Lord Jamar vs. Yelawolf

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: Lord Jamar vs. Yelawolf

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Yelawolf can speak his mind of course, but he puts himself in a very awkward position when he, as a white man, wants to correct something that historically is a black subculture (hiphop). Any pro-gay reform, or other attempts to streamline rap to mainstream politics, should come from within rather than from an outsider. There's stong connotations to Kipling's idea of white man's burden (the duty of whites to civilize the perceived savages) when a white, to use Yelawolf's house-metaphor, enters a predominantly black house and tells them how to rearrange their furniture.
"White man's burden" is the realest fucking shit around. Every god damn white man needs to be aware of this phenomenon, and deal with it righteously and respectfully. You don't know certain shit.

Just like ALL FUCKING MEN ON THE PLANET DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE A WOMAN, and suffer shit like menstruation and childbirth. You can't fucking "empathize" and "feel for them" on a level that equates to their experience, and anyone pretending to is just being a fucking IDIOT. You can learn, and learn, and learn, and care, and care, and care. And then just keep learning and caring. Over and over.

White man often can't learn about the current status of Black people's CENTURIES-LONG STRUGGLE FROM TOTAL ENSLAVEMENT TO THIS CURRENT STATE OF PHYSICAL FREEDOM BUT TOTAL ECONOMIC AND PSYCHOLOGICAL ENSLAVEMENT without saying dumb shit like "lol @ people discussing this as a serious issue" and other obnoxiously ignorant, privleged and fucking idiotic displays of selfish, problematic behavior, ironically not far from what Lord Jamar is proposing. White men also don't often REALLY REALLY TRULY care about shit in life like equality and justice and redistribution of wealth and power, which are all issues that ALL people should CARE about... but white men observably care about it the LEAST, because it affects them the least. :bunk: x :fail:

Every fucking thing Lord Jamar is saying and doing in this situation is making me lose mountains of respect for him, and Yelawolf has been pretty much the bigger, better man in the entire situation... except when he said "Lord Jamar can suck my cracker balls" or whatever. That's when you start playing the fucking macho violent rhetoric pissing competition bullshit that is far fucking beyond pathetic.

God doesn't behave like the Devil to exact righteous justice.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

^^ anyone else smells pussy on this nigga?

step one

Post by step one »

On behalf of White People, I'd like to clarify that we are not directly or indirectly responsible for Mindbender's idiocy in any way, shape or form.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

MB, I get the feeling you don't know what "white man's burden" means or the origins of the term, which is weird because you like to say it often http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Man's_Burden

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I wrote in the post you quoted. Try reading it again perhaps.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:MB, I get the feeling you don't know what "white man's burden" means or the origins of the term, which is weird because you like to say it often http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Man's_Burden

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I wrote in the post you quoted. Try reading it again perhaps.
Hey white man,
I get the feeling you don't like my interpretation OF MY OWN PERCEPTION and your suggested theory. I continue not to care. And I don't really speak on "the white man's burden" very often, I don't know where you got that notion. I am very aware of the concept that the white man pretends he is burdened with anything but another extention of his centuries-long experience of privilege and white supremist benefit and luxury when compared to the Black Man's ACTUAL Burden of trying to escape both physical and psychological enslavement since he was dragged to America.

In Yelawolf's case, he has the right to say anything he wants. It's not like white people can't criticize black people. It's just that they have to be AS FULLY AWARE AS POSSIBLE of the mountains of history and suffering and exploitation and extreme race relations that exist as the foundation upon which this current reality rests upon. So whatever Yelawolf says, or any other white person says about race and hip hop, needs to keep Black history in mind and not be ignorant, insensitive or divisive.

Which is exactly what I see Lord Jamar doing. Who cares if Yelawolf is "just a tenant in the house of African artistry". He has a place, and everyone is to be respected in that place if it is going to thrive. Yelawolf's not using the white man's burden excuse in his story to me, I think he's just being the more logical person, until he starts sinking to Jamar's level of violent macho foolish rhetoric, which does nothing to solve the "problem" he is speaking about, nor make him look like a member of Brand Nubian. It's not Yelawolf's duty to civilize Lord Jamar cause Jamar shoulda been had that done in 92. But he may need a reminder again, cause he's slippin on his lessons, and the god in the so-called devil that is Yelawolf might have been the surprise inspector that exposed the mental repairs badly needed in the House of Jamar.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Its worth remembering that a lot of rappers doing the 'black awareness' thing in the late 80s/early 90s were faking it as much as the thugged-out coke rappers were 10 years later, its just nobody minded about that because it was "positive".

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

step one

Post by step one »

is there a way to automatically ban anyone who make any reference - positive or negative - to Macklemore from now on in?

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

step one wrote:Its worth remembering that a lot of rappers doing the 'black awareness' thing in the late 80s/early 90s were faking it as much as the thugged-out coke rappers were 10 years later, its just nobody minded about that because it was "positive".
can you back that "a lot" statement up with a list?

i have no idea why, but i'm also interested in your explanation as to how one would fake awareness?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Schoolly D's Am I Black Enough For You? album would be the most obvious example of what Step is talking about: same old ig'nant Schoolly, just with a few trendy buzzwords and African pendants thrown in for good measure.

The near-exact same trick was repeated nearly 20 years later by Jeezy on The Recession.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

:edit:

now i'm stoned and i realize that i'm probably just trolling and i apologize.

PEACE

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

Off topic, if you just scroll down and don't click the RA. video, it looks like he is playing a keyboard.
NICE CAT!

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

Rob Sonic wrote:don't click the RA.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Let Jaz Down wrote:Schoolly D's Am I Black Enough For You? album would be the most obvious example of what Step is talking about: same old ig'nant Schoolly, just with a few trendy buzzwords and African pendants thrown in for good measure.
You trippin. Album was way deeper than "same old ig'nant Schoolly" as was its followup, Welcome to America. Revisit then come back to me.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

BARRY LURKIN wrote:
:lol:

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

Larry2times wrote:
BARRY LURKIN wrote:
NICE CAT!

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

sean wrote::edit:

PEACE
Shouldn't have deleted the whole thing. You brought up some interesting points.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

maybe. but it would've been better received without my baiting.
and probably better to have this conversation with kev-daddy-beacham, and the other dudes around my office.
sometimes i forget that i don't know most of the people here.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

beacham would definitely have some good points; i like reading his commentary on hip hop when i see his FB feed from time to time.
but i agree, you shouldn't have deleted it. read it myself earlier.
and you know me, son. :cheers:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

step one

Post by step one »

Let Jaz Down wrote:Schoolly D's Am I Black Enough For You? album would be the most obvious example of what Step is talking about: same old ig'nant Schoolly, just with a few trendy buzzwords and African pendants thrown in for good measure.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: There's stong connotations to Kipling's idea of white man's burden (the duty of whites to civilize the perceived savages)
:rofl:
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

sean wrote:
step one wrote:Its worth remembering that a lot of rappers doing the 'black awareness' thing in the late 80s/early 90s were faking it as much as the thugged-out coke rappers were 10 years later, its just nobody minded about that because it was "positive".
can you back that "a lot" statement up with a list?

i have no idea why, but i'm also interested in your explanation as to how one would fake awareness?
:spidey:

honestly, I have to step one in and question buddy's questions. :naswtf:

I hate to turn this into a black/white thing, because it REALLY is WAY more complex than that, and every single person has their own work to do in helping rescue earth reality from the scourge of slavery and self-destruction that has black plagued humanity since before the concept of "race" ruined everything around here... but:

WHITE BOY, BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR FUCKING WORDS. We're at the point where a whole bunch of white power and privlege can distort and warp what happened in the 90's because of the tendencies of white men and modern internet miseducation and personal journalism and revisionist historian fuckory. Don't be part of the problem. (I know that's hard for a cynic like you, but... TRY)

What I'm saying is: maybe some of the rappers doing the 'black awareness' thing weren't faking it as much as the coked-out rappers were... but forces bigger than then ACTUALLY succeeded in killing the knowledge-of-self-empowerment era that hip hop was cultivating for its citizens in the late 80's/early 90's. These people weren't "faking it". Tragedy Khadafi might have been The Intelligent Hoodlum back in the days, sure. But The Intelligent Hoodlum's pro-Black consciousness was accepted by the audience by the forces of market standards, and may have been adjusted by 1995 when "Cuban Linx/The Infamous/The Chronic/Doggystyle" era gave all hip hop heads new "heroes" to emulate and new personalities beyond the KRS-Ones, the Rakims, the Queen Latifahs, and the Big Daddy Kanes.

