:: Blu’s “5 Records That Changed My Life” ::

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

WiCkEd22

:: Blu’s “5 Records That Changed My Life” ::

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I like these articles...

In 2007 Blu emerged as one of hip-hop’s most thoughtful young lyricists with his debut album with producer Exile, Below the Heavens, an aughts indie rap classic. In the years since the prolific emcee/producer’s eccentric introspection has continued to evolve with collaborative efforts with Ta’Raach, Mainframe, and Madlib, last year’s beautifully cryptic gem, Jesus, and the jaggedly experimental No York. With the recent release of Blu and Ex’s Heavens follow-up, Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them, we asked the rapper also known as Johnson Barnes to contemplate his creative roots a little further. Here, in his own words, are a few of the records that changed his life.

illmatic. the perfect album. how would one start.

Blu: i believe anyone who hears this record becomes an instant believer, anyone.

i remember going to the barber a year after i finally bought my first copy, which was in 1999. an 11 year old kid was like, “yo i heard you’re an emcee, i was like yea and so forth.” he was like, “i rap too”, i was like, “oh yeah, who’s ya favorite?” he was like, “nas yo. illmatic.”

he was like, “yeah, all 45 minutes and 36 seconds of it,” i was like, “damn kid, me too, deep.” years, years after the record dropped, a million miles away and still it hits you like you were there in ’94.

the perfect record, from the amount of songs, every beat and every verse.
let me get the illest producers in the game, let me shut down any emcee who has ever picked up a mic, and let me do all this at 18 years old. queens finest, new york’s best. perfect schemes and content. immaculate imagery. potent lyricism.

“the world is yours” was my favorite, then “halftime,” then “it aint hard to tell,” and then finally “ny state of mind,” i couldn’t turn it off til i heard and understood every bar, every word. it was that record that made me go get all the premier i could find, all the pete rock i could find. it was illmatic that made me want to create the perfect album.

Blu: deep. okay after you’ve heard every style of rap from the east to the west to the south. where do you go. to the north, or rather the mid west. i first heard of common visiting my aunt somewhere in the boonies and i aint have shit to do but watch music videos. i remember hearing this jam, “you remind me of sef,” and i was like damn, i gotta see this again. i hadn’t felt anything like it. it reminded me of my dad and the soul music he would dance to while driving. they played the video about four more times that day and i was hooked. but i never remembered the name.

years later, i finally started buying hip-hop myself, and not just listening to what my pop played or what was on the radio. i only had 3 cd’s at the time, ma$e, dmx & the firm. dmx and the firm got me into canibus. and from there i decided to buy anything canibus was on. i saw he had a song with an artist named common, who subconsciously i had completely forgotten about. so when my birthday money came around i bought redman the whut album and the common album one day it’ll all make sense. doug.

i was like ok, the redman is gonna be ill as hell so let me peep this common first. i popped it in on the ride home, we cooling out to the intro and then boom, “invocation.” my doug. i ain’t know what the fuck this nigga was saying but it was the deepest, smoothest shit i ever heard and the beat, my god, the beat. bro, when he said, “i strike like lightning and don’t need thunder, inhale imagination and breath wonder,” nga, i thought i was a genius for catching the line. little did i know i would be sitting on the record a good week before i even opened the redman. and the biggest treat was i found the song that i fell in love with from back in the day, “you remind me of sef.”

i remember my dad came down stairs like whats this, i was like common, the nga i was playing on the way home, you was fronting on him. he was like let me see that. this nigga aint wanna give me the record back, g.

“real nigga quotes,” “hungry,” “invocation” and the joint with canibus were my favorites cause they were the rawest ones. then joints like “all night long”, the “stolen moments” trilogy and “g.o.d.” were the ones that made me realize i was listen to some grown man shit. this album matured me bro. fuck puberty and pussy!

