What older artists should have a viable resurgance?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Piff Tannen

What older artists should have a viable resurgance?

Post by Piff Tannen »

Does anyone ever think about this? What older artists could probably have a nice second wind if they made the right moves?

i feel like there's a good amount of folks this would apply to, but IMO, no one more than Redman. he just needs to stop messin with his gilla house cronies and get some help picking dope beats

who else would fit?

step one

Re: What older artists should have a viable resurgance?

Post by step one »

Jay Z
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Ja Rule - although, probably not. he put out some really good 'radio' records post-downfall that no one cared about.

Slick Rick - obvious.

Cam'ron - he'll never get his shit together, though. Dipset could have been so much more than it was.

Juelz - ditto

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Naughty by nature proved they're still credible on "I Gotta Lotta" but their comeback album sucked. just need some better production. Treach is still a badman

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Agree on Redman, he could be having the same kind of moment as Juicy J is having right now if he played his cards right, but unfortunately he probably wont.

I got fingers crossed for Ghost with this Adriane Young thing

Prodigy could be a good candidate to re-invent himself if he takes some ques from AG and Roc Marci, but that probably wont happen either.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

drizzle wrote:Agree on Redman, he could be having the same kind of moment as Juicy J is having right now if he played his cards right, but unfortunately he probably wont.
:killacam:

DLG

Post by DLG »

drizzle wrote:Agree on Redman, he could be having the same kind of moment as Juicy J is having right now if he played his cards right, but unfortunately he probably wont.
juicy had a resurgence only because kids are into that old 3-6 style now, I don't see the kind of stuff redman is known for becoming retro-hip and time soon.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

DLG wrote:
juicy had a resurgence only because kids are into that old 3-6 style now, I don't see the kind of stuff redman is known for becoming retro-hip and time soon.
i dunno man, his muddy waters type shit i think would be a good fit for kids out here who are into those Smoker's Club tours and shit. and the kids got back into the juicy j, 3 6 type stuff cus of his affiliation with wiz khalifa, and prolly cats like lil ugly mane and SGP comin out, right?

plus the kids these days really love them the tweeds

im just sayin, he might be able to swing something. plus, hes pretty much universally loved
Last edited by Piff Tannen on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

DLG wrote:
are you kidding? NY is overflowing with young rappers that are all about 90s fetishism and weed/psychedelic raps. Groups like Flatbush Zombies wouldn't exist without Redman. And it's not just a local thing either.

step one

Post by step one »

Redman can rhyme over pretty much anything though so he could easily adapt to "new" beats without really changing his content.

I'd like to see Black Rob do something along the lines of Roc Marciano - signing with Duck Down wasnt the move. Backpackers didnt really like him like that due to the Bad Boy association
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Definitely Slick Rick.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

:leon:

can we get a version of this emoticon with leons head on larry too, for when two niggas agree? peace to ardamus

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

master p seems like a realistic option

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

:wutang:

DLG

Post by DLG »

drizzle wrote:
DLG wrote:
are you kidding? NY is overflowing with young rappers that are all about 90s fetishism and weed/psychedelic raps. Groups like Flatbush Zombies wouldn't exist without Redman. And it's not just a local thing either.
that's true, but I don't see it being embraced on such a large scale. I don't see Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers getting ASAP Rocky level fame/notoriety/deals.

The highest level of "comeback" old heads can get these days without a co-sign from someone hip is what roc marciano is doing now. Juicy J would not have gotten buzz and attention from the kidz as much if he wasn't being co-signed by all the young rappers and doing songs with kreyshawn, riff raff and whoever else to maintain blog visibility.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

ackbar wrote:master p seems like a realistic option
This.
Especially since motherfuckers who can't rap for shit is all the rage.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
ackbar wrote:master p seems like a realistic option
This.
Especially since motherfuckers who can't rap for shit is all the rage.

Juan just set off the revisionist blogger batman signal!

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

master p showing up on asap rocky's debut (or at least a remix) would be about the least surprising move ever. so i def wouldn't count it out

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

DLG wrote:
drizzle wrote:
DLG wrote:
that's true, but I don't see it being embraced on such a large scale. I don't see Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers getting ASAP Rocky level fame/notoriety/deals.

The highest level of "comeback" old heads can get these days without a co-sign from someone hip is what roc marciano is doing now. Juicy J would not have gotten buzz and attention from the kidz as much if he wasn't being co-signed by all the young rappers and doing songs with kreyshawn, riff raff and whoever else to maintain blog visibility.
Actually, J's resurgence started when he started doing shit with Lex Luger (more or less), and the first Rubba Band business mixtape didn't have any prominent 'buzzing' kids on it. The collabs came later. Hook Redman up with a similarly viable producer (Alchemist would be a perfect fit), and he's got a shot. And from there it's not that hard to imagine somebody like Curren$y or Gibbs or Bronson or Exquire getting on board.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i do think juicy j may be a smarter business man than redman

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

P is trying hard. He signed that Chicago group who put out the cool video with masks and bats and shit and is totally aware of what is bubbling.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

DLG wrote:juicy had a resurgence only because kids are into that old 3-6 style now
but he's rapping over trap beats, so it's not to say that he's involving himself with re-visiting his old styles.
blastmaster wrote:P is trying hard. He signed that Chicago group who put out the cool video with masks and bats and shit and is totally aware of what is bubbling.
he even tried to do a Cheif Keef track.

isn't Onyx trying to make a comeback?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

LL has one more run in him too.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I had faith for many years that Kane was going to make this happen for himself. Almost everything he dropped after Veteranz Day was heat... unfortunately I think he's missed his window since 80's revivalism has finally been replaced by 90's revivalism (and mainly late 90's revivalism at this point). Still he could done a great EP with the right production in the mid-00's. Shame.

In general though I just think this shit is hard to predict. It's usually the random dudes who were always nice, but decide to completely reinvent themselves and probably went dark for a few years and then come out revitalized.

On a slightly different note, while I don't think he'll 'blow up' or anything, I'm definitely interested to hear what Cryptic One has been cooking up, as he's about to start unleashing some unreleased stuff and some new stuff soon.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

Versive wrote:Image
Agree. The rap game needs more Breeze... and mor of him:
He already has that trendy Raiders apparel thing going.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Buncha trendy revitalists up in hea.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Re : Percy Miller - he's signed Fat Trel to the new No Limit recently too.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

scaramanga is supposed to have an album out in december

probably wont happen

Versive

Post by Versive »

Word, mind if I ask where you heard that?