Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Serengeti - "C.A.R." (Prod. = Jel & Odd Nosdam

Post by Employee »

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Song is great, but that video is the absolute shit. Easily my favorite video of the year.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Haven't had a chance to listen to this album yet, you're a huge Geti fan like me Bengi, what do you think of this record?

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I think it's pretty great, still need to listen more, but it's really designed to be listened to all the way through. I have trouble separating the songs in my head because they're all so closely related, but the production is fantastic throughout. It feels more like a Geti album featuring Yoni than the other way around, but between his singing and production I'd imagine their contributions were pretty even. It's pretty far removed from hip hop music, but Geti's been headed that direction for a while.

It definitely follows a story line of traveling musicians from beginning to end, I haven't listened closely enough to unpack all of it yet though.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Totally agree about having to listen to it straight through. Finally got a chance to dig into this and am loving it.

Versive

Post by Versive »

The first verse in that performance was way better than what I expected from anything on this project. Gonna have to check this album out

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Three new projects coming (likely this year):

New album Kaleidoscope
Saal 2 album
Something from the Grimm Teachaz (I would guess an EP only)

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Really looking forward to the new SAAL record, he said that will drop before the year ends. New solo record is just a bonus. 5-6 years ago he seemed pretty down about making music, glad to see he's had so much output over the past 2 years. Occasionally he'll post stuff on his soundcloud page, this popped up a few months back.

Renee Too AAC
https://soundcloud.com/davidserengeti/renee-too-aac

Versive

Post by Versive »

Ended up really digging this year's Yoni & Geti album. Shit's so catchy. Makes me think I need to revisit a whole section of his catalog I'd previously left alone for the most part.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Lore - first single off Kaleidoscope (and yes, it's related to The Lore from Testarossa)

https://soundcloud.com/user1157785/serengetilore

Ninja III off the Dust 10"

Kaleidoscope releases Nov 15 (the label claims it's cassette exclusive)
SAAL 2 is out sometime in December

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

He's playing London, UK on Nov 21st.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

http://www.avclub.com/article/serengeti ... iet-245944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woot woot

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

This track is amazing. Can't wait for the whole album.

There's a music video for this currently playing at the Milwaukee Music Video festival so expect that soon - https://mkefilm.org/the-milwaukee-music ... -patience/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

5 new projects in 2017

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Unexpectedly got the Doctor My Own Patience vinyl in the mail today a couple days before the album drops. Really dope album and really different from Saal, much more uptempo in comparison. Plays like Geti as a lounge singer in a David Lynch/Harmony Korinish flick singing songs based on acid flashbacks to a handful of disinterested junkies.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Last edited by TheTed on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

wuk

Post by wuk »

oh jesus christ the girl in the boy video is my ex
ryebread mixes. <--------download

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Re-release and some other new stuff: https://fakefour.bandcamp.com/album/den ... autyman-ep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Saw this! Part of me didn't believe he actually had a Derek album in the can when I talked to him but I guess he wasn't lying. Wish I could cop the tape separately since I already have Dennehy on cassette. This looks to be a longer version though ... hmmmm

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Yeah, extended cause Side D features an unreleased EP with Beauty Man that was made in 2009.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

New EP out, you can cop limited vinyl for 10 bucks-

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/c ... leidoscope" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Because of the Vinyl release, I finally got a chance to listen to those 4 Kaleidoscope tracks. Wasn't expecting Geti to make a super polished throwback pop album, but he did, and it's kind of great. I remember a few years back he talked about leaving music behind, but his output of the past 3-4 years is just amazing.

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

David as Kenny Dennis

Jade as Jueles

Nedelle as Stace

Produced by Rob

“David Cohn has earned a reputation as a storyteller who can dredge up some pinpoint details and harrowing emotion…” - Pitchfork

We all know Kenny Dennis, he’s been with us for years. We met him at a Sox game, felt his pain as he told us of his early days rapping with The Grimm Teachaz, how he could have been a contender, if not for that run in with Shaq. We rooted for his big comeback with Ders - Perfecto, while eating some brats and sipping O’Douls. Bet big, Win big.

And of course, we felt the tug on our heartstrings every time he told us how he loves his wife. The ever-present, yet mysterious Jueles. The one he’d do anything for.

Little did we know while Kenny was busy planning his comeback - Jueles was making some plans of her own.

Butterflies is Jueles’ debut album, their story through her eyes, though her songs. Her big dreams and musical aspirations, her infatuation with Tom Sellec, and their meeting that tips off a series of fateful events. Opening our eyes to a whole new story – and the secret we’ve been missing all these years.

We may just find we don’t know Kenny as well as we think.

You can pre order the album at serengetiraps.bigcartel.com

The double lp comes with an instant download of the Kaleidoscope: a full length album produced by Rob Kleiner ft Skyler Stonestreet, Amy Stroup, Owlle and Ali Young

Limited eta September

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

This is...an interesting direction. I do wonder how interesting I would find it if Geti wasn't involved though.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Bummed if this means we won't be getting the DisCOKEn album

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

TheTed wrote:This is...an interesting direction. I do wonder how interesting I would find it if Geti wasn't involved though.
According to him, Kenny is on the Jueles album.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

What's discoken?

These preorders seem to be a Kickstarter type fundraiser to get them pressed. I'm in.

He keeps saying this and Grimm teachaz da end is near ep are the last kdz. Although he mentioned something called"Cornish" and hopefully Kenny Dennis 2 comes out eventually.

Versive

Post by Versive »

From my interview with him a couple of years ago:
I love that you opted to put out the Grimm Teachaz record [There’s a Situation on the Homefront] on Chopped Herring. That’s the perfect vehicle for an album like this, when you’re saying, “This is an unreleased gem from the 90s,” and this guy who puts out unreleased 90s records says, “Hey, let me put out your record.”

Yeah, it’s perfect. We have another one too, the Grimm Teachaz record that broke the camel’s back, The End Is Near. That’s the follow-up Grimm Teachaz record.

This is the one that laid the group to rest?

You can definitely tell that there are some problems brewing. It’s fun, man. I really enjoy the whole Kenny universe. It’s fun, but also I can get some stuff done for myself, too. I have this whole plan for the next two Kenny records. I might not do another one, but if I do, I know how to finish it all. I’ve got the whole thing all sorted out, from 1979 when Kenny starts rapping under the name DiscoKen — all one word, so it has disco, it has coke in it, and it has Ken in it. He signed this deal, and that’s when he was really on the bennies, from the 70s to the 90s, but then the Teachaz group sort of cleaned him up a bit. Then after that, he’s retired again, because it was tough. He really got into his wife, Jules, and that’s when he did that Dennehy thing, and from there, now we’re at KDIII and he’s back. He drinks the O’Doul’s not because he was an alcoholic; he drinks the Doul’s to curb his bennies addiction. I like that better.