Post by Escobar305 »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: Open Letter To Jay Electronica

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Escobar305 wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
THE BAD BOY CURSE IS REAL, BRO :owens:

if a "bad boy curse" really exists, why do the same artists your talking about that wanted to be "freed" from Bad Boy still consider resigning with Diddy (see: the lox)? Dont get mad at diddy because he rejuvenated his label and still produces hits. Why does he need to stop promoting Ciroc? Why does he need to limit himself?

The last classic he produced? American Gangster went pretty hard last I heard bruh plus:
:bow:
BWA-HAHA-HAHA! :liljon:
So SEAN COMBS saying that the BIGGEST ARTIST on HIS OWN LABEL at the current moment dropping the "hottest NYC album in 10 years!!!" is supposed to be a neutral and fair-handed assessment of French Montana's classic album making abilities?!

Why do "the same artists"? There was only ONE group. Nobody else who ever escaped Bad Boy successfully returned, brah.
And uh... yeah, I remember when there was all that puffed up talk about The Lox re-signing to Bad Boy via Interscope. Yeah, that sounded cute for a second, didn't it? Then the Lox realized that ain't very much changed with Diddy and Bad Boy and that Puffy was still a self-aggrandizing snake oil salesman who cares more about himself than any of the artists on his label, and the Lox ain't do SHIT with Diddy since. When that Lox/Bad Boy/Interscope first single drops, you let me know. In the meantime... THE BAD BOY CURSE IS STILL IN FULL EFFECT :copy:

He doesn't have to stop promoting Ciroc. But he makes way more money from Ciroc than he does from his music, for sure. And he puts more time and energy into that alcohol-selling venture than into producing music or developing NYC rap talent, it sure seems like.

Every artist Diddy has worked with since Biggie has had a cursed career. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
I say this Bad Boy Curse stuff as a joke... but there's a very real history behind it, and even if there is no curse, the curse is that Diddy cares more about himself than anyone else he ever will sign. Suge Knight was right about that much. *all up in the videos*

when he totally distanced himself from Shyne and got different lawyers from the guy who ~risked his life to protect Puffy~ in that nightclub in 1999, that much was revealed about your boy P Diddy Bop.

TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT :gyeah:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Escobar305 wrote:
THE BAD BOY CURSE IS REAL, BRO :owens:

if a "bad boy curse" really exists, why do the same artists your talking about that wanted to be "freed" from Bad Boy still consider resigning with Diddy (see: the lox)? Dont get mad at diddy because he rejuvenated his label and still produces hits. Why does he need to stop promoting Ciroc? Why does he need to limit himself?

The last classic he produced? American Gangster went pretty hard last I heard bruh plus:
:bow:
BWA-HAHA-HAHA! :liljon:
So SEAN COMBS saying that the BIGGEST ARTIST on HIS OWN LABEL at the current moment dropping the "hottest NYC album in 10 years!!!" is supposed to be a neutral and fair-handed assessment of French Montana's classic album making abilities?!

Why do "the same artists"? There was only ONE group. Nobody else who ever escaped Bad Boy successfully returned, brah.
And uh... yeah, I remember when there was all that puffed up talk about The Lox re-signing to Bad Boy via Interscope. Yeah, that sounded cute for a second, didn't it? Then the Lox realized that ain't very much changed with Diddy and Bad Boy and that Puffy was still a self-aggrandizing snake oil salesman who cares more about himself than any of the artists on his label, and the Lox ain't do SHIT with Diddy since. When that Lox/Bad Boy/Interscope first single drops, you let me know. In the meantime... THE BAD BOY CURSE IS STILL IN FULL EFFECT :copy:

He doesn't have to stop promoting Ciroc. But he makes way more money from Ciroc than he does from his music, for sure. And he puts more time and energy into that alcohol-selling venture than into producing music or developing NYC rap talent, it sure seems like.

Every artist Diddy has worked with since Biggie has had a cursed career. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
I say this Bad Boy Curse stuff as a joke... but there's a very real history behind it, and even if there is no curse, the curse is that Diddy cares more about himself than anyone else he ever will sign. Suge Knight was right about that much. *all up in the videos*

when he totally distanced himself from Shyne and got different lawyers from the guy who ~risked his life to protect Puffy~ in that nightclub in 1999, that much was revealed about your boy P Diddy Bop.

TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT :gyeah:
but what about nas? where did the bravehearts go? what happened to quan? what happened to rocafella? where did peedi peedi go? according to your logic both nas and jay got curses as well.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Jay-Z got Kanye West and Beanie Sigel had a good career too
Nas got AZ and 'Illmatic' and 'Ether' and is a GOAT MC
Diddy is a hypeman who talked on records he sold
take that, take that :copy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Lol dame signed kanye. History says jay didnt think Ye rapped well in the beginning. Lol sigel got a nice career? Im guessing Ma$e made more wih puff.

Lol @ nas doing az favors. Nas don't even collaborate with him nowadays. Stop it 5

Once again, where the brave hearts at bruh?

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

acting like jigga was responsible for anything good (state prop/dip set/kanye) on roc ruins. everyone can sign cheques with lots of zeros is all it its

step one

Post by step one »

:mods:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Fairly sure Jay has a terrible ear for talent and it was all Dame and Biggs choices: State Prop, Kanye, Dipset, Bleek, Young Gunz, one of the greatest production teams ever, Christion album aint bad either

Post them jumping ship: J Cole, Mr Hudson, Rita Ora, the Nore reggaeton album, Willow Smith,

Puffy: Biggie, Black Rob, Mase, The Lox, brought in 8Ball & MJG, 112, the first Boyz n da Hood album, one of the greatest production teams ever + his various solo albums which all have great shit on if you dont have sugar in your nutsack, NO WAY OUT

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

also heavy lulz at the notion rappers were "creatively stifled" while in Diddys house, The Lox debut>>>> every album after bar a few Styles tapes and mebbe Champ Is Here. Harlem World>>>> anything that confused lemming did afterwards. If Biggie was alive hed prolly have been trapped in soundtrack by Scram Jones, Escape From NY hell for the last decade.

Rape'n U Records: dont worry if we write royalty checks, we write hits

step one

Post by step one »

the original argument wasnt Puff cant spot talent. He's probably one of the best to do it since his days at Uptown. The point I made was he treats his artists like shit and how they're all dead/in jail/in church and Bad Boy havent dropped anything thats made a huge impact in a very long time, so Jay Elec wouldnt necessarily have been any better off over there.

What the fuck Ill Will and Rocafella have to do with that is beyond me but Escobar's fan boy faggotry never ceases to suprise.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Surely every major label sucks dick though? I think it was Combat Jack who made the point but likely a lot of the bad taste left in the mouths of former signees of artist-owned labels - no limit, hypnotize minds, bad boy, cash money(though it may be warranted with baby & Slim) etc is the artists feel theyve a closer relationship with the CEO.

The feeling of betrayals worse cos "its your boy" but you probably werent shiested worse than you would be with Clive or whoever, who have professional distance in comparison. Plus a big faceless corporation likely has less qualms about issuing gag orders, sending the legal dogs after any scorned employees who pipe up etc whereas dudes like Puff have a public image to protect. Only reason we know Aaron Fuchs & Sylvia Robinson's names is a combination of being a relatively small indie label without much power but having enough of a notable catalogue to get a rep.

Basically if youre gonna buy into Puff fucking over careers you cant really not say the same of 99% of rappers ever. Theres no curse: most dudes just dont read the fine print, blow up, fall off and get bitter.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Like can you imagine any non-face label exec even considering he had other options eg: doing interviews, calling into a radio show to hash it out, rather than just ignoring/blackballing the whinging rapper?

step one

Post by step one »

I think Puff is perhaps (unfairly) held to a higher standard as an exec because he's from a smilar background to people on his label so he's expected to conform to the same hood doctrine.
Artists careers flopping as a result of label fuckery obviously isnt anything new, but I cant think of another rap label where so many have ended up dead/religious/in jail, because there isnt one.

For the benefit of idiots reading this, I dont believe its the result of an actual curse - thats just a catchy way of describing it.

If Puff had been content to play the back and run the label, Bad Boy couldve been bigger than it was. Shyne or Loon couldve carved out a career comparable to someone like Fabolous or Jadakiss has for example
His thing about being the star of the show and not wanting anyone to snatch the limelight came at a price and now no one really gives a fuck.

