Canibus vs. Dizaster discussion

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

step one

Post by step one »

Top threads in this forum in the last week have been this and Nas vs Jay Z.

Up next: is the South the next region to blow up?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Alias@anticon.com wrote:oh, ok. I just assumed he got lost on the way to Freaknik and ended up at this battle.
that's actually a better line. I have to ask, did you have the freaknik line written down or was it improvised?

Alias@anticon.com

Post by Alias@anticon.com »

off the dome, onto a notebook, then into my Shai Trapper Keeper.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

mike eagle wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
mike eagle wrote:
mike eagle wrote: some of that was freestyle

problem is, the quality level goes way down real fast if you're freestyling out of desperation. it basically opens the door to choking. its damn near impossible to end a round as strongly with a freestyle. especially for a dude battling in that style for the first time that only prepared three weeks
sometimes, this is true, sometimes not.

occasionally, one of these battle rapper's freestyle rebuttals will be 2 or 4 bars of absolute dynamite, that is more of a hard hitting line than some written set-up.

like Dizaster couldn't have known Canibus was going to wear an arm sling. So when he freestyled "you hit yourself in the chest so hard, your shoulders touched" and everyone was like :ohsh: , it was better than some other great lines he spit, like the one about Wyclef.

if you have prepared your battle mind, your vocabulary and your powers of observation enough, you can come up with a spontaneous rebuttal that's as strong as some of your writtens, and never have a moment of silence in your verse, whether you are freestyling or spitting writtens. but it takes ELEVATED SKILL.

you can see Dizaster at the end, choosing how he wanted to FINISH HIM.

and you can almost see his mind processing the infinite possibilities of the moment, like "what can I say about this vs. what did I plan to say about it? hmmmm... let's go with: I PUT CANIBUS IN A BOX AND LL COOL J IS A FAGGOT, just cause it's completely fun and games now" :rofl:
it takes preparing for more than three weeks for your first go round to pull that off. thats my entire point
agreed. but both of those guys are not rap rookies.

Is it safe to assume Canibus has done, and won, a face to face battle, ever before? I hope it is.
so he should have known better.

I agree with you that cats should have lots of rap weapons in store for the moment though. like bars upon bars upon bars. you really shouldn't enter one of those battles without 15-20 minutes of rehearsed verses, or at least FOUR rounds of raps for whatever time limit you have arranged... and then some freestyle-like extra shit in your head, just in case.

I've been Canibus, I've been in that exact position. And I never prepared for ANY show more than I prepared for that battle. Which is why I didn't choke :rofl:

Canibus is the ultimate human meme generator now, but it's starting with "daaamn homie. in high school, you was the maaan, homie. the fuck happened to you?!" :copy:
would you serve canibus in a battle?
the Canibus that showed up that day?

:killacam:

I humbly suggest that I could have, and maybe even would have, won. Watch my KOTD battle and see what I did vs. Canibus's KOTD battle and see what he did... and I genuinely think I would have won. But I mean, Bis basically choked in round one AND round two, which is a never forgive action in that arena.

YOU could have beat him too, and I don't even know you as a battle rapper, mike eagle.

Canibus smoked himself, is basically what I'm saying.

and as much as I love the dude, knew that he's a legend and was the best MC on the planet at one point in time... seeing his mindstate, his awareness of where modern hip hop is (battle rap and regular music), seeing his lyrical laws on paper, and seeing the simplicity he came with that night... it's pretty well confirmed that Canibus is not as much an "animal with a mechanical mandible comin to damage you spittin understandable slang at you" cause he's not exactly "the all seeing lyrical hammerhead sharp peripheral with 360 degree visual" like I knew him to be in 1997.

I love Canibus and still think he's a hip hop legend, without question. :ironmike:

But that might have been Mike Tyson's last fight right there. :owens:

pulling out a notebook = biting another man's ear :thebest:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Alias@anticon.com wrote:off the dome, onto a notebook, then into my Shai Trapper Keeper.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hooray: :liljon:

"it's a 90's thing, you wouldn't understand."

:cheers: :lol:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I love Canibus and still think he's a hip hop legend, without question. :ironmike:
1 big single, a couple of notable guest verses and some decent mixtape freestyles do not make you a legend by any stretch of the imagination.

By that definition Joe Budden, Lloyd Banks and Paula Perry also qualify for legendary status.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

minimalism is the new revisionism?

oh ok

:blank: :arrow:

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I love Canibus and still think he's a hip hop legend, without question. :ironmike:
He's only getting propped up as a "legend" so that people who give a crap about this scene can gloat about how they're better at this particular thing than somebody who people had heard of when they were kids and who is almost tangentially related to this scene as long as you don't think about it too much.

