No votes
Indie Underground Internet Advance Movement#
11%

Total votes: 71

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Pick your favorite ERA in hip-hop

Post by Philaflava »

Since I am not listing every era that ever existed and I'm certainly not including the Golden Era which would runaway with this, I am listing 10 distinct era/movements we've had. Vote on your FAVORITE. I'll be doing more so save the "you forgot to include.." you jack off.

I also included some key words to help define said era. Each era represent a specific time in hip-hop. For example, the Rawkus movement isn't limited to their own releases, but the upstart of other indie labels like Guesswhyld, Brick, Fondle 'Em Records, ABB or Hydro putting out 12" singles regularly.

Dipset Movement
Rawkus Movement
Pen & Pixel Era*
'93-95 East Coast Hip-Hop
Swag Hop
Murda Inc Era
Aftermath Era**
Hyphy Era
Bad Boy Era
Indie Underground Internet Advance Movement#

References:

* No Limit, Cash Money, Tru Game
** Aftermath/Shady/G-Unit Sound ('99-03)
# Anticon, Def Jux, Rhymesayers, Hiero

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Re: Pick your favorite ERA in hip-hop

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Technically, the Dipset movement still loosely exists today with affiliates like Chinx Drugz and A-Mafia making some of the only good music out of NY over the past couple of years, the Cam + Juelz et Jim reunion shows, and Cam's 1 amazing song every 2 years.

Hence, anyone who doesn't vote Dipset has suspicious taste or is simply dense, imho :gyeah: :gyeah: Here's why :

* Counting the weed carriers who all had classic songs to their name, they've simply made more good music than any other crew in the history of rap.

* Cam and Max B were the best 2 N.Y rappers last decade.

* They were a multimedia experience : Paid In Full and Killa Season, incredible B.E.T and Hot97 freestyles, the amazing Source Awards medley performance, and a plethora of classic street DVD/WSHH interviews involving Westwood ferrying them around London, Cam standing in his daisy dukes in the backyard of his bungalow, any Hell Rell interview, the feuds between Jim & Tru-Life and Jim & Max, the classic did-Juelz-get-robbed-in-London videos, and the clip of the dudes who robbed J.R Writer's chain.

* They trolled the shit out of other rappers, turned rap cliches on their heads, reveled in bad taste, and gave us such fascinating news stories as Cam hiring scientists to create his own hue and the proto-To Catch A Predator TV show they were creating.

Their only flaw was making True Religion jeans, jeweled belts, and Ed Hardy skull shirts acceptable in teh rap music. Still, every important rap crew/era has to have a distinct look, I suppose.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

93-95 East Coast for me.

Also, I think you would be surprised - I doubt the Golden Era would run away with it here in M2C.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

g-funk era got robbed
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Dips. So much cool shit went down.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

pradadon wrote:93-95 East Coast for me.

Also, I think you would be surprised - I doubt the Golden Era would run away with it here in M2C.
Golden Era peak years were pretty much 93-95 East Coast anyways.

Erm, the Golden-Era is officially 1986 to 1992.

It begins with singles like Ego Trippin', Eric B Is President, Peter Piper, South Bronx + It's A Demo and ends with the release of The Chronic.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I think '93 it officially ended. '94-95 was an extension, literally the 2nd golden era.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

calling it the "dipset era" is quite sacrilege. they made it quite clear it was a movement

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

blastmaster wrote:Dips. So much cool shit went down.

Even though I'm going with 93-95, that was an interesting era. Their publicity and media presence was more memorable than their music for the most part to me. Mostly the songs from Cam's Come Home/Rockafella period that I remember overall. I live within walking distance of the b-ball court where they filmed Bout It Bout It with Master P here in Harlem.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i voted for hyphy (also a movement) b/c someone had to. if dipset continues on through rappers like french montana.. hyphy lives on through hbk, kool john, e-40's new single, young l, etc.

treal TV is the best rap DVD ever released

Philaflava wrote:I think '93 it officially ended. '94-95 was an extension, literally the 2nd golden era.
Well, The Chronic did come out in december 1992, but '92 is also significant as the end of the Golden-Era with that period's greats like Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD, Slick Rick and Public Enemy splitting up or going AWOL, and the release of Halftime, first Wu single, and Redman's debut album, and Primo switching his sound up on Daily Operation all signalling a change was imminent.

1993 is a whole 'nother ballgame even though there are a few overlaps like De La, Tribe and KRS : new faces and whole new sounds with Boom-Bap, Come Clean, G-Funk, the Geto Boys finding their own sound, the Pocket Full Of Stones remix, the emergence of 8Ball & MJG and OutKast, Bay Area mobb music, New Orleans Bounce etc.

You can't really call '93 to '95 a Golden-Era because rap had fractured into some many different sounds by then, whereas the first Golden-Era is characterized by practically everybody working from the same set of tools with the same sounds.

ackbar wrote:if dipset continues on through rappers like french montana.. hyphy lives on through hbk, kool john, e-40's new single, young l, etc.
Cameron, you know damn well that HBK, DJ Mustard and the Ratchet movement is the continuation of Jerk not Hyphy.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Indie Underground Internet Advance Movement >>>>

None of us would be voting in this poll (nh @ "poll" because it can be misconstrued as "pole") if not for the era I've voted for.

Anticon is more significant than the Wu-Tang Clan.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Yeah, when I was talking Golden Era possibly being a period to vote for, I meant like 85-88 type stuff. I guess I get confused between the titles of Golden Era and Golden Age.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I'm assuming the "Murda Inc Era" also includes Ruff Ryders and Roc-a-Fella, so that would narrowly edge out the Bad Boy era.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

All of my favorite tracks are from 96-99', so I guess that would be the Rawkus era right? Thats what I voted for. Although I was bumping a lot of Pen & Pixel stuff to.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

i guess i gotta go with the era that birthed 400 Degreez

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Let Jaz Down wrote:
ackbar wrote:if dipset continues on through rappers like french montana.. hyphy lives on through hbk, kool john, e-40's new single, young l, etc.
Cameron, you know damn well that HBK, DJ Mustard and the Ratchet movement is the continuation of Jerk not Hyphy.
yea but still. in a way it's all part of the same lineage
it makes sense to put records like 'slow down' under the same banner as 'sideshow'

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

(not that clyde carson is really a part of the ratchet movement.. just that the non-thug rap scene going on in the bay right now is like minded)

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

went with the dipset era with the swag hop era being a close runner up

IMO there is a good amount of 90's east coast hip hop that has not aged well

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

^^ :meh:
Moolah wrote:
Smithee wrote:I'd like to personally thank Andrew Bogut.
:cheers:

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

To be honest it's probably the Anticon/Hiero/Living Legends era for me but...I wasn't doin the most then. So based on the moves I was making @ the time, I had to pick the hyphy movement. Better memories.
Moolah wrote:
Smithee wrote:I'd like to personally thank Andrew Bogut.
:cheers:

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

bay area mobb music era for me...but since thats not an option.....prob rawkus movement.
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:went with the dipset era with the swag hop era being a close runner up

IMO there is a good amount of 90's east coast hip hop that has not aged well
I agree somewhat about the 90's east coast era. Most of it is timeless but some of the bottom level copiers of styles at the time made some pretty bad shit. Even some of the better artists made some bad stuff.

However, a bunch of that mid 2000's Dipset era shit ALREADY has not aged well and it's barely a decade old. That does not bode well for the future in terms of how it is going to be seen years from now. I love a lot of it, but jeez some of it sounds bad already.

That goes for the late 90's early 2000's ruff ryder era as well. God,a lot of that shit sounds terrible now.

step one

Post by step one »

Chances are whatever was popping when you first started going out, smoking, drinking and getting laid is gonna be your favourite shit.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

oh and im pretty confident that mobb music era would get more votes than hyphy era
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

polka dot era

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

predictable results. How the hell is gfunk/death row era not on the list