(the Harlem World wasnt on Bad Boy either, it was a So So Def release)

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

How much more successful do u want bad boy to be?!? They sold over 80 million record bruh. Diddy runs the city

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

and what about Bravehearts? :killacam: :ironmike:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Bad Boy is what it is because of Puff. Problem with that is when you leave, you no longer have the sound that made you popular. No artist that has been and left that label has ever been able to capitalize on the success they got from the Bad Boy machine. It's not a curse. It's a case of peaking way too early when you're signed to them and having no place else to go but down.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

I doubt Shyne couldve escaped the Biggie comparisons even if he hadnt gotten locked up, plus him and Loon just plain arent as capable as Fab or Jada. Cash Money and No limit are just as unlucky-dead, imprisoned, lack of success after jumping ship etc. Its more an artist owned label thing cos with all the branding plus having a face to associate all the fuckups with, the labels kinda antropomorphize and arent held to the same standard. Im fairly sure if you went through other label's histories there'd be as many black spots, theyre just not part of as neat a narrative. Without even getting into the majors, you could make a couple of movies out of Rap A Lot alone.

I mean I agree Puffy not playing the back is part of it, but for that reason rather than hogging all the shine. Jay is a better example of that imo, hes gone further out of his way to stall careers than most. Kanye only got a chance during the fake retirement

I meant Mase's debut not the crew album.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Cash Rulz wrote:Bad Boy is what it is because of Puff. Problem with that is when you leave, you no longer have the sound that made you popular. No artist that has been and left that label has ever been able to capitalize on the success they got from the Bad Boy machine. It's not a curse. It's a case of peaking way too early when you're signed to them and having no place else to go but down.
Exactly.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Larry2times wrote:Surely every major label sucks dick though?
of course.
jay electronic was never going to be the next nas. if rappers outside of the bay & the south focused on regional fanbases & modest sales the would make more money off better music

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Yeah Nore said in an interview recently an unnamed west coast OG laughed at him for giving music away for free. East coast dudes are gonna be the last to abandon the majors system.

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:How much more successful do u want bad boy to be?!? They sold over 80 million record bruh. Diddy runs the city
you're incapable of constructive discussion because you're a fucking idiot. Stop posting.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Reggie wrote:and what about Bravehearts? :killacam: :ironmike:
Lol

Horse did an interview with sway a while ago. I think he married heather b or something?

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:THE BRAVEHEARTS ONLY BIG SONG WAS OOCHIE WALLY THEREFORE BAD BOY IS STILL AN INTERESTING RECORD LABEL AND FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH IN 2013 AND P DIDDY IS GREAT AND I LIKE FRENCH MONTANA BECAUSE HE'S GOOD AND BRILLIANT OMG PUSHA T IS THE TRUTH **posts jpeg of shit rapper wearing ugly jewellery**

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Larry2times wrote:Yeah Nore said in an interview recently an unnamed west coast OG laughed at him for giving music away for free. East coast dudes are gonna be the last to abandon the majors system.
It's amazing how much east coast dudes still fantasize about getting signed to a major. You would think, considering that they started the minor label blowing up thing (see Def Jam, Bad Boy, etc.) that they would get it. But because it's so cliqueish and so much hate going on it requires a major to be successful up there. It's like everyone else won't accept how good you are without the co-sign.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

ackbar wrote:
Larry2times wrote:Surely every major label sucks dick though?
of course.
jay electronic was never going to be the next nas. if rappers outside of the bay & the south focused on regional fanbases & modest sales the would make more money off better music
There will never be a next Nas. Nas is still trying and he stopped being "the voice of the streets/ghetto prophet" years ago. It's the same shit like with Rakim. It's a matter of timing. When he dropped Illmatic and It Was Written, that type of hood-nigga introspective, story-telling wasn't really happening at the time. But once it was done, it was done. Accompanied by horrible beat choices and a lack of no longer being on those streets to tell the "new" stories that were happening, he didn't evolve the way he was supposed to or at least tried and wasn't good at it.

Jay Elec just needs to keep putting out decent music a little more consistently and he can turn into a slightly more street version of Drake.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Jay Elec just needs to keep putting out decent music a little more consistently and he can turn into a slightly more street version of Drake.
i would be ok with this

regardless, he needs to do somethin. i do wonder what his daily schedule looks like though

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Piff Tannen wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
i would be ok with this

regardless, he needs to do somethin. i do wonder what his daily schedule looks like though
Given how much he tweets, I'd think it was pretty open.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Cash Rulz wrote: Given how much he tweets, I'd think it was pretty open.
:pause:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Employee wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote: Given how much he tweets, I'd think it was pretty open.
:pause:
I'd love to sit next to you for a day to hear how you read posts.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Hmmm...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20130322
The title track is a mix of hip-hop and distinctly western-style guitar, with a beat that feels like a galloping horse, and features Yasiin Bey (formerly Mos Def), Jay Electronica and Lucy Liu (as a narrator).
http://soundcloud.com/thebullitts/theydiebydawn/s-gK8ub