PF rappers on Spotify

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

PF rappers on Spotify

Post by Philaflava »

I see the new Intuition album is up. I know Atmosphere got most of their catalog. OME got some stuff. Ardamus I see just one album.

Can any of your who have music on there let me know so I can add it to a master playlist. Thanks.

http://open.spotify.com/user/opinionate ... 0LgXwizuaB

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Re: PF rappers on Spotify

Post by Blockhead »

Not a rapper, but I'm there too. Perfect for chill out rooms at your local rave.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

already got a few of your tracks on the list homie.

i should say ANY musician holla with your info.

Dids

Post by Dids »

How much do y'all see from that? I badgered my best friend into listening to Tui's album, which he's liked, so I assume Tui's got like 13 extra cents or something, but how much play to you have to get before that's a meaningful revenue stream?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I went thru CD Baby with that album which is why you see it. Might as well do it with the others.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I'm on there. You adding entire projects or want us to name individual tracks?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Dids wrote:How much do y'all see from that? I badgered my best friend into listening to Tui's album, which he's liked, so I assume Tui's got like 13 extra cents or something, but how much play to you have to get before that's a meaningful revenue stream?

I've heard it's some ridiculous shit like .00001% of a penny for every listen but, last royalty statement I got, the spotify money wasn't that bad so, either that percentage isn't real or I get more plays than lil' Wayne on spottily. I'mma assume it's the former.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I aint seen shit from it. Matter of fact, I didnt even know spotify had it. Any money Ive made from music have been shows, which I either pay a bill or two with, some hand to hand sales, or from bandcamp mainly. Then, there's grants , special projects (like the NIH thing I did with Open Mike Eagle and Silencio) and etc.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

:fail: shit still ain't in Canada, WTF :megafail:

:icedit:

OMG is it now?

FINALLYYYYY :cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Dids wrote:How much do y'all see from that? I badgered my best friend into listening to Tui's album, which he's liked, so I assume Tui's got like 13 extra cents or something, but how much play to you have to get before that's a meaningful revenue stream?
A friend of me told me he got a check for $2.00 after like a year of plays. Doesn't Spotify pay like $.0007 per play or some ridiculous # ? Apparently, labels just sells master for hundreds of thousands and tell Spotify to go wild. Nobody is really benefiting financially but it seems like a great promotional tool.​

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

:rofl: @ Mindbender tryna make excuses because he's been rapping 20 years but doesn't have a single song on Spotify.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Blockhead wrote:I've heard it's some ridiculous shit like .00001% of a penny for every listen but, last royalty statement I got, the spotify money wasn't that bad so, either that percentage isn't real or I get more plays than lil' Wayne on spottily. I'mma assume it's the former.
Haha. That's dope! This graphic might interest you...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/infobeautiful2/ ... ut_550.png

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

shit makes me want to kill myself, you have to rap for 1000 lives to see money from it.
NICE CAT!

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

keen x sid album
and thekeenone - shine single track

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

my first solo is album is on spotify

when i look at spotify as a musician?
"yeah, fuck spotify!"

when i look at spotify as a listener?
"spotify? fuck yeah!"

observe911

Post by observe911 »

You won't make money from spotify..I'm supposed to be on pandora but it's going thru the genome project right now...been a few months.l..Pandoras better cuz it's only 3 songs off your album and if they like it they can hit the link..I don't see the point of putting music on spotify unless you want to give it out for free..don't see how it would be used as a promotional tool..it's not like some random person is gonna come upon your album..
PAWGing

observe911

Post by observe911 »

Cryptic One wrote:my first solo is album is on spotify

when i look at spotify as a musician?
"yeah, fuck spotify!"

when i look at spotify as a listener?
"spotify? fuck yeah!"

Lol..true..
PAWGing

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

observe911 wrote:You won't make money from spotify..I'm supposed to be on pandora but it's going thru the genome project right now...been a few months.l..Pandoras better cuz it's only 3 songs off your album and if they like it they can hit the link..I don't see the point of putting music on spotify unless you want to give it out for free..don't see how it would be used as a promotional tool..it's not like some random person is gonna come upon your album..
i dunno man, ive ended up coming across random albums and artists on spotify that i continue to listen to and support. i feel like it it wasnt useful they wouldn't have the 'related artists' tab. ive also put lots of people onto music who can go to spotify and check it out before buying or going to see shit live

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

I'm on there.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Friend of mine texted me cause OME popped up on their Spotify and they remembered me playing some of his stuff. They are now a fan.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Spotify is a good way to get lazy/broke/picky people to give something a chance. I'd never be able to talk somebody into buying an album or streaming something off of somebody's site, but if they already consume all their music on spotify and you can just talk them into listening to something specific for a half hour, that's a win.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

The lack of :phila: on Google Music is disappointing.

observe911

Post by observe911 »

A Los Angeles band figured out a way to make $20,000 from Spotify by doing absolutely nothing.

The royalties started pouring in after Los Angeles band Vulfpeck wrote Sleepify, a completely silent album, and posted it to Spotify.

The scheme, intended to fund a tour of free shows, called for fans to stream the silent album through the night as they slept.

The band's fanbase is small—about 1,000 or so—and Spotify's royalty rate is only $.007 a stream, but the overnight plays began to add up.

Fans played the album nightly, each generating up to $3 as they slept, according to an interview in Vice. Spotify soon owed Vulfpeck a $20,000 royalty check.

Eventually the streaming service figured out what was going on.

"It's a clever stunt but we prefer Vulfpeck's earlier albums," Spotify spokesman Graham James said. "Sleepify seems derivative of John Cage's work."

Of course Spotify's sense of humor only goes so far—last week they made Vulfpeck remove the album, citing a violation of their terms and conditions.

UPDATE: As the band points out, they haven't actually received the full check—yet. "My guess is we will," Vulfpeck keyboardist Jack Stratton told Vice. "Spotify pays two months after the listen. So we'll know in May sometime."
PAWGing