Pete Rock Loses Mind on Lupe

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

B. Ware tha Siniq

Pete Rock Loses Mind on Lupe

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Sorry I don't know how to embed tweets. I didn't even know Lupe jacked TROY, that's some fucked up shit.

TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
I think lupe is a great artist, I'm that angry with him but it's a major label idea. I can feel it.

29m Akhil Munagala ‏@mocha_latte12
@PeteRock needs to chill the fuck out. Lupe killed TROY

28m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
@mocha_latte12 STFU!!!!!!

I'm still Dat nigga out here believe it or don't. Ur ignorance not mine, lame duck bullshit.

29m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
That record is dear to me yo fuck deez niggas!!!!

30m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
I'm not flattered @ all. Dat shit is wack, and the producer should be ashamed of his fuckin self. Smh

32m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
U guys have been violated with no Vaseline. So fucked up this business smmfh!!! And I don't care who got something to say about it, kiss my

33m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
So untalented and unoriginal. Makes me feel like I'm truly the best that ever did it. Yo hev and t-Roy I love and miss da shit outta y'all

37m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
This business can be so lame, sometimes I make beats blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back and still these cats can't be original to

Who ever Re-created that didn't do a good job @ all. #nohate

41m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
Man I'm a lupe fan and everything but TROY was my homie man. I think about him and Hev every fucking day!!!! Smh

43m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
It's so hard for folks to make original music, I possess that, but these dudes are scared of that and this is supposed to be HIP HOP?

44m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
Outta anguish and pain. When it's like that it should not be touched by no one!

45m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made
Last edited by B. Ware tha Siniq on Mon May 21, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

I agree with him
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Magneto wrote:I agree with him
I do too. There's just some shit that shouldn't be remade. TROY definitely falls in that category.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

What if he said this about the Blog? :lol:

and fuck a lupe with no lube. (pronounced, you know, like, loob-aye)

Req

Post by Req »

scust@ this dude invoking Hev and Troy's name over this shit. He's not mad someone rapped over it. He's mad no-one gave him a check for it.

Only thing funnier would be if Lupe was signed to Bad Boy.
F.U. MOOLAH

CHER1

Post by CHER1 »

Link please.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Didn't Pete and CL both remake it with Journalist in the early 2000's?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T6iSTpqKH04?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T6iSTpqKH04?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Still. I'm with Pete. They shouldn't touch it without his permission.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Lupe probably just heard Troy for the first time

Req

Post by Req »

stumbled across this and need a late pass:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... ts-the-joy

no wonder the sample sounded so horribly outta place to the point it ruined the record.
F.U. MOOLAH

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

is this it?
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9bSAx ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9bSAx ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
illegal mind shoe lace

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

didn't some on die in the making of troy if not lupe should ha!

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Philaflava wrote:Lupe probably just heard Troy for the first time
Yeah iirc, he was too busy breaking up knife fights and bumping Spice 1 tapes on the way to Black Israelite meetings back then to listen to the "bitch ass n-bomb" jawnz.
Last edited by Larry2times on Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

Req wrote:stumbled across this and need a late pass:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... ts-the-joy

no wonder the sample sounded so horribly outta place to the point it ruined the record.
yea man this was a while ago, theres actually a interview with sly himself addressing this and talks his relation with kanye and what not.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

This is what he's talking about

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_aOjcm0zYUs?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_aOjcm0zYUs?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

^^ oh, okay that makes much more sense.. yeah i can see that pissing someone off.. its just the song troy in particular.. not to be taken over like that..
illegal mind shoe lace

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

lol at Guru going on to complain about Lupe using the same sample Solar had used for one of his bangers, ten years after he said

"rap is an art you cant own no loops, its how you hook em up and the rhyme style, troop".

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
I do too. There's just some shit that shouldn't be remade. TROY definitely falls in that category.
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
I will never voluntarily listen to that song of Lupe's, on sheer principle.

Fuck, that should just be KNOWN by anyone with a functioning b-boy brain.

YOU DON'T SAMPLE T.R.O.Y. UNLESS YOUR NAME IS CL FUCKING SMOOTH OR PETE ROCK OR YOU ARE HEAVY D OR TROUBLE T-ROY RESURRECTED:jaz:

sooo happy that Pete said everything necessary. fools MUST get checked in 2012.

