Grouch & Eligh Triple Album (kickstarter)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ardamus
O.G. Status

Grouch & Eligh Triple Album (kickstarter)

Post by ardamus »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the ... y-the-grou
We’re The Grouch and Eligh, and we’re extremely proud to finally announce our upcoming project, The Tortoise & The Crow!

We’re going above and beyond with this one ya'll, and delivering a triple album! Not just any old triple album, we're making history with this. One full length solo Grouch disc, one full length Eligh disc, and one full length G&E disc. For all of our supporters and fans, you get all 3 dimensions in one shot. We're on track to release this project in February 2014.

If you’re on this page and reading this, chances are you’re already a believer in The Grouch and/or Eligh. For that, we send our deepest appreciation and gratitude. We have the best fans in the world and you and I know it!

You probably also know that we've ALWAYS been INDEPENDENT even before it was COOL. From 4 track recordings and dubbed cassettes, all night sessions at Kinko’s and slanging tapes by hand on the streets of Oakland and LA until we had enough $$$ for bus fare and a slice… we've come a looooong way. Still, all we know is DIY and we aren’t ashamed to say it. Ironically, with the music industry scrambling and desperate for any kind of sales, we could easily sign a record deal for our next album but that's never been our style.

Instead, we’re signing with YOU, our loyal friends, family and fans. We’re taking our independent journey to the next level with this Kickstarter campaign. The funds we raise will help us execute a proper album release and cycle, which includes marketing, manufacturing merchandise (which is ONLY available here), touring, transportation, and etc. - we want this to be our biggest album to date.

But it’s not just about the money. This Kickstarter campaign is about formally recognizing and involving you, our most loyal supporters, into our careers and our lives. As you can see in the reward tiers to the right, we’re not just selling music. We’re offering pieces of ourselves. Besides the music, we’re most excited about really opening up our journey to our best fans.

Don’t sleep on the sonics though. Musically, this triple disc project is our most ambitious release to date! This body of work shows so many in depth dimensions of The Grouch & Eligh. The E album is totally different from The G album, the G&E album is completely unique as well. We have such a variety of sounds and messages, we really could have released this as three separate projects -- every album stands on its own but together we found the answer.

This is way it had to be. Just doing solo albums wouldn’t fulfill our souls right now. Neither would a straight-up G&E album. We’ve grown exponentially in recent years, and we’re such an integral part of each other’s path's. With these albums, we’re circling up on decades of growth and experiences.

Join us on our journey up. We’ve set a public goal of $50,000 though with this campaign we receive money only once our goal is reached. Secretly, we hope to go way beyond our goal. Even once we've raised a million, not a single dollar will go to waste :) If you know anything about us, you know we know how to utilize our assets. Let’s shock the world again with how far our community can go. We’ve done it on the streets, its now time to take it online.

Much Love,

The Grouch and Eligh
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Grouch & Eligh Triple Album (kickstarter)

Post by Philaflava »

I applaud them. I do believe there are differences of opinion on this though, most obvious, the artist (fellow artists too) and the investor/music lover.

Reality is, many will DL this album once its made available, regardless of their support. I can't condone that, but I also won't play innocent either.

They are basically asking for at least $50,000 to create 3 albums worth material. The concept is good. You like G&E and want to hear more of them, well support them now and reap later. I get it, I actually think it's a good model.

BUT the cynic in me feels like I should be supporting if the music warrants it. Any investor wants an ROI, not just strategy. And there lies the problem. The whole purchasing vs. downloading. I almost always download an album, especially if I've been burned a few times before. Sample it and then buy it if I dig. There are only a handful of artists I'll cop off Tunes regardless of a listen, like The Roots, DOOM, Roc Marci, Ka, most official Wu release, and of course people that have supported me or who music I really like such as Meyhem, OME, Atmosphere, G-Side, Sean P...

This isn't so much about G&E, rather how this whole Kickstarter thing will soon become the norm for most indie cats.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

isn't 50 racks an absurd amount, even for a triple album when they probably already have all the musical gear needed to make an album?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I briefly read but that money was going to be used for touring, transportation and distro of said album.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I have my weird points about kickstarter as well. I don't like the fact that they select and get choosey with projects when they are probably passing up some good folks who could turn out a great project. And also, they let people who probably already have enough money to do what they would like to do just utilize them for whatever they want. For G&E though, they've always been indie so I think it completely makes sense that they use this. Hope they reach their goal.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

Philaflava wrote: BUT the cynic in me feels like I should be supporting if the music warrants it. Any investor wants an ROI, not just strategy. And there lies the problem. The whole purchasing vs. downloading. I almost always download an album, especially if I've been burned a few times before. Sample it and then buy it if I dig. There are only a handful of artists I'll cop off Tunes regardless of a listen, like The Roots, DOOM, Roc Marci, Ka, most official Wu release, and of course people that have supported me or who music I really like such as Meyhem, OME, Atmosphere, G-Side, Sean P...

This isn't so much about G&E, rather how this whole Kickstarter thing will soon become the norm for most indie cats.

i know you probably know this but the idea of ROI for a potential investement opportunity would be estimated using previous models and product releases, experience and fundamental metrics. I think what kick starter is doing is bringing the concept of investment markets to the average person who doesn't necessarily understand them The problem is it's relying on an intangible form of return so its pretty difficult to quantify. but most people realize this subconsciously. as with any investment, you have to feel if your money will return you a certain level of utility you associate with it. which is why i think these stories that flesh out the "Reason" for the kickstarter program are so important for it, because it taps into an emotional response that ties you to the issue or cause.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Kickstarter gives anyone a real chance at success. And by success, I mean being able to properly fund an album, promote it and distribute it.​ It gives you the opportunity to go after producers who you don't know or who don't owe you a favor and buy beats in the thousands. It allows you to cop verses a lot easier. We all know what Sadat X, Sean P and Kool G's going rates are. It allows somebody like yourself, or any rapper on here to go public and hope you got some investors.

What I'm not fond of, is that it allows anyone to do this. There is no real responsibility when it comes to the funds. Many say they disclosed all, but it is not. Nobody is to stop you from celebrating your goal being met with a $3,000 bar tab among your friends complimentary of the investors. Nobody knows if you paid 9th Wonder $5K for a beat or $2K People buy into a dream and hope that dream becomes reality. The problem is once you're a share holder I feel you have a right to know all about business you're investing in, at least a lot it.

It can get messy when this applies to everyone. Nobody can stop you from doing a kick starter and while you need to have some following, persuasion and demand in order to achieve a certain amount of funds, anyone with some will can make it happen.

G&E aren't newbies. They've been putting out music since the 90s and they've built up enough respect from the hustle and their catalog to ask for something like this. I'm playing the other side though. Esp for those who aren't G&E.

Say I want to open up a restaurant but I can't get the loan. I open up a kick starter and ask all of you to donate to help me. Say I reach my goal to start the restaurant. I say, anyone who invests will get to eat the food for free. That is your ROI. You helped me start a business and in return you will eat my food for free. Not all my food. Not all the time. Just this one meal I plan to cook for you in appreciation. I don't get to tell you what kind of beef it is. Could be grass feed, could be pumped with antibiotics. You don't know the deals I have with my vendors, you just know what is on the menu and you know you got a meal coming your way. After you have the meal, whether you enjoy it or not, I still have my restaurant. A restaurant, that I did not have to put up any coin for and a restaurant I will continue to profit on once you finish your meal.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

chapter thrive wrote: which is why i think these stories that flesh out the "Reason" for the kickstarter program are so important for it, because it taps into an emotional response that ties you to the issue or cause.
100%

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote: Say I reach my goal to start the restaurant. I say, anyone who invests will get to eat the food for free. That is your ROI. Not all my food. Not all the time. Just this one meal I plan to cook for you in appreciation
I think this is a fair model, it basically amounts to blind-buying the album when you believe in the artist.

IE. I know your group, and I'm willing to give the amount equal to buying the album to your group without hearing it, as an investment toward creating the said album. When the process is done, assuming the kickstarter is successful, my donation allows me a free copy of your album. Just as if I had bought it without a preview, no more no less.

Larger donations can be negotiated with bonus shwag - posters, deluxe editions, brunch dates etc. If I'm disappointed in the album, sucks for me. But the foundation of the transaction needs to be the agreement that my donation buys me at least the full album.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

See, this is part of the reason why I made sure I titled it with kickstarter in the title. I don't think people talk about the ups and downs for this. But groups like G&E technically are built for this kind promotion and they've honestly earned it.

artMajor

Post by artMajor »

Dudes need some beats light years away from the LL standard. Elighs Therapy at 3 with amp live was great

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

i dunno, established people with a fanbase using kickstarter is kinda against what kickstarter is supposed to be for but then again look what happens

http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/

so maybe someone reliable whos guaranteed to not escape delivering on their promise is the preferred kickstartee

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

I much prefer their forays into mob music and hyphy though so wtf do I know

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Larry2times wrote:I much prefer their forays into mob music and hyphy though so wtf do I know
yes please leave. you're trying too hard......again. but thanks for that link.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Larry2times wrote:i dunno, established people with a fanbase using kickstarter is kinda against what kickstarter is supposed to be for
this only makes sense if established = funding, which is far from the norm. plenty of people have some sort of fanbase and artistic acclaim with no or little financial backing

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Great artists, but Kickstarter is a sad, terrible place. If you can't get your shit off the ground there are usually deeply ingrained reasons. Asking strangers to paper over those reasons with greenbacks is tasteless to say the least.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:
Philaflava wrote: Say I reach my goal to start the restaurant. I say, anyone who invests will get to eat the food for free. That is your ROI. Not all my food. Not all the time. Just this one meal I plan to cook for you in appreciation
I think this is a fair model, it basically amounts to blind-buying the album when you believe in the artist.

IE. I know your group, and I'm willing to give the amount equal to buying the album to your group without hearing it, as an investment toward creating the said album. When the process is done, assuming the kickstarter is successful, my donation allows me a free copy of your album. Just as if I had bought it without a preview, no more no less.

Larger donations can be negotiated with bonus shwag - posters, deluxe editions, brunch dates etc. If I'm disappointed in the album, sucks for me. But the foundation of the transaction needs to be the agreement that my donation buys me at least the full album.
Everything you listed can be done during the roll out of the album without Kickstarter. And asking for $50K for a triple album (which reads like a Tim Dog scheme, but whatevs) is not a "fair model": it's high-tech begging.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Employee wrote: Everything you listed can be done during the roll out of the album without Kickstarter.
How do you get to the roll out if you don't have money to finish the actual album?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Employee wrote:Great artists, but Kickstarter is a sad, terrible place. If you can't get your shit off the ground there are usually deeply ingrained reasons. Asking strangers to paper over those reasons with greenbacks is tasteless to say the least.
:cheers: welcome back, sir.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thread has been viewed almost 300 times, yet only a handful of us attempted to have a discussion. Employee returns and drops ether, which I'm willing to bet a chunk of those 300 views feels very similar.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Thread has been viewed almost 300 times, yet only a handful of us attempted to have a discussion. Employee returns and drops ether, which I'm willing to bet a chunk of those 300 views feels very similar.
:bork:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

It'd be easier to get behind this if it wasnt a triple album. Projects of that magnitude just seem unnecessary and passe in 2013.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

keep in mind that this is the age of releasing 5 projects in a year long span to stay relevant, and a triple album actually doesnt seem ridiculous.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Out of all of the triple albums released in hip-hop what's the ratio of good to bad?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Kickstarter is phenomenal. the fact guys like G&E, who built their brand on being indie, are using it is lol/smh
Last edited by capable_keL on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Interesting move, and I hope it works out for them... but this is a Bandcamp/DatPiff/Spotify world now, for the most part. Seeing as they're at 15k already, they'll probably reach their goal. I wonder how much cash is coming from overseas.

Dap

Post by Dap »

what happens if you donate money and they don't reach their goal? do you get that money back?

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Dap wrote:what happens if you donate money and they don't reach their goal? do you get that money back?
Pretty sure you are only charged if the project meets its initial funding goal.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

LameAim wrote:
Dap wrote:what happens if you donate money and they don't reach their goal? do you get that money back?
Pretty sure you are only charged if the project meets its initial funding goal.
yea, they just put a hold for the amount on your card until the goal is met.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I had some weird thoughts about this album all typed up before I hit the kickstarter link, then deleted them because I realized they are using this song to ask for $50K

PEACE