Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Re: :: 25 Years Ago... 1988 ::

Post by Blockhead »

hellriser wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
hellriser wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:Ultramagnetic is the only one out of the bunch that's listenable.

only ultramag record and pe aged well from this list ,and maybe slick rick
Jesus christ guys, get it together with these awful opinions.
Now I'm starting to feel like how Wicked must feel 24/7...with less asian fetish though.
relax this is wicked thread.. :lol:
Oops.
Still, I think Chamerz was serious...

observe911

Post by observe911 »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
observe911 wrote:Fuck that list..it's all about this album

My perogative>>>>>>>>any rap song in 88
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :bow:

anyone who had good taste + ears in 1998 had this song in their life for a GOOD while

so tell meee tell meeeeee whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :bunny:
I'm black..what do you expectImage
PAWGing

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

mindbender just posted four times in a row
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

so wat

stick to 1988, son
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Kony Montana wrote:mindbender just posted four times in a row
ONCE FOR EACH OF THA 4 ELEMENTZ
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

PE, EPMD, Biz Markie, and Ultramag are the only ones I'd likely listen to front to back nowadays. BDP, Jungle Bros, BDK, Eric B and Rakim, Stetsasonic, and a few others could be played in part comfortably, but that's about it.

A lot of these records sound like products of their era. It's a subjective call whether it's a good or a bad thing, but the songs on most of these albums would stick out like a sore thumb if you put them in a mix of songs from multiple eras. Fast forward even just to 1989 and rap music has a whole sounds just a little bit more polished and modern without sacrificing experimentation (many would argue it does just the opposite.) But yeah, '88 is the last gasp of the "old school," it was not by accident that Audio Two said "fuck it" and put out a record that sounded like 1985.

None of these are anywhere close to "unlistenable," the majority of them are very good to great for what they are, but very few will be revisited in their entirety by anyone under 50 on any regular basis. Let's be honest.

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

observe911 wrote:Fuck that list..it's all about this album

My perogative>>>>>>>>any rap song in 88
This was actually my first cassette tape.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

Thun wrote:PE, EPMD, Biz Markie, and Ultramag are the only ones I'd likely listen to front to back nowadays. BDP, Jungle Bros, BDK, Eric B and Rakim, Stetsasonic, and a few others could be played in part comfortably, but that's about it.

A lot of these records sound like products of their era. It's a subjective call whether it's a good or a bad thing, but the songs on most of these albums would stick out like a sore thumb if you put them in a mix of songs from multiple eras. Fast forward even just to 1989 and rap music has a whole sounds just a little bit more polished and modern without sacrificing experimentation (many would argue it does just the opposite.) But yeah, '88 is the last gasp of the "old school," it was not by accident that Audio Two said "fuck it" and put out a record that sounded like 1985.

None of these are anywhere close to "unlistenable," the majority of them are very good to great for what they are, but very few will be revisited in their entirety by anyone under 50 on any regular basis. Let's be honest.
It's true. A lot of these a "singles" records, especially Eric B and Rakim. The most listenable one for me may be Great Adventures. Only a few tracks I skip.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Thun wrote:PE, EPMD, Biz Markie, and Ultramag are the only ones I'd likely listen to front to back nowadays. BDP, Jungle Bros, BDK, Eric B and Rakim, Stetsasonic, and a few others could be played in part comfortably, but that's about it.

Of course, we can't pretend they aren't what they are: nostalgic time capsules of a former time in life and culture. But to ignore WHAT THEY ACTUALLY ARE is fucking preposterous.

"Unlistenable". How fucking ignorant, rapingly revisionist and wildly inaccurate is that opinion? :bunk: to the tits.

There obviously are NO MORE sacred spaces left in hip hop. Can we not even collectively remember to agree to show some fucking respect to 1988? LOL!

They don't gotta love or like the shit, but you damn sure better respect it, motherfuckers.

THE FIFTH ELEMENT OF HIP HOP IS A KICK IN THE ASS WHEN YOU FUCK UP :shittylikesometp:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

oh damn, even I had that Bobby Brown tape when it came out, and I wasn't even into R&B like that.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Larry2times wrote:Kid N Gay, Spazzy Jeff & The Fresh Turd, Slob Base & DJ EZ Cock and Too Shart?? GTFOH with that mainstream fake garbage son!!! 14 yr old Wicked must have been a straight fgt, and thats just being real.....

That bullshit aint hip-hop, youve gotta be kiddin me!!!!
:lol:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Jesus christ me and teh gawd Snackbeezie are almost the same age. the fuck have I done with my life.