Redman

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Redman

Post by Philaflava »

This isn't breaking news, but damn, what happened yo?

At one point you could very well make the argument he was a top 10 rapper of all-time. '92-97 was a very solid 5 year stretch. Dare Iz A Darkside, Muddy Waters, shit even if you want to include Blackout ('98), but he hasn't been relevant in over a decade now.

Yet, if he wanted to, he could still be amazing. He hasn't lost his ability, he is just too one-dimensional and has little desire (maybe support) to make an album like he is capable of. If you wanted to to say he is now top 15 overall, I wouldn't argue. His last 5 studio albums have been underwhelming as fuck.

Obviously, there are tons of rappers that are still dope when they want to be like Kurupt, Jadakiss or even LL.

If Redman got with E-Dub and Rockwilder and didn't do any of that Gila house bullshit or put on D-list rappers or phoned in verses from label mates, I bet he would surprise the fuck outta us.

peanut butter

Re: Redman

Post by peanut butter »

Weed

PEACE

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:This isn't breaking news, but damn, what happened yo?

At one point you could very well make the argument he was a top 10 rapper of all-time. '92-97 was a very solid 5 year stretch. Dare Iz A Darkside, Muddy Waters, shit even if you want to include Blackout ('98), but he hasn't been relevant in over a decade now.

Yet, if he wanted to, he could still be amazing. He hasn't lost his ability, he is just too one-dimensional and has little desire (maybe support) to make an album like he is capable of. If you wanted to to say he is now top 15 overall, I wouldn't argue. His last 5 studio albums have been underwhelming as fuck.

Obviously, there are tons of rappers that are still dope when they want to be like Kurupt, Jadakiss or even LL.

If Redman got with E-Dub and Rockwilder and didn't do any of that Gila house bullshit or put on D-list rappers or phoned in verses from label mates, I bet he would surprise the fuck outta us.
I havent heard a good redman verse in ages. Not convinced he's still capable...

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

gonna see him live this month. used to be a great performer.. hopefully he hasn't lost that
all i really care to see from him nowadays. i don't really listen to much of the same non-rap artists i listened to in the 90s either at this point

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Did Muddy Waters 2 ever come out?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

^^ nah, I don't think so.

Aside from the first three albums, I'm actually a pretty big Doc's Da Name 2000 fan. Granted it's right in that '98-'99 sound that a lot of people hate, but that album has some heat on it.

But yeah, he fell the fuck off, and I think it's hard to make a top 15 case for him at this point. Honestly probably a bit too one dimensional, but he was ridiculous in that lane when he was in a zone.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Honestly, it boils down to the production he started to use in the later years, imo. He didnt need to use Erick Sermon everytime but some of those he had were not hittin' past a certain point.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

ardamus wrote:Honestly, it boils down to the production he started to use in the later years, imo. He didnt need to use Erick Sermon everytime but some of those he had were not hittin' past a certain point.
It is that, but it's also the company he keeps. He could get by on some relatively cheap production if he didn't throw his weed carriers int he mix every other song. And the fact that he just doesn't sound inspired most of the time over the past several years (which is often related to production).
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

he's been throwing around the "muddy waters 2" captions on his instagram posts. he's been out in denver snowboarding and making/licensing his own brand of weed or something.

i've never seen him live, but i saw the live stream of when he did the brooklyn hip hop fest last year. he did all the old hits, but looked weird with him wearing a backwards snapback and braids.
oh, here it is.

it was alright but sometimes cheesy.

observe911

Post by observe911 »

Ya dudes been making frat house party anthems for a while..kinda corny..plus it's rumors that he's a down low homosexual..most likely he is..but that doesn't have anything to do with his music..
PAWGing

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

observe911 wrote:plus it's rumors that he's a down low homosexual..most likely he is..but that doesn't have anything to do with his music..
Then why bring it up in a thread about his music?

step one

Post by step one »

Seen him live (with Meth) twice in the last 5 years or so. Same set both times but really enjoyable.
Shame he doesnt to anything off 'Dare..' but apparently he cant remember recording much of it :lol:

He could still come with a decent track here and there but I get the impression he isnt too interested in being part of modern rap. Shame really as if he did something along the lines of Meth's collab on the A$ap Mob track it could be dope.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

gloss basically hit the nail on the head. Redman used to be in my top five but now I rarely even check for random songs he drops. While I used to blame his production on why some of his more recent albums weren't as good, at this point I think his lack of inspiration and hunger is as much to blame, if not more, than the lackluster production. I fully agree that he is aligned with primarily terrible weedcarrier cronies (save Method Man) and that he still puts on a great live show. I don't think we should realistically expect anything close to classic from him anytime soon, if ever. Shelving Muddy Waters 2 would be the best thing because there's no way whatever he'd put out would be remotely near that album.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:^^ nah, I don't think so.

Aside from the first three albums, I'm actually a pretty big Doc's Da Name 2000 fan. Granted it's right in that '98-'99 sound that a lot of people hate, but that album has some heat on it.

But yeah, he fell the fuck off, and I think it's hard to make a top 15 case for him at this point. Honestly probably a bit too one dimensional, but he was ridiculous in that lane when he was in a zone.
yea very one dimensional, but great in his prime. The main problem is that dimension doesnt fit with the whole "aging rapper" thing at all...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

once in a while he still pulls something decent out of his ass

like this

but he's never consistent with it. i keep hoping he has a juicy j-like revival as rap's stoned uncle but that wont happen
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

The Afronaut wrote:
observe911 wrote:plus it's rumors that he's a down low homosexual..most likely he is..but that doesn't have anything to do with his music..
Then why bring it up in a thread about his music?
Because observe is a well documented faggot himself, so he's trying his best to make redman familiar to his own gayness level.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

he needs to link up with johnny shipes or ski beats, whoever curren$y is working with and get some new energy poppin. redman could easily have a career resurgence by adding that grimey tinge to some weeded out cloud rap beats but hes just out here doing bootleg shit.

i want dude to win

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

ackbar wrote:gonna see him live this month. used to be a great performer.. hopefully he hasn't lost that
all i really care to see from him nowadays. i don't really listen to much of the same non-rap artists i listened to in the 90s either at this point
woah! didn't know he was coming to TO. i gotta cop tickets ASAP.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

won't embed but here's a mtv crib update from him that I just happened to see today.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/998609/m ... sion.jhtml
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Redman stopped with the drugs. He is the greatest emcee to ever touch the mic and it's not even that close.
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

dubs

Post by dubs »

Dusty Fingers wrote:Redman stopped with the drugs. He is the greatest emcee to ever touch the mic and it's not even that close.

Slow down kid.
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

the dead poet wrote:won't embed but here's a mtv crib update from him that I just happened to see today.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/998609/m ... sion.jhtml
somewhat entertaining...can't help but root for redman with muddy waters 2, but I dont have my hopes up...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Dusty Fingers wrote:Redman stopped with the drugs. He is the greatest emcee to ever touch the mic and it's not even that close.

He must have passed them to you with that kind of statement.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

doesnt look like redman is off drugs in that new mtv cribs piece...

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Philaflava wrote:

He must have passed them to you with that kind of statement.
Bar for bar, give me a mic and let me rip it, Redman is by far and away the nicest to ever touch the mic. His freestyles in the nineties are light years beyond anybodies and his first 3-4 albums are damn near untouchable. Few outfits have come close to touching his first three albums. Everybody falls off and there are pioneers before him that deserve respect but none of them came to the level Redman was at in his prime lyrically. You can question some of his material, no doubt, I will join you, but bar for bar on some give me a mic shit nobody is close to Redman in his prime. Not Rakim, not Kane, not G Rap, not L, not Pun, not Pac, not Nas, not Biggie, not any emcee I could see you naming. The ones before him set the stone and the only emcee that comes close is G, but ultimately Redman was far and away the most lyrical and creative.

He's heating up... NAH BROTHER I'M ON FIRE!!!!
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

step one

Post by step one »

He definitely bodied that Xtina joint and the remix of Pink 'Get This Party Started' in a way not seen since Nice & Smooth jumped on that New Kids On The Block comeback single.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:He definitely bodied that Xtina joint and the remix of Pink 'Get This Party Started' in a way not seen since Nice & Smooth jumped on that New Kids On The Block comeback single.
lol completely forgot about the xtina collabo...oh the horror...

step one

Post by step one »

not all, Dirrty banged hard in the club (as much as tracks like that can anyway). Guaranteed floor filler that had girls trying to act like they were in the video.
Throw the acapella over 'Lapdance' by NERD and its a wrap.