Troy Ave (NY coke rap)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Re: Troy Ave (NY coke rap)

Post by stype_ones »

Vado>Troy Ave in terms of younger NYC dudes.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

FYI, since Troy hasn't really released anything full length with significant replay value since Bricks in my backpack 3, i've been defaulting to Sha Hef for my derivative but pleasant 50-ish NY-centric coke/gansta rap needs. Mafioso Psalms specifically.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

^U didn't like NYC album?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

There was nothing particularly wrong with it but there was nothing particularly great about it either, just average stuff without much replay value. Played it like twice, didn't hate it, didn't love it, didn't return to it.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:FYI, since Troy hasn't really released anything full length with significant replay value since Bricks in my backpack 3, i've been defaulting to Sha Hef for my derivative but pleasant 50-ish NY-centric coke/gansta rap needs. Mafioso Psalms specifically.
post the Sha Hef shit you're feelin...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:FYI, since Troy hasn't really released anything full length with significant replay value since Bricks in my backpack 3, i've been defaulting to Sha Hef for my derivative but pleasant 50-ish NY-centric coke/gansta rap needs. Mafioso Psalms specifically.
LOL @ you falling back because all of your more popular friends with greater influence have decided it's time to gangbang his career into oblivion.

You've got to be one of the saddest industry tools ever, brah. I am ashamed I once shared a blogging mantle with you, you worthless sack of shit.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I missed you too buddy, how you been?

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

That new Troy Average track is the jam of the summer... DOPE
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Troy the only one who got puff and mase back on the same song in mad long and not even drake could do that!

Troy = king of NY by default, take dattt take dat

Blattttt

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-mome ... re.245389/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ego Eimis wrote:So im walking back from the Deli at like 10PM. Im in Queens right off the Brooklyn border.
I hear a car bumping Troy Ave super loud. Im like what the fukk Image
Cause I have never heard anybody bump Troy Ave anywhere. Not in his own hood Crown Heights, not anywhere in Brooklyn, much less Queens. I turn around and its a all black matte Jeep sumn like this:

I put two and two together and...

ImageImageImage

He said in an interview he moved to Queens so I peer to try to get a closer look. The jeep then came to the stopsign with another car adjacent at the same time. The cars headlights shone through the jeep. Its dark so all i see is a silhouette of a flattop Image
Gotta be that nikka, cause who else would be bumping that goofy ass music like they proud of it Image

Canadadry wrote:Troy Ave looks like an extra from Lean on me
Something about his face seems like he'd be singing Fair Eastside in the boy's restroom with Sams and them.
He definitely got that throwback east coast face.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

gotta love their emoticon game

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

luv this shit

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

All About The Money is gonna blow up big time.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

This is the worst Troy Ave song I've heard. Sounds like mase at his worst.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Major Without a Deal, the new album from Brooklyn rapper Troy Ave, was released last week, and its perceived lack of sales has caused something of a social media uproar. On Thursday (June 11), "Troy Ave" began trending worldwide on Twitter, thanks to reports that the rapper's latest LP sold less than 5,000 copies in its debut sales week, including 30 physical CDs, despite including guest features from Rick Ross, Jeezy, Ty Dolla $ign and A$AP Ferg, among others.

Troy Ave (real name: Roland Collins) tweeted on Tuesday (June 9) that hard copies of Major Without a Deal had been "selling the f-- out in Best Buy." That claim, coupled with reports of poor physical sales, resulted in the creation of various Twitter memes and other forms of social media mockery.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... xplanation
Major Without a Deal, the new album from Brooklyn rapper Troy Ave, was released last week, and its perceived lack of sales has caused something of a social media uproar. On Thursday (June 11), "Troy Ave" began trending worldwide on Twitter, thanks to reports that the rapper's latest LP sold less than 5,000 copies in its debut sales week, including 30 physical CDs, despite including guest features from Rick Ross, Jeezy, Ty Dolla $ign and A$AP Ferg, among others.

Troy Ave (real name: Roland Collins) tweeted on Tuesday (June 9) that hard copies of Major Without a Deal had been "selling the f-- out in Best Buy." That claim, coupled with reports of poor physical sales, resulted in the creation of various Twitter memes and other forms of social media mockery.
I like Troy Ave, but he deserves this for releasing the atrocity that is "doo doo".

