Jaden Smith – "The Coolest"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: Jaden Smith – "The Coolest"

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Dids wrote:This is only decent if you think the whole mushmouthed downs syndrome having assed mumblehop nobody can actually rap anymore flow is cool, which it really shouldn't be. Ma$e was amusing because he found the right mix of suck and funny- and now people act like he was a decent MC whose style is worthy of jacking. You have all ruined hip-hop.
ha.
nice try. On the mic, Ma$e was a man of his time, as was Puffy. The rhymes Ma$e wrote were actually better than people gave him credit for. Slick witty Harlem playa/hustler money raps for the 9-7. His soft-skull rap flow was actually original at the time.

Variations on flows over different tempos isn't really something you can patent wholesale, even though the Jay-Z double-time stutter rap style is clearly Jigga's (I mean, Jaz-O's :ironmike: ) and "diggety" was made by Das Efx, etc.
but this is just a guy writing to stay in the pocket of the beat and coming with a harmonic concept for a song.
you hear this song as Mase-biting? :bunk:

i have only played this song twice and may not even play it 5 times in total before i forget it exists. but don't front.
there are way worse songs out there, amirite or amirite :arrow:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dids

Post by Dids »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:
Dids wrote:This is only decent if you think the whole mushmouthed downs syndrome having assed mumblehop nobody can actually rap anymore flow is cool, which it really shouldn't be. .
coming from the guy who sleeps with an Earl Sweatshirt plush doll.
1- Earl's flow, while at times slightly musmouthy is worlds beyond Mase/Loon/those guys who you know exactly whom I'm talking about

2- This kid doesn't come close to Earl's lyrics and you know that too.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Earls good but

has fifty times the vitamins and minerals plus he actually got to make a classic with Tyler's beloved Neptunes during their prime

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Dids wrote:2- This kid doesn't come close to Earl's lyrics and you know that too.
can't possibly be a real post
moved by duck muscles

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

anticonguy wrote:LOL so I'm trolling because I see this for what it is? This kid wouldn't have a career in rap if it wasn't for his dad or his acting career. This is not good. He mumbles the entire song, and towards the end tries something different and just fails. It's just a chill beat behind a kid that looks like his dad. Doesn't make it good.
Judging by how you've been posting lately and not by just this post (a few others), I'm just calling it how I see it. I feel like calling you step one, jr. at this point. But ah well......carry on. Tell us how just because of his bloodline this is not good some more.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

For the record I think people that are lauding or destroying the kid based off that one youtube video are both out of line.

He's not Rakim, but neither was Will Smith. He's not rapping anything like his father or coming with some super corny gimmick. He's trying to do his own thing, and I'm not mad at it. That said, it's nothing exceptional or anything that shows an extreme amount of promise. It's a decent song though, nothing to get too carried away with. The fact that his father was a rapper, shouldn't preclude him from trying to be one. That's like saying Ken Griffey Jr. should have never picked up the bat. Sure he has certain "advantages," as does anybody who chooses to take the same path their parents took.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:For the record I think people that are lauding or destroying the kid based off that one youtube video are both out of line.
fuck him and his whole family

the mom is still the most hiphop out of all of them..

jiggy

anticonguy

Post by anticonguy »

ardamus wrote:
anticonguy wrote:LOL so I'm trolling because I see this for what it is? This kid wouldn't have a career in rap if it wasn't for his dad or his acting career. This is not good. He mumbles the entire song, and towards the end tries something different and just fails. It's just a chill beat behind a kid that looks like his dad. Doesn't make it good.
Judging by how you've been posting lately and not by just this post (a few others), I'm just calling it how I see it. I feel like calling you step one, jr. at this point. But ah well......carry on. Tell us how just because of his bloodline this is not good some more.
damn son. i didnt say this wasn't good just because of his background, i said that the only reason he has a career is because of his background. yeah his acting is pretty legit, karate kid remake was swell. but i just can't imagine anyone liking this kids music if he wasn't 'jaden smith' hes the justin beiber of rap. this isn't a good song period. his flow sucks, he mumbles the entire time, and COOL a 14 year old kid telling me how 'cool' he is. thanks man, really appreciate it, totally went into chill mode as soon as he started rapping. i was VIBING to this so hard.
"i cant listen to any rap... i think it all is pretty much boring to listen to.... i would never listen to some underground or mtv-underground shit when im home washing dishes or whatever... but some people still like rap... god bless em, thats who buys my records!"- sole

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

The Afronaut wrote:
BRAZ wrote:his parents understand
:lol: Underrated post.

that beat is ill as fuck tho. Not mad at this shit one bit. Altho I'm more wet about hearing a new cut from Willow :bunny:

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

anticonguy wrote:
ardamus wrote:
damn son. i didnt say this wasn't good just because of his background, i said that the only reason he has a career is because of his background. yeah his acting is pretty legit, karate kid remake was swell. but i just can't imagine anyone liking this kids music if he wasn't 'jaden smith' hes the justin beiber of rap. this isn't a good song period. his flow sucks, he mumbles the entire time, and COOL a 14 year old kid telling me how 'cool' he is. thanks man, really appreciate it, totally went into chill mode as soon as he started rapping. i was VIBING to this so hard.
Justin Bieber has a huge career and his mother was a throwaway skeez single step mother that Req left for dead. Lot's of artists good and bad don't get a career from their parents. In fact, most don't. Your logic is unsound and just plain :retard:

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

I like Justin Bieber.

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Just found out he raps over the Instrumental by Algorythm - Stoops Parks and Rooftops. Original is much better.

http://soundcloud.com/algorythm/stoops-parks-rooftops

Here's a few remixes by the producers of the song The Stuyvesants.

Tribe Called Quest - 1nce Again The Stuyvesants Remix
http://soundcloud.com/algorythm/05-1nce-again-the-stuyvesants

Nas - Get Down The Stuyvesants Remix
http://soundcloud.com/algorythm/09-get-down-the-stuyvesants
Heeeey youuu guyyys - Goonies

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:The rhymes Ma$e wrote were actually better than people gave him credit for. Slick witty Harlem playa/hustler money raps for the 9-7. His soft-skull rap flow was actually original at the time.
ma$e was a sick writer. way better than earl. i like earl but he hasn't amounted to anything yet. harlem world. he sounds super chill n relaxed, cam built off it.

He's not Rakim, but neither was Will Smith.
well actually

1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

cool track

anybody got the instrumental?

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

mayhem wrote:Just found out he raps over the Instrumental by Algorythm - Stoops Parks and Rooftops. Original is much better.

http://soundcloud.com/algorythm/stoops-parks-rooftops

Here's a few remixes by the producers of the song The Stuyvesants.

Tribe Called Quest - 1nce Again The Stuyvesants Remix
http://soundcloud.com/algorythm/05-1nce-again-the-stuyvesants

Nas - Get Down The Stuyvesants Remix
http://soundcloud.com/algorythm/09-get-down-the-stuyvesants
damn props :gayzoos:

Kace

Post by Kace »

What's with all the hate? The kid got mad street swag.

If dressing up like a gay hooker is your idea of street swag.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014 ... interview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’m curious about your experience of time. Do you feel like life is moving really quickly? Is your music one way to sort of turn it over and reflect on it?

WILLOW: I mean, time for me, I can make it go slow or fast, however I please, and that’s how I know it doesn’t exist.

JADEN: It’s proven that how time moves for you depends on where you are in the universe. It’s relative to beings and other places. But on the level of being here on earth, if you are aware in a moment, one second can last a year. And if you are unaware, your whole childhood, your whole life can pass by in six seconds. But it’s also such a thing that you can get lost in.

What are you searching for in those pieced-together moments?

JADEN: Honestly, we’re just trying to make music that we think is cool. We don’t think a lot of the music out there is that cool. So we make our own music. We don’t have any song that we like to listen to on the P.C.H. by any other artist, you know?

WILLOW: That’s what I do with novels. There’re no novels that I like to read so I write my own novels, and then I read them again, and it’s the best thing.

JADEN: Willow’s been writing her own novels since she was 6.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

TheTed wrote:http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014 ... interview/
I’m curious about your experience of time. Do you feel like life is moving really quickly? Is your music one way to sort of turn it over and reflect on it?

WILLOW: I mean, time for me, I can make it go slow or fast, however I please, and that’s how I know it doesn’t exist.

JADEN: It’s proven that how time moves for you depends on where you are in the universe. It’s relative to beings and other places. But on the level of being here on earth, if you are aware in a moment, one second can last a year. And if you are unaware, your whole childhood, your whole life can pass by in six seconds. But it’s also such a thing that you can get lost in.

JADEN: Honestly, we’re just trying to make music that we think is cool. We don’t think a lot of the music out there is that cool. So we make our own music. We don’t have any song that we like to listen to on the P.C.H. by any other artist, you know?

WILLOW: That’s what I do with novels. There’re no novels that I like to read so I write my own novels, and then I read them again, and it’s the best thing.

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are parenting their fucking children PROPERLY.

Smartest things I seen kids say in fucking ages. Those two are obviously going to do major things in this life, and we should big up Will Smith for not being a fucking evil man and crushing those kids freedom to grow into whatever they want.

I totally agree with Jaden's approach to making music and respect him much more now :cheers:

:ignore: *steals a Willow Smith novel... makes a Twilight/Matrix franchise out of it*
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

the new song is cool, it does sound like hes heavily influenced by gambino tho. but he can rap, so i figure he's got plenty of time to find his lane.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
TheTed wrote:http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014 ... interview/

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are parenting their fucking children PROPERLY.

Smartest things I seen kids say in fucking ages. Those two are obviously going to do major things in this life, and we should big up Will Smith for not being a fucking evil man and crushing those kids freedom to grow into whatever they want.

I totally agree with Jaden's approach to making music and respect him much more now :cheers:

:ignore: *steals a Willow Smith novel... makes a Twilight/Matrix franchise out of it*
Allowing children to indulge in their own ourobouros of delusion by deeming millennias worth of culture and social examination "boring" is good parenting now?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »