General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

peanut butter

Macklemore won all the Grammys

Post by peanut butter »

Best rap album
Best rap performance
Best rap song
Best new artist (first rapper to win since Lauryn Hill)

He also did this

And sent this

Is anyone OK with all of this?

PEACE

peanut butter

Re: Macklemore won all the Grammys

Post by peanut butter »

Also of note:

PEACE

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Ok with it? I would have been shocked if it didn't happen the way it did, so yeah.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

FUCK THAT RACIST BULLSHIT FROM THE GRAMMYS

ain't no god damn way in the world Macklemore is THAT good

and I don't wanna hear "i was gonna give you a shoutout then I froze" type apologist bullshit from Macklemore. FUCK YOUR FAKE APOLOGY

if you were REALLY REALLY REALLY feeling a ways about "Kendrick getting robbed"... THEN YOU WOULD SIMPLY ~GIVE HIM~ THE GRAMMY FOR 'BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR'.

Fucking apartheid ass rapper. I can't support Macklemore anymore (I used to like the guy long before 'Thrift Shop') because so many racist small minded fucks support him and perpetuate the Elvis-Presleying of Hip Hop History. I know it's bigger than him and he isn't the one to blame completely, he's just rapping and putting it out. It's White America that is like "OMG he's the best thing in rap since Eminem!!!" when this is simply not a truth worth respecting or agreeing with.

If Macklemore REALLY fucking felt that way... he'd give back the Grammys. Straight up. They don't HAVE to be accepted.

But NOPE! He just did his best to appease both the mostly-white Grammy committee and the mostly-black hip hop universe that he got his career from with some flimsy ass fucking apology, and I am not feeling it.

Apartheid-ass rapper. "yeah, I know it's wrong to accept these awards, and I know you got robbed and shit... but I'm still gonna take the awards anyways, and take all the privileges of having them. but it sucks you got robbed. but... i'm still not mad that i won." Apartheid knew that it was a horrible system, but practiced its evil anyways with a 'sucks to be you' attitude. i can't condone that shit in any way, shape or form.

no fucking respect for the Grammys and barely any respect for Macklemore.
Kendrick Lamar deserved the Best Rap Album of the Year Grammy, and I don't even fuck with 'Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City'. Everyone knows it was the most deserving and relatively well-rounded album of the last year. Fuck the whole Grammy committee for not knowing or respecting or understanding that.

FUCK THE GRAMMYS AND FUCK THEIR IGNORANCE OF HIP HOP AND FUCK ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS THE EVIL THEY DO WITHOUT STEPPING UP AND DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THE SAKE OF JUSTICE AND HONOR INSTEAD OF EGO AND FAME

fuck this racist bullshit

rap is outta control
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:FUCK THAT RACIST BULLSHIT FROM THE GRAMMYS

ain't no god damn way in the world Macklemore is THAT good

and I don't wanna hear "i was gonna give you a shoutout then I froze" type apologist bullshit from Macklemore. FUCK YOUR FAKE APOLOGY

if you were REALLY REALLY REALLY feeling a ways about "Kendrick getting robbed"... THEN YOU WOULD SIMPLY ~GIVE HIM~ THE GRAMMY FOR 'BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR'.

Fucking apartheid ass rapper. I can't support Macklemore anymore (I used to like the guy long before 'Thrift Shop') because so many racist small minded fucks support him and perpetuate the Elvis-Presleying of Hip Hop History. I know it's bigger than him and he isn't the one to blame completely, he's just rapping and putting it out. It's White America that is like "OMG he's the best thing in rap since Eminem!!!" when this is simply not a truth worth respecting or agreeing with.

If Macklemore REALLY fucking felt that way... he'd give back the Grammys. Straight up. They don't HAVE to be accepted.

But NOPE! He just did his best to appease both the mostly-white Grammy committee and the mostly-black hip hop universe that he got his career from with some flimsy ass fucking apology, and I am not feeling it.

Apartheid-ass rapper. "yeah, I know it's wrong to accept these awards, and I know you got robbed and shit... but I'm still gonna take the awards anyways, and take all the privileges of having them. but it sucks you got robbed. but... i'm still not mad that i won." Apartheid knew that it was a horrible system, but practiced its evil anyways with a 'sucks to be you' attitude. i can't condone that shit in any way, shape or form.

no fucking respect for the Grammys and barely any respect for Macklemore.
Kendrick Lamar deserved the Best Rap Album of the Year Grammy, and I don't even fuck with 'Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City'. Everyone knows it was the most deserving and relatively well-rounded album of the last year. Fuck the whole Grammy committee for not knowing or respecting or understanding that.

FUCK THE GRAMMYS AND FUCK THEIR IGNORANCE OF HIP HOP AND FUCK ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS THE EVIL THEY DO WITHOUT STEPPING UP AND DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THE SAKE OF JUSTICE AND HONOR INSTEAD OF EGO AND FAME

fuck this racist bullshit

rap is outta control
lol why do you care about the grammy's so much?

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Calling the Grammys evil :rofl:
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

My favorite part is when he compares the Grammy' to Apartheid.

Amazing rant.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

I don't care about the Grammys :bunk:

I care about how the Grammys affect hip hop culture :clay:

and I care about exposing and trying to eliminate ANY and EVERY aspect of white supremacy that ruins justice and harmony in the world, especially North American culture

i'm on some Chuck D shit: WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT A GOD DAMN GRAMMY?

that being said, that doesn't mean I can't say it's WACK AS FUCK for Macklemore to take ALL the hip hop awards.

like are you fucking kidding? how much racist injustice can one award show present?

CONGRADUFUCKINLATIONS, RACISTS. you got this round.

and Macklemore: enjoy your new white audience.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

You're not even a brother, you have never lived in America
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:My favorite part is when he compares the Grammy' to Apartheid.

Amazing rant.
you can't make the psychological parallel? CMON, SON.

I'm not comparing the Grammys to Apartheid. I'm comparing the way the people IN the system of both the Grammy Awards and Apartheid are COMPLETELY COMPLICIT TO THE INJUSTICE OCCURRING, WHILE OFTEN FEIGNING DISAPPROVAL OR DISSOCIATION.

I did not say the Grammys were Apartheid. Get your skull clear.

White people in ALL KINDS of systems around the world silently participate in it or meekly speak out against it, while simultaneously benefitting from blatant corruption.

nice to see some things will never change.

it's on WHITE PEOPLE to say "NAH, YO: FUCK THIS RACIST BULLSHIT Y'ALL ARE DOING HERE. I disagree with the Grammys, and I will now give the Grammy for 'Best New Album' to KENDRICK LAMAR, like YOU should have done."

until Macklemore does THAT, I have no fucking respect for him whatsoever, and see that he's part of the problem more than the solution. It's like when he put out the "Same Love" song. I had gay friends say: "does he donate money from that huge hit song to LGBTQ charities or organizations? The dude is not gay, but is clearly benefitting from speaking on gay issues. He doesn't speak for me. How much is he an ally or affiliate to the gay community?" I'd say not very much, even if he does stuff like have a wedding with 34 gay/lesbian couples at the Grammys with Madonna and Queen Latifah. Oh, that's nice. Nice intentioned statement. But will you do that again... NOT at the Grammys? Will you show up on your own to some LGBTQ event to just support the cause, and NOT to perform and get paid for "Same Love", Macklemore? I hope so. Cause if not, I completely disrespect your smug white male exploitation privlege and your underhanded exploitation of modern struggles.

Macklemore took what Mac Miller was doing to a whole new level of :naswtf: x :bunk:

white people really gotta fucking check themselves this year. The Grammys just shitpuked in the fake of hip hop, and I wasn't even watching the fucking show. Just knowing this bullshit happened is enough to get angry at YET ANOTHER CASE of white supremacy run amok.

give Kendrick his award, Macklemore. Until then, I don't consider you real, hip hop, or a man with any integrity.

All I see is appropriation by culture vultures. SHIT IS DISGUSTING, B :fail:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Whatever.....Mack was humble enough to do that. Says something about his character to a degree.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

M​ack did that because he wanted everyone to know his place. If it was personal it would have stayed personal. He immediately posted a text he sent to Kendrick on Instagram to show the world he gets how its a sensitive issue. The whole award show is contrived and has lost its importance. They best rock song went to Paul McCartney? FOH. It's cuz he was told he was going to win, hence him showing up. They give awards to people for those very reasons. Hello Jigga aka the only reputable rap act who showed up besides Kendrick Lamar (who also performed).

As for Mack, as a person, I have no problem with him. He really had no hand in this. He seems to toe that line of humility and crazy stupid rich rock star I can dress/act and say whatever I want. His partner on the other hand. Can something tell me what that hack does? Same expression. Does nothing but smile and cash checks. His parents has to adopt Mack as kid or something because Ryan Lewis is as useful as a 12 inch dick belonging to Dids.

And I know that one song about the gays is makes reference to :phila: too.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Damn.

Madonna looks WRECKED

zombie

Post by zombie »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:My favorite part is when he compares the Grammy' to Apartheid.

Amazing rant.
Everytime he said apartheid ass rapper, I cracked up.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

ryan lewis is the producer, video director, graphic artist of the duo. considering the type of music macklemore used to make.. i'd wager he's equally responsible for the successful turn macklemore's career has taken (i.e. he has a lot of ideas about mambo no. 5 pop horn sections & encourages conceptual college raps)

zombie

Post by zombie »

Wait, Mack is gay? I got confused when you say 'his partner' are you referring to Ryan or like an actual partner

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

PS Pharrell's Vivienne Westwood x Malcolm McLaren hat is as real hip hop as it comes

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ackbar wrote:ryan lewis is the producer, video director, graphic artist of the duo. considering the type of music macklemore used to make.. i'd wager he's equally responsible for the successful turn macklemore's career has taken (i.e. he has a lot of ideas about mambo no. 5 pop horn sections & encourages conceptual college raps)
I've never seen him actually say or do anything. But I'm glad "graphic artists" are getting their fair share these days. Jarobi must be pissed.

zombie

Post by zombie »

You seem mad

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

how is Macklemore not officially an apartheid ass rapper now, though?

he the new super-UBER-darling of white media, from Rolling Stone to GLAAD to Madonna/ellen fans and beyond, and he's not working with any Black rappers or even tangentially connected to hip hop culture in any way beyond using beats and microphones.

this is where stupid petty bullshit like "having a black friend" really actually kinda matters.

as white and nerdy as Eminem was when he first came out, Black people grew to respect him pretty fast cause it was like "well, I can't relate to 'Kim' or 'The Way I Am', but at least Eminem came up with D-12 and he knows poverty and ghetto life in Detroit. I don't like his wacky violent white weirdness in hip hop, but I guess I can learn to respect it."
which Black people did.

