the biting epidemic

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

the biting epidemic

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

When I first heard action bronson it was on RZA's chamber music joint featuring him & ghost. I heard the first verse and i'm like damn, ghost is a little off today. Then ghost starts rapping.

Since then I've kind of dismissed bronson. I will check for the odd joint. I liked the stuff with party supplies. But I even went so far as to miss a free show cause 'fuck it' (incidentally ghost & rae were performing 2hrs later, made it for that).

Now i'm in a crisis though. I like yung thug & droog even though they are biters of perhaps a higher caliber. I wish nas was still nasty & wayne was still rapping. These young dudes won't blow my mind with some real next shit, but i can slip into their music comfortably like an old pair of sneaks.

Can't a rapper fall off in peace anymore?? You miss a couple albums and then some young dude comes out sounding like you and scoops up your fanbase. Is this how kool moe dee felt?

I don't want to eat teriyaki wok with a bitch look like an ewok. I do want to save that hoe like danny glover. And... fuck it, i might just ride off into the sunset with bronsolinio...
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

DLG

Re: the biting epidemic

Post by DLG »

who is young thug biting?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

people, well maybe not as many anymore due to the sudden backlash, will defend droog because they will say his content is better right now than nasir. it's kinda refreshing i suppose. the reality is, this dude does not naturally sound like this. his voice is purposely altered and it was a wise move because had it not been, do you honestly think he would have received this much attention?

im sure it took him years to perfect that sound. i have no problem with people altering voices. b-real does it. i'm sure aesop does it. these people don't naturally talk like this. rakim talks like he raps. ghostface talks like he raps. tyler talks like he raps. but some of these "biters" sounds nothing like they would off the mic. my problem is the biting vs. originality. nobody sounds like aesop. i don't even know if people could try and duplicate his sound. his sound is what adds to his allure. not much different than droog. but droog isn't original which is my issue. that and the fact i am having a hard time accepting what he looks like vs. what he sounds like because i'm set in my old stubborn silly ways.

guerilla black is somewhere in a wal-mart stocking shelves right now.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:people, well maybe not as many anymore due to the sudden backlash, will defend droog because they will say his content is better right now than nasir. it's kinda refreshing i suppose. the reality is, this dude does not naturally sound like this. his voice is purposely altered and it was a wise move because had it not been, do you honestly think he would have received this much attention?
I agree that he got way more attention that he ever would have cause of his voice and he definitely played into it on social media to great effect. I'd even say he was trolling people with some of the things he said and some of the beats he used ("Free Turkey dinner" being the most over the top)
But where are you getting the "his voice does not naturally sound like that" part? That's what he sounds like. He doesn't go out of his way to sound like Nas. That's his voice. Did you watch the live clips? There's no "captain murphy" shit going on with him. That's literally how he sounds. It's not like he's on one Iggy Azalea shit either where it's all a fake accent. he seems just like a scum bag from brooklyn and sounds like it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

around the dinner table with ma and pa he does not sound like it. stop it. maybe brooklyn wigs beef it up around one another but my issue isn't so much with how he sounds, its that he is trying to sound like somebody who already sounds like that and who just happens to be arguably the greatest rapper ever.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

His whiteness infuriates you, huh? If he was Puerto Rican would this be as big an issue to you?
I gotta say, I was SHOCKED when i heard he was a white dude simply based off his voice alone. But, as far as the accent/inflections go, most brooklyn/queens dudes i've ever met who are that deep into their wiggardry actually do talk like that to their parents at the dinner table.
Again, his voice is a lot like Nas. His flow, content and everything else? Not so much. Give him Big daddy Kane's voice and not a single person would ever be like "Yo, he sounds like kane…but raps like Nas!", Been saying that since the jump.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:His whiteness infuriates you, huh? If he was Puerto Rican would this be as big an issue to you?
I gotta say, I was SHOCKED when i heard he was a white dude simply based off his voice alone. But, as far as the accent/inflections go, most brooklyn/queens dudes i've ever met who are that deep into their wiggardry actually do talk like that to their parents at the dinner table.
Again, his voice is a lot like Nas. His flow, content and everything else? Not so much. Give him Big daddy Kane's voice and not a single person would ever be like "Yo, he sounds like kane…but raps like Nas!", Been saying that since the jump.
his whiteness doesn't infuriate me. nothing infuriates me about him, i'm just not as interested. sure i'm stuck in my ways where i expect people to act/talk/look a certain way. i realize that notion is ridiculously but it is what it is. the part that annoys me about droog is that he played into this nas thing, which to me, means he knows what he is doing and he used that as leverage to gain notoriety. and on the few samples i heard, he does sound a lot like nas content, delivery, cadences. so to me, i feel he is trying to play that into his schtick. it worked, i'm just not buying, others do.

i've always been a fan of genuine rappers and even though there are a few, originality comes 2nd to that.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

DLG wrote:who is young thug biting?
He's gonna say Future, and he'll be wrong

PEACE

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

^^he implied Wayne.

Thugger's flow is pretty reminiscent of ODB's, imo, and I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:^^he implied Wayne.
Oh. That was vague. And still wrong.

PEACE

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Thugger's flow is pretty reminiscent of ODB's, imo, and I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
prob a reason you haven't seen that mentioned anywhere

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

young thug=wayne with more surp
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Philaflava wrote:
Blockhead wrote:His whiteness infuriates you, huh? If he was Puerto Rican would this be as big an issue to you?
his whiteness doesn't infuriate me. nothing infuriates me about him, i'm just not as interested. sure i'm stuck in my ways where i expect people to act/talk/look a certain way. i realize that notion is ridiculously but it is what it is. the part that annoys me about droog is that he played into this nas thing, which to me, means he knows what he is doing and he used that as leverage to gain notoriety. and on the few samples i heard, he does sound a lot like nas content, delivery, cadences. so to me, i feel he is trying to play that into his schtick. it worked, i'm just not buying, others do.

i've always been a fan of genuine rappers and even though there are a few, originality comes 2nd to that.
3 posts already in this thread=infuriated

i get if you don't respect unoriginality. the droog EP=straight nasir.

what i don't get is your insistence that this dude is fake. the easiest thing to do to your voice is pitch it up or down a bit -- droog keeps his an octave lower. TRUE he let people believe the conspiracy. BUT not by playing into it musically. more recent tracks dropping are still nasty but not NASty.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

or nah.
he sort of has some of the same cadence as wayne at times.. but so does chance the rapper & 100 other people. he raps nothing like weezy

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

:phila: has hangups when it comes to white rappers. he's made 100s of posts that prove that
it's all good tho.. i have my own preferences & opinions on rap that some have claimed to be problematic in the past

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

thugga is weezey conspiracy theory >>> droog is nas conspiracy theory

picture this: im semi retirement, wayne is leanin everyday.... has he really stopped recording aside from the odd YM collab? no, he's been poppin off in the studio under a new name in a new direction...
1. Nas
2. Drake

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

that's unfair to thugga in all ways. wayne has already peaked & young thug is just heating up

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

I never got the Wayne comparisons, think Im only hearing it a bit now cos people mention it so much

the distinction between similar voices and actual bitingseems like its hardly ever made. Das Efx, Onyx, Mac Dre, Run DMC, 2Pac, Kanye, Cam, Scarface, 3 6 like theres a big list of people who are bitten/inlfuence but freak shit like Guerilla Black(idk, whos listened to a whole Guerilla Black song) is hardly biting. Like "migos flow" is clearly people using a specific cadence. if you ignore the voice Bronson has more in common with late period Raekwon than ghost imo

Dunno where it starts and ends with Shyne though.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

ackbar wrote:that's unfair to thugga in all ways. wayne has already peaked & young thug is just heating up
Also Im fairly sure Wayne uses way less drugs now than he did at his peak. Successful paroles basically rehab. Then again clean pissbag handlers are likely on deck

hustler

Post by hustler »

why listen to thugga when you could just go back and listen to wayne doin the same thing but way better circa carter 2?
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Req

Post by Req »

I stayed away from it because I thought the whole thing was corny as fuck, but this Droog cat sounds nothing like Nas. Then again I never thought Shyne sounded particularly like Biggie either.

this dude on the other hand...

F.U. MOOLAH

hustler

Post by hustler »

shyne doesnt sound like biggie
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

hustler wrote:why listen to thugga when you could just go back and listen to wayne doin the same thing but way better circa carter 2?
they're not doing the same thing. they rap differently
even at his most experimental & high weezy is still way more about "bars" than thugga

Versive

Post by Versive »

I thought Chance the Rapper was the Lil Wayne sound-alike

My two cents: rappers have been copying each other forever, sometimes the copycat becomes better than the original and in that instance this must be acknowledged, however bitterly.

Req

Post by Req »

Versive wrote:sometimes the copycat becomes better than the original
such as?
F.U. MOOLAH

Versive

Post by Versive »

As I've said earlier, I think Droog's current material is better than Nas's latest material. Others have echoed this and are rightfully mad about it.

step one

Post by step one »

Req wrote:
Versive wrote:sometimes the copycat becomes better than the original
such as?
Black Milk >> J Dilla
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Req

Post by Req »

Versive wrote:As I've said earlier, I think Droog's current material is better than Nas's latest material. Others have echoed this
yeah but no.

even at 40 Nas shits all over this dude.

F.U. MOOLAH

step one

Post by step one »

I hate being reminded that J Cole has a Rap career
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

even at his most experimental & high weezy is still way more about "bars" than thugga
true. he sounds like if wayne truly went off the deep end.

req dude i know it was hard to stay outta the droog thread. but the fact that so many out there bought into the conspiracy should tell you something. but you gotta see for yourself. so light one and listen to droog's EP with the vocals pitched up

you know you want this
1. Nas
2. Drake