Public Enemy vs. Pete Rock and CL Smooth in concert

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Public Enemy vs. Pete Rock and CL Smooth in concert

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

http://www.connectdadot.com/2012/11/12/ ... lic-enemy/
...CL then inquired: “yeah, wasn’t the basement crazy back then? Who came thru?”

Pete Rock answered: “The basement back in the days? Fuckin LL Cool J, Shaquille O’Neal, Fresh Prince, Father MC, Big Daddy Kane, Biz Markie, Redman, Erick Sermon, Parrish Smith… all been to my house! Rakim! Nas! By the way, go pick that Nas shit up… now I want to do something special. I want to say rest in peace to my cousin Heavy D and to my brother Trouble T-Roy.”

The moment we’ve all been waiting for. It was here, and it felt just so beautiful to experience in a crowd of nearly a thousand hip hop heads from across the 20 years this song has existed on this planet. An unparalleled moment of rap magic happened next. The original sample for “They Reminisce For You” came on, the Tom Scott cover of “Today” by Jefferson Airplane, and the crowd started feeling the sensation of something special creeping over, around, and into their entire collective mind, body and soul. The understated, somber and sacred sounds of “T.R.O.Y.” began to become clear to our ears, and we all knew exactly just what time it was.

Suddenly, Pete Rock stops the record and says “Everybody sing along! Da da dada dada da dah-dah!” to which the crowd obey and plays that supreme saxophone solo with their mouth, in unison. You know how it goes, but you have never seen this many people sing it together, with so much enthusiasm. The first horn comes in. The chorus melody comes on. The beat drops. And they performed the entire song like a prayer to the pasttime greats. With timeless perfection, CL Smooth started it off with the words that we all know by heart: “I reminisce for a spell, or shall I say think back…” precisely as it should be performed. I’m sure some people were crying while this all was happening. I feel tears of joy just remembering this concert moment. For the hook, Pete Rock would demand: “say T to the R-O-Y!” and everyone would. All three verses were given to us, it was nothing short of everything we all dreamed for. As well as a bonus flourish, when CL says “Pete Rock hit me! Nuff respect due” and Pete sliced it up three times, it was electrifying. And it all felt marvelous. They took it to the heart-warming outro, and beyond: “Never be another, he was my brother… Trouble T-Roy. And you don’t stop.” The sobering fact that both Heavy D and Trouble T-Roy are both kickstepping and breakdancing in the mysterious next dimension after life makes moments like this infinitely more priceless, precious and pure beyond all expression except inside the music itself. And being in the audience of that creative moment is an experience worth remembering forever and sharing with all special friends who care about the golden eras of our artform.

The rapping ended there, the show was done and well done. It could have ended there, but Pete Rock decided to bless Toronto with a few of the records he produced over the years, as well as deliver a nice serving of other hip hop classics as he manned the turntables as the brimming with bliss listeners ushered themselves out of the event.

Thank you to Pete Rock and CL Smooth for peforming all of Mecca and the Soul Brother for Toronto. It was hip hop heaven circa 1992, and thank you for taking us back there. Would it be too much to ask for you two to do The Main Ingredient in its entirety in 2013? Just let us know.

Now, the Public Enemy concert that happened on the same stage a couple weeks later? Compellingly promoted as It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back in its entirety? In comparison, this show was a beautiful beast of an entirely different breed.

continued here: http://www.connectdadot.com/2012/11/12/ ... lic-enemy/
:bow: :bow:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sun ra
Wifey Material

Re: Public Enemy vs. Pete Rock and CL Smooth in concert

Post by sun ra »

This touched me. Thanks for posting, Mindbender.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

And MB makes its creepy, perverted, emoticon-laden response in 3....2.....

PEACE

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

dope. looks like i should check out a PE show in the future.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

sun ra wrote:This touched me. Thanks for posting, Mindbender.
you're welcome. i appreciate you reading it. it's a labor of love for true school heads.

forget everyone else. hip hop culture is for those who cherish it.
sleazy_j wrote:dope. looks like i should check out a PE show in the future.
sadly, there might not be any Flavor Flav hype man action anytime soon... maybe for the next 6 years?

this is why I take nothing for granted. I never saw Heavy D.

peace
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Oh yeah: there was a HUGE Public Enemy logo in target up in the air overlooking the stage. Proper.

I came from the back of the venue, running to the front through the masses of golden era hip hop heads, just in time to hear a very healthy-looking Chuck D confess: “That was the first time we ever did ‘Louder than a Bomb’ first! But we ain’t doing it chronologically. We only do that on the 20th or 25th Anniversary of the record! And I know someone’s gonna be blogging and complaining…” then Chuck puts on his white and nerdy voice, talking about how critics are going to pick apart his show when writing on the internet the next day, and he sounded HILARIOUS. “We’re gonna be up here ALL NIGHT. Y’all alright with that?”

Toronto roars in anticipating approval.

“Rebel Without A Pause” comes shrieking through the Cerwin-Vegas. It is forever raw.

Flavor Flav then gives some shoutouts. “Torontooooooo! On the behalf of my partner Chuck D, myself: Flavor Flav, we can’t forget the original DJ Terminator X! Professor Griff! DJ Lord. My S1W’s, my band… On a personal note, from Flavor Flav to you – for all those who have ever supported my second job, which is reality television…” to which there was an audible mix of cheers and jeers. ” I just want to thank y’all for making Flavor Flav the #1 reality TV star of the decade! And I promise you: TONIGHT, YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY’S WORTH. Are y’all ready to get started now?”

Eruption.

Flav’s “first test” consisted of saying “Ohhh!” to which everyone responded in kind. But next, he said: “Let’s see if y’all can keep up with this one, heh heh heh…”, and Flavor Flav proceeded to express from the depts of his apparently elephantine lungs, the SINGLE, LONGEST SOLITARY SHOUT I have ever heard one human being express out of their mouth, in my entire life. Ever. It must have been around 45-seconds-long, this unbroken scream, I swear to you. Then he said “y’all do it!” and everyone burst out laughing, and shouting, for as loud as their cigarette- and marijuana-shrivelled lungs could muster… but it certainly wasn’t on Flav’s level. There are many, many, many reasons why artists of this caliber are called legends; we’ve just been taught another reason. And having everyone shout out a “YEEEEEEAH BOYEEEEE!!!”, then a had everyone’s heart bellow out a “FLAVERRRRR FLAAAAYVE!” for good measure.

Boom. Straight into “9/11 Is A Joke” with Chuck D as hypeman, and jumping to the beat, which is something that rap songs don’t inspire like they used to. “Late 911 wears the late crown!”

KA-BOOM! “Welcome to the Terrordome”. Holy fucking shit. A sacred swarm of sound and soul came thundering out of Chuck’s chest, and it perfectly matched the magma of that well-known riotstarter. The controversial killer tune crushed weak motherfuckers yet again with its paranoid percussion poisoning the unrighteous with pure poetic power. “Hear the drummer get wicked!” is not only a line from that song, but it’s what happened after the crowd participation. Perfectly in sync with the DJ, Public Enemy transitioned out of the vinyl instrumental into the drum solo without dropping one snare out of place. Rock and roll greatness in the form of hip hop. Davey “DMX” on the bass came in next, tickling the instrument like a man who has cradled a baby bottom-ender to his belly for the past 30 years. With hands clapping to the tight-ass drumming and then the groovy funk of Davey bringing in the bassline from “Rapper’s Delight”, Chuck D began playing the role of Wonder Mike perfectly, inviting DJ Lord to cut up the vocal sample from “Good Times” in the mix… and sprinkling it on top with some guitar shredding from Tennessee on guitar. This seamless transition between players, instruments, eras, cover songs, original studio songs, and live jam session was another piece of evidence that PE is one of the best damn bands on the motherfucking planet, regardless of genre of music.

And how Chuck brought back the third verse of “Welcome to the Terrordome” to shut it down after the sideman showcase segue? Masterwork. Oh, and how did Flavor Flav get the bass guitar? Furthermore, did you know he was so fucking good with it? A shower of surprises continued to be offered by this Public Enemy show, another of which was the STUNNINGLY HIGH ENERGY of Chuck D. There are 21 year olds who are not as limber and agile as he is, trust me. Before he ended the song, while Flav was still freshly noodling around on the bass, Chuck slipped this in the mix: “It ain’t Soulja Boy, no offense. It ain’t hating on black people. No disrespect.” Fair enough. Hip hop and its impact on the internet certainly could use a bit more Public Enemy and Saigon and a little less Lil Mouse and Chief Keef. But, I digress.
there's more

Thun

Post by Thun »

Great write up.

"All the honeydips admire." :gyeah:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Thun wrote:Great write up.

"All the honeydips admire." :gyeah:
Et tu, Brutus? :rofl:

:smugkid:

Praise from Caesar.

:borksign:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

the PE show sounds awesome. when was it? i always miss out on this shit....
Then oddly, Pete asked if Montreal or Quebec was in the house, which got obvious separatist boos.
lol at toronto booing mtl. they're so negative about every other city. last playoffs my buddy was going ham cheering the canucks at a bar & this table full of fagz starts booing him.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

As usual, your passion for hip hop culture bleeds through in every word of this article. Fucking LONG, but well-written. Probably one of the better pieces of yours that I have read. You also have a crazy memory unless you were taking notes during the concert (I doubt you were, though :lol: ).

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

There will be a time where people realize the value of documenting our culture with as much love and respect as possible.

For me, that time is always now.

thanks for reading.

(I have a simple trick for memorizing, but... :gyeah: . I was not taking notes. I aM CrAzY, and I have a good memory for moments I love)

I sent it to Chuck D and Pete Rock. Hope they dig it.