wizeguy

Re: Albums You Passionately* Loathe That Everyone Jizzes Ove

Post by wizeguy »

Life After Death
Makaveli

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

i don't neccessarily loathe or hate Supreme Clientele at all (shit is dope yet overrated) but all the extra props this lp gets for "saving the Wu" cause of this lp makes me feel like :bunk:

I'll take Ironman over SC all day, every day and I hate how cats act like SC is so much iller when it's really not.

word to Deltron too, i remember kids jocking that shit when it came out and I never listened til 2 years later and then when I did i was like :naswtf: "this is what y'all were hyping up?"

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Deltron is one of those things that only works in the context of the time it came out. It's dated like 16th century madrigals
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Slum Village was a really good call.

Agreed with Black Star and Black on Both Sides too.

Don't give a flying fuck about Ghost, Doom, or El P, although I guess that belongs in the companion artist thread.

Off to double post and evoke fanboy wrath.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

drizzle wrote:Deltron is one of those things that only works in the context of the time it came out. It's dated like 16th century madrigals
I actually put a dude on to deltron a couple months ago who never heard any Del the Funky homo sapien shit in his life and he was blown away.....so I'm not sure if it's dated. More like you may be tired of listening to it.

Good call on slum village. I can't stand their material.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
drizzle wrote:Deltron is one of those things that only works in the context of the time it came out. It's dated like 16th century madrigals
I actually put a dude on to deltron a couple months ago who never heard any Del the Funky homo sapien shit in his life and he was blown away.....so I'm not sure if it's dated. More like you may be tired of listening to it.

Good call on slum village. I can't stand their material.
this dude's name was Del and he was so cracked out he forgot he made this album himself
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Versive

Post by Versive »

Again, this is another album that I'm really into and can't understand how it could have fallen out of favor. Good beats, good rhymes, cool little sci-fi concept, what the fuck? Cats catching buyer's remorse 10 years later. You used to listen to and enjoy songs about space aliens. So what? Aliens aren't cool anymore? I don't get it.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

I recently tried to listen to that Cannibal Ox album and I find it as unlistenable as I did 10 years ago.
Beats are cool, but I don't understand the appeal of the raps at all.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

For the record, I never really liked the Deltron album. Loathe would be way too strong but the beats and rapping were just never that impressive.

BOBS doesn't sound as good as it did, but it's far from wack to me. But it's important to remember that next to Talib Kweli, there may not be a more loathed artist on these boards than Mos. If I remember correctly, people were shitting on The Ecstatic here, which I would take of BOBS and was one of 09's best rap records IMO.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

RoKnew wrote:I recently tried to listen to that Cannibal Ox album and I find it as unlistenable as I did 10 years ago.
Beats are cool, but I don't understand the appeal of the raps at all.
:larry:

I don't doubt your sincerity as it relates to the emphasized portion (nh @ "emphasized portion"), but when you front on Vordul you don't only front on yourself, you front on Vast Aire's love handles (nh @ "on Vast Aire's love handles").

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

can't quite grasp the classic status of Operation Doomsday
:megaman:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

I agree with whoever said blueprint. It is cool, but it was this weird moment between Jay leaving an older style, and launching into a new style. the bread to the blueprint sandwich is so much better. His work on Vol. 3 life and times and roc la famigla and Blueprint 2 (he rapped way better on that album than he did on blueprint - flows killed shit, had wack songs but skill wise he crushed it and the good songs on that album crush pretty much everything on 1) and the black album destroy Blueprint 1.

Post by 907 »

DredScott wrote:i don't neccessarily loathe or hate Supreme Clientele at all (shit is dope yet overrated) but all the extra props this lp gets for "saving the Wu" cause of this lp makes me feel like :bunk:

I'll take Ironman over SC all day, every day and I hate how cats act like SC is so much iller when it's really not.

word to Deltron too, i remember kids jocking that shit when it came out and I never listened til 2 years later and then when I did i was like :naswtf: "this is what y'all were hyping up?"

Not only do I agree with all of this, but I would go so far as to say that I like the complete version of Bulletproof Wallets better than SC as well. It's great, but far from Ghost's solo work.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

DredScott wrote:i don't neccessarily loathe or hate Supreme Clientele at all (shit is dope yet overrated) but all the extra props this lp gets for "saving the Wu" cause of this lp makes me feel like :bunk:

I used to be one of those guys, but over the past few years i find the iron man is the album I go back to. I think the supreme clientele was ground breaking more for the way he was rapping and just the leap in pure skills he took from iron man to supreme. I remember being completely blown away by that aspect of it. How tight the flow was, the poetic license, his phrasing was stellar. I think performance wise it probably is his best work. You can make the argument that BW (the complete version) was maybe even a little better. That run was some next level rapping. The craftsmanship was next level.

However, I dont think the songs stand up as well as iron man, which makes iron man so much more listenable IMO.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^ I played "Assassination Day", "Box In Hand" and "Soul Controller" and a few Ironman joints just yesterday. Timeless shit :ghostface:
Employee wrote:
Combo7 wrote:Boxcar Sessions
Kam's debut
Your post makes me :jaz:
for real, F'REAL :leon:

'Boxcar Sessions' is fused to my brain's DNA.

I... just... wow ha ha :rofl:

and 'Blueprint'?! :naswtf: The "Girls, Girls, Girls" remix by Kanye West is a fucking masterpiece of playa stylistics. "I'm not a one girrrrl guy, and you knowww it..." :og:
'Heart of the City'?! 'Song Cry', even just the beat alone? 'U Don't Know'?!? If you don't feel that, you might be *dead*

this thread is HI-LARRY-US

anyhoo:

I have to admit I slept on Slum Village in the beginning...

:icedit: I posted this before really seeing how many people chose SV on page one.

I can't even fucking lie. I was a little :owens: when J Dilla changed the boom-bap impact of Ali Shaheed Muhammad and ATCQ's beats with "Find My Way", and since J Dilla joined the Ummah around when ATCQ ended, I didn't blame Dilla but I didn't check for him or really listen to "Love Movement" at all like "Low End Theory" or "Midnight Marauders".

Finding out how amazing J Dilla is after he died is one of my biggest hip hop wake-up calls, for sure.
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Req

Post by Req »

Philaflava wrote:Any Nas album since It Was Written.
the only Nas albums people jizz over post IWW are Lost Tapes and Stillmatic. And if you loathe those YOU LOATHE YASELF
F.U. MOOLAH

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Kam's debut
Seriously?

D. James

Post by D. James »

One Day It'll All Make Sense

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Jaz wrote:
Kam's debut
Seriously?
With Boxcar Sessions I can at least understand the appeal, but the Kam album is just terrible by any metric.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

anything by bone thugs.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

ironman is not a ghost album though, it's a RZA album.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Virtually anything praised by people from the Bay Area that isn't an attempt at a more universal hip hop sound, from Mac Dre type idiocy to Latryx type pretentiousness.

step one

Post by step one »

It Was Written - the beats are mostly quite dull. Street Dreams is one of my least favourite Nas songs
The first Leaders Of The New School album - kept hold of this for years but never got into it.
American Gangster - unbelievably tedious throughout
Efil4Zaggin - 2/3 good tracks at the most. Some good beats on there but the rapping is pretty terrible.
Dogg Pound 'Dogg Food' - the first disappointing Death Row release for me.

The Kam album is great.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Efil4zaggin? Really?

Classic album to me.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

step one wrote:Efil4Zaggin - 2/3 good tracks at the most. Some good beats on there but the rapping is pretty terrible.
oh boy.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Larry2times wrote:
step one wrote:Efil4Zaggin - 2/3 good tracks at the most. Some good beats on there but the rapping is pretty terrible.
oh boy.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:
Larry2times wrote:
oh boy.
i never listened to that album, i always felt at the time you had to pick sides and i went with cube. so yeah, fuck that album.

step one

Post by step one »

its got 'Automobile' on there, which no one needs to hear more than once. Same With 'Id Rather Fuck You'. 'She Swallowed It' was basically 'Just Dont Bite It' off '100 Miles..' . Stupid comedy rap shit had kind of had its day by 1991. A group responsible for S.O.C that was getting letters from the FBI should have a bit more to offer on their follow up album. Theres just a lack of decent song concepts mainly. They really missed Cube on that LP

Dayz Of Wayback, Appetite For Destruction and Alwayz Into Something are the only joints I ever play.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Efil4zaggin was NWA jumping the shark. Cartoony violence, egos run amok, and a strange obsession with broomstick rape ruined this album.
This was one of my most anticipated albums ever. I remember MTV doing almost daily news updates with Kurt Loder. These dudes were all gassed up on themselves, talking about future collaborations with Guns N Roses and shit.
Like Step said, there's only a handful of good songs.
Considering how Cube took the NWA attitude and ran wih it, the writing was on the wall for them.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Cartoony violence, egos run amok, and a strange obsession with broomstick rape
this, along with it being In the top 3 Dre productions is what makes it great. Ren killed on there. Some Days I prefer it to Straight Outta Compton and Im one of the 4 people who like Something 2 Dance 2.

If you get the version with 100 Miles stuck on the end its easily their best album.