RAP IS FUCKING OUT OF CONTROL
:bunk:

sampling 'T.R.O.Y'. :wtf: :clay: :fail:

why don't you just remake 'Fight the Power' and steal the original beat without Chuck D's permission... it's not like the song means anything to anyone :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

I get what Pete Rock is saying. T.R.O.Y. is one of my favourite joints and I don't wanna see anybody else sample it or remake it.
But for discussion's sake, how is this different from any producer sampling any other soul/funk/rock/whatever song that's considered a classic and flipping it? What makes this particular song off-limits? It's not like Lupe copied the theme from the original. He's talking his own shit and just using the beat.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

I think cause it's a direct bite from how P.R. flipped it, just with weaker drums.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Not sure if anyone's familiar with how TROY was made but if you heard the story, you'd really see why Pete Rock is pissed. Not only is it a classic song but its a beat that Pete made when he was a pretty down point in his life. I forgot the whole story butm a few years back, he was on XM for the Dilla tribute with Ma Dukes and Talib Kweli. And somehow, the topic of how he made TROY came up and he explained it. Pretty deep story, IMO.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

ardamus wrote:Not sure if anyone's familiar with how TROY was made but if you heard the story, you'd really see why Pete Rock is pissed. Not only is it a classic song but its a beat that Pete made when he was a pretty down point in his life. I forgot the whole story butm a few years back, he was on XM for the Dilla tribute with Ma Dukes and Talib Kweli. And somehow, the topic of how he made TROY came up and he explained it. Pretty deep story, IMO.
didnt large pro show him that loop?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

mike eagle wrote:
ardamus wrote:Not sure if anyone's familiar with how TROY was made but if you heard the story, you'd really see why Pete Rock is pissed. Not only is it a classic song but its a beat that Pete made when he was a pretty down point in his life. I forgot the whole story butm a few years back, he was on XM for the Dilla tribute with Ma Dukes and Talib Kweli. And somehow, the topic of how he made TROY came up and he explained it. Pretty deep story, IMO.
can't remember who showed him the loop. it might've been Pro. i do know that at the time, i think either someone died in his fam or he was really down about in his life. i need to see if i can find that show because it explained a whole lot.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

ardamus wrote:
mike eagle wrote:
can't remember who showed him the loop. it might've been Pro. i do know that at the time, i think either someone died in his fam or he was really down about in his life. i need to see if i can find that show because it explained a whole lot.

In the Deep Crates documentary, Pete said he pulled out the Tom Scott joint when he was at the record store with LP. He told him he had already used it for the "It's A Boy" remix for Slick Rick and that Black Sheep had used it as well.

Explained more in depth here:

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/06/in ... e-over-you

Employer

Post by Employer »

Kiran187 wrote:how is this different from any producer sampling any other soul/funk/rock/whatever song that's considered a classic and flipping it?
It's not, really.

Wasn't there video a few years back of Pete Rock going off at a show while dropping T.R.O.Y. repeatedly, about how that horn loop is what people remember of the song, not C.L. smooth, and he needs to be given more respect or whatever the fuck?

Unless I'm totally inventing that clip in my mind, this is not the first T.R.O.Y. related tear Pete's gone on in public. Musicians make music from a place of strong emotion pretty regularly... I'm sure tons of soul musicians have watched music they felt strongly about get removed from it's context and turned into different songs via sampling.

I don't think there's anything that should be considered automatically 'off limits' as far as sampling and flipping shit, really... the same way comedians should be able to joke about anything, hypothetically.

That said, Lupe wasn't up to the task and didn't do anything too cool with this, and probably deserves some of the shit he's being given for it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

you all do realize petes tone would have changed if it was somebody like raekwon who did this, right? could have had the same execution too.

elohim

Post by elohim »

Really don't care about any of this, more surprised folk don't remember the OG was about Trouble T Roy.

:kanye: Lupe doesn't care about ATCQ :kanye:

Versive

Post by Versive »

CRASH DDZ wrote:What if he said this about the Blog? :lol:
I'd be this guy. :jaz:

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

twitter makes my heros sound so lame sometimes. even though im with pete rock here although pitting pete rock vs lupe is like pitting one of my favorite people in the world i don't know vs a faggot i never want to know except for the existence of "gold watch"
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Brokewax wrote:
ardamus wrote:
mike eagle wrote:

In the Deep Crates documentary, Pete said he pulled out the Tom Scott joint when he was at the record store with LP. He told him he had already used it for the "It's A Boy" remix for Slick Rick and that Black Sheep had used it as well.

Explained more in depth here:

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/06/in ... e-over-you
Yep. That's exactly what it was. Thanks for posting this.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Pete's my dude, but fuck outta here. I wonder if Tom Scott feels as strongly. Or if any of the artist he's sampled feel that same way about what he did with there stuff.

Like Req said, he's just mad he didn't get a check. Cause he certainly didn't care that his "deep emotional song" was getting used on a fuckin' video game that had shit do to with deep or emotional.