Macklemore - White Privlege song / article on "indie rise"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Macklemore - White Privlege song / article on "indie rise"

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

http://raprehab.com/macklemores-indie-r ... white-lie/
In the music industry what sounds like a great story is often just great fiction.

Indie, defined by Merriam Webster Dictionary: Indie is one that is independent; especially: an unaffiliated record or motion-picture production company.

For decades, indie artists have had little to no success at securing Top 40 or Rhythmic radio airplay. The secret marriage that co-exists between radio and the major labels, for decades has stifled independent artists. The case for Macklemore is no exception.

This article’s is to clear up misconceptions about Macklemore recent so called “independent” success: The single “Thrift Shop (Featuring Wanz)” has been certified platinum and viewed 82 million times on YouTube, the album The Heist, which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard charts after selling 78,000 copies in October, has been accompanied by sold out tours and by all means is a great project.

The long Macklemore career growth and stragtegies are more than admirable. It’s what every artist strives to attain. But it’s almost impossible for anyone trying to get into the business especially when numerous outlets are reporting Macklemore’s “independent success.” Outsiders think it’s easy. But you do not have commercial success without spending major dollars. Period.There are a ton of articles written about Macklemore being independent.

“Thrift Shop” is seemingly a hit everywhere – except radio stations that specialize in rap, that is, writes Gary Trust for Billboard.

A Hip Hop record without Urban radio airplay? The truth is and will always be majors will always put money into the hands of radio programmers. The unique difference is the case of Macklemore is “Thrift Shop” went Pop not Urban. Payola, continues to be the music industries little secret. Without it Indie artists have no chance to rise up the charts to prominence. History is living proof and Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” is no exception.

Only promotional dollars can give you access to a radio audience of over 200 million people like Macklemore has received. That’s the only way you sell 2.7 million singles and 312,000 albums. Being white in Hip Hop makes it easier than being black in Hip Hop, these days. There’s a reason why ADA, Alternative Distribution Alliance signed them up. A talented white Hip Hop artist is hard to find these days. Eminem, Mac Miller, Yelawolf and Machine Gun Kelly, are in a rare class of a watered down genre of commercially mainstream artists. White people love Hip Hop and are the bulk of the purchasers in the digital download era. Macklemore, is a sonically pure to the art form and a familiar face to white people who love Hip Hop.
continued on site

[youtube]gdVRlM-kSx8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVRlM-k ... r_embedded

I will NEVER like a Macklemore song more than I like and respect this one. (trying to embed, sorry)

White people in hip hop will always need to do a LOT of studying and learning and be very self-aware of what they are contributing and creating. Sorry, not my fault or yours. Hip hop can't go the way of rock and roll in the next few decades. Rock and Roll had lots of Black people in the 50's... but now? :killacam:

rap is outta control.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sylissez

Re: Macklemore - White Privlege song / article on "indie ris

Post by Sylissez »

Listened to about the first 50 seconds of the song but it was just too 2002 "check out my deepness yo" styleee for me. Not that I disagree with what (presumably) is his point. It's just that it's been covered by so many people already is there really anything new to add to the discussion?

Also, MB, there are plenty black people in rock today.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Sylissez wrote:Listened to about the first 50 seconds of the song but it was just too 2002 "check out my deepness yo" styleee for me. Not that I disagree with what (presumably) is his point. It's just that it's been covered by so many people already is there really anything new to add to the discussion?
the song is 7 or 8 years old

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

free banner ads to whoever puts a bullet in this dudes dome.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

ackbar wrote:
Sylissez wrote:Listened to about the first 50 seconds of the song but it was just too 2002 "check out my deepness yo" styleee for me. Not that I disagree with what (presumably) is his point. It's just that it's been covered by so many people already is there really anything new to add to the discussion?
the song is 7 or 8 years old
And the puzzle is complete.

:lock:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:free banner ads to whoever puts a bullet in this dudes dome.

:rofl:

NO PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE LIFETIME BANNER LOVE TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO GOES D.O.C. ON MAC MILLER'S VOCAL CHORDS

Mac Miller is WAAAY more smug, smarmy, stupid, fratboy-ish, LESS LYRICALLY LYRICAL, more of an outsider following trends than a leader following his heart, and fucking atrocious as a direction that hip hop is going in

Also, MB, there are plenty black people in rock today.
there's Black people in rock, sure. :rockout:

what percentage of all rock music is black folks? :killacam:

I think it would be generous to say TEN percent ... :fail:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

White ppl who were born & raised in America like Mac Miller, Mackelmore and HustleCrowe have more right to make teh hip hop muzik than outsider foreign Canadian faggetz like Mindbender.

You can't even be a real black person if you come from Canada, can you?

