Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Neuro

Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

Post by Neuro »

one of the greatest instrumental albums ever

perabigail

Re: Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

Post by perabigail »

smooth sailin is my shit. i bumped the shit out of this album way back when.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I love this album!! I also own both versions on Vinyl and CD. Peep this ill Pete Rock "Smooth Sailing Mix" for De La Soul's joint "Tha Bizness" featuring Common Sense with one of the beats on the album...

And here's another one of the beats from this album which was used for Mekolicious featuring Rob-O back in '96...

^The song is not called "Mention Me", its called "What You Waiting For". *shrugs*

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Dayumn has it been 10 years already? remember buying the double album like yesterday

I love it how Pete flips really well known samples to make something fresh

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

"For The People" was always my shit. Surviving Elements was a nice follow up release.

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

boring
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

alpha

Post by alpha »

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:boring
Faggot

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

love the instrumentals on this, the vocal cuts not so much... should've made it 100% instrumental, like the title suggests (imo)

edit: in fact 'back on the block' with CL is nice, not feeling the others.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

I did this last year using beats from both versions of "Petestrumentals", might be worth listening to if you can endure French rapping lol :

http://kohndo.bandcamp.com/album/the-so ... ds-free-dl

Jaundus Bee

Post by Jaundus Bee »

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:boring
LoL

:larry:

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

vaporized2 wrote:love the instrumentals on this, the vocal cuts not so much... should've made it 100% instrumental, like the title suggests (imo)

theres more vocals in this 10 year anni edition ive noticed than the original

Verge

Post by Verge »

Neuro wrote:
vaporized2 wrote:love the instrumentals on this, the vocal cuts not so much... should've made it 100% instrumental, like the title suggests (imo)

theres more vocals in this 10 year anni edition ive noticed than the original
This had 2 pressings back around when it dropped, i think one had a couple of extra vocal cuts and an extra beat, not sure.

Anyways, this was the kind of thing that gets my goat about pr. That he's capable of making such a superb instrumental album and then after this he put out nothing on the same level. Maybe a couple of joints here or there but nothing touching this and his production on TMI. But still he refuses to clean out the closet and let all those next level gems he has surface. Ehh, whatever, not like im waiting for him to drop anything of any significance ever again.

Great album though, reminds me of a specific time and place.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

are these instrumentals actually from mid 90s then? They do sound closer to Main Ingredient era than Soul Survivor and beyond...

Agree that pete should release some old archive material from th vaults. What about those beats he did for the Big L/redman/jay z/MOP etc. remixes that surfaced a couple of years back in the form of bad radio rips. Some of his best stuff imo, or sounded like it
Last edited by vaporized2 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ian e

Post by ian e »

As I recall, initially this had been a collection of instrumentals collecting dust in Pete's studio. Note that it was the first installment in BBE's "Beat Generation" series, where producers were given free creative reign over the conception of their albums. So what Pete did, was to collect a few instrumentals from the 90's, add two songs featuring The U.N. (Cake and Nothing Lesser) and send it to the label. This version of the album got released in 2001 accompanied by a 12" featuring Roc Marciano (Give It To Ya'll) and The U.N. (Nothing Lesser).
Next up was Dilla's contribution to the series, where he offered vocal songs, instrumentals, cover versions and incarnations of Detroit techno and (brazilian) funk. I remember Pete saying in an interview how blown away he had been by Dilla's effort and how he decided to update his contribution to the series. That's why a second version of the Petestrumentals featuring new instrumentals and vocal songs (amongst those Back On The Block w/ C.L. Smooth, which had been a Japan-only release from 2000) got released in 2002. I guess, the "10th Anniversary Expanded & Limited Edition" which BBE released in 2011 collects all songs released on those different versions: http://www.discogs.com/Pete-Rock-PeteSt ... se/2915701

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

cool. s'pose that would make more sense.

to be honest I didn't rate dilla's BBE thing that much...

ian e

Post by ian e »

I liked it (mostly for the vocal songs on there) but I see why some wouldn't. The thing is all over the place.