Mac Miller has to pay Lord Finesse $10 Million from lawsuit

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Random Sample

Mac Miller has to pay Lord Finesse $10 Million from lawsuit

Post by Random Sample »

http://www.ology.com/post/250418/mac-mi ... za-lawsuit
Well, I didn't necessarily see things coming to this, but court reports are showing that Mac Miller has made an official settlement with Lord Finesse over the lawsuit filed for his rip of the hip-hop legend's instrumentals on "Hip 2 Da Game" resulting from the release of "Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza" stemming back to last year.

According to court records, Pittsburgh's most hideous doled out a hefty $10 million for his illegal distribution, music video production and public performance of the song, as was decided in a hearing in company of U.S. Magistrate Judge Henry B. Pitman for the Southern District of New York on December 6, 2012. [HipHopDX]

Both Miller and Lord Finesse have yet to release comments on the matter, which isn't surprising at this point, but it is official that the money has been traded, or, at least, is set to be. Lesson learned: don't borrow from a classic unless you've been approved.
I think it is a little excessive. Lord Finesse never came close to making $10 Mil himself. I hope every uncleared sample he ever used goes to court and sues him back.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Mac Miller has to pay Lord Finesse $10 Million from laws

Post by Employee »

:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

This should be a lesson and the judgement should be framed and handed down to every retard under the age of twenty-one with an internet connection and rap aspirations.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

how the fuck does mac miller have 10 million to give
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

drizzle wrote:how the fuck does mac miller have 10 million to give
I just saw him on a Mt. Dew commercial with Lil Wayne last week. Kids fucking love that dude.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Looks like Finesse was pretty hip to the game after all.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Impressive that he was able to settle for that much. I wouldn't have been that surprised if a judge ordered he pay that amount, but the fact that he settled for it, clearly his legal team thought there was exposure for him to have to pay an even larger amount in damages. Kind of wild. As for 10 million, well Mac has money from his deal I'm sure, money from touring, and then advertisements, endorsements, etc.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

$10 million? WTF... I know Mac Miller must have made a bit of money from his 15 minutes of fame, but enough to throw away $10 million like that? That seems like an insanely large chunk of cash, unless I'm completely out of touch and spent too much time reading about starving artists who barely make enough to get by.

step one

Post by step one »

he wont have $10 mill.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

he has 6.5 according to forbes

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eeel45jj ... million-2/

he has a deal with an indie label that might have major distribution, but he definitely never got a huge check from a huge label. that's kinda the moral of his success story
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Versive

Post by Versive »

no fucking way.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

no way this happens. maybe 1 but not 10.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Also Finesse is a hypocrite looking for a quick check so he doesn't have to work for a living. This is like Premier suing somebody for sampling Mass Appeal.

GentleJonesReturns

Post by GentleJonesReturns »

out of court settlement is not published. $10 mil was the suit, not the settlement. some faulty journalism.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

De La War wrote:out of court settlement is not published. $10 mil was the suit, not the settlement. some faulty journalism.
makes more sense. Wouldn't make any sense to settle for more than your net worth.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

1.2M settlement, after fees he walks away with $560,000 which should last him approximately two years living his lifestyle in the tri-state.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Random Sample wrote:
drizzle wrote:how the fuck does mac miller have 10 million to give
I just saw him on a Mt. Dew commercial with Lil Wayne last week. Kids fucking love that dude.
for real. :naswtf: :bunk:
ardamus wrote:Looks like Finesse was pretty hip to the game after all.
for the win

:copy: :sy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

drizzle wrote:He has six and a half according to Forbes.
That's what he made last year, not his total net worth.

Interesting to see if / how this changes the mixtape game.

Kace

Post by Kace »

Better change his name to Mac 10 Mill now.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Maybe Finesse can now get his teeth fixed.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Mac is the one that needs his teeth fixed.

foobar

Post by foobar »

Well played I guess

foobar

Post by foobar »

PopsUK wrote:$10 million? WTF... I know Mac Miller must have made a bit of money from his 15 minutes of fame, but enough to throw away $10 million like that? That seems like an insanely large chunk of cash, unless I'm completely out of touch and spent too much time reading about starving artists who barely make enough to get by.
:lol:

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

didnt he sue him cause he straight up used his entire song? and made a vid for it? and got famous off it?

i drank devils advocate sauce tonite

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
De La War wrote:out of court settlement is not published. $10 mil was the suit, not the settlement. some faulty journalism.
makes more sense. Wouldn't make any sense to settle for more than your net worth.
All reports say it was settled without going to trial, which means they would have reached an agreeable figure. Mac Miller commented in this piece from Complex:

"I'm actually legally not allowed to say anything about what happened. Other than that it's been resolved and we didn't go to [trial]. If that was really a problem, people would be getting sued left and right."

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/01/ma ... on-lawsuit

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Philaflava wrote:Also Finesse is a hypocrite looking for a quick check so he doesn't have to work for a living. This is like Premier suing somebody for sampling Mass Appeal.
You're an idiot. Or you're being dense on purpose. Either way, you're a daft cunt for making such a ridiculous statement.

For the record, I've never sat & listened to Mac Miller, and I've only once heard a song of his (only for a few seconds) and it was the joint he did on LF's beat. I recognized the beat instantly, but since it wasn't the original 'Nesse song, I had my boy change it. I only ever heard a few seconds of Miller's version, but I believe nothing was sampled, it was the official H2DG instrumental. Miller just two-tracked that shit, not like he sampled the song or used the same sample. He used the exact same beat, which is fine if you're not making money off it, but as far as I know, this song was the foundation for Miller's success and duke who made the beat doesn't get anything out of it? That's a kinda fucked up deal. Not to mention that 'Nesse deserves this shit, not just cause his product made another pasteoid rich in rap, but because LF actually makes good music (when he is making it).

This whole backlash on 'Nesse reminds me of a few years ago back when 50 signed the Mobb to G-Unit & everyone was bitch that they sold-out and dah dah. But truthfully, they deserved to be on a major (or signed by the at-the-time most popular rapper) and they deserved to be making that same kinda cash or at least the opportunity to make it, just based on their past output.

Same shit with Finesse, while $10 mill seems excessive, he sure as fuck deserves it more than Mac Miller.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

the mind set of these fools that make these comments towards me...such hatred in their hearts too.

GentleJonesReturns

Post by GentleJonesReturns »

Philaflava wrote:1.2M settlement, after fees he walks away with $560,000 which should last him approximately two years living his lifestyle in the tri-state.
basically

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

KITFUNK wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Also Finesse is a hypocrite looking for a quick check so he doesn't have to work for a living. This is like Premier suing somebody for sampling Mass Appeal.
You're an idiot. Or you're being dense on purpose. Either way, you're a daft cunt for making such a ridiculous statement.

For the record, I've never sat & listened to Mac Miller, and I've only once heard a song of his (only for a few seconds) and it was the joint he did on LF's beat. I recognized the beat instantly, but since it wasn't the original 'Nesse song, I had my boy change it. I only ever heard a few seconds of Miller's version, but I believe nothing was sampled, it was the official H2DG instrumental. Miller just two-tracked that shit, not like he sampled the song or used the same sample. He used the exact same beat, which is fine if you're not making money off it, but as far as I know, this song was the foundation for Miller's success and duke who made the beat doesn't get anything out of it? That's a kinda fucked up deal. Not to mention that 'Nesse deserves this shit, not just cause his product made another pasteoid rich in rap, but because LF actually makes good music (when he is making it).

This whole backlash on 'Nesse reminds me of a few years ago back when 50 signed the Mobb to G-Unit & everyone was bitch that they sold-out and dah dah. But truthfully, they deserved to be on a major (or signed by the at-the-time most popular rapper) and they deserved to be making that same kinda cash or at least the opportunity to make it, just based on their past output.

Same shit with Finesse, while $10 mill seems excessive, he sure as fuck deserves it more than Mac Miller.
i thought it was on a free mixtape tho

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

is it confirmed that finesse never cleared the oscar peterson sample? it was an album on penalty records in 1996 - a label which was started by tom silverman of tommy boy. i would think they would be clearing samples on a record like that, no?
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Versive

Post by Versive »

I knew it. The lack of fact-checking that goes on these days is fucking sickening, and that's coming from someone who never took a journalism class in his life. (Well, there was one in high school, but still...)
Philaflava wrote:1.2M settlement, after fees he walks away with $560,000 which should last him approximately two years living his lifestyle in the tri-state.
Is Lord Finesse living particularly extravagently?