Waka Flocka: "Rick Ross is watering down my sound"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Magneto

Waka Flocka: "Rick Ross is watering down my sound"

Post by Magneto »

Kanye is known for keeping his finger on the pulse of the moment to create something greater. After ג€œH.A.M.ג€ he moved onג€”there were no other flourishes of Waka-ness on The Throne album. But Rick Ross delved deeper into the sound, co-opting it as his own. ג€œThatג€™s crazy,ג€ says Waka. ג€œBut what you gonna say? This nigga out here making 30 fucking songs with your sound. He watering it down, just putting words together that sounded good. Shit would be harder if it was the truth.ג€ If you think Waka might be supremely pissed about the imitators, youג€™re right. He is. ג€œThat shit made me tight,ג€ he says. ג€œNiggas built labels off our soundג€”like, literally. You know how many niggas sound like Lex Luger and Southside? I go in niggasג€™ studios, all their beats sound like my producers. I be like, What the fuck?ג€ But above all he tries to maintain perspective: ג€œYou canג€™t be mad at something you canג€™t control.
http://youheardthatnew.com/2012/06/waka ... g-it-down/
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

tyga too?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

tyga2 just putting words together that sound good
moved by duck muscles

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

awesome. do whatever you want, Waka. everything's fair in love and war.

truth is wonderful and justice is awesome.

:bunk: @ Officer Ricky jacking for his beats, rhymes and life.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

although it makes me audibly chuckle when i hear rick ross say "i can tell you bout the bodies i can tell you bout the killin" godamn he just makes really good rap music. fml
Nets 2022

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

new waka album is pure trash......

flockaveli was entertaining but this......

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

hellriser wrote:new waka album is pure trash......

flockaveli was entertaining but this......
BANNED.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Reason wrote:although it makes me audibly chuckle when i hear rick ross say "i can tell you bout the bodies i can tell you bout the killin" godamn he just makes really good rap music. fml
but he just rehashed old formulas over and over and over.

i've heard a lot of gangsta rap in my life. and i don't listen to ALL of Rick Ross's shit, but i hear my fair share, just cause it gets played.

and there's just no new ideas in it.

it just feels like the standards are so LOW when i hear his music.

hot ass beats... with like, a generic Guerilla Black-like gangsta cliche rapper that has a cartoony gruff voice.

:naswtf:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DLG

Post by DLG »

is Lex Lugor's sound that original though? Always thought his beats sounded like bargain bin Shawty Redd beats.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

young god

Post by young god »

DLG wrote:is Lex Lugor's sound that original though? Always thought his beats sounded like bargain bin Shawty Redd beats.
THIS. Been saying the same thing for a long time. Although I enjoy Luger's beats, they are not HIS sound, and he definitely jacked shawty redd. Why don't more people talk about this? People are actually giving credit to Lex like he pioneered something. Did people really forget about Jeezy's albums already?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

but its okay, cause when Rick Ross's new album comes out and does meh numbers, people will be like "this dude isn't even the LeBron James of rap, cause at least LeBron was a high school superlegend for a while. Rick Ross has NEVER TRULY been anywhere NEAR G.O.A.T. status as a rapper"

and this album will either prove it or move him to a higher level.

so far, he flopped his first single, the 'Touch N' You' with Usher. song is not noteworthy in any way.
we got time for one or two more singles before the July release date of 'God Forgives, I Don't'.

and what does Rozay have in the stash? a song with Dr. Dre (who is pissing off everyone so much with his 'Detox' delay, that Dre beats aren't even guaranteed to get tons of play, as seen by good songs with T.I. and Kendrick Lamar)

and Wale, Gunplay, Stalley, Meek... really? will they blow up the album? no. obviously he's got no Waka Flocka guest spot, and he just got dissed by a dude who said some real shit that he can't really respond to. Ross DID jack Waka's sound. Even if he's got Nas on the album, it don't matter. He has Nas on 'Rich Forever', and that thing didn't do much since January. Obviously Ross will have a guest spot from Drake, but they've been there and done that already. Same with a Weezy verse. And a Nicki Minaj guest spot? Ha.

I'll stop shitting on Rick Ross and stop calling him the Vanilla Ice of gangsta rap, if he can actually make something REALLY CLASSIC with this new album. But I am skeptical.

he's gonna have to have another heart attack :owens: right before the album sells, or come up with some other Criminal Publicity Stunt to boost sales. But it's still not even doing 150,000 in its first week, just like the last one. all this blunt smoke and Maybach mirrors can't hide the truth.

:killacam:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

young god wrote:
DLG wrote:is Lex Lugor's sound that original though? Always thought his beats sounded like bargain bin Shawty Redd beats.
THIS. Been saying the same thing for a long time. Although I enjoy Luger's beats, they are not HIS sound, and he definitely jacked shawty redd. Why don't more people talk about this? People are actually giving credit to Lex like he pioneered something. Did people really forget about Jeezy's albums already?

Agreed. The south been doing that style for over a decade anyway. The majors pushed that sound because the south could always get that support it did. Only thing that really changed in the southern sound was the influx of more triplet hi-hat 808 beats and using weird breakdown sounds.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Lex Lugor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Christ, can't someone ban Mindbender from M2C?

Lex's sound is more aggressive and busy than the Shawty Redd's sound. Shawty Redd meets Lil Jon would be a fair comparison, though.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Balkongen Loungin' wrote:Lex's sound is more aggressive and busy than the Shawty Redd's sound.
:cheers:

young god

Post by young god »

Employee wrote:
Balkongen Loungin' wrote:Lex's sound is more aggressive and busy than the Shawty Redd's sound.
:cheers:
It is, but it's still not him creating a sound. He's building on what Shawty already made. Even the bass kicks that Lex is known for came from Shawty.

DLG

Post by DLG »

jeezy - who dat beat, which I think is D Rich but overseen by Shawty Redd, is just as hard as anything on the waka album.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Lex Luger is zzzzzzz. Not even half the producer Shawty Redd is.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Reason wrote:although it makes me audibly chuckle when i hear rick ross say "i can tell you bout the bodies i can tell you bout the killin" godamn he just makes really good rap music. fml

i've heard a lot of gangsta rap in my life. and i don't listen to ALL of Rick Ross's shit, but i hear my fair share, just cause it gets played.

hot ass beats... with like, a generic Guerilla Black-like gangsta cliche rapper that has a cartoony gruff voice.

but your criticisms, at least here, have to do with his 'ideas' and thus his lyrics

i'm talkin about the MUSIC, the entire song as a whole. you can't find me a better "in-house production team" than ross'
Nets 2022

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

who was the first to use the rising synth?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

sleazy_j wrote:who was the first to use the rising synth?
it's been around well before the incarnation we are used to

off the top of my head go back to vol. 3 by jigga. the song where juvenile does the hook.
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Reason wrote:
sleazy_j wrote:who was the first to use the rising synth?
it's been around well before the incarnation we are used to

off the top of my head go back to vol. 3 by jigga. the song where juvenile does the hook.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Pd-64fHTXM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Pd-64fHTXM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Nets 2022

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Just Blaze popularized it.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^
word.
Nets 2022

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:but its okay, cause when Rick Ross's new album comes out and does meh numbers, people will be like "this dude isn't even the LeBron James of rap, cause at least LeBron was a high school superlegend for a while. Rick Ross has NEVER TRULY been anywhere NEAR G.O.A.T. status as a rapper"

and this album will either prove it or move him to a higher level.

so far, he flopped his first single, the 'Touch N' You' with Usher. song is not noteworthy in any way.
we got time for one or two more singles before the July release date of 'God Forgives, I Don't'.

and what does Rozay have in the stash? a song with Dr. Dre (who is pissing off everyone so much with his 'Detox' delay, that Dre beats aren't even guaranteed to get tons of play, as seen by good songs with T.I. and Kendrick Lamar)

and Wale, Gunplay, Stalley, Meek... really? will they blow up the album? no. obviously he's got no Waka Flocka guest spot, and he just got dissed by a dude who said some real shit that he can't really respond to. Ross DID jack Waka's sound. Even if he's got Nas on the album, it don't matter. He has Nas on 'Rich Forever', and that thing didn't do much since January. Obviously Ross will have a guest spot from Drake, but they've been there and done that already. Same with a Weezy verse. And a Nicki Minaj guest spot? Ha.

I'll stop shitting on Rick Ross and stop calling him the Vanilla Ice of gangsta rap, if he can actually make something REALLY CLASSIC with this new album. But I am skeptical.

he's gonna have to have another heart attack :owens: right before the album sells, or come up with some other Criminal Publicity Stunt to boost sales. But it's still not even doing 150,000 in its first week, just like the last one. all this blunt smoke and Maybach mirrors can't hide the truth.

You are obsessed.

Anyone who has ever posted on this board, dead or alive, is aware of your position vis-a-vis Rick Ross. You post in any thread remotely concerning him and post about him in other threads at the slightest provocation.

And you are not even really saying anything that Rick Ross' supporters even disagree about. Yes, he is a fake. Yes, he is a studio gangster. No, he is not doing anything original. No, he is not a skilled lyricist.

And I don't give a fuck about a Rick Ross, didn't even know he had an album coming out. But seriously, give it a rest.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

ANU

Post by ANU »

i'd say shawty red is an influence on lex but also end 90's early 00's dj paul & juicy j.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

didnt read anything you posters posted but cut the rumors

Waka Flocka Flame‏@WakaFlockaBSM

Just got off the phone with Rozay we talking bout these lames try 2 break shit up #MMG #YMCMB #BSM we itג€™s all the same
http://twitter.com/WakaFlockaBSM/status ... 9107918849

triple f in stores go cop dat maggot

Req

Post by Req »

pop shit apologize :lol:

Thunder in 5
F.U. MOOLAH

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Reason wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:

but your criticisms, at least here, have to do with his 'ideas' and thus his lyrics

i'm talkin about the MUSIC, the entire song as a whole. you can't find me a better "in-house production team" than ross'
oh, the Justice League and Ross's production team? impeccable!

but it's like 80 PERCENT THEM that should take credit for the success, if not more. you could literally put damn near ANY modern rapper on those beats and they would do the exact same numbers. that's why I don't think Rick Ross is special, as a rapper. he's not a street legend, nor is he a rap legend, for real. but he PRETENDS he is both, for real. :bunk:

that's also why Rick Ross has kept a TIGHT ASS LEASH on those guys who make his beats on the first few albums, keeping them in-house so no other rapper could take the sound further than he did. now that he's using more diverse producers and stuff, he's getting called out for it. can't keep up a charade forever.

Ross has ~obviously~ studied all the great rap albums (because he recycles all his content from them, and speaks in pure street cliches), and even has obviously studied all the great Hollywood gangsta and hood movies :roll: because he makes a very cinematic musical experience. i would never take that away from him.

but are we calling John Singleton a gangsta hustler killer now, cause he created 'Boyz N the Hood'? are the Hughes Brothers now considered hardcore thug ass murderers because they created 'Menace II Society'?