Whether it was some gangsta Robin Hood shit of robbing the rich white man to give back to the ghetto (and themself in the process) , or trying to EDUTAIN the yout dem about their stolen history regarding being a pro-Black rebel hero: HIP HOP HAS ALWAYS (MOSTLY) BEEN ABOUT THE OPPRESSED SEEKING JUSTICE, MONEY, POWER AND RESPECT: BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

You can't sit here and imply that Poor Righteous Teachers didn't mean any of the words they said and gave up on their path because they didn't become as big as The Fugees.

Leave it to a :smugkid: white guy to sit comfortable with the ethnocentric audacity to judge that a Black person is rhyming with "fake awareness". GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE LIKE GTFOH :roll:

Beanie Sigel can't "fake awareness". He's like MANY Black men in hip hop history and North American history: aware of the benefits of such spiritual systems like Islam, but also made VERY FUCKING AWARE of his undesired Black energy in certain social circles, his lack of opportunity for economic equality in Philadelphia, his probably constant racial profiling, and the fact that no matter how fucking peaceful or devout Muslim he becomes, he is still a BLACK MAN IN AMERICA, which means he could just get killed for breathing.

So a Black man could get hated and/or killed for being a Young Jeezy type of brother, or he could get hated and/or killed for being a Fred Hampton type of brother. THIS HAS NOT CHANGED IN A FUCKING 100 YEARS.

America is more evil than the worst Black man at his crack-selling, woman-pimping, baby-shooting lowest point of self-destruction, and it would serve you well to remember that truth while you are saying such fucking obnoxiously ignorant statements like "Black people were faking their awareness of their Blackness". :clay:

I'm starting to think that Hacksaw Jim Thuggin's post might be the incontrovertible truth. Will white guys ever learn? :killacam:

or are we back to 1989 on some: "IT'S A BLACK THING: YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND" shit?

I almost think we've come full circle, Brother Sean Daley.
Time for another "Fight The Power"-level record.

And if white people ain't singing along too: GET THE FUCK OUT OF HIP HOP CULTURE :copy:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

step one

Post by step one »

Obviously didnt read all that (FYI: no one ever does) but Kane and Rakim are two examples of dudes that rolled with the whole NOI/Afrocentricity trend while not strictly adhering to those philosophies. Obviously some artists believed in it and lived it but for others it was a trend like anything else and people jumped on the bandwagon. Same with weed smoking - rappers rarely used to mention that and then Redman, Cypress Hill and Dre blew up and everyone is smoking blunts all of a sudden, then Biggie comes out and everyone rocks Versace.
Meek Mill might be the most educated, politically minded, pro black dude there is but unless that shit comes back into fashion you'll never know it.

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

The near-exact same trick was repeated nearly 20 years later by Jeezy on The Recession.
I would also throw in Success-N-Effect's Drive By Of a Revolutionist in the mix of the pro black bullshit. I mean their first two albums were on the party/bass/gangsta rap style. then their last album (probably to try and stay relevent, of course it failed) was on some black conciousness with a sprinkle of black militant elements. Faggits will do anything for a paycheck

self

Post by self »

thread delivered.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Combo7 wrote:
sean wrote::edit:

PEACE
Shouldn't have deleted the whole thing. You brought up some interesting points.
I hate when I miss out on reading wisdom-filled posts by intelligent people who quickly delete them because they give up on the hope of their rarefied intelligence being fully appreciated, acknowledged and replied to by :phila: flavians with equal insight and respected logic.

what he did :lastweek: is worth :cheers: to me. and i wish i was in that conversation with sluggo and kevin beacham. i like the idea of having conversations with GROWN MEN not on some childish petty trolling egotistical one-upsmanship popularity contest. there was a time when people liked looking like the smartest guy in the thread (though it was rarely Thun, as much as he wanted to pretend it was, LOLOL). now, it's mostly the opposite.

and yeah, of course a white guy didn't read everything a black guy said. STEP OFF! :rofl:

isn't that the point of this thread, and hip hop culture in general? black guys screaming about shit that white people ignore.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

That 'respect the culture" shit is annoying. How does somebody like Yelawolf not respect hip-hop enough? It's such a cheap way for somebody who is irrelevant and bitter to say. Does Mac Lethal or Alaska need to get a degree from the Temple of Hip-Hop in order to rap?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

So I guess if Sadat X will have the most output as far as albums go, Jamar is gonna match that with these Vlad TV, WorldStarHipHop, and HipHopDX rants.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner