Hipsters Writing About hip Hop Culture

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: Hipsters Writing About hip Hop Culture

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

lol at you poor reading comprehension muthaphakkas dissing dude's writing style. he's giving daps to nardwaur, which shows this isn't about race at all, it's about being a fan/head vs having a tentative interest in the artists who are hot rn.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Nardwuar is Caucasian so you can rest assured that when mindbender speaks on him its going to be disparaging and disrespectful.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

hustler

Post by hustler »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:With MOST artists, especially artists with legacy and meaning and history: the concert review/interview shouldn't be done by the cute white girl with the surface level questions and trite fucking obvious talking points. You want someone who's fucking like Nardwuar? :ignore:
he's saying nardwuar is the same as a cute white girl who doesn't know shit about shit and is unqualified to be doing any interviews. then he further disparages nardwuar via the ignore emoticon.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

:rofl: at you editing the quote to have a question mark. you're in full on smear campaign mode.
Mindbender Futurama wrote: You want someone who's fucking like Nardwuar. :ignore:
Nardwaur is legendary for knowing his shit, coming up with details that make the artist go.... yo how the hell did you know that?
1. Nas
2. Drake

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote::rofl: at you editing the quote to have a question mark. you're in full on smear campaign mode.
Mindbender Futurama wrote: You want someone who's fucking like Nardwuar. :ignore:
Nardwaur is legendary for knowing his shit, coming up with details that make the artist go.... yo how the hell did you know that?
It's the ignore emoticon after the Nardwuar mention that confuses me.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I'm a fucking HARDCORE HEAD. I've seen the Roots 19 times.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Mindbender is a white man with very limited knowledge of rap music, so I don't see the difference between him and most hipsters.

step one

Post by step one »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:I'm a fucking HARDCORE HEAD. I've seen the Roots 19 times.
:lol:

b2b
Mindbender Futurama wrote:fuck, i barely care about hip hop culture

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Step One, you can't say my shit is average at best, and not back your claim up.
Yet you just went off on a rant about black Hip Hop journalists being sidelined and then when questioned on it couldnt actually name any black Hip Hop journalists you dumb fuck.

I realise that your complete lack of self awareness means you dont know that you consistently make grandiose claims without anything to back it up. I'm pretty sure you seriously consider your contributions to Hip Hop media to be up there with Jon Schecter, Robbie Unkut and Ego Trip.
Lol at your review of Drake concert making you an above average writer though. Thats up there with your most ridiculous claims yet.
Dont get too gassed off retweets bro. Its not good for the soul.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Versive

Post by Versive »

Nah seriously though, dudes use the word "hipsters" and proceed to describe a string of activities that aren't hip in any form or fashion. The trust-fund babies you speak of are yuppies. The "hipsters" I know prefer self-publishing and -distributing absurdist zines to blogging about hip-hop for mainstream media outlets. That shit aint poppin in Bushwick.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote::rofl: at you editing the quote to have a question mark. you're in full on smear campaign mode.
It's the ignore emoticon after the Nardwuar mention that confuses me.
I am referring to myself with the emoticon, not the ignore part. :naswtf: are you huffing?

Do you guys remember the fucking Nardwuar video with Drake where he pulls out the SBU album???

Jesus christ, how in god's name can any of you guys think I'd EVER disrespect Nardwuar? He's my friend. IN REAL LIFE. Malek's right: reading comprehension is nearly as low as honor and dignity around here. :bunk:

Truly, madly and deeply, I don't give a fucking shitting flying pissing fuck what any of y'all say or think: I AM A HIP HOP HISTORIAN. I don't care what any of your "opinions" about it are. I am 36 years old. I have been listening to hip hop culture since I was 5 years old. It doesn't matter if you AGREE or LIKE what I have to say. I AM THE ESSENCE OF THIS FUCKING CULTURE. My word is SOMETHING.

Y'all don't gotta like it. I never cared. I have thousands of other people who love what I write, and I've written for dozens of other media outlets. I did it to express truth and love, not because I wanted to be a journalist. I never went to university for journalism, I just put words together. I brought in my own writing style and musically educational perspective, and wrote what I felt needed to be written.

Putting in that question mark PROVES that delusion projecting, defamatory, slanderous, pathetic child is truly in full smear mode. I will not speak the names of you ignorant children. I will no longer respect your foolish behaviour. End your ignorance immediately and evolve, motherfuckers.

