illmatic XX

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

aeokq

Re: illmatic XX

Post by aeokq »

step one wrote:
aeokq wrote:Great album. It gets overrated though because it is mentioned as the holy grail of hip hop albums when in fact there are many albums that are on par with it, if not better.
There's a few. There's not many. It captures a 2-3 year era of Rap music almost perfectly over a pretty short space of time.
As much as I could be doing without all these 20th anniversary articles I dont think you can really call Illmatic 'overrated' .
Yeah I mean everyone has different tastes obviously. I can personally say that I enjoy many albums more than Illmatic. The Infamous, Cuban Linx, Low End Theory...I mean there is no such thing as a concrete greatest hip hop albums ever list.

Objectively speaking, and considering influence, Illmatic should be in everyone's top 10 ever list. Could everyone agree that Paid in Full is a top 10 album ever? That album pretty much set the standard for lyricism. But does it sound great to everyone? I'd argue probably not.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

The thing about Nas and illmatic is it's as much about the time leading up to the album as it was about the album itself. There was just this buzz in NYC, especially in the streets and the underground scene, that this kid was doing something that was going to be really special. I mean it was beyond NYC really (because plenty of people were Hip Hop fans from all over) but it was most prominent in NYC. He really was regarded as the next coming of Rakim, an MC who would change everything. It wasn't just people like you and me saying this, it was other artists. Everyone was amped up for what was to come. So if you are coming from another place, or you were not into Hip Hop at the time, or whatever, it's hard to understand I guess.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

aeokq wrote:
step one wrote:
aeokq wrote:Great album. It gets overrated though because it is mentioned as the holy grail of hip hop albums when in fact there are many albums that are on par with it, if not better.
There's a few. There's not many. It captures a 2-3 year era of Rap music almost perfectly over a pretty short space of time.
As much as I could be doing without all these 20th anniversary articles I dont think you can really call Illmatic 'overrated' .
Yeah I mean everyone has different tastes obviously. I can personally say that I enjoy many albums more than Illmatic. The Infamous, Cuban Linx, Low End Theory...I mean there is no such thing as a concrete greatest hip hop albums ever list.

Objectively speaking, and considering influence, Illmatic should be in everyone's top 10 ever list. Could everyone agree that Paid in Full is a top 10 album ever? That album pretty much set the standard for lyricism. But does it sound great to everyone? I'd argue probably not.
Well said by both of you.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Blockhead wrote:
Let Jaz Down wrote:Yeah, comparing you to Mindbender was definitely uncalled for on my part. I was referring to Mindbender with the amateur hack/bitter failure comment.

I guess I just can't understand how any rap producer could think the Life's A Bitch beat + the Gap Band sample are anything other than the most celestial shit ever.
Honestly, I just didn't like the 80's sound to it (I realize the sample is from the 70's but I'm speaking of the sound of the beat). Especially back then when it dropped. I always grouped that and Kool G rap's "Fast life" beats together. Just not my thing sonically. I didn't like "Juicy" that much either for the same reasons. Nowadays, i can appreciate those songs differently but that 17 year old me still has a voice in there somewhere.

What you've described is the sonic beginnings of what the :phila: has so eloquently dubbed "yacht rap." I didn't love it as a kid but now I'll take the LP version of "Fast Life" over the Buckwild remix any day.

No love for AZ's early output? Raekwon's "86"? Ill Biskits' "A Better Day"?

Req

Post by Req »

Combo7 wrote:I'll take the LP version of "Fast Life" over the Buckwild remix any day.
you're buggin

F.U. MOOLAH

step one

Post by step one »

The Vinyl Reanimators and NorfSide remixes of Fast Life are the best 2 versions.

Blockhead, do you not like 70s/80s funk & soul in general or is it just Rap songs sampling them you aren't keen on?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Norfside mix is better than both of them
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Let Jaz Down wrote:What does Blockhead think about Street Dreams?
The Nas song? I never really felt strongly about it either way. I would rather listen to the Linda Clifford song though.
Blockhead, do you not like 70s/80s funk & soul in general or is it just Rap songs sampling them you aren't keen on?
It's entirely dependent on the sample. I dunno. Growing up on 80's music kinda made me not wanna hear any element of it mixed in with rap when I was younger. That said, I'm a fan of a good sample. I think some funk can get repetitive (mood wise) but there are plenty of classic funk loops. And old soul music is my shit. My only issue with soul loops is when they take a song I already love. It's hard to separate the original from the looped version for me.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Blockhead wrote:
It's entirely dependent on the sample. I dunno. Growing up on 80's music kinda made me not wanna hear any element of it mixed in with rap when I was younger. That said, I'm a fan of a good sample. I think some funk can get repetitive (mood wise) but there are plenty of classic funk loops. And old soul music is my shit. My only issue with soul loops is when they take a song I already love. It's hard to separate the original from the looped version for me.
I sort of instinctively want to ask, what type of music do you like to sample the most? Or do you rely mostly on instruments? I'm not completely familiar with your style.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

contemplating copping the album just because

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

:rofl:
love how y'all hate me.
And I don't know why your knife wounds in my back still shock me, Blockhead. Should I really stop expecting you to learn how to respect me?

I don't care what y'all think. I'm hip hop to the balls and back. I know 'Illmatic' like I know insanity, love and God. I could perform every fucking word. Someone told me once that they though my remake of 'The World is Yours' is better than the original. THEIR OPINION, not mine. And I don't need to lie to kick it. Opinions are like assholes, we all got one and it must speak. I don't even think 'Illmatic' is the best rap album ever, but I DO think Nas is the best MC ever, and that 'Illmatic' is a time capsule of an immaculate moment in hip hop history that will NEVER be re-created.

Anyone who was alive in 1994 and paying attention to what lil Nasir Olu Dara Jones from Queensbridge was saying on the mic was BLESSED.

Part of me still thinks Nas hasn't made his best album yet. There are aspects to every single one of his solo albums that makes it special, and also makes it imperfect.

'Illmatic' was too short for my personal tastes. Always has been its most major flaw. It's not an album, it's an extended EP. It's 8 songs with an intro and a soundtrack song that was released a year earlier. The criminally-short length of 'Illmatic' is the ONE thing that makes me prefer 'Reasonable Doubt' over it, sometimes. At least Jay-Z made a FULL visionary statement with his debut, one that stands the test of time and beyond. 'Illmatic' was so unique in that it was like Nas wasn't even fully aware of his pre-destined greatness, but I also note that so many other hands and heads were involved and clamoring for rights on the debut. The various A&Rs, (like what did MC Serch REALLY have to do with it? I respect the homie, but he always comes off sounding like he helped Nas brainstorm song titles and shit... cmon, son), various producers (god, why didn't Pete Rock and Nas make more songs?!? I know why *ahem /Carmen/ ahem* but it's a god damn shame) and various circumstances (would it have been longer if it wasn't leaked and bootlegged so early?) surrounding it always were an issue to me. But after all that is said and done...

My blood still boils red hot happiness whenever I hear those sinister ice cold keys and them buckwild Bravehearts start shouting "REPRESENT! REPRESENT!!" :copy:

final note: it's HELLA LAME to see all these "unreleased bootleg freestyles" come out with this 'Illmatic XX' hype, but they end up being some stuff we already heard a shit load of times over a decade ago, and these new jack kids just ain't know about cause none of them actually have any fucking cassette mixtapes with radio freestyles on them. Only ONE of them with Akinyele was actually new to me. That "Stretch and Bobbito Freestyle" that was supposedly "unheard" was fucking MAD available already to REAL Nas heads.

Nas is God
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Even by MB standards, that was an impressive amount of self referencing when talking about such a classic album.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I read somewhere this week nas said he recorded enough material for illmatic to span 3-4 discs. Where is that material! Shit i wanna hear it

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^i don't believe things that nas says in interviews. there are a couple joints on the 'illmatic demo tape' but 'im a villain' and at least two others are basically early versions of NY state of mind.

@req i actually typed out 'except one time for your mind' but backspaced so as to keep it positive. this has never been my fav song but it fits on the album as a sort of light hearted freestyle joint just for the bars. can't replace it with deja vu - which wasn't recorded til 95 anyway - cause then you're cutting the line 'i shot my way out my mom dukes'.

@blockhead 'life's abitch' stands out as the worst beat on the album. the drums don't knock like those from the top tier producers. this is really obvious to any listener so i wouldn't worry about coming off as bitter.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

step one

Post by step one »

Life's A Bitch would sound weird with heavy drums. The loop fits the theme of the lyrics perfectly.
The variety on the album is one of its main strengths imo. The beats vary throughout - there's hard and raw (NY State, Represent), jazzy (World Is Yours), soulful (Lifes, Memory Lane), funky (Halftime, Aint Hard To Tell) which is why it works so well

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

i like more q tip remix of world is yours.....anyone else or im alone with that?

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

TheBigSleep wrote:Image
:cheers: :lol:
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

aeokq wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
I sort of instinctively want to ask, what type of music do you like to sample the most? Or do you rely mostly on instruments? I'm not completely familiar with your style.
I'm all over the place. I'll sample anything that sounds interesting to me
To bring it back to this thread…
Just got back from the screening of the documentary. Like every hip hip based doc it's totally enjoyable. I'd say Jungle stole the show is a half sad half awesome kinda way.
Nas performed after and did the entire illmatic album. Good times.

This was the cake at the after party...
http://instagram.com/p/m4FlBdRfUU/

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

Req wrote:
BadLT wrote:Best rap album of all time? Hahaha it's not even the best album of 1994.
see if this motherfucker says some shit like Stress or 6 Feet Deep...
Sorry if I inadvertently spilled the nectar of thy holy grail.

Anyway, here's a quick list of 1994 rap albums that were better back then and aged better than Illmatic.

- Scarface "The Diary"
- UGK "Super Tight"
- Kokane "Funk Upon A Rhyme"
- Saafir "Boxcar Sessions"
- Odd Squad "Fadanuf Fa Erybody"
- Above The Law "Uncle Sam's Curse"

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

Don't get One Time 4 Your Mind hate. One of the tracks that gets more spins from me from that album .

Anyway probably been posted but he did a reddit ama the other day: http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... _nas_amaa/

Nav

Post by Nav »

Let Jaz Down wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Honestly, "Life's a bitch" ... That beat fucking sucks. I can still listen to it though.
Unpopular opinion but yeah. Worst beat on the album (excluding One time which I never listen anymore). I like every remix (Buckwild 1/2, Arsenal) better than the original.
hellriser wrote:i like more q tip remix of world is yours.....anyone else or im alone with that?
Dat alternate verse. Hard to decide.
Apathwhy wrote:Don't get One Time 4 Your Mind hate. One of the tracks that gets more spins from me from that album .

Anyway probably been posted but he did a reddit ama the other day: http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... _nas_amaa/
Pretty shitty. This is Nas smoking a blunt and some record minion transcripting his words?
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:^i don't believe things that nas says in interviews. there are a couple joints on the 'illmatic demo tape' but 'im a villain' and at least two others are basically early versions of NY state of mind. .
There's these too:

Nas - Life Is Like A Dice Game

Nas w/ Biz Markie & AZ - Understanding

Nav

Post by Nav »

dilla7 wrote:
Not really Illmatic material. Horrible chorus.

Deja Vu though. Beast.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

step one

Post by step one »

I know everyone fawns over Deja Vu but that verse sounds alot better on Verbal Intercourse IMO.

Verbal Intercourse and Memory Lane are his best verses for me.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

hellriser wrote:i like more q tip remix of world is yours.....anyone else or im alone with that?
nah man.
as much as I HAVE CRIED listening to the original World is Yours... my fucking heavens opened up when I heard Q-Tip's remix

the new lyrics are also :ohsh: :copy: :bow:

"holding a stolen cop's glock with G-notes in my hand" :hooray:
madstadik wrote:I read somewhere this week nas said he recorded enough material for illmatic to span 3-4 discs. Where is that material! Shit i wanna hear it
maybe he meant "wrote in his Book of Rhymes"... cause there's nobody else talmbout all this unreleased Illmatic era rap music.

Nas, ease up off the blunts, kid :rofl:

stop playin with our emotions

want to believe, but won't until I hear it
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i dont think you can overstate how strong the hype was for illmatic...the level of anticipation for it remains unprecedented to this day...the only album that i can remember that came even close was wu tang forever

this is why i always laugh when people say illmatic is overrated....you cant surpass expectations that large and ever be called overrated

it may not be your favorite record of all time....its not mine....but its the best rap album of all time and deservedly so

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

http://rapradar.com/2014/04/15/nas-on-huffpost-live/

Nozzear talmbout QB and ting

interviewer is smart enough to say "were you throwin subliminals at Biggie?" to which Nas confesses "yes", but then interviewer isn't smart enough to have a few quoted Nas lyrics as potential possibilities :naswtf:

we know Biggie was talking about Nas on "Kick in the Door" with 'your reign on the top was short like leprechauns', but what subliminals do you think Nas shot at Biggie?

:killacam: