Dre, Iovine & Reznor team up for "Beats" streaming service

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ian e

Dre, Iovine & Reznor team up for "Beats" streaming service

Post by ian e »

Algorithm for Your Personal Rhythm
Beats Music Enters Online Streaming Market

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Jimmy Iovine, whose career as a recording engineer, producer and music executive stretches from John Lennon to Lady Gaga, was proudly showing off some of his hits one afternoon last month at a boutique recording studio here.

He passed through rooms where Eminem and Gwen Stefani made records and pointed to the console on which Dr. Dre recorded his landmark 1992 album, “The Chronic.” The studio walls were crammed with pictures of Steve Jobs, Bono and other celebrities sampling the bass-heavy Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, which — at up to $450 apiece — have become a billion-dollar success story.

Yet he was most excited to talk about his next project, Beats Music, a subscription streaming service he founded with Dr. Dre that will challenge Spotify, Pandora and Apple’s new iTunes Radio in the battle over how people consume music online. With Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails as the service’s chief creative officer, Mr. Iovine — whose skill as an impresario and all-around salesman has few equals in the industry — is betting that Beats Music can solve a problem that most music fans may not realize they have: deciding what to listen to.

“What song comes next,” he said, “is as important as what song is playing now.”

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/arts/ ... =auto&_r=0

:lastweek:

sleazy_j

Re: Dre, Iovine & Reznor team up for "Beats" streaming servi

Post by sleazy_j »

lens flare really ties that picture together.

i think this will fail. especially because there's no free option to preview the service, and their competition has already existed as a free option.

i think what made Beats sell so well from the jump was Dre's name added to it, and that headphones in general weren't looked as a fashion accessory as heavily before then.
iovine and interscope put mad loot into making sure the headphones were seen as brand name clothing, and even made it mandatory that all a&m/interscope/geffen
artists were seen using Beats headphones in their music videos.
shout out to yelawolf for "most creative use" of that situation.
so, actually, they were selling the next Rocawear, since Dre never did a fashion line before, and it also had a secondary use:
the first ever battery-powered fashionable headphones. and the public ate it up.
i noticed that surprisingly, finally in the last year, Shade45 shows like Sway finally switched over from the tried and true
damn near industry standard studio staple Sony MVR-600s to using Beats headphones. i'm surprised it took them so long.
i'm still confused as to why 50 and Luda still attempt to shill for headphones.

anyhow, selling a music service can't be easily sold as a fashion accesory, which was their advantage with Beats.
i'd laugh at the idea of an NBA player endorsing a streaming music service, but i won't be surprised when it happens.
Last edited by sleazy_j on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

sleazy_j wrote:lens flare really ties that picture together.
that and the facial expressions being straight out of

http://womenlaughingalonewithsalad.tumblr.com/
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

sleazy_j wrote:i noticed that surprisingly, finally in the last year, Shade45 shows like Sway finally switched over from the tried and true
damn near industry standard studio staple Sony MVR-600s to using Beats headphones. i'm surprised it took them so long.
i'm still confused as to why 50 and Luda still attempt to shill for headphones.

anyhow, selling a music service can't be easily sold as a fashion accesory, which was their advantage with Beats.
i'd laugh at the idea of an NBA player endorsing a streaming music service, but i won't be surprised when it happens.
I've seen sportscasters wearing these ridiculous things in the last few months. Their pervasiveness is crazy.

And the last point is especially on point. You can't market something as ethereal as a music streaming service nearly as easily as you can a gaudy piece of plastic you put on your head.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

die antwoord crushed em with a brick
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ian e

Post by ian e »

so this app will be like this..
Mr. Reznor and his collaborator Rob Sheridan sketched out plans for a new service based around the mobility and intelligence of smartphones.

“My phone knows where I’m at, what I’m up to, what temperature it is,” Mr. Reznor said. “It might even start to recognize locations I visit, patterns of motion. What if music could be collected in little parcels and served up to me effortlessly?”

A byproduct of that concept is Right Now, which in prototype was tantalizingly called “the sentence.” In it, a user generates an ad hoc playlist by completing a musical status update with four variables: a place, an activity, a person and a genre of music. “I’m at the beach & feel like pre-partying with my friends to dance-pop,” for example, yields the Chemical Brothers, Lady Gaga and Janet Jackson. Not bad.
and apparently will look like this:

:rofl:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

we're gonna not know how to operate existence soon with all these robotic devices that do all the thinking for us

cool, but also not that cool.

there is a generation of "DJs" that have NO idea how to actually mix two pieces of music together by BPMs, because Serato does it for them.

this is kinda like that, but with personal playlists. choosing songs for a mixtape is a lost art that i miss. the world is poorer without it.

holy shit are the Beats Headphones overrated. they color the sound with extreme bass boost trickery. don't believe the hype

i'm glad i have some, but i don't even prefer to use them. and i would never record music using Beats headphones, you crazy? :naswtf:

rap music streaming services is out of control
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: holy shit are the Beats Headphones overrated. they color the sound with extreme bass boost trickery. don't believe the hype
This. Sennheisers all day.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

uhhh.....
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate