Cypress Hill Discussion Thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Best / favorite Cypress Hill LP?

1991 - Cypress Hill.
46%
1993 - Black Sunday.
28%
1995 - Cypress Hill III: Temple of Boom.
26%

Total votes: 61

ChaMerZ

Cypress Hill Discussion Thread

Post by ChaMerZ »

My Auto-DJ picked this one right here, forgot how good it was:

Black Sunday is Cypress Hill's standout album. No contest.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss ...

Also, any news on the group's current status is welcome. Last I saw of B-Real was on that westfesttv snoop dog interview channel. Not heard of him since. I think he was starting a show of his own or something like that.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: Cypress Hill Discussion Thread

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I think their best album is Temple of Boom. It has a superior style of production in my opinion, and it is Muggs' best work. ToB is generally much more dark and hardcore than their other albums, which is probably why it doesn't have a hitsingle - while Black Sunday had many, it also has all those songs that even people who don't like rap listen to and love (usually heavy metal-type people).
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Tough call between this and their self-titled. I personally have more of a connection with Black Sunday though. Loved Muggs production and B-Real & Sen were dope together.

I need to revisit ToB.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Self titled for me

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Self-titled for me as well. Side note: if you're a Muggs fan and you've not heard the Muggs and Planet Asia LP, "Pain Language" do check ASAP.

Comedy Quaddafi

Poll?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: it also has all those songs that even people who don't like rap listen to and love (usually heavy metal-type people).
I've said this many times before, the day Black Sunday came out is one of the saddest hip hop moments of my life.
I had been anticipating their follow up forever. Counting down to the release date and all that shit. Even bought the single (I always thought Insane In The Membrane sucked).
Took the bus to the record store on the release date, and waited for them to open.
My friend's cousin lived down the street from the store so we went there to play it immediately.
While they played video games, I put the cd into the boombox, and sat there listening.
I kept waiting for the album to get good, and it didn't. I couldn't comprehend what had happened.
The first album had blown me away, and this one didn't come close. There were a couple good songs, but I couldn't help thinking what a colossal disappointment it was.

Years later when I first got online, I was shocked to find out how many people held the album in such high regard.
I can't really describe what the Cypress Hill sound is, but Black Sunday isn't it for me. Temples of Boom redeemed them in my eyes, and served as an appropriate ending (I haven't heard another album since then).

The love Insane in the Membrane gets is puzzling. The video for the song was #1 on MTV Raps for several weeks, while How I Could Just Kill A Man peaked at #6. I felt that the slighting of the debut was incorrectly being compensated by all the unjustified praise of Black Sunday.
Fuck that album.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Comedy Quaddafi

I'd rather listen to this than Black Sunday.

The Fugees remix is so tight.
- MB

step one

Post by step one »

The only downside to Black Sunday for me is that the singles got played to death over here. It was one of those albums that everyone in my school had, even the kids who didnt really like rap and mainly listened to Nirvana liked Cypress (and House Of Pain).
Insane In The Brain is one of the tracks I never really need to hear again.

For me they're one of those groups where I'd prefer to bump a compilation of tracks from each album.

This is a favourite

ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

black sunday was a severe disappointment after their self titled album and every album since then has gotten progressively worse

it never got better than this
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Lets talk about what the actual change between albums was though? Cause I feel like Muggs' approach had not changed so drastically that people can say its night and day from the self titled.

Drums were hard, production was sample heavy...B-Real and Sen's synergy (no pun intended) was on point.

What gives besides it getting waaaay more play than the debut?

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Self Titled for sure. One of my favorite albums back then. That shit is still so dope.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Muggs approach didn't change.. maybe that was the problem? Black Sunday sounded like it was as forced repeat of the first album. Instead of growing they kept trying to do the same song except it was distinctively inferior or.. like Jay said, our expectations were so high that it was going to be a disappointment either way
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

So crazy b

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

self titled just for "pigs"
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Thun

Post by Thun »

Third album is the best, but the first was just so different and out there, so it's my favorite.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Gotta go with the first one.

Maybe I have to listen to Temple Of Boom again but I was relatively unimpressed at the time. Which means little because I cannot remember anything about it besides my reaction.

Funny thing is, even though I liked Black Sunday and was meh on ToB, the only one I still have any desire listen to is the debut.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

first one.

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

temple of boom. i can listen to it fron to back without skipping shit

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

im shocked that 3 tamples of boom isnt voted as the their best album...

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I'm shocked that philaflava, considers black sunday to be the worst out of their catalogue. wow. was temple of boom really taht hot? damn, i've got to go revisit it.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

First one. The fourth album has some joints too imo.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

First album.

Shout out to all the greeks back in the day who thought they were called Cyprus Hill.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

1st album is for hiphoppers
2nd album is for weed heads
3rd album is for the beat lovers

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

their debut as it compares to the rest of their catalog is kinda similar to how 36 chambers is to wu's subsequent releases...its got that gritty dusty four track demo sound

and for me that puts it on a pedestal by itself

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

sean wrote:first one.

no :lol:

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Stoned is the way of the walk.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

clark bent wrote:their debut as it compares to the rest of their catalog is kinda similar to how 36 chambers is to wu's subsequent releases...its got that gritty dusty four track demo sound

and for me that puts it on a pedestal by itself
It's a time thing. Usually, the albums you listen to first are more nostalgic. I listened to Black Sunday first, and then drifted into the other albums later. I totally get you. I have the same problem with Tribe. Midnight Marauders is a great album, So is PITPOTR. Low End though? Low End's what started it all for me & there will always be special place in my heart for it.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

never heard a full album of theirs, and bought the fourth one (the double disc one) when that dropped, and it wasn't that great.

i remember digging "hand on the pump" when it dropped on Yo!. i recognized the "Duke Of Earl" sample solely from watching tv commercials for some "songs from the 60s" compilation someome like Time Life was hawking back in the day.

i remember "black sunday" dropping and suddenly see people i didn't expect to see (read: white chicks in high school) wearing the album cover shirts.

there's still the contemporary rock station in my area that still plays insane in the brain every lunch hour, even though it's a rap song. from ninety-whatever to 2013, those white dudes still love it.

back when black sunday dropped, i was mad young, looked mad young, had folks who hated rap, and had no friends that listened to rap. i was the closet rap fiend that had radio and video edits as my only source of music. the only record store in town wouldn't let my buy cds.

i remember cypress hill performed "Illusions" on Squirt TV.

i still have yet to listen to their first 3 albums in full.

isn't it the case that B-Real raps more than Sen Dog, a la Q-Tip and Zev Love X?