Drums you really admire

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

EichTurner

Drums you really admire

Post by EichTurner »

use this tread to post stand out drums you really like that you hear on rap tunes.. and maybe even speculate on how they got them..

i swear these drums blew my mind the first time i heard them... so f'n hard..

i mean i'm not sure you can get drums to hit like that ^^ just using ableton or software.. got have a drum machine yeah? maybe he just found some really good sounding kicks though.. ??? i don't know i don't hear drums hitting that hard too often..

add on if you got em!
illegal mind shoe lace

ardamus
O.G. Status

Re: Drums you really admire

Post by ardamus »

damn near any of the drums Black Milk uses. i don't know the particular breaks he's used but he impresses me a lot with what he uses.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Dilla for me. Dude did so much with so little a lot of the time. I mean shit like the Geek Down intro drums off the Shining... so simple but so heavy.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

yeah that first mad skillz beat i posted was dilla actually.. i'm by no means a dilla stan but i appreciated him much more when i started making beats.. a lot for the drums.. some of his shit with slum village is really wonderful for that reason too..

i haven't listened to black milk a lot but it does seem like he always has strong drums.. i noticed him mostly for his chops though..

do people save up kicks and snares sample wise? or do you use mostly drum kits.. like if i hear a good drum kick or snare on a soul song i'll chop it out and save it and i've been getting some good ones but i still resort to a drum kit especially for stuff with a southern feel obviously..
illegal mind shoe lace

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

Jamal - Beez like that
Almost all the drums on Mobb Deep tracks. But especially this one..
Dilated Peoples - Third degree
Q-Tip shit..

Reakwon - Incarcerated scarfaces
Every track with this drumbreak!

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

oh man that last q tip one is nice..

yeah that flying lotus stuff is cool i was trying to think of some really creative ones like that with different sounds.. something like this..

sometimes bronze nazareth has some really impressive stuff but it's always stylistic.. it's crazy how he works the drums in the chopped sample in with this..

illegal mind shoe lace

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

a lot of it boils down to good sequencing, drum selection (making sure the drum frequencies blend nicely with the samples) and/or some layering. Sometimes nudging a kick a fraction of a second before or after a bass note can turn a muddy kick into a full sounding kick that pops out of the mix.
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

yeah i've noticed that about nudging a kick right before a bass note.. i usually mess with all that stuff you were saying.. still haven't heard drums as hard as that first mad skillz track though, :lol: but i guess that's why he's j dilla.
illegal mind shoe lace

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Q-Tip's drums > Everybody else

Always been a fan of Timbaland's drums, even till the present day.

90% of Missy's catalog.

Almost anything Organized Noize touched.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Bomb Squad had so fuckin good drums

nothing needs to be said

I love a lot of early Neptunes drums. the sounds and the way they are programmed were really one of a kind

posted this in TROY aswell in another context. that album was good but wasn't really anything special but the drums on this joint are too ill. love the dynamics and they're perfectly in groove with the bassline wich is the most important thing about the rhythm programming imo

generally love drums where the kick is strong but there's a lot of space betwen the kicks so the hihat and snares can work their magic. also love those hihats

I love the drums on Diamond D's "shut the fuck up" the first snare comes doesn't hit on the 2 but later and it creates a great rhytmic effect. unfortunately haven't found a video on youtube
on this remix the drums bump even harder than on the original cut

rimshots always do it for me

dustyhands

Post by dustyhands »

ardamus wrote:damn near any of the drums Black Milk uses. i don't know the particular breaks he's used but he impresses me a lot with what he uses.
i saw a video in which black milk was layering his drum samples with real drums. i thought, "so that's his secret for getting his drums to knock". yes, his drums are ill. just like Public Enemy's brother's gonna work it out. it's "synthetic substitution" layered to death and i love it.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

dilla fa sho. probably my fav drummy track ever

as for genres outside hip-hop, paradox and nucleus are the most gangster mother fuckers in the drum world.

i'll always have love for those classes primo drums too

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

Shit.... forgot about that Oh No track... The energy those rides/openhats give to that track is amazing!

Talking bout Dilla..... Still Shining from Busta! Crazy programming