He was paid to lose. That was the whole point. It's only noteworthy because -- as we all already knew -- he is deranged and crazy enough to actually care and not just take the paycheck.

It's like gloating that you godbodied a 55 year old Vernon Maxwell in Slamball.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote:Image
:rofl:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

purposefully avoiding watching the video or even reading any description of what happened, just looking at the memes without any context is making me lol my ass off.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

drizzle wrote:purposefully avoiding watching the video or even reading any description of what happened, just looking at the memes without any context is making me lol my ass off.
after watching the video i fully support this choice

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Lest we never forget that Canibus pioneered the Jersey Shore guido look in rap a good 2 years before Jim Jones and Max B :

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

couldn't watch more than 40-50 seconds of the video. did go read some message board threads on rapmusic about it
why do all the battle fans seem to be concerned first & foremost about "professionalism", how people rep the brand, what & what is not a "good look", squeaky clean image, etc. above everything else?? do the fans want/think kotd is going to be the next x-games? are they concerned about how much money the organizers are making?? do they only want predictable back/forth battles without any sort of real conflict? do they think rap is a sport or starcraft?? why do they like rap & are not on drugs / alcohol?

Versive

Post by Versive »

ackbar wrote:why do all the battle fans seem to be concerned first & foremost about "professionalism", how people rep the brand, what & what is not a "good look", squeaky clean image, etc. above everything else?? do the fans want/think kotd is going to be the next x-games? are they concerned about how much money the organizers are making?? do they only want predictable back/forth battles without any sort of real conflict? do they think rap is a sport or starcraft?? why do they like rap & are not on drugs / alcohol?
1) They want to get that money yo. Rap is a business and in business, brand identity is everything.
2 ) Word, but with more street cred.
3) Yes, see #1.
4) Real conflict sounds kinda gay yo. Fuck that shit.
5) Some combination of the two plus jokes.
6) See all of the above. They are, just not enough.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Also, I see a lawsuit for breach-of-contract on the horizon.

Also, billy woods says, "don't make sense like two niggas standing round cracking jokes and wanna call it a battle."

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Versive wrote:Also, I see a lawsuit for breach-of-contract on the horizon.
How? Why?

He showed up. He did it. He sucked. You can't write "we're not going to pay you if you're bad at this" into a contract.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PopeyeJones wrote:
How? Why?

He showed up. He did it. He sucked. You can't write "we're not going to pay you if you're bad at this" into a contract.
Although no one in this situation has the resources to and no lawyer would ever file a brief in Organik v. Canibus, that kind of shit is written into contracts all the time.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Correct me if I'm wrong:

This was an online rap pay-per-view that cost $30 to order?

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i don't understand any outrage tho. if the battle had been really great it would be unlikely to garner much new attention outside of existing circles. this trainwreck surely got more press than if the opposite happened & all Tge sponsor / ppv / ticket money is already made right

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

admiral wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong:

Toronto MC Theology 3 wrote this:
67000 pay per view buys at 30 dollars a piece, almost 3000 people at 70 a piece at the door. CAKE.
:ohsh:

gwop

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

lol @ $70 ticket charge

admiral

Post by admiral »

67000 pay per view buys at 30 dollars a piece, almost 3000 people at 70 a piece at the door. CAKE.

gwop
67,000 x $30 = $2,010,000
3,000 x $70 = $210,000

This battle generated $2.22 million???

This has got to be a joke...

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

There aren't 6,700 weirdos who would order this

Req

Post by Req »

gwop
this is bullshit, like when the dudes from SARS tried to front like they'd sold over 50k copies of their mixtape. Of course Theology 3 ate it up, dude is the epitome of gullible.
F.U. MOOLAH

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Was it available internationally?!
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

Versive

Post by Versive »

PopeyeJones wrote:
How? Why?

How? Unsuccesssfully.

Why? Because although "any press is good press," the fact that the Wrestlemania-style mega-event they promoted for half a year ended so awkwardly is not a good look. See Organik's face.

Assuming they maintain the same degree of professionalism all across the board, from video production to contract drafting, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that their contracts define verses somewhere along the lines of "recited from memory and/or improvised, not read aloud." Actually I'd be kind of surprised, but not shocked.

It probably won't happen. It just seems like something that isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Last edited by Versive on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: Toronto MC Theology 3 wrote this:

these numbers are EXTREMELY wrong. trust.