Blu: okay, I’m on now, I’m back in school and I’m a hip-hop head cause i bought a few rap albums. I’m thinking i know all the shit and i meet this kid named joey. he’s like, “nga u don’t know no krs-one by heart, you don’t know shit.” i followed him home and he revealed his vinyl collection. i died. he was like, man since you don’t know shit i’ll give you what my brother gave me to get me started. he gave me three tapes, the roots’ illadelph halflife, jeru’s wrath of the math, and redman’s muddy waters.

at the time i had already had redman’s the whut album so i decided to play muddy waters first. nga, my nga, I’m saying. “all aboard my balls cause my dick don’t gotta lotta room for the rest of y’all.” the rawest record i have ever heard. not one girl song. not one conscious effort. not one political statement (except fuck the police). and not one break from the madness. 20 plus tracks of straight spitting. i was like damn, this is the rawest nga on earth and it just so happened he was. i didn’t even know the song titles i would just play the tape over and over and over. i just wanted to leave school just to hear that album. i woke up to that shit and went to sleep to that shit. eventually “do what you feel” became my favorite and i rewound that song so much i was afraid i was gonna break the tape. finally buying that cd was like winning a trophy my g. the illest art. the nga was in mud. its called muddy waters i ain’t even know who the fuck muddy waters was.

the rawest rap album ever.

Blu: by this time, once again, I’m thinking i know my shit. new york is the illest, battle rapping is at its peak, and all the hip-hop heads is hating on what all the kids from the hood was playing, which was cash money, no limit and jay-z. i couldn’t stand jay-z. i thought he was the epitome of a sell out. all he talked about was money, cash & hoes. i ain’t wanna hear that. i was tryna hear a nigga say, ” i snatch ya crown with ya head still attached to it.” even after hearing conscious brothers like the roots and common, i couldn’t get into this math rapper, jay-z.

so it’s summer and “i just wanna love you” drops. a little guilty pleasure. i ain’t no why. i think it was the bubble beats that were coming out at the time. so i was like man, let me go get this jay-z shit. and i stole the dynasty album. i was like ok, this nigga is a beast. i got reasonable doubt but i was more on illmatic, couldn’t understand it. i got volumes two and three of in my lifetime, but i never been to a club, so i let my sister rock it. but bro, the crew of niggas on the dynasty, i was like this shit goes hard. i finally gave him his props but i never thought he had a classic.

then boom. summer of 2001. “h to the izzo,” jackson 5 beat, the illest single. I’m feeling it. it’s got the bubble pop production, the smooth reintroduction to the man behind the music, and it’s jay-z, the guy i grew to appreciate somewhat. i could dig it.

then i caught wind of the new york summer jam concert. oh my god, jay-z dissed nas. what! dissed nas! nas, the illest nga of all time, no way right. they was like yeah, it was a mobb deep diss but he said, “nas don’t want it with hov.” i was like all shit, it’s going down. then I’m working at my shoe store gig and they play the nas comeback song over the radio before i even got to hear jay’s shot at nas. it was called something, over a rakim beat i think, i was like damn, nas DISSED that nga jay, fuck yea! i thought it was a wrap for jay, this nga nas busted on his whole dynasty crew. it’s over.

so I’m in long beach, a week before jay-z is slated to drop the blueprint and hear that the og store in long beach is suppose to have the album early. so i go down to v.i.p. records and pick up the album. off the top, immaculate packaging, we pop the shit in. doug. dope intro, I’m like okay okay, then “the takeover” rolls in, hard ass beat, then i hear the mobb deep diss and boom he says the nas line, I’m like o shit this was the joint he did at summer jam. then the dude goes in on the king, nas, and bro he goes hard, he shoots down anything that i have ever known of the legend, i could’ve cried. then he follows up with the single, all happy like nothing happened and the record continues and never drops a notch. “girls girls girls” with q-tip, biz and slick rick, my g. then “u don’t know,” shit got like 8 plays before i even made it to the next song. “i sell ice in winter, fire in hell, i’ma hustler baby, i’ll sell water to a whale.” crush. then I’m like bro, were the fuck did all these sweet ass beats come from. i check the credits and it’s all new niggas. like who is kanye west, who is b!nk and who the fuck is this nigga just blaze? shit kills. then it has one guest feature, with eminem, and that shit kills on some political anti-america shit. the record closes out perfect, with “moma loved me”, probably to me one of the most personal records from jay to this date next to “song cry” which was also on the record. the “girls girls girls” remix too. i almost liked it more than illmatic, sorry sincere.

p.s. the release date arrives and i wake up to the twin towers collapsing.

