Rap Science

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

silence

Rap Science

Post by silence »

Three people at the P involved in a study of freestyling with National Institutes of Health. Two active posters, Open Mike Eagle and Ardamus, and a (mostly) lurker (me) worked on this. It's been 4 years in the making.

Thought some of you would be interested.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/165145967/a-pee ... rovisation
A Peek Inside Rappers' Brains Shows Roots Of Improvisation
Sarah Zielinski November 15, 2012

Some rappers have an impressive ability to make up lyrics on the fly, in a style known as freestyle rap.

These performers have a lot in common with jazz musicians, it turns out.

Scientists have found artists in both genres are using their brains in similar ways when they improvise.

A group of jazz pianists had their heads examined in a 2008 PLOS One study, which subjected the musicians to functional magnetic resonance imaging scans. These scans highlight areas of brain activity.

When riffing on a tune instead of playing a memorized composition, the musicians had lower activity in a part of the frontal brain that is thought to be responsible for planning and greater activity in another part of the frontal brain believed to motivate thought and action.

After hearing about the jazz study, Los Angeles rappers Michael Eagle and Daniel Rizik-Baer contacted one of the researchers, Allen Braun, chief of the voice, speech and language branch of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. Eagle and Rizik-Baer proposed a similar study on freestyle rap.

Soon Braun's colleague Siyuan Liu at NIDCD put together a team, which included the two rappers, to determine what was happening inside these performers' brains.

In their study, published today in Scientific Reports, five professional rappers were given a set of lyrics to memorize. A week later each was put inside an MRI machine to put on his performance.

"It's not a very natural environment, that's for sure," notes Braun, a co-author on the latest study. "It's noisy and you have to lie on your back. And you need to stay still."

The clinical setting may not have been the normal setting for the rappers, but they had little difficulty performing on cue. Each would perform the preset rap, and then they would switch to improvising to the same music track.

"By comparing the two, we could see the neural activity associated with freestyle rap," Braun says.

When Liu and the other researchers examined the fMRI data, they found that, like the jazz musicians, the rappers' brains were paying less conscious attention to what was going on but had strong action in the area that motivates action and thought.

"Unlike the jazz study, these changes were very strongly associated with the left hemisphere of the brain," Braun says. That's the half of the brain where, for most right-handed people, language is processed.

The team also found a network of connections in the performers' brains during the freestyle raps, linking parts of the brain responsible for motivation, language, action and emotion.

And raps that were rated as more innovative correlated with more activity in the region of the brain that stores words. It's not surprising, says Braun, "that the more creative the rap, the more they're tapping the lexicon."

The study is part of a larger body of research that is hoping to determine what is happening inside the brain during the creative process. Braun says that he'd like to know more about what happens in the next phase of creativity, revision. He has recruited a group of poets for that study.
If you want to see the real published study that just came out today: http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/ ... 00834.html

Sylissez

Re: Rap Science

Post by Sylissez »

Just saw OME post this. Really cool. Got some genuine guffaws at the comments, too.

Good work, science, rappers.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

how do they get the pianos in the mri machine

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

AWAE wrote:how do they get the pianos in the mri machine
how does one build a ship in a bottle?

silence

Post by silence »

From my understanding they actually build keyboards specifically for the study. They had to have microphones and pianos with no metal because the MRI machine is a huge magnet

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

fuckin' magnets...

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

science is too tight

Versive

Post by Versive »

Woah, that's fucking awesome.

silence

Post by silence »

Another cool article, with some quotes...
http://news.discovery.com/human/brain-f ... 21115.html

In the worldwide cultural juggernaut that is hip-hop, it's widely understood that the spontaneous lyrical improvisation of freestyle rap is the genre's purest form of creation. More often than not, how well a rapper navigates this stream-of-conscious realm is the yardstick by which talent is measured.

But what's happening in the brain during this creative "flow" state? It's a question that researchers in the voice, speech and language branch of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) wanted to find out.

"Our interests were in the neural correlates of creativity," Dr. Siyuan Liu told Discovery News. Liu was lead researcher and one of the co-authors of a new study on the brain activity of freestyle rappers published in Scientific Report. "Previously we did a study on jazz musicians when they improvised the melodies. The other part of music is lyrics, so we thought it would be interesting to study the brain activity when the lyrics where improvised as well."

Four years ago, the publication of the jazz study caught the eye of Daniel Rizik-Baer, a hip-hop enthusiast and producer with a background in social work and community building through art and music.

BLOG: World's First Rock-and-Roll Song Identified

"As I read the study I thought that freestyle rapping would be a perfect fit, a better fit than the jazz improvisation for what the team at NIH was studying," said Rizik-Baer, an outreach director and production manager for the Levitt Pavilion Pasadena. So he emailed one of the study's co-authors, Dr. Allen Braun, chief of the NIDCD voice, speech, and language branch and pitched the idea. Four years in the making, that pitch has come to fruition with the publication of "Neural Correlates of Lyrical Improvisation: An fMRI Study of Freestyle Rap."
musicians
DNEWS VIDEO: MUSICIANS JAM FROM AFAR

"It's really a piece of a larger puzzle," said Braun, also a co-author on the study. "What is the hallmark of the creative process?"

Using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), Liu, Braun and the rest of the team scanned the brain of 12 freestyle rap artists as they rapped over an 8-bar musical track created by Rizik-Baer. Rappers were first tasked to improvise rhyming lyrics and rhythmic patterns. In a second trial, they performed a well-rehearsed set of memorized lyrics.

During the freestyle segment, researchers saw increased activity in the brain's medial prefrontal cortex but a decreased activity in the dorsolateral prefrontal region.

"The medial part of the frontal cortex plays a role in self motivation and the integration of information," said Liu. "On the other hand, we know that the lateral part of the frontal cortex actually plays a role in attention, self-monitoring and other executive functions."

BLOG: Top 20 Most Unusual 'RAP Star' Species

What this means is that freestylers enter a "flow" state, which researchers described as a "complete immersion in creative activity, typified by focused self-motivation, positive emotional valence and loss of self-consciousness." Their creative gate is wide open.

"It's the absence of attention," said Braun. "When the attention system is partially offline, you can just let things fly and let things come without critiquing, monitoring or judging them."

"It's almost like you're able to think faster," said Rizik-Baer, who was also credited as co-author of the study. "You're able to incorporate multiple perspectives without thinking about it."

Mike Eagle, another credited co-author and hip-hop artist in Los Angeles, says he feels relaxed in the flow state.

"I allow my body to feel the beat and keep the rhythm," he said. "Mentally, I am attempting to reorganize all the words that I know into the best possible combinations within the confines of the rhythm."

The study also showed that freestyling increases brain activity in the the perisylvian system (area of language production), the amygdala (area linked to emotion) and cingulate motor areas, all of which help Eagle and other freestylers achieve optimum fluidity.

"We think this freestyle improvisation, in itself, could be characterized by a big network linking together, combining motivation, language, action and emotion,” said Liu.

Braun says it's not so much that these systems are heightened, but that they're more tightly connected.

"These patterns suggest that they’re not monitoring or censoring so closely," he said. "So this may allow connections, novel ideas and novel associations to emerge more naturally without being cutoff.”

NEWS: Brain In A Dish Flies Plane

As for addressing the out-of-body experience that people often describe while immersed in this flow state, Braun and Liu said any evidence of that is purely speculative. However, increased brain activity in the medial prefrontal cortex and all along its mid-line does suggest that freestylers tap into the subconscious.

"There's literature that goes back to Benjamin Libet. It says the voluntary activity produced by, we think, this part of the brain occurs well before you’re consciously aware of that movement,” explained Braun. “There’s good evidence for that. The fact that we see very strong activation in this part of the brain is not inconsistent with the idea that freestyle rap may be organized outside of conscious experience.”

Next on the research team's agenda: looking at brain activity during the other half of the creative dichotomy.

"We think that the creative process can be divided into two phases. The first phase is the spontaneous and improvisatory phase," said Liu. "The second phase we call the revision or refinement phase" where "people try to adjust what they generated from the first phase and make it better.”

Liu's curiosity is simple: "What is happening in the second phase."

But for now, Rizik-Baer is just happy to see his idea come full circle and said the project's cross-cultural exchange was a true highlight.

“When a lot of people see hip-hop, they run the other direction," he said. "But Dr. Braun was open minded enough to look into it.”

Rizik-Baer said he and other rappers don't need academia or scientific studies to legitimize hip-hop or freestyling. However, that the study juxtaposed hip-hop's often negative portrayal in the media was a nice confirmation of freestyling's deeper, cognitive impact.

“To put it bluntly, this culture and art form that is perpetuated, for the most part, by young African-American males, has a highly intellectual component to it that really shows large, complex levels of brain activity," he said. "To me that was important.

“It’s about moving beyond the limitations that we place on ourselves. That’s a big part of creativity -- not letting social pressures or thoughts of what’s right or wrong dictate what we’re doing. It’s letting go of those chains and allowing our brain to be free.”

Tags: Brain and Central Nervous System, Music

silence

Post by silence »

oh and Image

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

NO MIKE DON'T GO IN THE ROBOT BUTTHOLE NOOOOOOO

this is really cool stuff though, props to you guys
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Shit was on NPR today.

OME is the most studied person in the history of hiphop.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

PopeyeJones wrote:Shit was on NPR today.

OME is the most studied person in the history of hiphop.
:ff:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

It was a great experience. And s/o to Mike and Silence for having me involved.

That was something I wish I could've done full time for a while. Just sitting there freestyling back and forth with emcees while the scientists observed us. The whole lay out of the project was crazy. I will say, if you are not a skinny muthafucka, that machine was not comfortable. LOL.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Versive

Post by Versive »

Reading the study and making heads or tails of what little I could really made me want to hear the freestyles themselves. What's good with a brainwave audio multimedia presentation?

silence

Post by silence »

I have every one. But I can't post them.

I'll do phila exclusive listening sessions

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

please pick the best ones. i freestyled during those sessions and after all was fucking up from doing it so long. :lol:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Versive

Post by Versive »

silence wrote:I have every one. But I can't post them.

I'll do phila exclusive listening sessions
word, assuming the artists OK it, plese do