Spark Master Tape

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Versive

Re: Spark Master Tape

Post by Versive »

TheTed wrote:This is old, but it's never been posted.

Kai Sky Walker - In The Zone feat. Dat Nigga Nug & Spark Master Tape

https://soundcloud.com/kai-sky-walker/kai-sky-walker-in-the-zone

Was it confirmed that Kai is in fact Spark?
Everytime I see that dude's name I think of: http://music.kaistraw.com/album/the-tra ... -decoupage

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i don't think Kai is Spark

unless he purposefully raps a lot worse as Kai
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

drizzle wrote:i don't think Kai is Spark

unless he purposefully raps a lot worse as Kai
he isn't Kai.
dope. he's rapping more than usual.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Last edited by AWAE on Mon May 12, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

this song is from new upcoming mixtape?

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Question to SMT fans out there,
if it were revealed that SMT was, in fact, a white canadian , would that effect your enjoyment of his music?

I've loved everything he's dropped and I honestly don't know. On one hand, good music is good music. On the other, some canadian white dude obviously trying to pass himself off for something he is not doesn't sit well with me. It would at least taint it on some level.
Regardless, shit is mad creative and well put together...tough call.
Thoughts?

wuk

Post by wuk »

spark master tape is blockhead!
ryebread mixes. <--------download

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I wish.

wuk

Post by wuk »

i can't help but think this would all be better in his real voice. i can only ride with the pitched down vocals for a verse or track at a time, not for a whole project. if it turns out he's some white canadian teen who cares? he raps good. i just want him to be him.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

True, whoever it is, his normal voice is pretty dope.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-e0j2NAsw[/youtube]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote:Question to SMT fans out there,
if it were revealed that SMT was, in fact, a white canadian , would that effect your enjoyment of his music?

I've loved everything he's dropped and I honestly don't know. On one hand, good music is good music. On the other, some canadian white dude obviously trying to pass himself off for something he is not doesn't sit well with me. It would at least taint it on some level.
Regardless, shit is mad creative and well put together...tough call.
Thoughts?
absolutely not, and in fact i'm fairly certain he is a white canadian.

i don't get the whole 'trying to pass off as something he's not' angle here. you guys are essentially conflating/equating pitched down vocals with SMT trying to pass himself off as black, but that's specious as shit. at no point does he try to claim himself as black, or any specific race at all, and his allusions are generic in a way that could really apply to anybody. maybe he really doesn't like his voice, or maybe he really thinks the music is better this way, it doesn't have to be anything more nefarious than that.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

The fact that he jacked the style directly from a white guy leads me to believe he is also a white. He does say nigga though, and Canadians of any race shouldn't say it imo.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

The thing is, he is talking about hood shit...pretty much the entire time. I think the pitched down vocals and hiding of his identity (The people who put his mixtapes out don't even know) is VERY calculated. And I can't help but think his race/location is at least a small part of that. The ill thing is that he mentions different american cities with some knowledge of them. L.A., ATL, NYC. Like he knows there is a Fulton st. in Manhattan? weird.

Dudes talking about his dead homies and guns and all that shit. I could be wrong , but has he dropped some n-bombs along the way? A friend of mine seems sure of it but I can't think of any instances.
Again, the music he makes is dope so it's always going to be enjoyable but at what point does what he's doing become really well made parody rap?
For all we know, SMT could be Akbar.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

blastmaster wrote: He does say nigga though, and Canadians of any race shouldn't say it imo.
:lol:

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

it wouldnt change my enjoyment of the music. i kind of assumed he was a white dude anyways. i also love pitched down vocals, so i dont mind that he doesnt rap in his normal voice. i think its cool tho, everyone raps in their normal voice, so one person who doesn't is ok by me. i can listen to pitched down raps all day

i'm just happy dude and his crew exists, and seems to be consistently creating content that i find highly enjoyable. video and audio alike.

i sort of feel like spark master tape is ideally a vehicle for something larger the group wants to do. like its a decent amount of people all working together in a more cohesive way than odd future or the asap mob is, instead of spark master tape just being a rapper trying to get on.

but thats just how i interpret it

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

blastmaster wrote:The fact that he jacked the style directly from a white guy leads me to believe he is also a white. He does say nigga though, and Canadians of any race shouldn't say it imo.

i feel like all that was really jacked was the gimmick of the pitched down voice. i went back and listened to some LUM recently and i feel like spark master tape shit is much more polished as a whole, especially on the production.

part of me is interested to know whats going on with this crew, and who they are, and where they're from, but the other half of me doesnt give a shit, as long as they keep putting out fire

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

can't think of a single instance of him dropping nbomb or referring to his own ethnicity in any way at all, nor of any instances of him referring to anything ethnically or culturally specific. i'd also argue that talking about crime, drugs and and being poor is not the same as talking about 'hood shit'. all those things happen to white people too, even white canadians

i like Piff's take on this, it generally mirrors my own

of course if anybody can point to an example of him dropping an nbomb that would subvert most of my argument.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

there is a reference to race in 'picture of my coffin' but its kind of tongue in cheek and most likely a response to people who don't like the pitched vocal effect. you're right tho, other than that, i don't remember any references.

i could also swear i heard an n-bomb or two on the old mixtape, but it might have been one of the guests. no direct examples come to mind.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I think that might've been kai.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

drizzle wrote:can't think of a single instance of him dropping nbomb or referring to his own ethnicity in any way at all, nor of any instances of him referring to anything ethnically or culturally specific. i'd also argue that talking about crime, drugs and and being poor is not the same as talking about 'hood shit'. all those things happen to white people too, even white canadians
I dunno...most suburban whites are not up on the R.I.P. shirt phenomenon. That's a small example but dude clearly is angling in that direction. I hear "hood" more than "poor". It's almost a tip of the hat to him as he does seem to be very aware of certain hood based nuances a typical canadian dude would not be up on. That said, it's still very likely a dude co-opting something very very far from him own lifestyle. (still love the music, just saying...)

Also, I too would like to hear evidence of him dropping "nigga". Cause, like driz said, that would change the discussion dramatically.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

blastmaster wrote:The fact that he jacked the style directly from a white guy leads me to believe he is also a white. He does say nigga though, and Canadians of any race shouldn't say it imo.
he hasn't said nigga in a track yet. name the track he has said it in.
Blockhead wrote: white dude obviously trying to pass himself off for something he is not
you ever heard "back in the days" by Party Fun Action Committee?

he's not canadian. he's not fully white. half white. other half not black. he doesn't reside in north america, including canada.

he's portraying a rapping persona that references drug selling and also game boy toting. he references Oculus Rift and has a song named after a PC mouse.
he references thug stuff and nerd stuff.

y'all do know that B-Real of Cypress Hill doesn't talk in a nasaly voice when he isn't rapping, right?

people say SMT jacked LUM style, but actually SALEM had white dudes rapping pitched down before either of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tuDP7A99o

I dunno...most suburban whites are not up on the R.I.P. shirt phenomenon.
if anything, most surbuban whites don't know about Spark, yet, either.
I'm pretty sure Pusha T or the Hot Boy$ had RIP shirts in their videos many years before, and that's as mainstream middle of the day white people watching BET as you can get.
That, and outside of NYC, most states have Wal-Marts, which involve a melting pot of customers. Whites can learn a lot about the hood and hood fashion by hanging out in a Wal-Mart for a few hours any day of the week.

That video of his real voice is close, but it's still off by a semitone or two.
And dude even pitch shifts his own pitch shifts, so even if you speed the track up 7 semitones or whatever, there's still parts where he screwed the vocals another octave lower.
so it isn't even really about disguising a voice as much as a production technique. i don't even know what he says in the last few bars of the newest video, because it's screwed so low.

The only other information that I'm giving out, that I've probably mentioned before, is that he's been making rap music and self producing it himself for over a decade,
but nobody ever heard of him until he made this SMT persona
. and it isn't like he tried. his old rapper persona put out mixtapes and youtube videos, but he sorta fell flat sounding like an average rapper that ended up getting lost in the shuffle and no interest from blogs. so now, he tried a new gimmick out, and it worked for him.

people are liking it. even people that hate it at least realize it's interesting and different, production wise. his musical references are so vast, it's crazy.

plus, he's not making money off of portraying this persona.
he's not cheating someone out of money making them think he's someone else. N.W.A, S.A. Smash, Rick Ross he's not.

if anything, he's showing what's possible in the internet age.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

well i think we now know who smt is

its def blockhead

sleazy, srs question, was his old persona also making music in this same style but with 'regular' vocals? or was the music itself different?

asking because i have a hard time believing nobody on the internet picked up on something that's produced and rapped in this fashion, regardless of the vocal pitch. seems if this kid popped at the height of the tumblr rap boom 2 years ago he would've been massive. much worse eccentrics got their moment in that window

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

also has anyone figured out the connection with spark master tape and the counterstrike videos with his music on them or people just getting murked?

its like gamer clips of dope kills with spark music on them. there was one with a spark song that was either razor boomslangin or maybe been laydin on it? but i cant find it now. i figure it was maybe just some gamers who fuck with SMT, but who knows. nigga raps about video games and shit, he might be out here gettin it in on console games when not rapping

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

So Sleazy is SMT?
@Sleazy,
like I've repeatedly said, I'm a fan of dudes music. I think he's a good rapper and I think his production is awesome. The whole package is great. I posed the initial question cause I was genuinely curious of what people had to say about it as people being genuine in what they say has been a point of contention in hip hop since forever.
While I feel you on the whole idea of characters in hip hop being nothing new, there is a difference between this and N.W.A. or Rick Ross. Even more so if dude is from europe and half asian or something (is he employee?). And, as you know, P.F.A.C. was obviously all parody. Admittedly so and over the top. So if you're comparing him to us then you're admitting he's doing parody music.
Like you said...it's a gimmick. A Gimmick he knocks out the park but a gimmick nonetheless.
All this aside, he may be the first official (unofficial) :bork: rapper embraced by Philaflava. That's pretty impressive.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i just realized sleazy said he doesnt reside in north america or canada. if thats true, im interested in where hes from moreso than anything else.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Blockhead wrote:The thing is, he is talking about hood shit...pretty much the entire time. I think the pitched down vocals and hiding of his identity (The people who put his mixtapes out don't even know) is VERY calculated. And I can't help but think his race/location is at least a small part of that. The ill thing is that he mentions different american cities with some knowledge of them. L.A., ATL, NYC. Like he knows there is a Fulton st. in Manhattan? weird.
Blockhead wrote:I dunno...most suburban whites are not up on the R.I.P. shirt phenomenon. That's a small example but dude clearly is angling in that direction. I hear "hood" more than "poor". It's almost a tip of the hat to him as he does seem to be very aware of certain hood based nuances a typical canadian dude would not be up on.
i think you're very confused about what life in vancouver is like.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I've been to vancouver many times. You guys got junkies on lock. Let's not get crazy though. and note I said "typical canadian dude". Surely you don't equate yourself with that statement.