Is this cool with you? (nh)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Is this cool with you? (nh)

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Are depictions of violence and aggression and general 'ignorance' among blacks in rap, that are this gratuitous, entertaining to you? Be honest.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJrMrcIryaw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJrMrcIryaw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcRXJ4piHg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcRXJ4piHg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

post/sig

DLG

Post by DLG »

Moolah wrote:post/sig
:lol: :lol:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Moolah wrote:post/sig
:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: / :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Chief Keef's video isn't even violent at all... it's just a sausage fest :copy:

rap videos without girls: that's some shit i don't like :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gyangsta 4 Life

Truthfully, I enjoy a lot of this kind of rap. I'm a fan of Troy Ave, Max B etc. Chief Keef is okay too.

Sometimes, though, IMO it gets taken to Nas-hanging-Jay-z-in-effigy levels of unnecessary.

Are white people in their 30s (who, I presume, comprise most of the bloggers that are at least partly responsible for this stuff being as popular as it is at the moment) really comfortable chanting along to "a bitch nigga: that's that shit I don't like" around other people in the real world?

Dap

Post by Dap »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Truthfully, I enjoy a lot of this kind of rap. I'm a fan of Troy Ave, Max B etc. Chief Keef is okay too.

Sometimes, though, IMO it gets taken to Nas-hanging-Jay-z-in-effigy levels of unnecessary.

Are white people in their 30s (who, I presume, comprise most of the bloggers that are at least partly responsible for this stuff being as popular as it is at the moment) really comfortable chanting along to "a bitch nigga: that's that shit I don't like" around other people in the real world?
did u really have to ask that question? if theres no one black around they will say the word nigga until they run out of breath

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Dap wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Truthfully, I enjoy a lot of this kind of rap. I'm a fan of Troy Ave, Max B etc. Chief Keef is okay too.

did u really have to ask that question? if theres no one black around they will say the word nigga until they run out of breath
:rofl: :bunk: :rofl: :bunk: :rofl: :bunk: :rofl: :bunk: :rofl: ... :clay:

CRAP is outta control.

I don't want to think that Chief Keef wrote that song down, word to Biggie's rhymebook in his head. "I Don't Like" is SO basic, cavemannish, and stunningly stupid and simple, that the entire thing better be a freestyle that went viral... like a song version of genital warts! :fail:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: Is this cool with you? (nh)

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Are depictions of violence and aggression and general 'ignorance' among blacks in rap, that are this gratuitous, entertaining to you? Be honest.
Sometimes it is. Generally it isn't. Those videos are fun enough to watch, so I guess the answer is "yes" (?) Why don't you just cut the bullshit and say whatever it is that concerns you.
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Are white people in their 30s (who, I presume, comprise most of the bloggers that are at least partly responsible for this stuff being as popular as it is at the moment) really comfortable chanting along to "a bitch nigga: that's that shit I don't like" around other people in the real world?
I doubt it very much but I wouldn't know.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

lol at getting offended by music videos

decadence is godly

get mad

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:lol at getting offended by music videos

decadence is godly

get mad
:larry:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:
Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:lol at getting offended by music videos

decadence is godly

get mad
:larry:
u mad?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote: Are white people in their 30s (who, I presume, comprise most of the bloggers that are at least partly responsible for this stuff being as popular as it is at the moment) really comfortable chanting along to "a bitch nigga: that's that shit I don't like" around other people in the real world?
Partly responsible for a certain type/level of fame, maybe. But Keef had hundreds of thousands of youtube views before anybody who covers the Chicago scene from a blog level really even knew what the fuck was going on. Keef was built by kids in the Chicago Public School system. The fact that 30 year old whites latch onto it is another matter, but shouldn't be surprising.

I find Keef enjoyable in moderation, but I have to be in a certain mood. Either way, it's not what I was expecting given the thread. Troy Ave is great, and the video is a reasonable homage to Nino, but it's not the type of thing I'd watch over and over (not like I really watch many videos more than once these days). I do listen to Troy's music regularly though.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EeMlHuKXUX4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EeMlHuKXUX4?ve ... a_DK&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This is how it's supposed to be done. This shit is immensely entertaining to me, not corny or cartoon-like.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I love violence so it's cool with me.

david111

Post by david111 »

is '30 yr old white bloggers are making this stuff popular' the new 'the labels are forcing people to like gangster and pop rap'. this stuff was taking off on its own.

stop giving them more importance than they deserve. you cant control what goes viral, you can only shove how it's discussed in one direction or another.

imo the sooner the entirety of america takes ownership over how its raising all of its children the better. no one was shocked by how keef was living when they could ignore him. keef isn't a puppet. everything about the 'i don't like' video was created by his peers. the song was produced by an 18 year old and starred a 16 year old and 19 year old. it was shot by a 23 year old, who uploaded it to youtube. these four people put it in the public sphere. it made its own success.

for what it's worth, i'm not really into the troy ave video; when i don't like the art, i find the violence off putting.
Last edited by david111 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Spartan wrote:I love violence so it's cool with me.
post/sig

PEACE

david111

Post by david111 »

That said, obviously I do think that unquestionably for lots & lots of white people, yes, depictions of violence and aggression and general 'ignorance' among blacks in rap, that are this gratuitous are entertaining to them.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

david111 wrote:is '30 yr old white bloggers are making this stuff popular' the new 'the labels are forcing people to like gangster and pop rap'. this stuff was taking off on its own.

stop giving them more importance than they deserve. you cant control what goes viral, you can only shove how it's discussed in one direction or another.

imo the sooner the entirety of america takes ownership over how its raising all of its children the better. no one was shocked by how keef was living when they could ignore him. keef isn't a puppet. everything about the 'i don't like' video was created by his peers. the song was produced by an 18 year old and starred a 16 year old and 19 year old. it was shot by a 23 year old, who uploaded it to youtube. these four people put it in the public sphere. it made its own success.

for what it's worth, i'm not really into the troy ave video; when i don't like the art, i find the violence off putting.
Do you also rescue baby rabbits in your spare time?

david111

Post by david111 »

whoa whoa whoa i don't think i did anything heroic here dont get me wrong. this shit is way complicated

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

david111 wrote:whoa whoa whoa i don't think i did anything heroic here dont get me wrong. this shit is way complicated
It seemed cut-and-dry a few minutes ago:
david111 wrote:That said, obviously I do think that unquestionably for lots & lots of white people, yes, depictions of violence and aggression and general 'ignorance' among blacks in rap, that are this gratuitous are entertaining to them.
:fail:

david111

Post by david111 »

those were unrelated ideas

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:
david111 wrote:is '30 yr old white bloggers are making this stuff popular' the new 'the labels are forcing people to like gangster and pop rap'. this stuff was taking off on its own.

Do you also rescue baby rabbits in your spare time?
lol for real

who is this faggot david anyway? you sound like an outraged midwestern soccer mom you fuckin bitch

david111

Post by david111 »

yall are mad abt the troy ave thing? ive liked some of his other songs \oO/

Gyangsta 4 Life

I don't really care to discuss the perceived social impact of rap music or its right to exist or how America is raising its kids or who put Chief Keef up to it.

Just simply wanted to know if 30 year-old white people (and people in general) genuinely enjoy this stuff, especially among their real life peers.

...which you answered lower down. Thanks.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Just simply wanted to know if 30 year-old white people (and people in general) genuinely enjoy this stuff, especially among their real life peers.
By positing your query you've indicated to the entire board that you have few-to-no friends and have lived a dangerously sheltered life.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Dap wrote:

I'm intentionally avoiding saying too much because then every response to this thread becomes a reaction to whatever people think my personal views are.

But anyway, IMO there's a significant difference between reciting a Nas verse where he says "nigga" a few times (even if not used as a term of endearment)....and singing along to a song where the central refrains are "fuck nigga", "snitch nigga", and "bitch nigga".

Gyangsta 4 Life

Employee wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
By positing your query you've indicated to the entire board that you have few-to-no friends and have lived a dangerously sheltered life.
I dont' live in the United States. Rap music isn't as popular here. I'm likely one of literally a handful of people in the entire country that even know who Troy Ave and Chief Keef are.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Spartan wrote:I love violence so it's cool with me.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote: I'm likely one of literally a handful of people in the entire country that even know who Troy Ave and Chief Keef are.
Where do you live?
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;