Is this cool with you? (nh)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote: I'm likely one of literally a handful of people in the entire country that even know who Troy Ave and Chief Keef are.
Where do you live?
Trinidad

david111

Post by david111 »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
david111 wrote:is '30 yr old white bloggers are making this stuff popular' the new 'the labels are forcing people to like gangster and pop rap'. this stuff was taking off on its own.

stop giving them more importance than they deserve. you cant control what goes viral, you can only shove how it's discussed in one direction or another.

imo the sooner the entirety of america takes ownership over how its raising all of its children the better. no one was shocked by how keef was living when they could ignore him. keef isn't a puppet. everything about the 'i don't like' video was created by his peers. the song was produced by an 18 year old and starred a 16 year old and 19 year old. it was shot by a 23 year old, who uploaded it to youtube. these four people put it in the public sphere. it made its own success.

for what it's worth, i'm not really into the troy ave video; when i don't like the art, i find the violence off putting.
I don't really care to discuss the perceived social impact of rap music or its right to exist or how America is raising its kids or who put Chief Keef up to it.

Just simply wanted to know if 30 year-old white people (and people in general) genuinely enjoy this stuff, especially among their real life peers.

...which you answered lower down. Thanks.
Thats not the question i answered. I think some white ppl do genuinely enjoy this stuff, among their irl peers. i also think lots of white ppl are just into it for the reason you mentioned at the top of the thread. that's not contradictory. i think for probably the majority of ppl, it's a complicated dance between the two.

at the same time for most white ppl rap as a whole is a novelty. but i think the difference you're suggesting between Nas & this -- in terms of white ppl liking it -- is more about time & history than some radically different way of dropping nbombs. I mean you can look at wu tang shows from '93 and there isnt a white dude in the building, ppl probably said the same shit about them then. Now they tour liberal arts colleges

b.radio

Post by b.radio »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Employee wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Just simply wanted to know if 30 year-old white people (and people in general) genuinely enjoy this stuff, especially among their real life peers.
By positing your query you've indicated to the entire board that you have few-to-no friends and have lived a dangerously sheltered life.
I dont' live in the United States. Rap music isn't as popular here. I'm likely one of literally a handful of people in the entire country that even know who Troy Ave and Chief Keef are.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

this reminds me of a party I went to last night full of white skater/hipster/OF kids and Gucci/Waka/Chief Keef/Future was the only music they played. All the kids knew the songs word for word, including the females. Good times.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Kalistoga wrote:this reminds me of a party I went to last night full of white skater/hipster/OF kids and Gucci/Waka/Chief Keef/Future was the only music they played. All the kids knew the songs word for word, including the females. Good times.
lol how old are you?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Are depictions of violence and aggression and general 'ignorance' among blacks in rap, that are this gratuitous, entertaining to you? Be honest.
Yes, because I like teh Rap musik for many of the same reasons I enjoy Sam Peckinpah movies, but I also enjoy when white ppl do it too; see : the Beasties in the 80s, some R.A The Rugged Man, Rugged Shit by Necro, T-Bo & Mike Da Hustla's Who Dem Boys? album, Code Name by White and Thug Kracka by DSB.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cjg9QykXKvk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cjg9QykXKvk?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Are white people in their 30s (who, I presume, comprise most of the bloggers that are at least partly responsible for this stuff being as popular as it is at the moment) really comfortable chanting along to "a bitch nigga: that's that shit I don't like" around other people in the real world?
We replace the n-word with nucca or ninja when listening in public places and only let the n-bombs slip when we're listening in more private locations. This is an acceptable practice according to Sean Price, Chamillionaire and Mistah F.A.B.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Balkongen Loungin' wrote:This is an acceptable practice according to Sean Price, Chamillionaire and Mistah F.A.B.
50, Too Short, Serch and Eminem agree.

Not Yelawolf though.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

people like these songs & sing along to them. everytime i go out i hear "we trippy", "turnt up" or "u ain't bout dat life" at least 3 times. i can't comment on all-white peer groups tho b/c i don't belong to them

dubs

Post by dubs »

ackbar wrote:people like these songs & sing along to them. everytime i go out i hear "we trippy", "turnt up" or "u ain't bout dat life" at least 3 times. i can't comment on all-white peer groups tho b/c i don't belong to them
Mixed peer groups >>>
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

I went to a Waka show last night. It was so nigga and violence.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

:rofl:
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

ANU

Post by ANU »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:david111, do you have like-minded friends offline whom you listen to this kind of rap music around?
http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#2453607