Peace to EMCEE DARTH MALEK, and my friend Nardwuar :ignore:

straight up:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:lol at you poor reading comprehension muthaphakkas dissing dude's writing style. he's giving daps to nardwaur, which shows this isn't about race at all, it's about being a fan/head vs having a tentative interest in the artists who are hot rn.
The wisest people in the world evolved far beyond race.

I treat people according to the content of their character... not the color of their skin.

The things some of you childish savages write about me prove the content of your character is not worth the best of my love and kindness.

Can you comprehend the words coming off of your screen? :ff:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

I got what you were saying MB, but you have to realize that to anyone that isn't you, the 'ignore' part of that emoticon is the main operative, and your face is only there because you perennially top the 'most ignored' charts. You can't pretend to be baffled by the confusion.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

step one

Post by step one »

Bender is a HIP HOP HISTORIAN

Why?

BECAUSE HE SAYS SO.

Surely there should be something to back up this slightly outlandish claim?

NO. FUCK YOU.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

putting aside whether he's entertaining or not, nardwuar is just as guilty of being a white outsider reporting on rap music in a detached fashion. hating him just doesn't particularly add to the "white people with beards are obsessed with chief keef" narrative

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ackbar wrote:putting aside whether he's entertaining or not, nardwuar is just as guilty of being a white outsider reporting on rap music in a detached fashion. hating him just doesn't particularly add to the "white people with beards are obsessed with chief keef" narrative
WRONG.

Nardwuar became one of HIP HOP'S PRE-EMINENT INTERVIEWERS BECAUSE HE SHOWS THAT HE FUCKING KNOWS AND LOVES HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE AND HISTORY JUST AS MUCH, IF NOT MORE THAN THE AVERAGE FAN, JOURNALIST, AND EVEN OCCASIONAL ARTIST.

When you are participating in an artform because you love it and it is part of your identity and it shapes your life's values and rituals and culture, not because you only are present when its your job, then you are no longer an outsider.

Nardwuar also cannot be considered a hipster in any way, shape or form. He's been the exact same fucking personality for like 2 decades. That dude is fucking bulletproof from all criticism, and the whole entire world of journalism and media would be infinitely richer and more worth our addicted attention spans if every journalist and reporter approached their work with the same amount of dedication, commitment, curiosity, research drive, originality and child-like passion that Nardwuar displays in every single one of his legendary interviews.

Nardwuar IS just like me. You don't gotta fuckin like him, word to Nas, but: YOU GOTTA FUCKING RESPECT HIM. Word to Pharrell.

There is some hip hop legend in Japan who is known across the country, but I don't know shit about him.
I don't care what you guys ignore about Mindbender, but I have done one or two things in my time. And will do three more.

but back to the point: ackbar, the best thing about Nardwuar isn't really his wacky personality: it's the RARE INFORMATION. Dude is the walking definition of modern edutainment. Multiples genres respect his gangster, no matter who else doesn't.
Obviously he is a modern encyclopedia of extremely obscure music knowledge.

Nardwuar is a living legend, and REAL MUSICIANS RESPECT REAL MUSIC WISDOM AND WORK, regardless of race or gender.

while the rest of the world bickers over racist and sexist bullshit... real artists just keep connecting through love and respect for truth.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

seagrams hotsauce wrote:I got what you were saying MB, but you have to realize that to anyone that isn't you, the 'ignore' part of that emoticon is the main operative, and your face is only there because you perennially top the 'most ignored' charts. You can't pretend to be baffled by the confusion.
I've used that emoticon dozens of times with no intention on emphasizing the "ignore" part, and I will continue to do so. :ignore:

it is MY FACE. i'll give it whatever meaning i want. :rofl:

peace to Malek. I thought my words were clear enough.

:kanyeshrug: :cas:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

nardwaur goes to show how an outsider can show respect by doing his homework. he doesn't show respect personally the way these stars are used to -- see nas, jay or wayne's interviews -- but he respects the music enough to do the research.

i mean you have popular magazines earnestly claiming that yeezus is the future of hiphop. don't read it, fine, but when you come across something like this it's laughably corny.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i respect nardwuar & agree he is knowledgable & does his homework. that doesn't mean he's not a "hip hop outsider"

who is this original article about? noz seems to be someone who gets targeted in these conversations. is he not also knowledgable & well researched??

