Cormega - Mega Philosophy

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Neuro

Cormega - Mega Philosophy

Post by Neuro »

havent checked any Cormega in a very long time, This new album is nice, real nice

album streaming:

http://www.djbooth.net/index/albums/rev ... philosophy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"An artist, a true artist, in one way or another evolves. Mega Philosophy is my evolution. This is the album that I really wanted to show that I’m an artist. I’m not somebody who’s trying to live off of glorifying my past street life, I’m not somebody who’s trying to sensationalize or use beef or conflict or controversy [to sell albums]. I’m trying to show that I’m a creative artist. This is the album that will tell me if I belong on the list of hip-hop's greatest emcees. I’m a lyricist, an MC, but at the core, I'm a poet who recites over a beat."

The project packs 11 original jams, none of which has previously been featured on our pages. Included is lead single "Industry." AZ, Black Rob, Chantelle Nandi, Jarell Perry, Maya Azucena, Nature, Raekwon, Redman and Styles P. make guest appearances on the set, which is produced in its entirety by Large Professor.

01.A New Day Begins (Intro by Sadiki Bakari)
02.MARS (Dream Team) (ft. AZ, Redman and Styles P)
03.Industry
04.More (ft. Chantelle Nandi)
05.Reflection
06.D.U. (Divine Unity) (ft. Nature)
07.Honorable (ft. Raekwon)
08.Rap Basquiat
09.Rise (ft. Maya Azucena)
10.Home (ft. Black Rob)
11.Valuable Lessons

and various tracks streaming on youtube already if you want to check

claaa7

Re: Cormega - Mega Philosophy

Post by claaa7 »

no doubt the best album of the year so far and there's been quite some hot music released this year for sure!
every single track is flawless, Mega and Large Pro got an intense chemistry to say the least... 5/5
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i wouldnt go that far, but its good for sure

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Bought it off itunes this morning and think it's pretty good after one listen. The real verdict will come once I have listened to it a bunch of times for a week or so.

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

I like this a lot, and the launch show in Brooklyn last night was cool.

Brayden

Post by Brayden »

Album is fire the whole way through.
4.5/5 for now and it may jump up to 5/5 if it can stand up to the test of time (which I'm sure it will).
The Essence of Rap and Hip-Hop - for the latest underground hip-hop album reviews.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

gonna listen to this tonite. a couple of those song titles look like pretty boring topic wise but i'll give mega the benefit of the doubt & assume there's at least two or three songs on here with quality street stories

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

sooo hype to hear Nature and Mega together. that's BIG for anyone who gives a fuck about QB (which most young rap "fans" probably don't)

the new MARS looks even more awesome. AZ over Action Bronson FOREVER :copy:

Cormega Montana = NYC GOAT OF REALNESS IN RAP

:bow:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

dope. i still fux with True Meaning and a few others. gonna peep.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

will check this, thanks OP

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Joint with Nature is very ill.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

nice to see heads are enjoying this so far

:cheers:

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

album has a great flavor i would compare to blueprints respect the architect, but blueprint knows whats up in the rap game

cormega's perspective sounds honest but also i dont know if he knows whats really happening in hip hop besides mainstream outlets and his kin/ friends/ connections

so the whole hip hop is dying type themes dont hit as well (with me) but at the same time, i get what hes saying

the vibe of this album and the back to basics approach is dope as fuck though, i think it will resinate well as the listening continues

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Neuro wrote:album has a great flavor i would compare to blueprints respect the architect, but blueprint knows whats up in the rap game

cormega's perspective sounds honest but also i dont know if he knows whats really happening in hip hop besides mainstream outlets and his kin/ friends/ connections
not really sure what you're getting at here.. that he's being too reactionary against "the industry"?

i like the valuable lessons song. i'll have to give the rest of the shit a more thorough listen tomorrow. nothing else really caught my attention

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

RIP DRAWZ

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

It feels kinda weird to critique this because the execution is actually very on point - Mega raps his ass off, a lot of the stuff he says is fairly valid, the production is great... but it's like listening to a lecture. and it's not even an entertaining informative lecture, it's like being harangued by a parent for not trying hard enough in life.

I'm all for Mega dropping lessons, but they need to be packaged in a more interesting way. This comes off like like a dry audio-think piece from a conservative rap writer
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:It feels kinda weird to critique this because the execution is actually very on point - Mega raps his ass off, a lot of the stuff he says is fairly valid, the production is great... but it's like listening to a lecture. and it's not even an entertaining informative lecture, it's like being harangued by a parent for not trying hard enough in life.

I'm all for Mega dropping lessons, but they need to be packaged in a more interesting way. This comes off like like a dry audio-think piece from a conservative rap writer
I think we need time to let this sink in and do our best not to be reactionary. Let's be real, in light of rap's current landscape, its a bit jarring to all the sudden hear shit like this. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad though. Mega and large pro have earned the benefit of the doubt to not delete this shit off your computer after one listen...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I agree. I can't pinpoint all the negative stuff, I'll just say this is a good album that will more than likely have very little replay value for me. In fact, after this week I don't think I'll revisit it again.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Philaflava wrote:I agree. I can't pinpoint all the negative stuff, I'll just say this is a good album that will more than likely have very little replay value for me. In fact, after this week I don't think I'll revisit it again.
Yeah, I can't see this getting too many spins after a couple of weeks, however it's a good album that deserves praise. The subject matter is like a one shot thing for me, though, which is exactly why it won't get much play after a couple of weeks. It's stuff that needed to be said but doesn't need to be repeated. Album is dope for what it is, plain and simple.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

The beauty of his older work is how he managed to write street narratives that were poignant and moralistic, and he made his larger points through them. Here he delivers his points directly, and I think that wrapper of his criminal experiences to serve as a conduit is what's lacking.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

that's definitely true for me. i only want to hear cormega on some poetic street shit
the rest of this sounds really dated. like a diff rapper from 2002 or something

not really feeling some of the beats either

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

I think I got to the part about "saggin spelled backwards" and I went to find something else to listen to.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

ackbar wrote:
Neuro wrote:album has a great flavor i would compare to blueprints respect the architect, but blueprint knows whats up in the rap game

not really sure what you're getting at here.. that he's being too reactionary against "the industry"?

what im saying is its a tired subject that everybody already knows about ,even though i get where hes coming from, if he really wants to address the issue he should just take stance and have lyrics go to other more personable subject matters , which he does on other songs

step one

Post by step one »

sleazy_j wrote: "saggin spelled backwards"
:ohhh:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

welp, it got some spins from me. to each his own. i really don't see Mega remaking anything he's already done if that's what all of you want. if that's the case you might as well keep "Built For This" and "Verbal Grafitti" on repeat. then again, i always felt him and Large Pro make a good team.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

It's a good album - better than Born & Raised, not as good as The Realness or The True Meaning.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Cool album but simply too much singing on it... Great for the rest of the industry standards but it's not True Meaning or Realness or Testament levels by any means...
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

only 3 tracks with singing. and the singing isnt bad on it and also far from being too much

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Dusty Fingers wrote:Cool album but simply too much singing on it... Great for the rest of the industry standards but it's not True Meaning or Realness or Testament levels by any means...
were you really expecting it to be tho?

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

I expected him to have some live songs on it... this is an absolute snore fest... this is coming from a HUGE mega fan... it's just not up to par and if this is the direction he plans on going in I'm probably going to be off of this ship
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...