Revisited: The Fugees - The Score

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Tical Swords

Revisited: The Fugees - The Score

Post by Tical Swords »

One of the dopest albums of all time in my opinion. Lyrically Lauren Hill is fucking underrated.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Listen I told you never to make threads again. You just don't listen bork.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

i don't think she is underrated at all.

most people recognize her talent. its even more apparent when rapping beside one of the worst mc's to ever pick up a microphone (Praswell)

anyway, agreed; score is classic.

Tical Swords

Post by Tical Swords »

Yo Phil can you be a little lenient dude? Please.

Balzac have you peeped their first album Blunted on Reality or someshit. I'm peeping some of their shit on youtube and it sounds pretty dope.

Larry2times

Re: Revisited: The Fugees - The Score

Post by Larry2times »

Tical Swords wrote: Lyrically Lauren Hill is fucking underrated.
You've outdone yourself this time.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Tical Swords wrote: Balzac have you peeped their first album Blunted on Reality or someshit. I'm peeping some of their shit on youtube and it sounds pretty dope.
So you're saying The Score is one of your favorite albums of all time but you've never bothered to even casually peruse their other album? Sounds about right.

Do you feel guilt and shame when you listen to other music? Is a vengeful Qwel always watching?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Company Flow (El-P + Bigg Jus + Mr Len Reunited!!! 1st Chicago Performance Ever)
with special guest 4th Pyramid / Qwel & Maker / ADaD
Hosted by Mr Greenweedz
3730 N Clark st / Doors 8pm Show 9pm / 18+

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

:rofl: classic :phila: thread derail
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Blunted on reality is a TERRIBLE album. The only saving grace to come from it were the remixes of "Vocab" and "Nappy heads".
There is , literally, not a single good song on that album.

"The score", while definitely played out , is a strong album. Great beats. Lauryn kills it. The guests are all awesome. Wyclef is listenable. Praz...well...
"be be be be be be be be be booo"
Although, the bob marley cover is so bad, the album , as a whole, should be held accountable for it.
Threads like this make me miss Thun.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

thread is threadin'

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

The Fugees albums just kind of make me wish Lauryn released a straight forward rap album. That is all.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I can't possibly listen to The Score today. It aged terribly IMO and Pras is just cringe worthy. Maybe Cowboys I can still rock. Lauryn Hill is a cunt who wasted her years on some 4th rate Marley cock and failed miserably after her debut.

Tical Swords

Post by Tical Swords »

I actually thought that The Fugees just released one album. I never knew about their other album to be honest. I recently found out about their first album.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I met Qwel once a long time ago. i wasn't familiar with his music (I'm still not), but it was backstage at some show we were both performing at in L.A.
I'm assuming this was before he started dissing aesop cause he was fairly friendly towards me.
Anyway, We were backstage and he literally had minions with him. Like 7 or 8 dudes who didn't speak but just listened to him talk. He started talking about some vaguely religious/spiritual shit backstage and it felt kinda like talking to a crazy person so I removed myself from the situation.
CSB

Also, gloss, I don't think ti's fair to hold what a lunatic Lauryn became against her past work. If we did that, I'd never wanna listen to KRS-one agian..oh wait...Forget my whole point.

Tical Swords

Post by Tical Swords »

Kool Keith is crazy (I think he's been in a mental institution a few time) and he's a genius. Everyone loves Kool Keith.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

the fact keith is crazy makes him enjoyable. if he wasn't crazy he'd make boring music. lauren is the opposite of that analogy. besides keith was crazy from day one so we never have seen another side of him.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tical, I know you keep avoiding the question and you'll respond "What does it matter!?!!?!" but , seriously, where are you from and how old are you?
I'm not baiting you, I'm more just curious.
I'll start: I'm 35 and from New York city. Now you go.

Tical Swords

Post by Tical Swords »

First off you never asked me that question.

I am 17 nearly 18 and my location will stay hidden.
Last edited by Tical Swords on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I asked back when you were Life Vizualiza and you weren't having it. But, hey, it's all good.
18 is a crazy age.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

He is from Down Under.

Tical Swords

Post by Tical Swords »

Nahhhhhhhh 18 is a pretty shitty age. I got no money, no girl, doing shit in school sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it's alll preee shitty atm. But thats aight.

You're wrong there Phila.
Last edited by Tical Swords on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tical Swords wrote:Nahhhhhhhh 18 is a pretty shitty age. I got no money, no girl, doing shit in school sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it's alll preee shitty atm. But thats aight.
http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

Tical Swords

Post by Tical Swords »

'I'm not baiting you, just curious'

Nice.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Tical Swords wrote:Nahhhhhhhh 18 is a pretty shitty age. I got no money, no girl, doing shit in school sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it's alll preee shitty atm. But thats aight.

You're wrong there Phila.
IP address for this post
eburwd9.vic.optusnet.com.au [ 73 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]
Users posting from this IP address
Tical Swords [ 73 Posts ] Search
Life Visualiza [ 14 Posts ] Search
Last edited by Philaflava on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

:rofl:

Versive

Post by Versive »

Tical Swords wrote:Kool Keith is crazy (I think he's been in a mental institution a few time) and he's a genius.
I think that was just a rumor that he started himself.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

The Score is a perfect example of an album that is more than the sum of it's parts.

And as contemporaries, The Score>>>It Was Written
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Blockhead wrote:Blunted on reality is a TERRIBLE album. The only saving grace to come from it were the remixes of "Vocab" and "Nappy heads".
There is , literally, not a single good song on that album.

"The score", while definitely played out , is a strong album. Great beats. Lauryn kills it. The guests are all awesome. Wyclef is listenable. Praz...well...
"be be be be be be be be be booo"
Although, the bob marley cover is so bad, the album , as a whole, should be held accountable for it.
Threads like this make me miss Thun.
agreed. let's not forget (cause I have not FORGIVEN) the Fugees for TRYING to introduce the term "boof-baf" :naswtf: on 'Blunted on Reality'. :nut: GTFOOOOOO with that shizzzz

and i'm sure you could go find Thun, cuddled up to a cassette of Funky Dividends or pondering the aerodynamics of Stezo pants & dance steps

oh yeah, Pacewon and Young Zee also murder the Score and make it way better

big up to Diamond D too

Lauryn Hill was someone I would argue at the time of 'the Score', might be able to stand rhyme for rhyme against the very best MCs in the game, thus making her one. Last September, I was 99.9% sure she was a cokehead.

none of us knew Wyclef was fucking her during the making of this album :killacam:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Philaflava wrote:the fact keith is crazy makes him enjoyable. if he wasn't crazy he'd make boring music. lauren is the opposite of that analogy. besides keith was crazy from day one so we never have seen another side of him.
I know I'm not supposed to take anything in this thread seriously, so I shouldn't bother engaging in an actual discussion about this, but...

I think productivity has a lot to do with Keith >>>>>> Lauryn (and don't get me wrong, Keith is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>). Keith's batting average is pretty mediocre, he's put out a lot of crap, but when he's on the results are awesome. Lauryn has what? 1 shitty Fugees debut, The Score, her first r&bish solo album, and that crazy unplugged "I'm going to act like I can play a guitar even though I'm messing around with like 5 different guitars that have all been drop tuned for me" shit right? Is there anything else? And that was almost a decade ago if memory serves.

If Lauryn went full on Keith and dropped a new album with a different concept or style every month for the next 20 years, I'm sure she'd have a few gems as well.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Blockhead wrote:I met Qwel once a long time ago. i wasn't familiar with his music (I'm still not), but it was backstage at some show we were both performing at in L.A.
I'm assuming this was before he started dissing aesop cause he was fairly friendly towards me.
Anyway, We were backstage and he literally had minions with him. Like 7 or 8 dudes who didn't speak but just listened to him talk. He started talking about some vaguely religious/spiritual shit backstage and it felt kinda like talking to a crazy person so I removed myself from the situation.
CSB

Also, gloss, I don't think ti's fair to hold what a lunatic Lauryn became against her past work. If we did that, I'd never wanna listen to KRS-one agian..oh wait...Forget my whole point.
Qwel dissed Aesop? Not that I know anything about Qwel but yeah.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.