Blu: yeah. i’m from the west. i slept on pac. i only banged snoop or dj quik if they were on the radio. i never heard compton’s most wanted or nothing. herb, i know.

tell you the truth, i can’t even remembering buying death certificate but all i know is when i heard it, nothing compared. it brought me back to the streets of l.a. that i grew up in but had no idea what was really going on. all i knew was niggas was on crack, gangsters was killing each other over colors and 2pac died. i was never into gangsta rap. maybe because i was into so many progressive artists who came out after all the gangsta rap shit that i thought the shit was ignorant or something. there was no respect really for west coast music outside of hip-hop. it was the lowest of the low, it was gangsta.

so yeah, i finally get death certificate. i remember my step moms’ favorite was ice cube so i was conscious that i wouldn’t let that “corny” fact ruin my listen. my nga, what the fuck. the 40z, the bean pies, the korean liquor store, uncle sam running in hoes in the hood, the message, the gang banging, and all where i grew up. this shit reminded me of my aunts, my uncles, my dad, my block, the blocks i never went down, the korean liquor stores, the bean pies, my g. this was the definitive l.a. shit. i remember going back banging pac, n.w.a, too short, ice-t, all them shits and nothing came close to death certificate, except amerikkka’s most wanted, go figure.

ice cube was like krs-one but like eazy-e too. he wasn’t the deepest but his message felt the most potent. it was straight to the point and the way he delivered it was hard, hard my nga, ice cube. I’m listening to the beats like damn, bomb squad did their thing but really it was sir jinx. the nigga learned everything bomb squad did on the first album and took the wheel and banged that shit harder on the second album. i was like damn, i remember ice cube but i had no idea this was ice cube. what he did for l.a. is unprecedented in music. i don’t think there has ever been a record to paint a demographic and capture the time period of a culture as great as death certificate.

the hardest rap album of all-time.

Source: www.egotripland.com/blu-5-records-that-changed-my-life
Last edited by WiCkEd22 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Afronaut

Re: (`'·.¸(`'·.¸ 5 Records That Changed My Life ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)

Post by The Afronaut »

Blu's list was a dope read.

Definitely digging the format for these.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Death Certificate is just one of the best rap albums, period. I'll throw it in my top five for today as well.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Reggie wrote:Death Certificate is just one of the best rap albums, period. I'll throw it in my top five for today as well.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

5 Records That Changed Wicked’s Life

01. “Beat Street Breakdown” by Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious 5 (1984)

This was the very first Hiphop song I ever heard and when I heard it, I instantly fell in love with Hiphop Music and watchin the Beat Street movie, I fell in love with the Culture... and it was in the Summer of 1984 when I was 10 years old and livin’ in East San Jose here in the Bay Area. I bought the Beat Street Soundtrack on Cassette from the local Flea Market and my friends & I played that tape all day everyday on one of their Boomboxes for months!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better (1989)

This album was as close to perfection as you could get back then and The D.O.C. was such an ill lyricist who was reppin’ Los Angeles (by way of Houston, TX) and rollin’ with Dr. Dre & them N!ggaz Wit Attitudes. haha For a little over a year, I would listen to this album day & night and over & over while by myself or with friends... it’s the one album in my whole life that I’ve listened to the most. It’s really difficult for me to pick one song as bein my favorite, but if I had to, I’d probably go with “Mind Blowin”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted (1990)

This album came out just days before my 16th birthday in May of 1990 when I was a Sophmore in High School and when I picked it up and listened for the first time, I was blown away!! Instantly I knew this was the greatest Hiphop album I’ve ever heard!! And bein’ that I was always a little East Coast biased, I loved that fact that Cube went to New York and recorded this album with the amazing production crew The Bomb Squad! This is also right up there with one of the most played Hiphop albums in my entire life. As for my favorite song, this is another one of those albums where it could be a number of songs, but I’ll have to go with “Who’s The Mack” cuz of how smooth & laid back that beat is and how Cube tells a great story. Easily that’s one of my favorite Hiphop songs of all time. Runner up would be “Rollin’ Wit The Lench Mob”.