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:I got what you were saying MB, but you have to realize that to anyone that isn't you, the 'ignore' part of that emoticon is the main operative, and your face is only there because you perennially top the 'most ignored' charts. You can't pretend to be baffled by the confusion.
I've used that emoticon dozens of times with no intention on emphasizing the "ignore" part, and I will continue to do so. :ignore:

Were you eating a hamburger during this post too?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Versive

Post by Versive »

I am the Phil Schaap of Ill Rap.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:

Were you eating a hamburger during this post too?
:rofl:

I am often found on the floor, eating hamburgers, while laughing.

and simultaneously grinning and clapping.

:hooray:

and saying "RAP JOURNALISM IS OUTTA CONTROL" :ohsh:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ackbar wrote:i respect nardwuar & agree he is knowledgable & does his homework. that doesn't mean he's not a "hip hop outsider"

who is this original article about? noz seems to be someone who gets targeted in these conversations. is he not also knowledgable & well researched??
in 1993, during the days of the Source and Rap Pages, I would agree that Nardwuar would be considered an outsider. Albeit, an outsider with a fucking A-PLUS knowledge of what and whoever he is talking about. Which starts to put in question the definition of an "outsider"...

But in 2014, hip hop is universal enough that anyone that is not Black/Latino can represent it, claim it and write about it... if you have a certain amount of experience with it, that hipsters DO NOT HAVE.

They often REJOICE in the fact that they are outsiders with a privileged distance from whatever they are celebrating... and exploiting/mocking.

The point exactly being lame motherfuckers who big up Chief Keef and Rick Ross type shit, and don't acknowledge the horrible conditions of the life that is spoken about in this brand of hardcore ghetto rap. You don't talk about blues artists without talking about their lives and where they come from. Not unless you're a shitty fucking writer with no compassion or intelligence.

seagrams hotsauce

Well, you can call money "kadinglebobs" for all I care. Doesn't mean anyone will have any idea what the fuck you're talking about. Jesus Christ.

seagrams hotsauce

Also plenty of people talk about all sorts of genres of music and artists without talking about their background. For many artists, it's difficult-to-impossible to enjoy their work without ignoring their personal lives. Saying you need to explore the environment from which someone came from when talking about their art is sophistic at best.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:nardwaur goes to show how an outsider can show respect by doing his homework. he doesn't show respect personally the way these stars are used to -- see nas, jay or wayne's interviews -- but he respects the music enough to do the research.
And he interviews people from various genres. Don't see why Nas et al are meant to be bowed down before because he's white and Canadian. Interviews Henry Rollins and Jello Biafra the same way he interviews Riff Raff and Chance the Rapper. He's an interviewer.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i agree with you precisely. in the nas interview nardwaur made the mistake of handing nas novelty items to look at without making clear that they are not gifts, but the other two are clearcut cases of ego.
Also plenty of people talk about all sorts of genres of music and artists without talking about their background. For many artists, it's difficult-to-impossible to enjoy their work without ignoring their personal lives. Saying you need to explore the environment from which someone came from when talking about their art is sophistic at best.
The artist's background matters because especially in hip hop personality is key. We need to know who this person is that's speaking to us.

When it comes to critics it's not their personal background that matters but their knowledge. Nardwaur is the perfect example of a dude who doesn't have the first but does have the second.
1. Nas
2. Drake

seagrams hotsauce

Doesn't matter that much. Rick Ross can tell you that much.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I started this thread and the only thing I got out of this is that step one and MB still have a crush on one another. Get a room.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

A Noisey writer will say something like this about the new YG album: "Parts of it sound so tough that you’ll want to karate chop through an 18-wheeler and then set it on fire then rob somebody."

But suggest that this is precisely the effect teh rap music has on the minds of disenfranchised, under-educated, often fatherless black boys in the hood.....and niggas start prevaricating like a muh fucka.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

ardamus wrote:I started this thread and the only thing I got out of this is that step one and MB still have a crush on one another. Get a room.
to be fair, the og article is pretty retarded - poorly conceived, poorly argued, based on straw men, stereotypes and generalizations, etc. so it's not surprising that the discussion around it is equally retarded.

which isn't to say that there aren't clueless white dudes out there who don't know much that about rap trying to write about rap, they definitely exist. but conflating them with other people who are actually very knowledgeable, massing them under the loose designation of 'hipsters' and then blaming this multitude as a single handed culprit for a variety of real and imaginary symptoms plaguing a infinitely complex genre that's constantly re-inventing itself....... well you know....
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I thought what some of the article said was spot on. He had some extra shit he was saying that I could've dealt without.

I get the whole meshing them with the educated folks who write decently. But they may have to seperate themselves from the pack in different ways. How? Beats me. But that's what it sounds like.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner