Rolling Check-In

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Mid-Year Check-in 2013

Post by Employee »

Let Jaz Down wrote:Employee, what's your Gunplay jam of choice in 2013????
Man, I love everything that guy does (nh @ "that guy does"). But I haven't really stayed up on him (nh @ "stayed up on him") this year beyond the videos I've seen and random tracks I've heard.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

More songs I excluded:

Opski Chan - "The Butt"

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tree's album has pretty much been all I've bumped with any consistency thus far this year.
Other stuff:
A bunch of joints by Shirt from his bandcamp page
Random joints off Gunplay's endless mixtapes
A few underachiever joints

I'm guessing this Run the Jewels is gonna get a decent amount of run as well but I just got it last week.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

El Rey wrote:Discuss your favorite shit so far,

Albums/ Mixtapes
Yelawolf - "Trunk Muzik Returns"
I really wanted to like this, but the best thing I could take from it was that he'd somehow managed to transform from looking like Gary Oldman in 5th Element on the first Trunk Muzik to looking like an instagram picture of Mac Dre circa 2003/2004 on the cover of this :

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Let Jaz Down wrote:

Albums/ Mixtapes
I really wanted to like this, but the best thing I could take from it was that he'd somehow managed to transform from looking like Gary Oldman in 5th Element on the first Trunk Muzik to looking like an instagram picture of Mac Dre circa 2003/2004 on the cover of this :

I like this joint (nh):

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Side note, IDAL's and my Avatar are kinda the same thing.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ADR

Post by ADR »

Let Jaz Down wrote:

Albums/ Mixtapes

My knee-jerk reaction was..."Faggot-ass beats. He's flailing now"

Upon finding out these are all productions fromg long time collaborator Will Power (Supahotbeats), I gave it a 2nd look and fell for it. I love everything about "Firestarter" including the creepy southern house fire sample,

"I opened up the door handle, kicked the door open
I reached for him, it was daarrrkkk
Had him in my arms, and...I didn't know, I I didn't know whether he was alive or dead
and that's the God's to honest truth.
God saves you for somethin'"

at the end of the day I haven't liked a Yelawolf release this much since Ball of Flames.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Let Jaz Down wrote:
unclebengi wrote:
I'm no Kanye fan either, but look at the event that he created for an album with no real singles. Lots of artists don't even make albums and lots of fans don't listen to them, but to say the format is dead is just stupid. Kanye and Kendrick are the two most copied rappers in the world right now and they're thriving through the album format.
Both of those albums are shitty and the type of people who care about them are the worst kind of middlebrow rap fans or, worse still, Mindbender.

Albums in 2013 are for the type of morons who actually care about "events" rather than the important stuff : music and video clips talking shit about other rappers/Twitpics where rappers pose with other rapper's stolen jewellery.
:rofl: you must not have gotten the memo that I'm very disappointed with 'Yeezus', and that I don't fuck with 'Good Kid Maad City' very much at all, especially that "B!tch Don't Kill My Vibe" Dee Barnes beatdown anthem bullshit, nor that wannabe Tupac "Martin had a dreeeeeeam" shit. Comparing it to Illmatic just shows how desperate people are these days for something significant.

And NO. Albums are a format that have existed for decades, that create an overall vision and a world for the fans to journey through, and solidify the hope that the musician isn't some one-hit wonder riding some trendy gimmick bandwagon. Albums don't have to be as long as 'Life After Death' in 2013, but a 10 song selection of thoughts and rhythms that shows the audience what time it is in the artist's mind and life is a fucking good thing for culture and business.

most cats don't advance the artform now, they just spin it in the same circles it's been in for years.
but I enjoy Run the Jewels.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Bender, you digging Killah Priest's Psychic World of Walter Reed? I'm asking because A) you said albums in 2013 don't have to be as long as Life After Death [this is and had to be IMO] and B) you are basically Canada's polyamorous answer to Killah Priest as far as I can tell, what with the aliens and the occult spirituality and all that good good.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:Bender, you digging Killah Priest's Psychic World of Walter Reed? I'm asking because A) you said albums in 2013 don't have to be as long as Life After Death [this is and had to be IMO] and B) you are basically Canada's polyamorous answer to Killah Priest as far as I can tell, what with the aliens and the occult spirituality and all that good good.
The funniest thing about your post is that it indicates that you believe you are a superior artist to Mindbender and probably think you have greater musical insights because you are a part of the bloggerati.

You're not.

:err:

Versive

Post by Versive »

No, you just read it that way. I honestly wanted his opinion on the album.

Go away.

P.S. I find it mildy upsetting/unsettling that you don't think the first of those two album covers is humorous and/or don't realize that it's supposed to be, and are attributing the 2nd of those two covers to myself when it's from a compilation I appeared on.
Last edited by Versive on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

You're one of the biggest rapper-blogger hybrid faggots who posts here.

You suck fat dicks in multiples and you rap like a woman.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Thanks?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I'm shaking your hand with my nuts.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Legitimate :lol:

Now I'd really like to hear what Mindbender has to say about the new KP album if you don't mind.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

That Killah Priest album was better than expected. Hell, Cappadonna's album, too.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ardamus wrote:That Killah Priest album was better than expected. Hell, Cappadonna's album, too.
The Wu's write-offs and backbenchers are making dope music this year.

Cappadonna >>>>>>>>>>>

Versive

Post by Versive »

Really didn't care for Cappa's, mainly because of poor recording/mixing/master quality though. That Inspectah Deck mixtape thing on the other hand...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:Really didn't care for Cappa's, mainly because of poor recording/mixing/master quality though.
This is why you suck: you don't know anything about mixing or mastering audio recordings. Nothing. Motherfuckers have lodged this same played out, weak ass complaint for years.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Lodged it against whom?

You don't need to be an engineer to know that Cap's vocals sound fucked up on his last album. The adlibs are all over the place, the levels are fucked. This is all obvious to the layman. And you lay men.

ADR

Post by ADR »

illuminati_guy wrote:songs:

Lil Herb & Lil Bibby- Play They Role [Prod. by C-Sick]
neverhearda

Checking in on these cats right now,

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:Lodged it against whom?
I don't know how many times you've made the same complaint because I don't follow shitty writers, but you used it here, with no context, which indicates you know nothing about audio engineering. So you reference it to fill up space or sound knowledgeable when you are really just a square bear.
Versive wrote:You don't need to be an engineer to know that Cap's vocals sound fucked up on his last album. The adlibs are all over the place, the levels are fucked. This is all obvious to the layman. And you lay men.
Stop listening to music exclusively on your laptop speakers, what, with their sweet ass modulation and dynamics and all.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I know its few and far between but i realized I never got into albums by Capp or Killah that much either. Both dope emcees though.

One of picks too has to be NoCanDo's Tits N Explosions. Sick album.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ardamus wrote: One of picks too has to be NoCanDo's Tits N Explosions. Sick album.
He has some really nice videos that go well with the album.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

as far as random jawnts not mentioned here yet, this one was great... high hopes for his ep

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Let Jaz Down wrote:Employee, what's your Gunplay jam of choice in 2013????

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote:
Versive wrote:Lodged it against whom?
I don't know how many times you've made the same complaint because I don't follow shitty writers, but you used it here, with no context, which indicates you know nothing about audio engineering. So you reference it to fill up space or sound knowledgeable when you are really just a square bear.
Versive wrote:You don't need to be an engineer to know that Cap's vocals sound fucked up on his last album. The adlibs are all over the place, the levels are fucked. This is all obvious to the layman. And you lay men.
Stop listening to music exclusively on your laptop speakers, what, with their sweet ass modulation and dynamics and all.

I don't own a laptop. My computer speakers are by Bose. They're pretty good. I also have some big cushy headphones by Panasonic and a decent if old stereo sytem with crispy-sounding speakers. And a car. I've listened the album in question through at least 3 of those and his vocals sounded like shit each time.

Again, you're reading (incorrectly) into my posts. I don't know why you're doing this, but it's not accomplishing anything. The vocals on Eyrth, Wynd and Fyre aren't mixed nearly as well as they are on The Pillage or The Yin and the Yang or Slang Prostitution. Or if it's not the mixing then it's the recording or the mastering. I'm not claiming to know anything about the sound recording process. I've actually stated the opposite on numerous occasions, but you wouldn't know that because you only follow non-shitty writers... cool... tell us more about which hip-hop bloggers you do and don't follow... great... Good day to you, sir.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Bitch got me over here sounding like Wicked for what?

His voice sounds fucked up. That's all there is to it. Listen to him on 12 Reasons to Die and then listen to his latest solo album. You're wrong.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

3rd World Mob - Versace Python Freestyle

Kool John - Is That Your Hoe? feat. NhT Boyz & ST Spittin

Ampichino - Lost My Soul feat. K-Jizzel & Angelo

Blast Holiday & Mike Larry - Gone feat. Tim Jr.

The Regime (Ampichino, Yukmouth, Young Bossi) - On My Own

YG - I'm A Real 1

DJ Mustard - Take It To The Neck feat. Clyde Carson & YG

those are a few off top. i'll post some more later. no time to think of an entire list right now