04. “Who Got Da Props” by Black Moon (1992)

It was December of 1992 around 7:30pm and I was listenin’ to my local “Home of Hiphop and R&B” commercial radio station 106.1 KMEL and they played this joint called “Who Got The Props” by a group called Black Moon and I was blown away! As soon as the song ended, I called up Star Records (r.i.p) in San Jose over off Capital & McKee and they had the cassette single in which I rushed over there cuz they closed at 8pm and I fuckin NEEDED that tape!

05. Nas - Illmatic (1994)

I had first heard Nasty Nas in ’90/91 when he debuted on the joint “Live At The Barbeque” by Main Source and was immediately wonderin’ “who the fuck is that?!?!?!” Next he appeared on the MC Serch posse cut “Back To The Grill” in ’92 and then his own solo joint “Halftime” off the Zeebrahead Soundtrack which was also in ’92. April 19, 1994 is when Illmatic finally dropped and that day when I bought it I must have listened to it 10-12 times. Only one word could describe that album... AMAZING!!! My favorite joint was easily “The World Is Yours” which was produced by and featured the Soul Brother #1, Pete Rock.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

And if I could add one thing as a bonus I would add...

“Soul Clap” by Showbiz & A.G. (1992)

One word describes this song... Classic!!!

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

i like waht blu had to say about illmatic
onpoint like a decimal, every word
illmatic was gettin pre album relaease hype
by the time snoop and the wu hit and that christmas was a wrap
it was a cold day in spring when illmatic dropped
i took a long ride to go get it and it didnt leave the box for a long time
one of those albums that sinks into your soul . it was like an audio movie from the kids
mind growing up in the bridge. see nas was complicated. he was both an outsider
and insider to the game and learned early on to free himself from it with
he was blessed enough to be just that gifted with words and flow. memory lane is no doubt one
of the most lyrical and meaningful and deep rap songs ever

true in the game as long as blood is blue in my veins , yeah thats bars ive seen niggas get inked on them

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blu is a complete idiot.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I changed the title so it reflected Blu's Top 5, just so people didn't get thrown off by that unnecessary gay swirl and/or think it had ANYTHING to do with YOU like most of your threads. Your Top 5 just won't go over well.

But you went ahead and edited back.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:I changed the title so it reflected Blu's Top 5, just so people didn't get thrown off by that unnecessary gay swirl and/or think it had ANYTHING to do with YOU like most of your threads. Your Top 5 just won't go over well.

But you went ahead and edited back.
This guy. And how do most of my threads have to do with me? Were not on P&B. haha

Also, at least I actually made my own list for the 5 records that changed my life. Where's yoar list, Jason???

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Philaflava wrote:just so people didn't get thrown off by that unnecessary gay swirl
:lol:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Re: :: Blu’s “5 Records That Changed My Life” ::

Post by ackbar »

01. The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity
02. The Jacka - The Jack Artist
03. Buck 65 - Vertex
04. Mac Dre - Thizzelle Washington
05. Paul Wall & Chamillionaire - Get Ya Mind Correct

Dap

Post by Dap »

1. nas - illmatic
2. btnh - e. 1999 eternal
3. project pat - mista dont play
4. deltron 3030
5. snoop dogg - doggystyle

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

1) dj shadow - endtroducing
2) organized konfusion - stress
3) aceyalone - book of human language
4) dr octagon
5) funcrusher plus

step one

Post by step one »

As far as rap goes...

1 - Eric B & Rakim 'Paid In Full' (Coldcut remix)
2 - Public Enemy 'Nation Of Millions..'
3 - Various 'Hip Hop & Rapping In The House' compilation from 1988
4 - Ice T 'Power'
5 - Wu Tang '36 Chambers'
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Thun wrote:Blu is a complete idiot.
This.

FAZER

Post by FAZER »

This is by far the best one.

http://www.egotripland.com/eddie-huang- ... d-my-life/
People hate on post-golden era hip-hop and tried to distance themselves from the word “urban,” listened to electronic, indie rock, cry-in-her-sweater-when-she-let’s-your-friend-hit type emo hot trash. I even remember some of these corny street wear boutiques putting out Japanese electronic sit on a bottle of Head & Shoulders mix-tapes while pretending like every thing in the store isn’t “urban” inspired. I rocked Air Forces, purple whatever, and kept the stickers on my hat until last year. I never understood how people could grow up 15, 20 years, riding for hip-hop and then just toss it to the side ’cause it wasn’t cool to rock baggy jeans anymore, fuckin’ fugazis. Styles come and go, but if you listened to hip-hop ’cause of that, shoot yourself. Like post-Jordan NBA subliminal racists hating on AI talking about how they think college basketball is a better game, please speak with your eyes open, my g. These four corners, take an hour to shoot, NCAA fools couldn’t drop a triple-double at Stuytown. Dipset, NBA, and Mono Sodium Glutemate forever. Hip-hop will never die and the real isn’t “back,” because it always was. Don’t tell the rest of us it’s over because you voluntarily paid $200 to put your balls in a selvage denim headlock like a fucking retard.

Thun

Post by Thun »

FAZER wrote:This is by far the best one.

http://www.egotripland.com/eddie-huang- ... d-my-life/
People hate on post-golden era hip-hop and tried to distance themselves from the word “urban,” listened to electronic, indie rock, cry-in-her-sweater-when-she-let’s-your-friend-hit type emo hot trash. I even remember some of these corny street wear boutiques putting out Japanese electronic sit on a bottle of Head & Shoulders mix-tapes while pretending like every thing in the store isn’t “urban” inspired. I rocked Air Forces, purple whatever, and kept the stickers on my hat until last year. I never understood how people could grow up 15, 20 years, riding for hip-hop and then just toss it to the side ’cause it wasn’t cool to rock baggy jeans anymore, fuckin’ fugazis. Styles come and go, but if you listened to hip-hop ’cause of that, shoot yourself. Like post-Jordan NBA subliminal racists hating on AI talking about how they think college basketball is a better game, please speak with your eyes open, my g. These four corners, take an hour to shoot, NCAA fools couldn’t drop a triple-double at Stuytown. Dipset, NBA, and Mono Sodium Glutemate forever. Hip-hop will never die and the real isn’t “back,” because it always was. Don’t tell the rest of us it’s over because you voluntarily paid $200 to put your balls in a selvage denim headlock like a fucking retard.

:wtf:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Blu is kind of :naswtf: but still, he's right about 'Death Certificate', and he's quite on point about the evolutionary maturity found in 'One Day It Will All Make Sense'. That shit is in Common's Top 3 albums, I believe. "Invocation" = fuck off and :rockout: .

And Thun, you ALWAYS critique, and NEVER contribute. Shit is fucking lame.

You're the David Mays of internet hip hop. C'mon son.

stop being scared of everything

peace to Reggie (AMCNPI and Noble)
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Philaflava wrote:
Reggie wrote:Death Certificate is just one of the best rap albums, period. I'll throw it in my top five for today as well.

as someone who prefers amerikkka's MW to death cert i always wondered do ppl (like u guys reggie and gloss) acknowledge that AMW is musically (i.e. instrumentation/sample selection and usage/purely in terms of the "sheet music"/arrangements) superior even though they think death cert is better which is a perfectly fine opinion (not that my opinion that ur opinion is fine means a damn thing)
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

Reason wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

as someone who prefers amerikkka's MW to death cert i always wondered do ppl (like u guys reggie and gloss) acknowledge that AMW is musically (i.e. instrumentation/sample selection and usage/purely in terms of the "sheet music"/arrangements) superior even though they think death cert is better which is a perfectly fine opinion (not that my opinion that ur opinion is fine means a damn thing)
AMW is more musically daring, I'd agree. DC is musically perfect too, in my opinion, they just didn't take any risks with it. If that makes sense.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
And Thun, you ALWAYS critique, and NEVER contribute. Shit is fucking lame.

You're the David Mays of internet hip hop. C'mon son.
Really? I've never contributed anything to a discussion of hip hop online? Like, really?

Peace to Alaska.