when i first heard him. i was simply unable to let it go..then one day i was listening to Well Done and i started to get Bronson for the artist that he is and was finally able to separate the two.

any time previously that i would listen to AB i'd just put on Ghost because i wanted to hear the real thing. Now i hear AB for himself.

Hookers At The Point is probably the most Ghostish he's sounded in recent memory. His actual delivery is more a Nas/Pun/KGR cadence for the most part.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I like this a lot. Agreed with A Kid, hard not to liken him to Ghost when first hearing him but after awhile it's hard to find similarities.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

In terms of cadence, delivery, writing style (not lyrics, technical faggots): he is indistinguishable from Ghostface
i'll be objective here: his voice & flow sound like he's intentionally imitating ghostface. now ghost & nas have their similarities whatever. but if someone told me action bronson was aries spears's new ghostface impression i would believe it.

as for lyrics maybe that's more subjective but it seems to me action bronson says the same type of funny non-sequitors ghost is known for.

i'm not about to tell someone not to listen to dude but to deny the similarities is lolzbody
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

Blockhead wrote:. Sure, it's the easiest thing on the planet to make but it still takes a good ear and you'd be surprised how many people can't even make these kind of beats well.
yeah good ear, good ear.. is what i was thinking while listening. unlike phila i like this more than i thought i would.
illegal mind shoe lace

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

party supplies is like mr green with the loops and recognizable beats.

sounds great on first few listens but tends to get boring after a while.

foobar

Post by foobar »

Hookers at the Point is a fuckin great song. Bronson suprised me this time, I guess I should pay more attention, the dude is ill.

Bring Back The Tempo

Post by Bring Back The Tempo »

This is a pretty good mixtape. I just see myself getting bored of it though.
Quinton of Pharcyde fame is the one who started the "I'm not a rapper" trend.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

This motherfucker referenced Ruud van Nistelrooy on this tape. So random but so fucking ill.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv50blqv ... r_embedded
Action Bronson x Party Supplies - Steve Wynn

lj

Post by lj »

Employee wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv50blqv ... r_embedded
^just watched this like 10 times. dope.

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

lj wrote:
Employee wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv50blqv ... r_embedded
^just watched this like 10 times. dope.
word up. :rockout:
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

http://www.kevinnottingham.com/2012/06/ ... s-stalley/

not that it should surprise anyone, but the party supplies beat pretty much does nothing to the sample....and why focus on bronson/stalley when asking who flipped it better?
Last edited by Hair of the Dog on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crappy Pants

Post by Crappy Pants »

Hair of the Dog wrote:http://www.kevinnottingham.com/2012/06/ ... s-stalley/

not that it should surprise anyone, but the party supplies beat pretty much does nothing to the sample....and why focus on bronson/stalley when asking who flipped it better?
Pimp C >>>