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I was a fan, but really haven't enjoyed anything since the Bricks In My Backpack mixtapes. I just don't feel like he really makes music anymore.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

What the Failure of Troy Ave Tells Us About The Industry of Hip Hop
Troy Ave’s response to the sales criticism was to provide unverifiable data, claiming he pocketed 95% of the album’s profits, adding 30 thousand singles sold and proclaiming his final haul somewhere around $120 thousand. But as Pitchfork contributor Craig Jenkins noticed, that would mean—in a best case scenario—it would be highly unlikely any collaborator got paid. It’s also worth noting that Troy Ave signed to BMI Music, which handles artists’ licensing fees and royalties, in April of last year, and he arranged a distribution deal for MWAD with EMPIRE distribution, so the idea that Ave is collecting all of his profits is, at best, inaccurate. In any case, Ave’s response isn’t an effective counter response to public response, which seems to overwhelmingly indicate Troy Ave isn’t what he was sold as and people know it.
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/800-what- ... f-hip-hop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:copy:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Jayou Ayen wrote:http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-mome ... re.245389/
Ego Eimis wrote:So im walking back from the Deli at like 10PM. Im in Queens right off the Brooklyn border.
I hear a car bumping Troy Ave super loud. Im like what the fukk
Cause I have never heard anybody bump Troy Ave anywhere. Not in his own hood Crown Heights, not anywhere in Brooklyn, much less Queens. I turn around and its a all black matte Jeep sumn like this:

I put two and two together and...

He said in an interview he moved to Queens so I peer to try to get a closer look. The jeep then came to the stopsign with another car adjacent at the same time. The cars headlights shone through the jeep. Its dark so all i see is a silhouette of a flattop
Gotta be that nikka, cause who else would be bumping that goofy ass music like they proud of it

Post of the Week :copy: (but the fact I couldn't quote the :bow: emoticons is a DAMN SHAME) :nut: WE NEED THOSE

i digress:
He sold 40 physical copies! Troy Ave is the new Canibus and worse. At least Can-i-bus trickled to gold after a few years, and had songs like "Buckingham Palace" and "Hypenitis" on it.

I hope this would make NYC rappers realize that if they don't come up with their OWN fucking sound and OWN fucking style, then they DO NOT DESERVE TO SELL A GOD DAMN UNIT. (No GGGGGGGG)

Why would anyone buy a second-rate 50 Cent clone when nobody wants to buy THE ORIGINAL 50 CENT anymore??? :killacam:

rap fuckers are so stupid and never learn from history. I hope Troy Ave. is not homeless and starving, but I also laugh at his failure.

Not a single original moment ever manifested from his essence. Even the fucking plain ass album cover is a wannabe version of Jay-Z's Vol. 2 album cover :roper: LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

New York will not make a cultural rap music comeback with this kind of :shittylikesometp:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

You have heard like what, one Troy Ave song, right?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/60552 ... erview.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. When asked if the jokes about his album sales bothered him, Ave said, "I'm self-made and self-paid."
Ave also said, "If I'm getting 95 percent of my bread, I made 120 bangs," meaning $120K. He added, "If I sell 100,000 records, I make more money than someone who went platinum."

2. Charlamagne asked the rapper what he's done to restore New York City. "I save a whole generation of people from being drug addicts and turning up and wearing tight pants and feeling like they can't have hometown pride, that's what I did," he said. "I look and I sound like New York."

3. Ave confirmed that he said Kendrick Lamar is a weirdo, but he never called him wack.

4. The rapper said that he and 50 Cent made peace during a Chris Brown concert at the Barclays Center.

5. "The Breakfast Club" hosts asked Ave about "Dope Man" rapper Manolo Rose's June 16 tweet, "I thought @TroyAve had bricks or just this one time he had 20$ and 50 when the hate dont work they telling lies I smell #dodo #concreterose." Ave said that the next time he sees Rose, he's going to slap him or give him a wedgie. He added that he used to sell Rose and his crew cocaine.

6. While he is content being an indie recording artist, Ave wants to sign with a major label, but through a joint venture. That way, he will be "getting more money."

jon0h

Post by jon0h »

tbh i was reluctant at giving Troy Ave a listen b/c of all the bad reviews but after giving him a go. pause. i must admit he might be my fave out of his class, and the current wave of artists for that matter.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The torture is over. Took me almost a year to ID that sample. Knew I heard it before, though.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

jon0h wrote:tbh i was reluctant at giving Troy Ave a listen b/c of all the bad reviews but after giving him a go. pause. i must admit he might be my fave out of his class, and the current wave of artists for that matter.
For whatever reason Troy gets a lot of bad press in the media. There's really nothing offensive about his music tho. No, he's not going to "save" NYC rap, but he's made some great songs this decade. That's a lot more than a lot of other NYC rappers have done lately....