Lil Ugly Mane 2013 thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ackbar
Super Canadian

Re: Lil Ugly Mane 2013 thread

Post by ackbar »

it's dope. "collapse and appear" is a highlight for me but there's a lot of good stuff on here. need to listen to it a few more times
it'll definitely go over more with fans of rappers like el-p than rappers like skinny pimp.. but it's not like LUM has ever been anything but a white art kid making underground rap anyways

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

"grave within a grave" as well

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i think his voice sounds a little ras kass tbh

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

album is very good - dig it alot..... last track is crazy

Versive

Post by Versive »

Shit's weird af. He gave the best he ever wrote to a computer.
I fuck with it obviously

DLG

Post by DLG »

eh I don't know.

the updated memphis underground white guy devil shit was much better than this.

I feel like I'm listening to some average def jux/anticon wannabe shit from 2001.

It has its moments, but it's kind of annoying at the same time.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

not that it was premeditated, but there's no way you'd get so many people's attention for an album like this without actually putting out some decent music prior.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I think it could've been premeditated. And though it's easy to compare it to def jux/anticon, it's thematically and sonically much darker than anything either of those labels ever put out. I do get the complaint that it's essentially a hampton roads suburbanite whining that life is bullshit and rap sucks...if anyone has said that yet.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

he might be somewhat, but there's proof of him being involved with artsier people and other musical styles.
i think dude probably spent more time with squatters than chilling in cul de sacs.

i just noticed that the epitaph on the cover of "Criminal Hypnosis" says RIP HMAN RAP GAME on it, which considering that
came out before MTI, the switch up was definitely in the works.

also, reading Clowns N Browns and seeing the original art piece that the Playaz Circle album cover derived from (tied up naked white dude to a door with his dick hanging out, and a person on the floor tied up) goes to show that even though that album was all about portraying a gangster rapping skeleton, or something, he was also on some weird art shit at the time.

i wish i could remember the name of that one outsider he quoted when he had his first attempt at a facebook exodus, when he wanted to just communicate through the mail.

either way, "Slugs" is my jam and I'm glad he made and released that.

also, at least any time he mentions his disdain for rap or music in general it just comes off way more interesting than most of these old school rappers making songs about how they hate current rap.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I just take issue with rappers taking the stance that rap is wack, and Ugly seems to go even further basically calling it a lower art form. I dig this album a lot. I take no issue with weirdo artsy shit at all. I even enjoy his work as Sex of Difference. Dude just come across like an asshole, if this is his grand artistic statement, sold for over $100. I aint buying this shit.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Listened to it a bunch over the weekend, and it's definitely good after you get passed the initial wtf moment.

If you're going to look at it objectively, his rapping is much better when he's being himself than when he's rapping in the role of some fictitious three six mafia affiliate. Even though that whole steeze is way more fun to me as a listener and something that I can bump on the regular, as opposed to this weird/moody stuff which demands more attention.

if you take it face value, shit is really tight. It takes me back to that Fantastic Damage type production that's really noisy, dense and dark, which is probably my favorite production style of all time. So in that regard, this shit is better to me both production and rapping-wise than anything El has done since ISWYD.

And I really don't hear any disdain towards rap in his shit. To me, his message is "it's just music/art, stop taking yourselves so seriously."

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Versive wrote:if this is his grand artistic statement, sold for over $100. I aint buying this shit.
hah. the album is "name your own price" and is even streaming on bandcamp and on his soundcloud.

all his previous work has been "name your own price" or free, except for that Dale Krueger and the Missing Felicitys Thug Isolation Suite single he jokingly
had listed for $300 for a few months back in 2012.

he even once shouted out youtube user TrillPhonk for uploading his music to youtube the same day he released it. ugly didn't care.

the high priced box set isn't really high priced considering the DIY work put into it, but also that encompasses more than just the final album.
the consumer is paying for reissues on vinyl and cassette, too.

i didn't buy the box set, i didn't mess with the ebay pre-orders that went over $1000. that's just other people in society.
i'm sure even ugly mane wouldn't blow money on his favorite artist like that, either.

people talk about how vinyl sales are doing so well nowadays, but i think the majority of vinyl buyers are just collecters.

interesting though is how overly social Ugly has been on facebook updating photos of their shipping process, which looks insane.
Last edited by sleazy_j on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

DLG wrote:
And I really don't hear any disdain towards rap in his shit. To me, his message is "it's just music/art, stop taking yourselves so seriously."
which is way better than rapping about rap, as rappers have done.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the box set isn't expensive at all for four LPs and four cassettes.
i also don't think the themes are any darker than music released on anticon/def jux. there's lots of songs on those labels about depression, addiction, death, love, etc.

DLG

Post by DLG »

reading comments on social media, it seems like most LUM fans haven't heard much other rap

Versive

Post by Versive »

isn't there a line on here to the effect of: "of course i'm the best rapper alive, i'm a giant, all other rappers are midgets, hip-hop is not art, it's bullshit"? Obviously I'm paraphrasing but he said something like that, which got my panties in a bunch.

I downloaded it name your price and like i said, I love the album.

He also says, at some point, "sex has never given me an ounce of satisfaction," which pretty fucking dark, though I'll admit I'm not familiar with the lyrics of most Anticon artists.

If I had the money to throw around, I'd buy the box set. Album's great, because it makes me angry, sad and happy. My emotions are a whirlwind. Thank you Lil Ugly Mane. I'll gladly join your death cult.
DLG wrote:reading comments on social media, it seems like most LUM fans haven't heard much other rap
Not the least bit surprised and that's probably how he likes it.

Can we talk about how dope the computer-voice verse is?

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Pretty cool album. "Slugs" and "Grave Within A Grave" stand out immediately amongst others. Those noise interludes broke my ears

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Lil Ugly Mane, Antwon, Wiki - Get It (prod. Shawn Kemp)

https://soundcloud.com/user-923145623/get-it-secret-circle-teaser

DLG

Post by DLG »

LUM went in

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

more of this shit needs to go down.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

that was dope.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Wiki is whatever to me but LUM and Antwon has always been a great combo
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DLG

Post by DLG »

thanks bro

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

https://thunderzone.merchtable.com/musi ... ix-7-tz045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he remixed some music from some group juiceboxxx put out. haven't heard any of this (the group, the single, the remix)

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

ANTWON - Amazon Wishlist - PRODUCED BY SHAWN KEMP FEATURING LIL UGLY MANE

https://soundcloud.com/officialantwon/a ... ruff-final" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

DLG

Post by DLG »

I think despot dropped a hint on twitter about some type of collab with SC

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

https://www.facebook.com/hamoneverythin ... 7777635767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;