I don't know if I can ever grow to respect Macklemore IF HE DOESN'T GIVE KENDRICK SOMETHING MORE THAN A FUCKING TEXT MESSAGE.

FUCK ALL Y'ALL NEW SCHOOL APARTHEID ASS RAPPERS, ALL OF Y'ALL. FUCKIN MAC MILLER, RIFF RAFF, MACKLEMORE AND EVEN CHIEF KEEF AND TRINIDAD JAMES AND ALL Y'ALL IG'NANT TRAP RAPPERS WHO MAKE BULLSHIT TREND-HOP FOR INTERNET SUBURBAN WHITE KIDS MONEY AND BLOG FAME, FUCK OUTTA HERE

destroyers of integrity and honor in the sacred art of music and the cancer of modern hip hop culture.

their presence in the artform does far more damage than good, and it's time fools get called out for fuckory :copy:

fuck the white supremacy taking over mainstream hip hop and fuck these garbage ass apartheid ass rappers :copy: + :bunk:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ardamus wrote:Whatever.....Mack was humble enough to do that. Says something about his character to a degree.
Justice, Honor and Integrity should NOT exist "in degrees".

Comedy Quaddafi

IMO Macklemore exploiting gays and rap to make himself famous is way more offensive than Miley Cyrus' wack dancing.

"It's like... the same love!" Yeeesh. Do Americans never get offended when celebs talk to them as if they were little children? Why is everyone using language and arguments fit for a kindergarden in a room full of grown people? You guys are really strange, do you ever discuss issues in adult language?
Last edited by Comedy Quaddafi on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

zombie wrote:You seem mad
Do I tho?

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Philaflava wrote:
ackbar wrote:ryan lewis is the producer, video director, graphic artist of the duo. considering the type of music macklemore used to make.. i'd wager he's equally responsible for the successful turn macklemore's career has taken (i.e. he has a lot of ideas about mambo no. 5 pop horn sections & encourages conceptual college raps)
I've never seen him actually say or do anything. But I'm glad "graphic artists" are getting their fair share these days. Jarobi must be pissed.
did you glance over the part where it reads he's the producer? he made the beats & equally contributed to how the songs sound. plus he made the videos (how the group first gained real traction) & was largely responsible for the visual aspect of the macklemore/ryan lewis "brand"

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

i would confidently say that ryan lewis and macklemore are equally responsible for their success.

Dids

Post by Dids »

And now we know why Pete Rock talked over all the tracks. Sheesh.

Caring about what one random group of clowns that in no way makes any attempt to reflect what posters on this site enjoy is really silly. I liked dude wining because if there's any value out of any of this, putting some sort of validating stamp/more attention on a message of equality and inclusion has more value than whatever a co-sign does for Kendrick Lamar.

Comedy Quaddafi

Macklemore - the white missionary come to clean up black music

(...)

He goes into deadly serious, chin-stroking mode about everything from the language ignorant hip-hoppers use to the drugs they take to their refusal to love gays and gay marriage. Yes, that’s right - like every other White Person, Macklemore doesn’t only live on Instagram, wear old-skool adidas probably shipped from Shoreditch, and post on the web photos of the healthy smoothies he drinks - he also thinks gay marriage is the best thing since sliced organic brown bread.
On ‘Same Love’, his saccharine and patronising hymn to gay people who can’t help the way they are (‘They can’t change / Even if they wanted to’), he lambasts ‘our genre’ (hip hop) for using the word ‘faggot’ and for spreading ‘hate’ towards gays. On gay marriage he raps, with more than a little blustering pride, ‘Damn right I support it!’. Of course he does - supporting gay marriage is on a par with saying ‘I preferred the rough rap of NWA over the stuff-obsessed hip hop of today’ when it comes to becoming a full member of the White People club.

It all comes across as a bit missionary, like Macklemore is a modern-day colonial come to educate foul-mouthed, gold-wearing blacks about a better way to think and act.
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... ubGXvSKaIU

Great read.
- MB

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Caramanica nailed it too, per usual

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/arts/ ... ystem.html

PEACE

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Well I for one am shocked that a meaningless self-promoting pop culture institution that has never once shown a shred of genuine insight into any of the subcultures it tries to engage with, even in the broad homogenized sense, failed to accurately gauge the relevance of a piece of music that is hinged entirely on the understanding of a world that this institution is most removed from.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo