Serengeti - "C.A.R." (Prod. = Jel & Odd Nosdam

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

bignormy

Re: Serengeti - "C.A.R." (Prod. = Jel & Odd Nosdam

Post by bignormy »

Versive wrote:From my interview with him a couple of years ago:
I love that you opted to put out the Grimm Teachaz record [There’s a Situation on the Homefront] on Chopped Herring. That’s the perfect vehicle for an album like this, when you’re saying, “This is an unreleased gem from the 90s,” and this guy who puts out unreleased 90s records says, “Hey, let me put out your record.”

Yeah, it’s perfect. We have another one too, the Grimm Teachaz record that broke the camel’s back, The End Is Near. That’s the follow-up Grimm Teachaz record.

This is the one that laid the group to rest?

You can definitely tell that there are some problems brewing. It’s fun, man. I really enjoy the whole Kenny universe. It’s fun, but also I can get some stuff done for myself, too. I have this whole plan for the next two Kenny records. I might not do another one, but if I do, I know how to finish it all. I’ve got the whole thing all sorted out, from 1979 when Kenny starts rapping under the name DiscoKen — all one word, so it has disco, it has coke in it, and it has Ken in it. He signed this deal, and that’s when he was really on the bennies, from the 70s to the 90s, but then the Teachaz group sort of cleaned him up a bit. Then after that, he’s retired again, because it was tough. He really got into his wife, Jules, and that’s when he did that Dennehy thing, and from there, now we’re at KDIII and he’s back. He drinks the O’Doul’s not because he was an alcoholic; he drinks the Doul’s to curb his bennies addiction. I like that better.

Ah. Any idea what cornish refers to?

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

bignormy wrote: he mentioned something called"Cornish" and hopefully Kenny Dennis 2 comes out eventually.

Kenny 2 is the Kenny Dennis LP. Kenny 1 is the Kenny Dennis EP.

Here's a drawing of Kenny by a dude called Owen Cornish, posted on Geti's FB. Maybe a KDz comic book?

A while back he also mentioned he'd been working with Owen Ashworth again (who produced half of Family & Friends). Dude is crazy prolific.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Versives interview specifically mentioned an unreleased ND2 lp.

He was playing a jueles song at a show last month, said something about it being the last one and I yelled something about kd2 and he said yeah he's got that too. Maybe it can come out as a bonus piece like Derek.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Fair enough. Has anyone pre-ordered Jueles? How's Kaleidoscope?

Versive

Post by Versive »

TheTed wrote:
bignormy wrote: he mentioned something called"Cornish" and hopefully Kenny Dennis 2 comes out eventually.

Kenny 2 is the Kenny Dennis LP. Kenny 1 is the Kenny Dennis EP.
He specifically refuted this. Bignormy's right. There is an unreleased KDII album that, according to him, will probably never come out.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Versive wrote:He specifically refuted this. Bignormy's right. There is an unreleased KDII album that, according to him, will probably never come out.
Yeah I know. It can be his The Day The Clown Cried :lol:

Amazing that with how prolific he is he has entire albums that are unreleased.

wuk

Post by wuk »

it's kind of funny that this is one of the only consistently live threads on the forum
because he is relatively left field, and nobody really talks about geti anywhere else.

i broke down and bought the kaleidoscope tape because i was curious and it wasn't for download anywhere.
it's a straight up pop record, lots of female sung vocals on hooks, with some rap verses sprinkled in for good measure.
there are some tracks up there with his best of all time, and others that are still good but not to my personal taste.

dude is just so completely unique. i get why he isn't everybody's favorite rapper, because he doesn't really try to be that guy. but i don't fully understand why he isn't on more people's radar. even among most of my music nerd friends they all know him, but mostly as the 'dennehy' guy and not for the less character driven stuff.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

The 4 tracks from the Beautyman EP included in the new pressing of Denney on Vinyl are incredible. Keep going back and forth on which is my favorite, but probably Intimidate.

wuk

Post by wuk »

Beauty Man is a good friend of mine and I still haven't heard these songs yet
ryebread mixes. <--------download

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

So Cornish is indeed a graphic novel:

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

I want to read the Labrador

Anybody have a Firebird logo cassette they'd be willing to sell for the right price?

Maybe kd2 could be a bonus with Cornish

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

New video from Jueles. This one actually has Kenny on it (kinda).

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Has anyone pre-ordered Jueles? Did you get any info on the album?

Also, anyone get a copy of the Derek tape?

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I pre-ordered the Jueles record. I think Geti said it would be ready in a few months. I do have the Derek tape, but sadly nothing to play it on right now.

New song with some guy:
https://soundcloud.com/djkrec/synchronicity-feat-serengeti

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Geti just did a big Facebook update.

Kenny Discography
1979 DISCOKEN - 7 inch
grimm teachaz - situation on the homefront
grimm teachaz - tha end iz near
jueles - butterflies
kenny dennis EP
kenny dennis LP
kenny denns LP III
Perfecto - You cant run from the rhythm
Kenny vs Dark Web
Kenny LP II

Butterflies will be available next month.

"Kenny vs Dark Web" is a book (possibly the graphic novel).

He says Kenny LP 2 will be released around the time of the book.

Discoken will be a limited run 7".

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Jueles now up on Bandcamp (vinyl and digital) - http://kennydennis.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Anybody listen to the Jueles record yet? I have mixed feelings about it. It's kind of brilliant, but also not the Kenny Dennis album or ending I wanted.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

I like it; it's not an ending chronologically. KD doesn't need an ending, he should go on being Kenny

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

New project "To The Max"

http://audiorecon.com/album/to-the-max" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I was lucky enough to hear a few tracks off this, I think long time fans of his are going to love this and Geti just rapping over this type of production.

It's posted above but, K-Rec the guy who produced the new record, did a song with Geti a year or so ago:

https://soundcloud.com/djkrec/synchronicity-feat-serengeti

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

This album is the shit, if you're a Geti fan I highly advice copping a physical while they're available.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Album is great. Been a while since Geti has done something like this but it's fantastic he's changing up styles with nearly every release.

His run from 2011 is incredible in both quantity and quality:

Family & Friends
Davis
Kenny Dennis EP
C.A.R.
Saal
C.A.B.
Kenny Dennis LP
Human to Human
Sisyphus
Kenny Dennis III
Time & Materials
Dust
Testarossa
Kaleidoscope
Doctor My Own Patience
Butterflies
To The Max

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I was just thinking while listening to this that's he's climbing way up my all time list, like top 3 or 5 ish. Because like you said that's just since '11 and he's still putting out unreleased older projects to this day. The consistency and lack of artistic compromise throughout his career is pretty damn remarkable. It also doesn't seem like it'll ever slow down, at least not until he can start to profit in a real way off of all of his incredible work.

Check out his appearance on Hanibal Buress and Tony Trimm's podcast. It's a great insight into his artistic process and how he comes up with some of his more left field (Kenny Dennis related) concepts-
https://player.fm/series/hannibal-bures ... ti-episode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

unclebengi wrote:I was just thinking while listening to this that's he's climbing way up my all time list, like top 3 or 5 ish. Because like you said that's just since '11 and he's still putting out unreleased older projects to this day. The consistency and lack of artistic compromise throughout his career is pretty damn remarkable. It also doesn't seem like it'll ever slow down, at least not until he can start to profit in a real way off of all of his incredible work.

Check out his appearance on Hanibal Buress and Tony Trimm's podcast. It's a great insight into his artistic process and how he comes up with some of his more left field (Kenny Dennis related) concepts-
https://player.fm/series/hannibal-bures ... ti-episode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great podcast. He's definitely up in my top 3 now.

In his mailing list he revealed he has another album called Quail due in summer.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Decent article about Geti and a video for Hibachi Chef - http://www.passionweiss.com/2018/02/23/ ... -premiere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Last Dennis?

https://beta.p-e-o-p-l-e.com/recording/winter-clothes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winter Clothes
serengeti
Andrew Broder, Producer and Writer
serengeti, Art and Writer
DENNIS 6E produced by Andrew Broder
http://www.serengetiraps.bigcartel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;