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
White people in hip hop will always need to do a LOT of studying and learning and be very self-aware of what they are contributing and creating. Sorry, not my fault or yours. Hip hop can't go the way of rock and roll in the next few decades.
This might have been a valid point in 1992 but the events of the last few years have basically made it open season. If faggots like Drake can get a pass then whats the point of a 19 year old white kid learning about Paul C and X Clan in an effort to appear more authentic? Audiences stopped giving a fuck about that kind of thing along time ago.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

i've heard this song before. my theory is that hip hop is way too black to ever be co-opted by white people. i mean they can try but i don't think they're ever gonna pull it off.
illegal mind shoe lace

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

step one wrote:
White people in hip hop will always need to do a LOT of studying and learning and be very self-aware of what they are contributing and creating. Sorry, not my fault or yours. Hip hop can't go the way of rock and roll in the next few decades.
This might have been a valid point in 1992 but the events of the last few years have basically made it open season. If faggots like Drake can get a pass then whats the point of a 19 year old white kid learning about Paul C and X Clan in an effort to appear more authentic? Audiences stopped giving a fuck about that kind of thing along time ago.
THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T MATTER.

I'M GOING TO MY FUCKING -GRAVE- TEACHING MOTHERFUCKERS BLACK MUSIC HISTORY, POTNA

and fuck your ignorance cause Drake still isn't white. sure he may be RICH but he's still got BLACK in him, therefore on this planet, his life won't be as easy as if he had the exact same everything he has now, except he was 100% white. FACT. Sorry, not my fault or yours. BUT STILL A MOTHER FUCKING FACT.

Oprah Winfrey got treated like a second class n!gga in some diamond store in Paris. We're not THAT fucking evolved, buddy.

I'll fucking slap some god damn lessons into any audience that thinks TRUE FUCKING HISTORY doesn't matter :bunk:
Balkongen Loungin' wrote:White ppl who were born & raised in America like Mac Miller, Mackelmore and HustleCrowe have more right to make teh hip hop muzik than outsider foreign Canadian faggetz like Mindbender.

You can't even be a real black person if you come from Canada, can you?
HA HA. :arrow:

this fucking guy just implied that there are no Black people in Canada.

You're so pathetically brain-damaged you make conservative cracker shitheads like Rush Limbaugh sound sharp and astute.

WAY TO EXPOSE YOUR FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET, SCUMJIZZ :fail:

step one

Post by step one »

step one wrote:
THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T MATTER.

I'M GOING TO MY FUCKING -GRAVE- TEACHING MOTHERFUCKERS BLACK MUSIC HISTORY, POTNA

and fuck your ignorance cause Drake still isn't white. sure he may be RICH but he's still got BLACK in him, therefore on this planet, his life won't be as easy as if he had the exact same everything he has now, except he was 100% white. FACT. Sorry, not my fault or yours. BUT STILL A MOTHER FUCKING FACT.

Oprah Winfrey got treated like a second class n!gga in some diamond store in Paris. We're not THAT fucking evolved, buddy.

I'll fucking slap some god damn lessons into any audience that thinks TRUE FUCKING HISTORY doesn't matter :bunk:
I wasnt saying Drake was white, I was saying he's shitty but succeeds by making disposable McDonalds rap so what incentive is there for anyone coming through to school themselves on Tha Kulcha? None. Its not like KRS and Chuck D are the gatekeepers of this rap shit anymore.

Times done changed. Faggots sell records.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Being white in Hip Hop makes it easier than being black in Hip Hop, these days. There’s a reason why ADA, Alternative Distribution Alliance signed them up. A talented white Hip Hop artist is hard to find these days. Eminem, Mac Miller, Yelawolf and Machine Gun Kelly, are in a rare class of a watered down genre of commercially mainstream artists. White people love Hip Hop and are the bulk of the purchasers in the digital download era. Macklemore, is a sonically pure to the art form and a familiar face to white people who love Hip Hop.
If the emphasized section is indeed true the easiest way to solve this is for Macklemore as an individual rapper, or all white rappers, can get together collectively with their management and hash out what percentage of their rap earnings they will forfeit to an organization or entity that makes black achievement in rap as easy or easier than white achievement in rap.

Until that happens: no one is serious and the only reason these songs are made are to a) lend the rapper a patina of awareness and b) boost sales/clout/etc.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i think MB is talking about learning about racial politics & black culture/tradition/history/salvery/etc not hip hop culture

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote:i think MB is talking about learning about racial politics & black culture/tradition/history/salvery/etc not hip hop culture
I thought it was limited to the impact of Blacks in American music; not your grab bag of woes.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

my comment was directed @ step one.
it's not easier to "get on" as a white rapper. it's easier to get on in a major way if you have a marketable quality that a company thinks will make them $$$

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote:my comment was directed @ step one.
it's not easier to "get on" as a white rapper. it's easier to get on in a major way if you have a marketable quality that a company thinks will make them $$$
MONDAY: THE DAY 4 REVELAYSHUNZ.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ackbar wrote:i think MB is talking about learning about racial politics & black culture/tradition/history/salvery/etc not hip hop culture
please teach me how these are NOT the same thing now

wait, you can't

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

wait, you can't
b/c hip hop has never been a racially homogenous artform ?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

step one wrote: I wasnt saying Drake was white, I was saying he's shitty but succeeds by making disposable McDonalds rap so what incentive is there for anyone coming through to school themselves on Tha Kulcha? None. Its not like KRS and Chuck D are the gatekeepers of this rap shit anymore.

Times done changed. Faggots sell records.
oh, so because a different market sells the most units now, the people who buy those units should NOT be aware of the Sugar Hill Gang or RUN DMC or LL Cool J or Public Enemy or Ice-T or Beastie Boys or even MC Hammer and what Will Smith was doing in the 80's?

:bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :arrow:

Drake knows his history more than you think. He definitely knows and respects his Canadian music history and heritage and roots and has shown nuff love to both Michie Mee and Maestro Fresh Wes, the two primary pioneers of Canadian hip hop.

how the fuck can anyone respect ANYONE in ANY genre if they don't know the roots of it. THERE IS NO FUCKING JUSTIFICATION FOR MODERN INTERNET STUPIDITY. Even in POP MUSIC ALONE, it's cool to know what the fuck happened before Ke$ha and fucking Katy Perry. If some person who says they're into pop music doesn't know who the Spice Girls is, I'd fucking stop talking to them immediately. VIVA FOREVER MOTHERFUCKER :rofl:

pick a genre, any genre. how fucking cool would it be for some death metal junkie, some alternative rock hoser, some latin salsa afficionado, or some heroin-hopped jazz cat or ANYONE to not know the origins of the music they listen to?
IT WOULD NOT BE FUCKING COOL and never should be.

KRS One and Chuck D and them don't have to sell the most records for them to be worth having some fucking awareness of.

could you say "I don't know nothing about the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles... but I love rock music!"
you COULD... but you'd kinda look like a motherfucking fool

the main reason these cold motherfuckers treat hip hop so disposable IS BECAUSE IT WAS FIRST CREATED BY ~BLACK PEOPLE~
WHO THEMSELVES HAVE BEEN DISPOSABLE HEROES OF AMERICA'S HYPOCRISY SINCE SLAVERY

some things have changed, but some things HAVE NOT.

we still have to fight the power or else we are still headed for self-destruction
these ideas are fucking ETERNAL GUIDING TRUTHS AND PRINCIPLES FOR ALL OPPRESSED PEOPLE WORLDWIDE WHETHER IT IS 1989 OR 2013

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

soul was never co-opted. hip hop will never be. white people simply aren't stylin enough.
illegal mind shoe lace

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ackbar wrote:

wait, you can't
b/c hip hop has never been a racially homogenous artform ?
yes

and also because there are bulletproof parallels :ghostface: between the oppression of Africans, Latinos, Asians, Aboriginals, and everyone else that uses hip hop as an empowerment tool

and not just some stepin fetchit Americoon jingle shit to shill profit-making products to hollow-head children :cas:

Jason, you have the privilege to choose to never care about this rap shit if you don't want to. Macklemore raps about it.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

God almighty.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

i barely listen to Macklemore, but he can actually rap. better than a lot of guys.

do i care to hear his music? RARELY, barely to never. but i've thrown it on like 4 times. this song is his best ever to me.

he's honest. and he ain't Kreayshawn or Riff Raff about his whiteness :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .... :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk:

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

“Thrift Shop” is seemingly a hit everywhere – except radio stations that specialize in rap, that is, writes Gary Trust for Billboard.
Well, this is nothing new. They used to do that with certain Beastie Boys songs all the time on rock stations that have a primarily white audience. Same shit, different audience.
So let’s put that Indie myth to rest for Macklemore. You can’t attain success like Macklemore, unless you’re part of the big machine. Radio’s gatekeepers would never allow it. To go Pop and be No. 1 on the Billboard Top 100, money has to change hands. It’s a great record, but do you wonder why less than 5 percent of Urban/Black radio is playing it. The machine says no.

According to the ADA about page, during 2009, Warner Music Group (WMG) enhanced its independent distribution business by combining Ryko Distribution with ADA to create an independent label service company that provides a suite of services including physical and digital global distribution, physical production, merchandise production and distribution. ADA started in 1993 to focus on independent music business.

Macklemore, has been around releasing mix-tapes since 2000. Add ADA and parent company Warner Music Group into the mix and that formula screams success. So lets put that “Indie” success story to rest permanently.
I think Murs was in a similar situation when he and 9th Wonder dropped Murray's Revenge; I don't mean the hustle because its obvious Murs hustled more but Warner Bros. making this kind of deal is nothing new. Warner Bros. has a joint venture with a lot of artists on that roster for The Record Collection. For them to have an "indie" push with ADA involved with Ryko makes sense. I gotta disagree with the whole put the indie myth to rest; just because Macklemore got stamped by the majors doesn't mean the dude didn't hustle on the indie circuit.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

myself

Post by myself »

This shit again?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Image
:lol:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Depending on your lens, this reflects a tremendous cultural victory for hip-hop or the moment when hip-hop, as a construct, begins to lose meaning. What it really portends is hip-hop’s centerless future, in which its elements and references will be widely up for grabs — even more so than they are now — and used in unanticipated ways, inevitably weakening the center, and maybe undoing it altogether.

:jaz:
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB